Equinox illness 2/2015

singnrn

This update:

Over 100 Sick With GI Bug On Celebrity Equinox

Posted on February 22, 2015 by Jim Walker

Over 100 people are ill with vomiting and diarrhea aboard the Celebrity Equinox cruise ship which is returning to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on a ten day cruise, according to cruise expert Dr. Ross Klein.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 95 out of 2896 passengers (3.28%) and 7 out of 1209 crew members (0.58%) became ill during the cruise with noro-like symptoms.

The CDC has not yet figured out whether the sicknesses were caused by norovirus.

Norovirus can be caused by contaminated food or water, contaminated surfaces or by hand-to-hand contact between infected crew members or passengers.

The cruise line always blames the passengers for not washing their hands. I suppose that happens, but it's far from the only explanation.

The CDC never discloses why the virus spreads. I wonder why?

Actually, it's no secret how or why the norovirus spreads. It's a very common virus found in schools, malls, hospitals, airplanes.....basically anywhere you have a large group of people you'll find it. It's mainly present in the intestinal tracts of infected persons, so is most often spread by contact with someone who has not washed effectively after using the washroom.

We were passengers on the Equinox cruise that returned yesterday and I can tell you that the entire ship staff was very vigilant in following all the increased cleaning procedures that are implemented whenever there is any indication of an increased number of gastro illnesses. It's surprising to me that so many passengers disregard the many warnings and recommendations that could help them stay healthy.

As a passenger, I appreciate all Celebrity's efforts to control outbreaks such as this.

We were also onboard that sailing and the crew did an outstanding job. It caused much more work for the crew, but they still exuded friendliness and joy to all the passengers. What was distressing is how many times they had to announce a passengers name who had been put in quarantine but disregarded that and left their cabins anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were also on this cruise. Thee crew worked so hard and were diligent about trying to stop the spread of Noro virus. Even with all the extra work they continued to smile.

We met one person that was sick while onboard. She said they were great to her but very strict about what she could and could not do--including limited selections for eating in her room. Bland food only. She said the symptoms lasted 24 hours.

The worst part of the cruise was disembarkation in Port Everglades. At most were 3-4 customs officers manning their posts(8 available stations). We left our room at 8am and were not through customs until 11:30. What a mess! Of course at that point, we were all in one line and all the strict onboard cleaning regimen didn't matter anymore. Who knows what we were exposed to as we walked back and forth by each other at least 10 times in a seemingly endless line.

The Equinox looks great and we really enjoyed ourselves. I am so sorry for those that were sick. My husband and I got tickled today about how many times we found ourselves washing our hands to the tune of Happy Birthday. We were diligent on the ship and it continued to home.

Edited by SkystheLimit
spelling

Actually, it's no secret how or why the norovirus spreads. It's a very common virus found in schools, malls, hospitals, airplanes.....basically anywhere you have a large group of people you'll find it. It's mainly present in the intestinal tracts of infected persons, so is most often spread by contact with someone who has not washed effectively after using the washroom.

We were passengers on the Equinox cruise that returned yesterday and I can tell you that the entire ship staff was very vigilant in following all the increased cleaning procedures that are implemented whenever there is any indication of an increased number of gastro illnesses. It's surprising to me that so many passengers disregard the many warnings and recommendations that could help them stay healthy.

As a passenger, I appreciate all Celebrity's efforts to control outbreaks such as this.

We were near the shop one evening after being made aware of the virus & I couldn't believe the comments I heard. Some people should not be allowed to have child.

We were also on this cruise. Thee crew worked so hard and were diligent about trying to stop the spread of Noro virus. Even with all the extra work they continued to smile.

We met one person that was sick while onboard. She said they were great to her but very strict about what she could and could not do--including limited selections for eating in her room. Bland food only. She said the symptoms lasted 24 hours.

The worst part of the cruise was disembarkation in Port Everglades. At most were 3-4 customs officers manning their posts(8 available stations). We left our room at 8am and were not through customs until 11:30. What a mess! Of course at that point, we were all in one line and all the strict onboard cleaning regimen didn't matter anymore. Who knows what we were exposed to as we walked back and forth by each other at least 10 times in a seemingly endless line.

The Equinox looks great and we really enjoyed ourselves. I am so sorry for those that were sick. My husband and I got tickled today about how many times we found ourselves washing our hands to the tune of Happy Birthday. We were diligent on the ship and it continued to home.

We were also on this cruise and was very impressed with the crew. We felt sorry for them. I hope they managed to eradicate this bug before the other guests got on.

This was our first time on Celebrity & won't be our last.

Not sure what happen to you. Our number was suppose to get called at 8:00 but ended up by being called at 8:20. By 9:40 we were at the Fort Lauderdale airport.

This update:

Over 100 people are ill with vomiting and diarrhea aboard the Celebrity Equinox cruise ship which is returning to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on a ten day cruise, according to cruise expert Dr. Ross Klein.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 95 out of 2896 passengers (3.28%) and 7 out of 1209 crew members (0.58%) became ill during the cruise with noro-like symptoms.

The CDC has not yet figured out whether the sicknesses were caused by norovirus.

Norovirus can be caused by contaminated food or water, contaminated surfaces or by hand-to-hand contact between infected crew members or passengers.

The cruise line always blames the passengers for not washing their hands. I suppose that happens, but it's far from the only explanation.

Here's the update. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/february23_celebrity_equinox.htm

142 guest & 8 crew members

Edited by PowMacP

As another passenger on the most recent Equinox sailing (hi Rich & Sue), let me agree with everyone that said that everything that could be done was definitely done by the crew. Of course, their work did not end when we disembarked. They were left behind to continue to clean & get ready for the next group. All of the stewards that we saw disinfecting the staterooms appeared to be wearing something similar to a hazmet suit. Obviously not, but that was the look of their attire...and again, they were still pleasant.

And since the virus is not airborne, we were safe standing in that seemingly endless line at Port Everglades.

Good news is we are all home safe & sound.

Our good friends boarded on Monday after the cleaning. Everyone was allowed onboard around 2:00 so they could have lunch and do the muster drill. But weren't allowed into their rooms until 7:00. And they were in a suite. So no priority treatment. They had specialty dining reservations, so they went to dinner in their casual boarding clothes. They didn't hear of anyone too bothered as most people understand the extensive cleaning was needed.

We too were on the cruise and totally agree, the staff did an amazing job under stressful conditions. My brother/wife had breakfast the last morning with a couple that said this was the worst cruise they had ever been on and could not believe they could not get their own food, drinks, salt and pepper shakers, etc. Some people just don't get it. While some of the steps taken made the buffet and dining more difficult it was easy on us compared to the crew. The only thing I thought was slightly bothersome was the gauntlet of shop workers that tried to get you to use sanitizer as you passed their shop. So about every 20 feet...they were trying to squirt us even if they saw you had just been squirted.

My wife and I were also on this cruise and while I also felt sorry for the extra work that was required of the wait staff and other employees they unfortunately we're not the only people inconvenienced! While I appreciated the extra effort I was somewhat put off by the CD stating the ship did not give the passengers the Noro the passengers gave the Noro to the ship. I would have appreciated just a brief comment indicating the fact Equinox appreciated the passengers inconvenience and understanding of the situation. Just my .02

Pardsie

My wife and I were also on this cruise and while I also felt sorry for the extra work that was required of the wait staff and other employees they unfortunately we're not the only people inconvenienced! While I appreciated the extra effort I was somewhat put off by the CD stating the ship did not give the passengers the Noro the passengers gave the Noro to the ship. I would have appreciated just a brief comment indicating the fact Equinox appreciated the passengers inconvenience and understanding of the situation. Just my .02

Pardsie

Curious what you were referring to about the CD statements? Are you saying he/she said that? If so it was in fact ill-advised. It is true that a ship itself cannot bring noro onboard. But a sick crew member could. Or supplies/food could be contaminated with the virus. Or it could be a passenger. But not a very customer friendly remark for sure

Looking forward to sailing on the Equinox in a little over a week, so hopefully this current sailing goes smoothly.

I'm amazed, and grossed-out, by how often I see people leave the restroom without washing their hands-Adults! While I'm standing at the sink someone is leaving the urinal or a stall without washing?! (this is at sea and on land). Does this go on in the lady's room as well?

So I'm not surprised that when I have to grab the same serving spoon as the person before me in the buffet line that it might not be clean. Heck, on the last cruise I watched a guy throw back a piece of toast that was overdone, by hand, into the pile where someone else would grab it (yes, I let the cook know so he could toss it).

Would it be silly to have a non-latex glove on your "grabbing" hand to use while self-serving at the buffet, and then discard it before you eat?? I may be wrong but it seems like the buffet serving spoons and tongs are where many people pass the virus. I also see people try to dodge the hand sanitizer on the way in.

Looking forward to sailing on the Equinox in a little over a week, so hopefully this current sailing goes smoothly.

I'm amazed, and grossed-out, by how often I see people leave the restroom without washing their hands-Adults! While I'm standing at the sink someone is leaving the urinal or a stall without washing?! (this is at sea and on land). Does this go on in the lady's room as well?

So I'm not surprised that when I have to grab the same serving spoon as the person before me in the buffet line that it might not be clean. Heck, on the last cruise I watched a guy throw back a piece of toast that was overdone, by hand, into the pile where someone else would grab it (yes, I let the cook know so he could toss it).

Would it be silly to have a non-latex glove on your "grabbing" hand to use while self-serving at the buffet, and then discard it before you eat?? I may be wrong but it seems like the buffet serving spoons and tongs are where many people pass the virus. I also see people try to dodge the hand sanitizer on the way in.

Germs can certainly spread at the buffet, for this and a variety of reasons. Rather than bringing a glove, I just bring along a hand sanitizer or wipe and clean my hands again before starting to eat.

You've seen comments above about legitimate reasons people 'dodge' the hand sanitizer. Not washing hands in the restroom? Yes, women do it too and yes, that is very gross.

Edited by phoenix_dream

This update:

Just watch some of the pax in the Buffet area & you'll see how it spreads!! I don't hesitate to "call out" these pax in front of everyone else(quite loudly,in fact!)when I see them handling food with their hands..Yuckk!! Public embarrassment does get the results.It's nasty, but someone has to correct bad behavior like that & trust me the staff certainly won't.

I have NO proble whatsoever in telling pax to "wash your hands"! Always best to say it loudly, so others hear!

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. My opinion about calling out others 'loudly' is that at best it may possibly get them to change their behavior for that instance. I seriously doubt it changes anything going forward when you are not around to berate them. In fact, out of spite they may increase that type of behavior.

At worst, it also may get you into a very uncomfortable and perhaps even worse type of exchange. Honestly, if I were to walk past the hand sanitizer machine without using it because I know I just left the restroom after a thorough hand washing and I was loudly confronted and embarrassed I would report that behavior to the maître d' or someone else in charge. I do not pay a lot of money to go on cruises to have other passengers deliberately embarrass me in public because I do not meet their standards in some way (not that I would leave a restroom without washing hands, but still).

I, too, was on this Equinox sailing and second everything that has been said about all the hard work the crew was doing and how much it was appreciated. Nevertheless, we were fortunate that this noro outbreak didn't happen until a week into the cruise because all the necessary precautions definitely take away from the total cruise experience. The constant presense of staff squirting hand sanitizer, slowdowns in the dining areas, and items removed from cabins would certainly discourage new cruisers, especially. This is at least the second Celebrity cruise I've been on to experience a noro outbreak and I much prefer the ones without one. I'm no epidemiologist, but I would guess that folks (passengers or crew) not washing hands after using the bathroom would be a likely source. Why anyone would be so thoughtless is beyond me. Is it possible that some people aren't aware how easily germs are spread when they don't wash after toiletting?

People are aware, but many do not care. Suggest standing in an airport restroom for a few minutes and watch the number of people leaving that do not wash their hands. No difference for disease transmission there than compared to a ship.

Also remember more people contract noro on airplanes than on ships according to the CDC. Taking a couple of wipes to use on the arms of your seat, tray and other places might save you getting sick.

I'm sailing on the Equinox March 6th. Such a beautiful ship, we sailed on her to Italy a couple of years ago. I hope things improve on the ship by then (health wise). So sad that you save up and wait for sometimes long periods of time for your cruise, and then to get sick.....so awful! Kudos to the staff and conscientious passengers on board for proper hygiene. Compared to crowded airports, airplanes, subways etc etc, our ship is actually probably the cleanest environment we could be in. Its up to each individual to be diligent and practice good hand washing techniques. :)

We were on the Equinox almost two months ago. Everything was fine for our southern Caribbean Cruise.

However, after 19 cruises, I was surprised at the laxity of some procedures. No special precautions for the first 48-72 hrs in buffet area (which HAL does and I think Princess, too).

But the worst? Once you are in the buffet area and you desire more food, there is NO restriction to going back through the buffet line. That is, no hand sanitizer required.

People as we know during their meal often will:, touch their mouth, their eyes, their nose.. yuccckkkkkk.

The other thing I noticed? Not many, but a few people 'snacking' in line. Grabbing this or that and putting it to their mouth and then going on touching all the serving utensils.

This is how colds, flu, and norovirus are spread easily.

We're on the Equinox in 2+ weeks. I think this is a great idea of something to pack - latex gloves. They would be very handy - specially if Noro is still circulating around the ship.

Melissa

It is not the cruise line that blames the passengers, it is the medical community world wide.

Someone uses the restroom and does not wash, then shakes your hand or touches a door knob that you touch next. You then wipe your mouth :eek: rub your face :eek: scratch your nose :eek: it's over.

Wonder how the Equinox is doing? It's in the middle of it's 11 day sailing and no one on board has posted to say whether or not they are still Code Red.

Boarding the Equinox on Friday, March 6th and am eagerly awaiting news.

Wonder how the Equinox is doing? It's in the middle of it's 11 day sailing and no one on board has posted to say whether or not they are still Code Red.

Boarding the Equinox on Friday, March 6th and am eagerly awaiting news.

Hey Rick! We are on the same route in Nov. If you would be so kind to keep a copy of the shore excursion flyer, we are still looking for something in Dominica.

EW