Celebrity Suite and Sky Suite versus Royal Suite for four adults

CinneMon

Hi all, my sister and I will be sailing with our parents this December on Summit out of San Juan for their 50th wedding anniversary. It's quite a milestone and we want to do it right!

We currently have them booked in a Celebrity Suite, and us in a Sky Suite. We have the 123Go promotion with beverages, tips and $300 OBC for each cabin. We're currently on decks 9 (CS) and 6 (S1) but would prefer to be a bit closer. (Waitlisted for S2 on deck 9.)

I am considering moving us all to a Royal Suite. Since it's after the April suite changes, this would provide the following benefits:

* Premium beverage package for everyone

* Premium dining every night for everyone

* Access to Michael's Club for everyone (currently only our parents would be allowed)

* Mini bar with water, soda and beer included (Dad and I are beer drinkers, this will save trips to the bar)

* Bar setup (2 bottles with mixers - we're not exclusively beer drinkers, so this will also save trips to the bar)

* Larger deck with outdoor tub

* Dining table for four, plus outdoor table

* Unlimited Internet (being able to keep up on email will actually help me relax - no rushing into port with a laptop to find free wifi!)

* Slightly less overall cost, but could be offset by tips if we lose the 123 Promo (not sure, but it's not a big concern)

The negatives include:

* Less cabin space (from a combined 718 square feet in two cabins with modest verandas to 538 square feet + 195 square foot veranda)

* Only one bath for all (but it's a huge bath!)

* OBC reduced from total of $600 to $300

* Lack of privacy for us sisters (but parents would of course enjoy the private bedroom)

* Will each want to upgrade to premium beverage package

* Additional premium dining (outside of suite dining, Blu and included 1 free dinner) will be about $200/night

Has anyone sailed with four adults in a Royal Suite - was it too crowded?

I expect at least a couple of us to skip a couple of the port days and lounge / relax, so I see our cabin as more than just a place to sleep - definitely a place to enjoy family time, especially on the veranda. We're not big into the pool scene (too loud) but we're very social.

We also love fine dining, so I can see us leveraging the premium dining options.

Any suggestions on one option over the other? Many thanks in advance for your input!

If the 4 of you can deal with one bath and the lack of privacy for the sisters, the positives in your case seem to outweigh the negatives. With your current arrangements you are on separate decks and only your parents can enjoy Michaels club and unlimited specialty dining so moving to a RS might be a good choice. Otherwise you & your sister might want to upgrade to a CS.

The best option IMO would be the Royal Suite. One thing not mentioned is the bathroom has it's own entrance. It is off the dining area and you don't have to go thru the bedroom to reach it. The Couches are quite comfortable to sleep on. If you are going after April 15 the suite package includes unlimited choice of all specialty restaurants. You also will have the use of Michael's club. The living area has its own slider to the deck, table sits four. Closet for all is in hall to bathroom and there is extra closet space in living area. Taking a Royal Suite will offer you plenty of room, privacy in as much as when parents are in the bedroom they won't be disturbed at all and If I did my $$$ it would be a better value for the dollar. What ever your choice, have a great cruise.;)

Thanks for all of the feedback so far! We travel a lot together - typically in smaller accommodations for two on much smaller sailing vessels. We spent many summers in very tight quarters in Alaska camping in our motorhome, although my sister and I could share a bunk a lot easier back then. :) I would just hate for the accommodations to detract from what should be an amazing celebration. In all likelihood, one or both of us could end up sleeping under the stars on deck - assuming the weather is cooperative.

thebutlerdidit - It's looking very likely that we'll move to one of the RS staterooms. We currently have CS 9096 on the December 12 sailing. I saw 9098 was available yesterday - this is what got me thinking of options. (Adjoining cabins would be great!) But it was already gone today, and it would have been a significant increase for two CS cabins. Happy to try to coordinate when we make the switch if that's helpful. We're booked direct through Celebrity.

Cheers!

You can also request a roll away bed in the RS. It will be twin-sized (or maybe a little smaller).

We had 4 adults in a RS last summer and it was such a great experience that we are doing it again this summer! Nine of us total traveled together and we were not too crowded when we were all together in the room or on the balcony.

thebutlerdidit - It's looking very likely that we'll move to one of the RS staterooms. We currently have CS 9096 on the December 12 sailing. I saw 9098 was available yesterday - this is what got me thinking of options. (Adjoining cabins would be great!) But it was already gone today, and it would have been a significant increase for two CS cabins. Happy to try to coordinate when we make the switch if that's helpful. We're booked direct through Celebrity.

Cheers!

Thank you so much, but we're sailing on the 5th. We'll have to keep checking to see f something opens up closer to sailing. I know they'll enjoy their CS no matter where it is..

As long as you can deal with 4 of you in the one bathroom, you should be OK. I've shared the RS with a friend and I slept on the couch which was quite comfortable (we each wanted our own bedroom). Not sure how comfortable it would be for 2.

One thing--when the couch is made up into a bed, it pretty much ruins the living area as a gathering area. I asked the stateroom attendant not to make it up while we were at dinner so we could come back and enjoy the living room. Told her I could easily do it. She was distressed that I would be doing her work, but agreed and it worked out fine. I also put the couch back together in the morning when I got up unless we were rushing off the ship and wouldn't be coming back to the cabin.

Have a wonderful celebration!

rcoaster809 - Thank you for your insight! I think you've helped seal the deal. :)

Excellent! I hope you have a great time!

I agree with the others that the sleeping arrangements and the bathroom are the two biggest concerns. They turned out to be non-issues for us though. The roll away made the sleeping arrangements more comfortable and good use of the vanity area in the bedroom helped people move through the bathroom faster.

I'm the odd ball out as we'd prefer our own space. If you're ok sharing the bath and are used to less privacy, there is quote a bit of space, as long as you'd work out system, you'd be ok. Things like one more trip to the bar for a beer can be worked out by bring a beer back "please don't open that" occasionally when you stop by a bar to "stock up". In my opinion specialty dining will not be that big a deal on Summit but we've eaten plenty in Murano and Quisine. Once each week is enough, especially Quisine. Hopefully Luminae really shines so it matters less.

If you could get 9096 (maybe it's a 24 hour hold) that would be a great option, but it won't give you as good a deck space, even combined as they're narrow decks, but it will give you a great cabin setup and multiple bathrooms.

One thing you will have in the RS is a tub and a shower so if you're not too shy you could have two people using the bathroom at once.

No matter what you choose you'll have a great cruise for a wonderful celebration.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think that you have a really difficult choice. I never thought that I would ever suggest 4 people sharing a single bathroom or even sharing a single suite but, with the new suite perks, the Royal Suite looks like a good option. The M-class Celebrity Suite balcony would be extremely tight for 4 people. All I can say is that only you know your family situation well enough to make the decision.

I could never share such a "small" space with my mother. When my brother and I took her on a cruise to celebrate her 80th birthday we booked a PH [on NCL not Celebrity] and two balcony rooms close by. However, on NCL, the whole family were able to enjoy the suite perks despite only one of the rooms being a suite. That is not the case on Celebrity. The cruise was also in Alaska in a very cold August so that although we could all fit on any balcony for viewing the scenery, we had no desire to sit out there for any length of time!

Sorry, I do not seem to have been much help but, if Thanksgiving/Christmas in you family is tension free, perhaps the Royal Suite is a good idea. If, in all honestly, you feel that there may be tension, you current reservations may be a better choice.

We have had a similar problem as I usually travel with my sister and brother in law. We are on Silhouette in May and have gone for an S1 and S2 next door to each other at present with the balcony divider opened up. The royal suite on S class has the bathroom with only 1 entrance through the bedroom I believe which was the deal breaker for me as it would be me on the sofa bed. However I still keep looking at the royal suite that is still available . The price is the same as the S2 and S1 added together and we would get Michaels Club etc. In the sky suites we still get a couple of free (included) speciality dinners included so that bit is not a problem and we have drinks packages + $350 on board credit per suite so it is difficult to weigh up.

We have had a similar problem as I usually travel with my sister and brother in law. We are on Silhouette in May and have gone for an S1 and S2 next door to each other at present with the balcony divider opened up. The royal suite on S class has the bathroom with only 1 entrance through the bedroom I believe which was the deal breaker for me as it would be me on the sofa bed. However I still keep looking at the royal suite that is still available . The price is the same as the S2 and S1 added together and we would get Michaels Club etc. In the sky suites we still get a couple of free (included) speciality dinners included so that bit is not a problem and we have drinks packages + $350 on board credit per suite so it is difficult to weigh up.

The OP is asking about Summit, an M-class suite and the RS bathroom is definitely not through the bedroom.

I am pretty certain that the bathroom is not accessed through the bedroom in the RS on S-class ships as well but the Celebrity UK website appears to have changed since Tuesday and I could not find out how to find the information on the ships. [Nice move Celebrity!]

rcoaster809 - Thank you for your insight! I think you've helped seal the deal. :)

Another vote for the RS... we have done this with our two teenage children and didn't have any problems. Last year our children didn't have to pay on the specialty restaurants and two years ago we invited a friend's child to QSine and even after we asked to pay for his dinner they didn't charge us. They did get a really nice gratuity at the end and my husband enjoyed some fine wines. But still, it was nice from them not to charge our friend.

Have a blast, enjoy Michaels and Happy Anniversary to your parents!!

On the S class the Royal Suite has a half bath (toilet and sink only) in the living room and the large bath accessed only through bedroom.

I would downgrade your room with your sister, to an inside if necessary, and use the extra money to put your parents in the royal suite. That way everyone has a bed, bath and privacy. But only you can gauge how important the pros and cons are to your family.

We were just on Constellation in a RS and you do not have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. You can get to it off the living room. I didn't like the RS because I thought it was too dark. We have a Celebrity Suite in August with my husband and I, our daughter and a seven-year-old child on a rollaway. I think it will be better.

In your situation, if you don't mind being tight, but having all those perks, I say go for it.

The OP is asking about Summit, an M-class suite and the RS bathroom is definitely not through the bedroom.

I am pretty certain that the bathroom is not accessed through the bedroom in the RS on S-class ships as well but the Celebrity UK website appears to have changed since Tuesday and I could not find out how to find the information on the ships. [Nice move Celebrity!]

The Royal Suite has so many perks now, I would probably choose that. It would be a shame if your parents really enjoyed Michael's Club but you and your sister were unable to join them there. I think all of you having the same dining and beverage options will outweigh the few negatives you may experience by sharing the suite.

My only concern would be four people sharing a bathroom trying to get ready in the morning but there is an easy solution for that, if you don't mind a little walk in the morning. One or more people can use the spa to take a shower and get ready, which frees up the bathroom. I've done it and it's a good solution for those who like to take their time while getting ready. Let's face it - many of us grew up having to share one bathroom with the whole family and we survived. When I was a kid, I knew a family with 5 daughters and all 7 people shared one bathroom and they're all still speaking to each other. :D

Thanks for all of the fantastic feedback! We think the perks far outweigh the inconvenience of one bath. Our first few cruises were with a couple of friends in quad cabins - first inside, then ocean view, then verandas. After sharing one teeny tiny bath with three other women multiple times, I think this will be a piece of cake. And to be honest, my sister will likely live at the Persian Garden and use the facilities there. (She adopted that strategy long ago!)

My sister and I are sailing with another friend on Constellation on March 30 in S1 6146. Hopefully our butler or steward will help us get a sneak peek at the Royal Suite.

I'll be calling to switch us to the Royal Suite in the morning.

Cheers!

I think i would go with the Royal....you mentioned the reduced space but it really would not be.....you have to consider usable space...you have big beds taking up space in both cabins etc.....I think it will feel more spacious in the royal as you will be able to change the couch back in the mornings....you might ask if they have bed toppers avalable if thebed is not comfortable enough and as to OBC....ask around with various TA's....i think you might get as mouch or more than the 600 you were looking at receiving...

Hi all, my sister and I will be sailing with our parents this December on Summit out of San Juan for their 50th wedding anniversary. It's quite a milestone and we want to do it right!

We currently have them booked in a Celebrity Suite, and us in a Sky Suite. We have the 123Go promotion with beverages, tips and $300 OBC for each cabin. We're currently on decks 9 (CS) and 6 (S1) but would prefer to be a bit closer. (Waitlisted for S2 on deck 9.)

I am considering moving us all to a Royal Suite. Since it's after the April suite changes, this would provide the following benefits:

* Premium beverage package for everyone

* Premium dining every night for everyone

* Access to Michael's Club for everyone (currently only our parents would be allowed)

* Mini bar with water, soda and beer included (Dad and I are beer drinkers, this will save trips to the bar)

* Bar setup (2 bottles with mixers - we're not exclusively beer drinkers, so this will also save trips to the bar)

* Larger deck with outdoor tub

* Dining table for four, plus outdoor table

* Unlimited Internet (being able to keep up on email will actually help me relax - no rushing into port with a laptop to find free wifi!)

* Slightly less overall cost, but could be offset by tips if we lose the 123 Promo (not sure, but it's not a big concern)

The negatives include:

* Less cabin space (from a combined 718 square feet in two cabins with modest verandas to 538 square feet + 195 square foot veranda)

* Only one bath for all (but it's a huge bath!)

* OBC reduced from total of $600 to $300

* Lack of privacy for us sisters (but parents would of course enjoy the private bedroom)

* Will each want to upgrade to premium beverage package

* Additional premium dining (outside of suite dining, Blu and included 1 free dinner) will be about $200/night

Has anyone sailed with four adults in a Royal Suite - was it too crowded?

I expect at least a couple of us to skip a couple of the port days and lounge / relax, so I see our cabin as more than just a place to sleep - definitely a place to enjoy family time, especially on the veranda. We're not big into the pool scene (too loud) but we're very social.

We also love fine dining, so I can see us leveraging the premium dining options.

Any suggestions on one option over the other? Many thanks in advance for your input!

Having 2 bathrooms is important for me now. When I first started cruising, four in a room was not a problem. My sister and I went to the locker room in the Solarium for our showers.

The suite perks are such a nice feature. You have a hard decision to make.

Hope this thread helps you.

I finalized the switch to 6139 today, and in addition to the lower total fare we ended up with a total of $500 OBC - still $100 less than two cabins, but I'm not complaining. :)

Thanks again for the great feedback!

God help us (and our Celebrity agent!) if a Penthouse opens up...

Cheers!

I finalized the switch to 6139 today, and in addition to the lower total fare we ended up with a total of $500 OBC - still $100 less than two cabins, but I'm not complaining. :)

Thanks again for the great feedback!

God help us (and our Celebrity agent!) if a Penthouse opens up...

Cheers!

Well, you'd get two bathrooms in the penthouse and lots more room. :D

I am considering moving us all to a Royal Suite.

I have booked the RS several times.

A few times I have had 2 children (elementary age) booked in the RS with 2 adults. The sofa bed works okay for 2 children, but IMHO I will not recommend that sofa bed for 2 adults. You are not going to sleep well.

My vote is for 2 separate suites.