New bar menu

GUEST080219

Can anyone confirm whether they have Jim Beam or Makers Mark? We are bourbon drinkers and the whiskies on this list are pretty limited. Jim Beam is a pretty mainstream brand so I'd be surprised if they didn't have it.
They had it on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago. And also Makers Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek (I think), and Woodford Reserve. Jack Daniels, JD Honey, Gentleman Jack. Probably others I didn't see or don't recall.

If you don't mind me asking... which cruises had these menus? Was it recent or spread out over the last year +/-?

I believe it was the Epic 12/2013, Getaway 02/14 and POA 8/14. Definitely the latter two. Not positive about the Epic.

It's just a matter of personal preference. I enjoy trying new drinks so the menu makes that easier for me. My favorite thing to do is sit up in the Star Bar on the Dawn and make my way though the drink list over the course of the week.

I think that is a thing of the past. I remember that Star Bar Martini menu fondly, but you will not get Martinis like that now unless you bring the receipes with you and hope you find a bar tender with the skill to make them.

I think this dumbing down of the drinks menus may bite them in the butt in the long run. It may benefit NCL in the short term while they are giving the UBP free. But if not free, we will not be buying it. If we are paying by the drink, better do a little more to pique my drink appetite than this bland offering or they will be losing cruise dollars on us on future cruises.

I bet a million dollars that if you order a margarita, you can have one. I also bet that if you order a strawberry daquiri you can have one. Like I said in the other thread, NCL is not trying to put themselves out of business. You were always able to order things previously that were not on the menu. There is absolutely no reason to think that has changed. Have you ever been to a bar in your entire life where the only drinks you could order were those that appeared on drink menus? Maybe a beer list, but otherwise, it just doesn't work that way.

I don't really need a drink menu to decide what to order. When I go to a restaurant or bar at home they usually only have a small menu of drinks but I can still order anything I want the bartender to make. I will do the same on the ship. I just hope they have a few more liquor brands than just what's on this list.

I just agree with both these posts.

I live in a small beach/military town. When we go to restaurants or bars, there is generally a limited "printed" menu. I've ordered many a drink not on a menu in my time. I've also been known to ask the bartender to make me his/her "specialty" I always get something that is yummy and not on a listed menu. And not at a high price premium. I'm not the Prom Queen, just the average Jane, so not getting something special for any other reason than I ask nicely for them to give me something they like to make and I usually tell them what kind of flavors I like.

I just agree with both these posts.

I live in a small beach/military town. When we go to restaurants or bars, there is generally a limited "printed" menu. I've ordered many a drink not on a menu in my time. I've also been known to ask the bartender to make me his/her "specialty" I always get something that is yummy and not on a listed menu. And not at a high price premium. I'm not the Prom Queen, just the average Jane, so not getting something special for any other reason than I ask nicely for them to give me something they like to make and I usually tell them what kind of flavors I like.

I live in a small town, but the restaurants in my area have a quite extensive selection of mixed drinks and even craft beers. Surely a cruise ship can do as well. I like to try new and inventive drinks ( like a Cucumber Jalepino Mojito ) that I would never have come up with in a million years. I still think NCL could put a little more imagination and variety into these drink menus, especially if they are after our cruise $$.

Our next cruise is the Escape, and if there is not an extensive Margarita menu in the Margaritaville Bar and Restaurant, and the same wonderful Mojito list in the Mojito Bar, I will be highly disappointed. Also hoping for some good and unusual drinks in Bayamo. If that happens, I can ignore the lackluster menu elsewhere, although I love me a good martini with a little imagination. Oh, and that specialty craft beer venue! OK, I'm starting to feel better about this.

Our one and only suite experience was on Jewel in March 2012 - I THINK! All my cruises are starting to blend together! The drink of the day (I'm thinking only in suites?) was a pear martini, and I think it was about 13 bucks, but it was SUBLIME, and I drank them the whole cruise. Now, every time I go on a cruise, I order at least one, or I don't feel like I've been on vaycay, lol. A very accommodating bartender always makes me one, BUT they're never as good as those first ones on the Jewel. So I agree, you'll always be able to get what you want, but it will result in less experienced bar staff. I also wonder how soon 'til they cancel/way increase the price of the martini/mojito tastings, which are still and always the best deal on the ship, if you don't have UBP.

Edited by lisakoivu

i still hope there's the O'Sheehans liquor menu

i was planning on drinking a fair few mudslides and bushwackers not to mention a shot or two or three :p

Also hoping the mudslides (and dirty bananas and other more ice creamy drinks) stay as they were my breakfast of choice on our last cruise! ;)

I bet a million dollars that if you order a margarita, you can have one. I also bet that if you order a strawberry daquiri you can have one. Like I said in the other thread, NCL is not trying to put themselves out of business. You were always able to order things previously that were not on the menu. There is absolutely no reason to think that has changed. Have you ever been to a bar in your entire life where the only drinks you could order were those that appeared on drink menus? Maybe a beer list, but otherwise, it just doesn't work that way.

I agree with this 100%. I can't wrap my head around people thinking you can only order the 10 +/- drinks that are on the menu. The drink menu is a suggestion for those who don't know what they want. Ludicrous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fully expect, like many others, that NCL will allow us to order whatever we want (even if it's not on this new menu). Because of this, I have screenshot all of gambees menus. However, if we have the UBP how will we know if the drink we are ordering will be included. I don't want to be surprised at the end of the cruise with a large bar bill for drinks I though were included.

However, if we have the UBP how will we know if the drink we are ordering will be included.

You just ask the bartender/waiter, they'll find out and tell you.

Edited by Demonyte

I am a naive, amateur drinker. One of my favourite parts of cruising is "letting loose" and trying out all these new-to-me, wonderfully refreshing cocktails! A comprehensive, detailed menu is a must for me. I simply don't know the names of many of them, and don't have the creativity to ask the bartender for something that I may like. :D

You just ask the bartender/waiter, they'll find out and tell you.

You are correct... but how annoying that would have to be for the poor overworked bar staff. Case in point:

Scenario A (old multi-page, descriptive & extensive menus)

PAX: "I'll take this interesting looking Dirty Banana. It's listed as $8.50, so that is included in my UBP? Correct?"

BARTENDER: "Yes, I'll be right back with that."

Scenario B (new 2 page menu)

PAX: "I don't see the type of drink I want on this menu. Can you recommend something frozen and fruity?"

BARTENDER: "How about a ______"

PAX: "What's in that?

BARTENDER: "A, B & C"

PAX: "No, that doesn't sound up my alley... Can you recommend something else?"

(REPEAT ABOVE STEPS)

PAX: No, not that either... On second thought, just give me a ___________. But since I don't know the price of that, could you check and let know if that's included?

BARTENDER: Of course, be right back.

BARTENDER: I checked, it's not.

BARTENDER: Oh, forget about it... just give me a beer."

*** I realize this won't be the average scenrio, but it is certainly a potentially real scenario. As a former server, I just think this new system puts more pressure on the bartenders to know more drinks by heart and to know more prices by heart or have to do a LOT of back and forth with the customers and inhibiting their ability to serve quickly and effeciently.

Seems like quite the hike in the wine.

A bottle of Beringer Zinfandel was $24 in 2014

It is now $32.00:(

That's a 33.5% increase!

The average price for a bottle of Beringer Zinfandel is $7. I suppose they needed to raise their price because of the corkage fee: $25 plus $7=$32.:(

The average price for a bottle of Beringer Zinfandel is $7. I suppose they needed to raise their price because of the corkage fee: $25 plus $7=$32.:(

Since when has the corkage fee raised from $15 to $25? I haven't seen anything like that mentioned.

Just a suggestion: maybe try downloading an app on your phone if, like me, you don't know the names of many drinks.

I found plenty that work without using data.

Of course they won't include the price, but its a starting point if you know you want something with strawberries or cherries but don't know the names of anything.

Unless we go into Town on a night out (which we don't now we are old/have a mortgage/have cruises to pay for) we go to the pub. In your average UK village pub they don't have a menu but certainly don't make cocktails/frozen cocktails/mocktails/martinis (unless it's a Martini and Lemonade). A spirit and a mixer is pushing the boat out in some of our local pubs - and even then the selection is maybe 5 or 6 spirits. That's why I love the extensive cruise cocktail menus, it's like a whole new world of discovery :D

To be honest, even if we go into Town we will have to look hard to find somewhere where they have one or two non-descript frozen cocktails of dubious ingredients, and maybe a list of 5 classic cocktails.

A lack of list for some people isn't a problem, but for us backward country folk it's a pain in the bum :D

Though to be honest, I will just have to suffer through the cocktail of the day every day - oh how awful for me :D :eek: