Half Moon Cay: Security and VAT

AlexandNessa

Just curious. Disney also has a private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay. We received word that they are now doing security checks (ID required) when returning to the ship from Castaway Cay (in a dozen Disney cruises, never required ID in returning to the ship before, nor on Holland, returning from HMC). Also a Bahamian VAT is being imposed on shorex on Castaway Cay. Can't imagine this is specific to Castaway Cay. Did a search, and can't fill find any similar info on HMC. Anyone know?

Castaway Cay is owned by the Bahamian government and leased to Disney . Disney does not own this island.

Half Moon Cay is outright owned by Carnival Corporations. Maybe that is the difference?

I just read that a passenger on Disney died there by drowning yesterday.

It's been almost a year (:eek: ) since we were at HMC and our experience was the same as yours, Bruce. Just a quick look at our cabin cards to board at HMC and the usual on the ship (card scan, xray and metal detector).

At CoCo Cay (RCCL private island) in October of last year, there was security to leave the island, ID (cabin card and photo ID), xray and metal detector. Not sure if this is SOP here as we've only been once, but they sure seemed permanently set up for it. Perhaps it too is just leased, like Castaway Cay. We didn't buy anything more than a drink there. I don't remember there being VAT added to its cost.

Edited by 0bnxshs

The VAT and added security are very recent. Our last visits to CC in October did not have the added measures. We also visited HMC a year ago, and there was no security or VAT. Perhaps it is as mentioned that Disney does not own CC outright.

Castaway Cay is owned by the Bahamian government and leased to Disney . Disney does not own this island.

Half Moon Cay is outright owned by Carnival Corporations. Maybe that is the difference?

I'm not sure this is accurate. I believe Carnival Corporation also leases the island from Bahamas. I recall years ago, each time we visited HMC, we completed an Immigration Form issued by Bahamas Government. Guests no longer complete those forms but that ship well may be.

Half moon cay was purchased by HAL in 1996 for 6 million . Prior to HAL buying it, NCL must have leased it from the owners.

At least that is what I've read from several sources on the net concerning Little San Salvador Cay.

We were on Half Moon Cay a week and a half ago on the Eurodam (incredible as always by the way!) All you needed was your room key. Quick scan; no xray machine; no other ID needed.

I wonder if this is a procedure that is ship level? We were on HMC in March 2014 off the Maasdam. On board Maasdam, the procedure was the same as at any other port: cabin card scan, metal detector and x-ray of carried items. Perhaps they were training new security personnel. Interesting.

Edited by 0bnxshs

The VAT and added security are very recent. Our last visits to CC in October did not have the added measures. We also visited HMC a year ago, and there was no security or VAT. Perhaps it is as mentioned that Disney does not own CC outright.

Wow! We were there on 12 Oct 2014. When we were ready to leave, we tried walking right up to the landing for the tender to the ship but were sent to a large building off to the right that had x-ray and metal detectors and ID check, then on through a Disney-esque waiting line queue only to arrive back where we originally were sent away and then, right onto the tender.

Half moon cay was purchased by HAL in 1996 for 6 million . Prior to HAL buying it, NCL must have leased it from the owners.

At least that is what I've read from several sources on the net concerning Little San Salvador Cay.

Why did (does) Bahamas require Immigration Forms from guests when visiting HMC? :confused:

I think the answer could be 'head tax'?

Wow! We were there on 12 Oct 2014. When we were ready to leave, we tried walking right up to the landing for the tender to the ship but were sent to a large building off to the right that had x-ray and metal detectors and ID check, then on through a Disney-esque waiting line queue only to arrive back where we originally were sent away and then, right onto the tender.

Sorry, by CC (which is where we visited in October), I meant Castaway Cay. The security measures there are the ones that are recent. I've never been to CoCo Cay.

Carnival yes 'owns' Half Moon Cay.... but it is STILL a Bahamian Island. All they did is buy the land... and probably limited the period of the lease. If Bahamas want to tell everyone to have ID and passports... and VAT.... they could do that also. If....

Even if Carnival owns the land, the land is still part of the Bahamas, isn't it? Regardless of who owns it, taxes are imposed by the country, not the owner of a property.

The VAT in Bahamas was recently implemented (1/1/2015). It applies to all purchases (souvenirs as well as shore excursions). Whether HAL is somehow covering the added costs by still charging the same for excursions, etc. and just making a lesser profit, or whether they've actually increased their prices, I don't know.

Carnival yes 'owns' Half Moon Cay.... but it is STILL a Bahamian Island. All they did is buy the land... and probably limited the period of the lease. If Bahamas want to tell everyone to have ID and passports... and VAT.... they could do that also. If....

Actually Holland America bought the island. For many years they where the only one's using it. About 5 years ago Carnival started to use it as well.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Carnival never shares the island with an HAL ship. During the summer months, Carnival ships use the island seeing there are no HAL ships in the Caribbean for a full six months of the year. They also make some calls there during winter months but always on a day no HAL ships are at HMC. :) Seabourn very occasionally has also used the island.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I believe Carnival Corporation also leases the island from Bahamas. I recall years ago, each time we visited HMC, we completed an Immigration Form issued by Bahamas Government. Guests no longer complete those forms but that ship well may be.

Holland America Line purchased the island in December, 1996 for a price of $6 million USD.

Holland America Line purchased the island in December, 1996 for a price of $6 million USD.

Thank you both but I am still very unclear as to exactly what it means by 'owning' or 'buying' a part of a country? They didn't buy a piece of the Bahamas, did they? Or, did they buy (lease long term) the use of that property that is still owned by the host country?

I own the land on which my house sits but I didn't buy a piece of U.S.A.

I own the use of this land until that transfers (by a choice of methods) to someone else. It is still a piece U.S. I didn't buy the country.

Thank you both but I am still very unclear as to exactly what it means by 'owning' or 'buying' a part of a country? They didn't buy a piece of the Bahamas, did they? Or, did they buy (lease long term) the use of that property that is still owned by the host country?

I own the land on which my house sits but I didn't buy a piece of U.S.A.

I own the use of this land until that transfers (by a choice of methods) to someone else. It is still a piece U.S. I didn't buy the country.

Maybe CCL negotiated a 'sovereign island' clause in the purchase? ;)

I wouldn't think of buying an island in the Bahamas as any different than buying the parcel of land your house is on. An island isn't a city, or county or a state. The Bahamas consist of over 700 islands. It is simply a parcel of land. Perhaps a little bigger than the one your house is on, but there are many parcels of land privately owned by one individual in the US MUCH bigger than HMC.

The issue, if there is one, is if the Bahamas allows foreign corporations (or individuals) to own land in the country.