Which cruise to see Alaska

bigcj

I am looking to book a cruise to see Alaska. I would value and appreciate opinions on the best time of year to go and which itinerary (with Celebrity). Thank you in anticipation of your suggestions.

I am looking to book a cruise to see Alaska. I would value and appreciate opinions on the best time of year to go and which itinerary (with Celebrity). Thank you in anticipation of your suggestions.

There are four basic options:

1) Round Trip Seattle

2) Round Trip Vancouver

3) One way Northbound Vancouver to Seward

4) One way Southbound Seward to Vancouver

A lot of folks take the round trips because they perceive the airfare to be cheaper--especially flying in from the US--to begin and end in the same place. We've found that airfare into Anchorage and out of Vancouver NOT to be materially more...and the current prices on the one-ways are actually quite a bit less than the round trips, more than making up the difference.

The problems with the round trips are this: Because the ship needs to backtrack to get all the way back to Seattle or to Vancouver, there is less time in the itinerary for ports and for time in port. Plus, since US Federal law requires that at least one "foreign" port must be visited, most of the Seattle round trips make a worthless short stop in Victoria...which could, otherwise, be visited easily pre-or post-cruise by ferry from Vancouver.

The other benefit of the One way itineraries is that you actually either start or end in Alaska--so you can add on an incredible land tour before or after to see the "Interior" of Alaska--Denali National Park, Fairbanks, Alyeska, Talkeetna et al.

For me, I prefer the Southbound, so as to do a land tour first, then relax on the ship...When we did this a few years back, we also tacked on a couple of nights in Vancouver after the cruise, making for a very nice 15 night trip overall...

Time of year will depend on what wildlife you want to see. Whales you'll get throughout the season. Same with eagles. Salmon runs and bears you're looking at August. Rain is hit and miss - although September tends to be more rainy - but again it's hit and miss throughout the season. Lots of snow on the Mountains - you're looking more May/ June.

We usually go in September and have had the best luck with the weather all but one time and even that time was a blast. We tried May once and also had very decent weather except for going to the glacier, but I do understand we've been very lucky.

In May, you could really see the salmon running in the creek in Ketchikan. The fog and ice was pretty bad in the water on the way up to the glacier so were not able to get very close and really couldn't see much at all.

All in all, my vote is for September but there are so few guarantees on weather when you choose a specific date. Like mentioned, we've been extremely lucky...out of 8 cruises to Alaska, we've only seen a handful of days with rain. More often, I have not put on a coat one time but have used numerous tubes of sunblock.

My vote would be an itinerary that included Icy Strait Point.

There is one more option, the Seattle-Vancouver run on Solstice departing Sept 11th...it's an 11 night cruise with full days in each port. We've booked it and are very excited!! We're not counting on wearing our bathing suits much and will be prepared with layers for both sunny and warm or cloudy and wet days!!

In all honesty, there really is no bad option when sailing Alaska. It all depends on the length of time you want to sail and if you want to add a land portion prior to or after the cruise.

On my cruise next year my wife and I are going to Seattle for 5 days prior to the cruise, then taking train up to Vancouver the day before the cruise leaves. Then it's 7 days and one-way up to Seward and then 3 days afterward (still with Celebrity) into Denali and Anchorage.

While 2016 airfares have obviously not been released yet, the airfares I've priced in order to judge the cost are pretty reasonable when flying one way into Seattle and one way out of Anchorage. A round trip in and out of Seattle or Vancouver would not be much different.

If you're committed to sailing Celebrity, then, as I said, it's up to you as to how much time you want to spend sailing. :)