ncl. ultimate drink package READ / CALL

ncldawn

I looked at the roll call thread - do not see original posters name on the meet and greet list. There are however some long time posters on the roll call thread - computer works, peg013, mommyto2girls and others. I posted a link to this thread and asked if anyone on board who happens to check Cruise Critic could fill us in.

I absolutely do not believe the choice would be down to 10 or so drinks on the Unlimited Beverage Package. There were at least 10 drinks on just the Sugarcane Mojito Bar menu and I believe they were all included in the package. If the cruise were out of Texas I would think it could be a first day only liquour law thing. Since not Texas either a misunderstanding or someone having a little early April Fools Day "fun".

We just got off the Gem today and had the beverage package. You could order anything you wanted.

There is no "menu of beverage package drinks" per say.

There are menus of drinks at the bars but that doesn't mean that is all you are allowed to order.

We drink Grey Goose and club soda with a twist of lime. That's what I order and that's what I get.

There are all sorts of wines and beers.

I'm not one for sweet drinks but I will occasionally have one. I had banana coladas a few times and they aren't on the "menu".

Normally people know what they like to drink. The menus are there for people to try drinks maybe they never thought of.

There was one drink we did try on the menu and it was way too sweet.

We had shots of different vodkas, fireball and tequilas.

Seriously, I only saw one glass of wine on the wine menu that was over $10 that I remember and it was I think $13. We drink wine with dinner.

We had bloody marys in the mornings..

LOL I'm making us sound like alcoholics but we never had any issues with the beverage package.

SUPPOSING that what the OP is stating is true and not a huge misunderstanding, then we can summarize the following:

* Starting today, on at least the Gem, their is only ONE menu of bar drinks available for order regardless of the bar or the bartender visited.

* Of the drinks available on this menu, roughly half of them are under $10, the others are over $10 (constituting only 50-60% being elligible for the UBP)

* Bartenders are unable to make you a drink off of the menu because "they don't know what to charge".

The ONLY thing that makes ANY of this seem even SLIGHTLY POSSIBLE is if they are in the middle of a major adjustment to their bar system. Which does line up with the announcement that they are upping their liquour prices by 6% as of March 1st. This adjustment would entail new menus being printed and all of the bar computers being updated with the new prices... and this particuar Gem sailing would fall right smack in the middle of this transition.

I guess it could be a logical explanation that during this brief transition period, they are limiting their sales to a small fixed price menu while all the changes are being made. I used to be in the restaurant industry and it would be standard practice to have a special limited menu during special occassion where you could only order off a specific temporary menu (i.e. Valentines Day, New Years Eve). Limited menus do happen, but on a very limited basis and for very specific reasons.

HOWEVER, I could only see this mini-menu option lasting for no more than one, possibly two sailings. Just think of all that top shelf booze collecting dust! No way, no how it could last for more than an extremely brief transition period.

The only thing that makes any sense at all is a short term limited menu while the computers are updated.

Short term as in this should be fixed by tomorrow morning.

Nothing else makes sense. They're not going to stop selling booze so they can print menus.

The only thing that makes any sense at all is a short term limited menu while the computers are updated.

Short term as in this should be fixed by tomorrow morning.

Nothing else makes sense. They're not going to stop selling booze so they can print menus.

ITA! I was thinking fixed by Sunday, March 1st when the changes are supposed to be taking place. That's a 48 hour limited menu. Longer doesn't seem logical and across the fleet seems impossible. I think it would only effect ships that would be at sea in the middle of the transition.

Hoping its a transitional menu as others have said, because its the main reason we booked the Escape. We were going to book the Oasis, but for $100 more we were able to book the Escape with the UBP.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they cap the UBP menu, to force you to buy up to better/larger variety of drinks. Sound familiar to the food? You can go to the MDR for ok food, but if you want more variety.better quality, you have to buy up to the specialty restaurants.

I see t&C have changed to say 18% grats and up to $11.

Sounds to me they've hiked the prices up but so far only on certain cocktails so the bar staff temporarily don't know the new prices and thus if they are within the $11 limit.

Previously there was some restriction when say someone wanted a dual spirit cocktail where each spirit could be $7. Say a Black Russian which would be over the then $10, now $11.

Yet a single spirit and mixer inc grey goose was about $8-9 do under. So I don't think there was that many dual spirit cocktails ever included in the package.

SUPPOSING that what the OP is stating is true and not a huge misunderstanding, then we can summarize the following:

* Starting today, on at least the Gem, their is only ONE menu of bar drinks available for order regardless of the bar or the bartender visited.

* Of the drinks available on this menu, roughly half of them are under $10, the others are over $10 (constituting only 50-60% being elligible for the UBP)

* Bartenders are unable to make you a drink off of the menu because "they don't know what to charge".

The ONLY thing that makes ANY of this seem even SLIGHTLY POSSIBLE is if they are in the middle of a major adjustment to their bar system. Which does line up with the announcement that they are upping their liquour prices by 6% as of March 1st. This adjustment would entail new menus being printed and all of the bar computers being updated with the new prices... and this particuar Gem sailing would fall right smack in the middle of this transition.

I guess it could be a logical explanation that during this brief transition period, they are limiting their sales to a small fixed price menu while all the changes are being made. I used to be in the restaurant industry and it would be standard practice to have a special limited menu during special occassion where you could only order off a specific temporary menu (i.e. Valentines Day, New Years Eve). Limited menus do happen, but on a very limited basis and for very specific reasons.

HOWEVER, I could only see this mini-menu option lasting for no more than one, possibly two sailings. Just think of all that top shelf booze collecting dust! No way, no how it could last for more than an extremely brief transition period.

I agree with what you are saying, except that upping the drink prices by 6% would not result in most drinks being over $10. That's 50 cents or less on the vast majority of drinks. (For example $8.50 drinks would now be $9).

Yeah, I think there's a big snafu during this transition. Hope it gets worked out quickly.

I just went into NCL's site and got an online person and asked whats up. She said the list is still the original plan and the $ limit is $10. She gave me a link to the original list. Then during the conversation she changed it to $11. Sounds like they have not told their folks of the changes. It you are correct I'll be pissed because we had an upcharge for the UBP. If I find out I am limited to 10 items I may just sit there and pour them out if I do not like the options. Am I a child sometimes yes but it would get my frustration across.:eek::(:mad::confused:

I just went into NCL's site and got an online person and asked whats up. She said the list is still the original plan and the $ limit is $10. She gave me a link to the original list. Then during the conversation she changed it to $11. Sounds like they have not told their folks of the changes. It you are correct I'll be pissed because we had an upcharge for the UBP. If I find out I am limited to 10 items I may just sit there and pour them out if I do not like the options. Am I a child sometimes yes but it would get my frustration across.:eek::(:mad::confused:

No, the OP didn't say you'd be limited to 10 items. She said you'd be limited to 5 or 6 (50 or 60% of the 10 items). Please don't be one of the people that is gullible enough to believe that this is the new UBP.

Since they are giving the UBP away I can certainly see them doing something like this to limit the losses. The UBP is highly definitional- no promotional drinks (i.e. the drink of the day), etc. I can see where they could have a menu classifying most drinks as "promotional" and thereby excluding them from the UBP by definition. But of course that is just speculation and we'll all have to wait and see.

Since they are giving the UBP away I can certainly see them doing something like this to limit the losses. The UBP is highly definitional- no promotional drinks (i.e. the drink of the day), etc. I can see where they could have a menu classifying most drinks as "promotional" and thereby excluding them from the UBP by definition. But of course that is just speculation and we'll all have to wait and see.

The only problem with that statement is that I would wager that not everyone who has the UBP got it for "free". (which it really isn't you paid for it in your cruise fare).

There are way more cruisers who do not scourge these boards and booked a year ago and did not even know about the current promo. I am sure there would be some UBP buyers in that group.

Do you honestly believe they would do this to someone paying $54 a day or that they would stand for it. Big corporations make some bad decisions, but never of this magnitude.

...And honestly, how can it be called "Ultimate Beverage Package" if they are to limit it in such an extreme way? If NCL want to offer something for "free" (UBP) it just doesn't make sense to change it with a limited menu. A lot of cruiselines offer different drinks pkgs. NCL would have made a "limited" menu offer right from the get go. I mean, WHY would they misrepresent something? Do you honestly think this company WOULDN'T know how pissed folks would get? No way do I believe the OP. Gotta be a misunderstanding.

The only problem with that statement is that I would wager that not everyone who has the UBP got it for "free". (which it really isn't you paid for it in your cruise fare).

There are way more cruisers who do not scourge these boards and booked a year ago and did not even know about the current promo. I am sure there would be some UBP buyers in that group.

Do you honestly believe they would do this to someone paying $54 a day or that they would stand for it. Big corporations make some bad decisions, but never of this magnitude.

I've seen some whopping bad decisions in my day so, yes, I can believe it (especially if it is a trial). I just looked at a sailing on the Breakaway for next March for another thread, balcony cabin $999 per person. I don't see the UBP built into that price (at least not the retail cost:)). If this is being done then it may be with an eye to make the UBP part of the normal fare as a way to attract customers and the limitations are a way to reduce the financial hit without having to raise fares too much. Offering beer, wine, and several choices of mixed drinks as part of the fare could attract a lot of people. Of course this is pure speculation and doesn't mean much.

If you would all stop and think for a minute what the OP is saying makes perfect sense, and is probably true . . .BUT . . . what he is not saying is just as important.

I suspect that the list of specialty drinks has been whittled down to 10 or so. Those are the ones you would find in a menu. You don't see standard drinks like rum and coke, bourbon and water, a martini, a margarita, etc. in a menu. Does anyone ever recall seeing those in a menu . . .right I didn't think so.

What has probably happened is that the special junk has been done away with but the old standards are still there.

I might be wrong - but I am boarding the Dawn tomorrow so I will try to grab a phot and some info before we sail and get it posted for you.

I've seen some whopping bad decisions in my day so, yes, I can believe it (especially if it is a trial). I just looked at a sailing on the Breakaway for next March for another thread, balcony cabin $999 per person. I don't see the UBP built into that price (at least not the retail cost:)). If this is being done then it may be with an eye to make the UBP part of the normal fare as a way to attract customers and the limitations are a way to reduce the financial hit without having to raise fares too much. Offering beer, wine, and several choices of mixed drinks as part of the fare could attract a lot of people. Of course this is pure speculation and doesn't mean much.

You are paying for it in the price. Your analysis is correct, but think of it terms of not raising the price, but not lowering prices.

NCL decided it needed to fill it ships more. They could have easily lowered that Balcony price to $599.

Instead they decided that by offering the UBP it would be more beneficial because of the mark up on alchohol in general, and the likelihood that many will not drink up to the cost of the program especially with the days in port.

Make no mistake about it you are paying for it in your cruise fare by not getting reduced fares that cost NCL more real $$$ rather than a % of that amount by offering the package.

I'm just saying; no picture, no change!;)

Don't be so sure grasshopper . . . just because OP doesn't have the ability to post a picture while on board doesn't mean that the menu hasn't changed, or that what the OP is saying isn't correct.