Physical Therapy on M-Class

Anita Latte

Hello all!

So here's my deal...I am in the midst of daily physical therapy for a knee condition. Except for the recumbent bicycle, most of my therapy needs do not require too much specialty equipment. Right now...I really just need a cushy mat and a playground ball.

I'm sailing on the Summit on April 4, but knowing how similar the ships are...

I'm hoping to hear some practical tips and experiences from anyone else that has sailed while in the midst of a physical therapy season. For instance, how did you work your PT into your port days?

I'd also love some details as to what is available in the gym...DH does PT too, and he needs a large balance ball and some other equipment that I don't necessarily.

I feel like I could do much of my routine in the stateroom, if necessary, but I'd prefer to have more space and have more of a dedicated time of it...I feel like there might be more distractions in the stateroom.

I'd also love to hear from any gym rat that has a good memory for the fitness center equipment and layout.

Really any first hand knowledge would be appreciated...I'm searching all over the internet for photos and videos and most of them are fairly old.

Sorry about your knee injury. I have a friend who took off for a week in St. Thomas only two weeks after having surgery. She got along fabulously with just a cane...no PT except for walking. :eek: She started the PT when she got back home.

I think your best bet would be to try to do your PT first thing in the morning, or late afternoon. Leave the middle parts of the day for the ports, relaxation and exploring the ship.;)

Have you searched for photos of the other M-class ships to get an idea of what equipment and the areas look like ?

Hopefully, by my bumping this thread, you will hear from someone who has been in your situation. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

I have been in the fitness centers of all four M class ships. They are basically set up in the same configuration. In front of the forward window you will find the treadmills. Behind those there is an exercise floor with weights balls etc. To the opposite side you will find the weight equipment and other exercise equipment including bicycles. The floored area is large enough for mat exercises and yoga classes for about a dozen.

One thing about morning workouts to be aware of - not only do passengers have access to the facilities but crew, particularly performers, also use the facility. They tend to work harder and longer than this old babe and they do not get off the equipment for passengers.

The gym is usually void of anyone during port stops.

We were on Princess last month and had to do PT 2X a day, signed out a mat from the gym and kept it under the bed, got room service breakfast for port days and did my exercises faithfully. Hopefully I can do the same in Apr.

Had to do shoulder PT twice a day in December on the Equinox. But I have been on all the M class and you should not have any issues as they are similar, just not as big. There is usually plenty of room in the gym and plenty of mats. There is always a corner you can sneak into.

So I was only allowed to use the 1lb weight which of course was pink. So I go over to the lifting area where all the folks are using considerably larger weights. These are weight lifters, bulging muscles, tank tops, etc. So I picked up the 1 lb pink weight and asked "is anyone using this?". It got a chuckle. Luckily I was still in a sling so they could see what I was doing.

As for when, I tried to do a set in the AM and a set before dinner. I'd do a set in the gym when I went in to workout (usually AM) as I could still walk and use the cycle. The other set I'd just do in the cabin and lay on the floor. Sometimes I only got one set in but that was better than nothing.

Also, I could do some of the PT almost any where as it was shoulder stretches mainly. If we were hanging out somewhere I'd just stretch away :) So I didn't always have to make it a formal session. If you are in a lounger I bet there are leg exercises you can do just hanging out at the pool.

So I didn't always have to make it a formal session. If you are in a lounger I bet there are leg exercises you can do just hanging out at the pool.

YES! Thank you for this visual. I just completely my second formal PT session (I have homework every day) and my exercises are all done on the therapy table with the nice attached mat, not the floor, like I have to do at home...so I was envisioning needing to find floor space. But this thought of the pool loungers! I might look like an odd duck, doing my leg exercises there, but that thought is actually a very nice one. What a view while doing PT!

silkismom...I was wondering if it would be possible to take a mat back to the stateroom...I hadn't thought about the idea of checking it out. I know you did this on Princess, but it sure would be worth an ask on my cruise.

Thank you for your responses so far...very helpful and thought provoking...I am appreciating new POVs.