Carnival Dining Room Shows - Yay or Nay?

Yvonne

Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?

• Yes, I love them! Keep them!
    • No, I don't like them and wouldn't mind them going away.
    • Other, because there has to be an other option.

We enjoy it, as do the kids. Carnival is not the only cruise line to do this either (quite a few land restaurants do as well).

Which cruise lines? I've sailed Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity and have not seen dancing or singing waiters in any of them.

Whoever Nancy is, get a life. Really felt the need to run this over to John Heald's FB page huh? If you read throught these posts and the poll, you would see the majority like the dancing and singing. Does it make you feel good to lie and give false information? Way to be a busybody!

Maybe Nancy is the one that started the poll or one of the minority who responded that hate it. She did twist the truth though. This poll is clearly favorable of the dancing. The responses are ripping cc though. Lol. Whatever. I'm sure it's many of the same people.

One poster said maybe not do it every night. That sorta makes sense, but I hope they never cut it totally. It's fun!

I think anyone running to Johnny, from Cruise Critic, should be banned from Cruise Critic.

True words! I cringe every time I read on his page someone stating "People on CC say....". It is always twisted to make it seem that everyone on this board agrees with the person posting. Makes us all seem really stupid sometimes.

Just read Nancy's post to John on FB. I felt the need this morning to tell the truth and call her out. Basically, I said that she lies. I even posted the grand total of our poll which is 158 - far from the hundreds she claims are responding.

I never do things like that, but I am so tired of seeing CC people be bashed on FB because of an exageration or out right lie that someone tells. Whoever Nancy is, I sure hope she responds to my comment - or that she shows up here and tries to explain her lies. :D

Just read Nancy's post to John on FB. I felt the need this morning to tell the truth and call her out. Basically, I said that she lies. I even posted the grand total of our poll which is 158 - far from the hundreds she claims are responding.

I never do things like that, but I am so tired of seeing CC people be bashed on FB because of an exageration or out right lie that someone tells. Whoever Nancy is, I sure hope she responds to my comment - or that she shows up here and tries to explain her lies. :D

I did too. I can't believe her audacity. I am so sick and tired of people lying and twisting the truth to promote their own skewed views. I have been around here for quite a few years and am getting tired of people like her. It's really giving CC and the majority of us a bad name and it's disgusting.

Which cruise lines? I've sailed Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity and have not seen dancing or singing waiters in any of them.

That's weird, we cruised on Oasis and had it one night.:confused: Go figure.

This is a part of the waiters jobs!! We all have things in our jobs that "mortifiy" us. Waiters at some land based resturants are made to sing and do silly things too. Any way i like the singing. except the song on the last night!!! It never fails after hearing leaving on a funship, then come back to your stateroom to see suitcases sitting in the hall way to bring home the fact the cruise is over. Lol

Maybe Nancy is the one that started the poll or one of the minority who responded that hate it. She did twist the truth though. This poll is clearly favorable of the dancing. The responses are ripping cc though. Lol. Whatever. I'm sure it's many of the same people.

One poster said maybe not do it every night. That sorta makes sense, but I hope they never cut it totally. It's fun!

I started the poll. My name is Yvonne, not Nancy.

I was very surprised to see my thread/poll talked about on John's FB page. I had never been to his page before so I have to admit I was curious so went to read what was being said.

It saddens me that people can't have a difference of opinion without all the negativity. I'm not a grumpy person but was in so many words called one simply because I don't care for the singing/dancing/napkin waving during dinner. I was also told I needed to eat more prunes. And told to "go to a different dining venue" if you don't like it. :( Sad, sad, sad.

I understand that other people, in fact MOST people or so the poll shows, like the "show" during dinner. I'm not calling them names over it. I do wish we could all share our opinions and keep it civil and leave the negativity out of it.

Wow, I just saw that. How frustrating. I'm not sure why she thought she could speak for all of us... and misrepresenting the results of the poll like that? I don't know what she thought she'd accomplish. :rolleyes:

Which cruise lines? I've sailed Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity

and have not seen dancing or singing waiters in any of them.

Hi rs12065 :)

During my last Princess voyage the waitstaff did the 'Parade Of The Baked Alaska's'.

They dim the lights, candles are lit in the baked Alaska's, then the servers march them through the dining room.

I enjoy the dining room traditions that have existed for decades on many cruise-lines.

These traditions will most certainly & thankfully, continue to exist for many more decades to come.

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

I voted "other".

Yes, I enjoy the dinner-time entertainment. It's fun, as long as the crew enjoys it, which they seem to.

No, it doesn't make or break my cruise enjoyment, one way or another.

ps. I'm not a fan of Baked Alaska, so I wish the cruise lines that do the parade and then automatically serve it to everyone would not do that (serve it, I mean...they can parade all they want). I wouldn't order it, but the last time I was on a ship that had the Baked Alaska parade, it seemed the servers (who were wonderful overall), assumed everyone wanted it and offered nothing else.

Edited by srlafleur

I started the poll. My name is Yvonne, not Nancy.

I was very surprised to see my thread/poll talked about on John's FB page. I had never been to his page before so I have to admit I was curious so went to read what was being said.

It saddens me that people can't have a difference of opinion without all the negativity. I'm not a grumpy person but was in so many words called one simply because I don't care for the singing/dancing/napkin waving during dinner. I was also told I needed to eat more prunes. And told to "go to a different dining venue" if you don't like it. :( Sad, sad, sad.

I understand that other people, in fact MOST people or so the poll shows, like the "show" during dinner. I'm not calling them names over it. I do wish we could all share our opinions and keep it civil and leave the negativity out of it.

Yvonne, it is ok to have a different opinion and also to not enjoy the dancing and singing.

What is not ok is for someone like "Nancy" to go on John 's FB page and lie about the results of your poll. The results show that 65% enjoy and like the dancing and singing. Only 27% don't like it and that is the minority not the majority of those polled. The other 8% have not opinions I guess. I have not read the entire thread.

I resent the fact that someone goes on John's FB and lies and gives all of us on Cruise Critic a bad name with lies. I love Cruise Critic and hate it when someone goes and tries to put us all in a bad light.

If you have an opinion, give it but don't lump us all together as having the same opinion.

As others have said, the majority of the waitstaff enjoy the dancing and singing. Yes, there are a few who don't enjoy it but then there are some who simply don't enjoy their job as a waiter at all. Not everyone likes all aspect of their job ( any job, be it as a waiter or otherwise ) and if dancing and singing is part of it, so be it.

Are there any of you reading this who absolutely love every aspect of your job? I would guess some but not all of you.. Do you do some parts of your job because it is a requirement of your job?

Edited by mississauga

On a side note, did anyone ever consider that it could be people who either a) hate Cruise Critic b) hate Carnival Cruise Line c) just like to stir up trouble that go running to John's page reporting every little thing that is controversial on here to him? Do you really think it's the OP from each thread that is started that goes and tattles?

I've noticed this quite some time ago and am willing to bet it's all the above options and probably a few more that I haven't thought of.

Don't mind the dancing. It's the (used) napkin twirling that bothers me. We call them 'Dirty Napkin Dances'

With many germ-o-phobes on here I'm surprised this in never mentioned.

I LOVE the Singing and Dancing in the MDR. I hope they never stop doing it. It's fun to get up out of your seat and join in. Or sit in your seat and wave the napkin around in the air. All those things and others are part of the "Fun" Atmosphere. After all, Carnival is the Fun Ship!!

If Carnival wants to do dancing,why not have it on the bottom floor,with people who don't need it, to sit upstairs. The servers upstairs don't have to participate, my dinner is uninterrupted. It is better to give options,it gives everyone a chance to think they can choose. I really thought I was the only one who prefers the shows to be in other places than the dining room.

So far I have brought 3 groups to Carnival, they now love the prices ( my first necessity),the choice to cruise without flying is the best. Hoping for year round from NYC.

I have 3 cruises booked on Pride from Baltimore, love cruising to the Atlantic Ocean.

If Carnival wants to do dancing,why not have it on the bottom floor,with people who don't need it, to sit upstairs. The servers upstairs don't have to participate, my dinner is uninterrupted. It is better to give options,it gives everyone a chance to think they can choose. I really thought I was the only one who prefers the shows to be in other places than the dining room.

So far I have brought 3 groups to Carnival, they now love the prices ( my first necessity),the choice to cruise without flying is the best. Hoping for year round from NYC.

I have 3 cruises booked on Pride from Baltimore, love cruising to the Atlantic Ocean.

It truly baffles me when people who don't like something with the dining room in particular (elegant night, dancing) suggest separating out the wants from the want nots. The answer to everything isn't segregation. It's all or nothing. No wonder the world is getting more divided every day.

I don't mind the waiters dancing, or even if a conga line starts in the MDR, but I don't like the twirling of dirty napkins. That part is gross to me as people have eaten, wiped their mouths and then twirl those around.

I am one who wouldn't mind if they stopped doing the above. I know my granddaughter will probably enjoy this when we cruise this summer, but she's only 9 years old.

This is my first time trying to do a poll, so hope it works.

On Carnival ships do you enjoy the special show/dancing the servers do in the main dining rooms? Especially where people are waving their napkins 'round and 'round?

Personally, I don't care for them and wish they would do away with them. The servers are rushed as it is, then they have to stop doing what they're doing - as in taking care of their customers, and take time away from them to dance and sing, etc. And the napkin waving by all the guests in the dining room just makes me cringe. Here they have been wiping food off their mouths and now they're flinging those bits of food all over the restaurant. Blech! :(

So, how do YOU feel about the dining room shows? Yay or Nay?

We enjoy the shows, but we do ATD and usually miss them. I don't have a problem with the napkin twirling, but I do have issues with the waiters dancing on the same pedestals they place the trays of food on while sorting the orders.I assume these are the same shoes they wear into the restrooms. Gross!

Don't think this would be allowed in restaurants in the United States.

Edited by camarowesley
typo