Barcelona pickpockets - Article in Newsweek on-line

marazul

Regardless of the comparison, Spanish law it's stupid and should be changed for good. Tha famous 400€ barrier, has just made it so easy for many Eastern Europeans bands to organize and live out of that.

I don't find pickpocketing or crime to be a serious problem in Mallorca, and the statistics show that crime level is much lower than Barcelona. Not all Spanish /Mediterranean cities are the same, even if very we live out of tourism. You might be pick pocked in here as well, only you have less chances. Of course if you walk with 18.000€ in cash and cards with the PIN written on them you're just risking it a bit!

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Spain&country2=United+States&city1=Palma+De+Mallorca&city2=Fort+Lauderdale%2C+FL

That is a great article and we thank Marazul for posting the link. But the writer should have also mentioned that pickpockets are a problem throughout many European tourist cities and these thieves are very good at what they do. We have managed to travel extensively in Europe for over thirty years and never have anything "lifted." But both DW and I take some basic precautions and always try to be alert to our surroundings. Our assumption is always that somebody will try to pick my pocket (and snatch DWs purse) and we act accordingly.

But the problem in Spain is the government. They need to treat these pickpockets (many of them are gypsies/Roma) as criminals and not "guests" trying to earn a living in their country. We think the problem has become much worse since the establishment of the EU and open borders that allow thieves from Bulgaria and Romania to freely move around the countries. We ourselves have foiled attempts in Arles (France), Bologna (Italy) and in Istanbul (not part of the EU). In Arles it was a gypsy family (2 young boys backed-up by a few adults) and in Bologna it was a gypsy woman (who I had to hit several times to get her to back off).

But the reality for we tourists is that Europe has this big problem, they refuse to deal with it, so tourists need to protect themselves by taking precautions. Although no precaution is 100%, we can at least tell ourselves that professional thieves look for the "easy mark" rather then the difficult target.

Hank

We are originally from New York so I'm not to worried. But I wonder if I should make a bait wallet with some pins and razor blades? Would I be liable for assault?

ROFL! In NYC you might have a guy shoot you in the head and then take all your valuables. But in Europe they are usually more skilled and usually do no physical harm. I used to carry an empty "bait" wallet in my back pocket but nobody ever took the thing. But we have foiled several pickpocket (and one purse snatching) over the years (in France, Italy and Istanbul), but this was accomplished by simply being aware of our surroundings and securing our valuables in a front pocket secured with a large safety pin.

Hank

Just got back from Barcelona and Yep i got turned over.......

Was really careful wore my bag under my coat, money in zipped outer compartment.

Waiting to go into our time slot at the Sadrada Familia across the road in the little park when approached by a group of girls brandishing clipboards shouting about Diabilty rights, i actually turned to walk away but DH got surrounded by them and i went to drag him away but was soon enveloped too, to get rid of the darn pests i agreed to sign the petion she thrust in my face on the clipboard. Then they vanished as quick as they had appeared.

It wan't until 3hrs later when i went to buy a coffee that i realised they had dipped my bag pocket of some 140 euros! She must have done it whilst i signed the clipboard which covered my sightline to my bag.

Lesson learn't for future expeditions to keep only a small amount of money in my bag and keep the rest in the zipper pouch of my coat where its less obvious.

It didn't spoil our time in Barcelona which is an awesome city to visit, money is only money and we both came home safe which is the main thing, just after all my carefulness i feel so stupid for getting done over!!

2BACruiser

Waiting to go into our time slot at the Sadrada Familia across the road in the little park when approached by a group of girls brandishing clipboards shouting about Diabilty rights, i actually turned to walk away but DH got surrounded by them and i went to drag him away but was soon enveloped too, to get rid of the darn pests i agreed to sign the petion she thrust in my face on the clipboard. Then they vanished as quick as they had appeared. It wan't until 3hrs later when i went to buy a coffee that i realised they had dipped my bag pocket of some 140 euros!

I'm so very sorry that you got pickpocketed, but thank you for sharing your experience. The more we talk about pickpocketing scams and precautions, the better we all protect ourselves.

For anyone traveling to Europe for the first time, here's what you do if you're surrounded by strangers: Assume you've been targeted for pickpocketing and scream "Pickpockets! Pickpockets!"

If they aren't pickpockets, you won't have made friends, but the odds are very, very high -- as in the case of our helpful poster --that they are pickpockets. This type of petty thief wants, above all, not to have attention called to him- or herself. Don't even yell "help!" which draws more attention to you than to the thieves. Just yell "pickpockets!" and the group will likely scatter and walk away in different directions as normally as possible. (Running away just draws attention to themselves.)

To succeed, pickpocketers are trading on tourist confusion and our good nature. They're know they're being annoying, but they're hoping we'll focus so much on what appears to be happening -- signing a petition -- that we don't process what is really happening! They're also hoping we'll be reluctant to make a scene and scream in the midst of what appears to be a harmless activity like signing a petition for disability rights.

Travelers should try to learn about the classic pickpocketing scams. (Mothers carrying babies, signatures on a petition, and mustard on your clothes being cleaned by "helpers" are some of the classics.) But, above all, do not rely only on neck wallets, pinned bags, etc. Nothing beats situational awareness and just the right amount of suspicion. Don't worry that screaming "pickpockets" will mark you as rude. Other tourists will understand and sympathize for your outburst and, perhaps, appreciate your reminding them to be vigilant.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 2 weeks later...

I yelled "Pickpockets" on a bus in Lisbon as they tried to pick my husbands

front pocket after he paid the bus fare and put his wallet back!! They scattered so fast!! The guy was right there with her and she was going to pass it off to him on the ground! I SCREAMED it! They got nothing.

Sherry

...to get rid of the darn pests i agreed to sign the petion she thrust in my face on the clipboard. Then they vanished as quick as they had appeared....

Yes, a common scam. Sorry you were pick-pocketed.

Travelers should try to learn about the classic pickpocketing scams. (Mothers carrying babies, signatures on a petition, and mustard on your clothes being cleaned by "helpers" are some of the classics.)

Agreed. I hate that this is happening but we all need to be vigilant and aware of our surroundings, not giving anyone the slightest opportunity.

The more I read about Europe I just wonder if this cruise is worth the trouble!

Actually, I would be mroe anxious that something criminal would happen to me in Boston than in Barcelona.

Barcelona is no doubt an area for pickpockets but there are so many tourists with backpacks on their back, bulging pockets ( front and back) with wallets, purses and phones on tables etc.... Easy targets... I couldn't believe it!!

Do ur research and u will most likely be fine..I did, I knew about all the scams. I felt safe.

Paris seemed worse to me. I saw the scams everywhere and tourists signing petitions etc...it was unbelievable. I felt safe though as I was pretty careful.

Fort Lauderdale- I had my wallet, passport etc in my purse hanging on my shoulder walking down the street by the beach and a thief stoled the girls purse off her shoulder right behind me. I had just been thinking minutes before if I should leave the passports and some cc in hotel but didn't, I thought, nothing will happen, I'm in Fort Lauderdale not barcelona....lol..

Just do ur homework.barcelona is my favorite city!!it is definitely worth going!!

I did a tour in Barcelona and the girl had a call if she spotted the pick pockets as she said she's learned which ones are which because they frequent the same areas each day. We were okay. Never heard the call that day. I saw the pick pockets in Paris and they kept asking if people spoke English. They got one American girl, which I walked right up to her and said "they're going to try to pick pocket you. Throw the clipboard on the ground loudly." Of course, the woman got in my face and I replied "Blah Blah Blah. Go get an honest job and get your face out of mine." Police showed up within a few minutes and they dispersed their army within four minutes.

• 1 month later...

Yikes! We got picked by a mother/daughter team yesterday on the Metro. It was a crowded train and they boxed us in as we got on. My wife and I are in our late sixties, so we pushed our way in, away from the doors. However, our son, who lives in Barcelona and knows better, got jammed up against the entrance door with his hands up to hold on. He is distracted, keeping an eye on us. The young girl appears confused and falls into him while her mother goes through his pockets, all of them. They were good. He didn't know he had been picked until they were off the train.

He went back to the station and went through all the trash. He found five wallets. Unfortunately, none of them his. He lost 50 Euro, a debit card and a Florida ID. They let him keep his iPhone and keys. His wallet was deep in his front pocket.

During busy periods, take a taxi. It's not worth the risk.

Just imagine you catch them, wrestle your stuff back, only to have the mother yell "rape". Now, your problems are just starting.

Edited by RVRoadie