Guarantee cabins

adaemma

Can't prove it either way. I agree the number of people on Cruise Critic is small compared to total number of cruisers. But I still think looking at a sub-group of the total, you can still get a feel for what is trending. After all, any poll will always be a considerable sub-group of the total. I am not a statistician so don't know how many people it would take to make a sample size that is sufficient to make conclusions. But I suspect observations made by the posters here on CC likely track pretty closely with overall reality. But unless someone from Celebrity wants to reveal inside secrets, I guess we will never know for sure.:)

Very true. Also, every cruise line has different policies. I have sailed on many and some call and offer pax 'upsells' when higher price cabins are available, and others do not. There is always a cruiser that has a wonder freebie story on this board. Love to read them, but never expect it to me.:D

Hi guys,

How soon after booking a guarantee class cabin is the cabin allocated. We have twio cruises booked back to back

25th July = no cabin allocated yet

1st august - cabin has been allocated from when we booked two months ago?

I don't know the method to their madness, or why some assignments are done earlier than others. But I know the cabin assignment can be made as late as a few days before your cruise.

We booked our first Guarantee C3 or higher for our Summit 10/15 Canada/New England cruise. There was literally no choice as the ship was mostly sold out and this was almost a year ago. We still have not been assigned a cabin. I am hoping after final payment we will have our cabin number. We will see how this works for us. Karynanne, those were great experiences-maybe we will get a suite, but I am not holding my breath[emoji1]

We booked our first Guarantee C3 or higher for our Summit 10/15 Canada/New England cruise. There was literally no choice as the ship was mostly sold out and this was almost a year ago. We still have not been assigned a cabin. I am hoping after final payment we will have our cabin number. We will see how this works for us. Karynanne, those were great experiences-maybe we will get a suite, but I am not holding my breath[emoji1]

I've had a GTY three times, and the only way I found out what cabin I was assigned was to log onto "My Celebrity" everyday to see if one was assigned.

My opinion is that for the most part, it is random. I would hazard a guess (and it is only that) that they may be more likely to upgrade a Zenith member. I also am of the belief (which I cannot prove) that first-time to Celebrity cruisers booking a guarantee cabin are much, much more likely to get an upgrade. I only have hearsay to back up that claim based on things I have read on these boards over the years. I know when we did a GTY a few years ago, several others on our roll call did as well. The only ones who got a really nice upgrade (meaning a complete category upgrade) were the couple who were on Celebrity for the first time. Could have been coincidence I suppose.

We just got off the Summit. At our dinner table was a couple who had booked the cruise three weeks ago in ocean view. Not only was their first cruise on Celebrity was their first cruise ever. When they checked in they were upgraded to a mid level balcony. We have been on Celebrity 16 times and have never been upgraded.

Was reading through this thread with great interest and wanted to post my results.

I am a first time cruiser on Celebrity and booked a X Verandah Guarantee around 6/12. A few days ago, I was assigned a 2b Verandah on deck 9/Sky Deck.

Ive almost always done guarantees on other lines and that was all that was left for this Celebrity cruise anyway so we did not have a choice.

I still have no idea, but assume not, if this is an 'upgrade'. I can only assume an upgrade would be to concierge or aqua or a suite which obviously we did not get. Thus, for first timers on Celebrity, we essentially ended up with what we booked, which is fine with me. (BTW, being in the way front or way back of the ship never ever bothered me).

Was reading through this thread with great interest and wanted to post my results.

I am a first time cruiser on Celebrity and booked a X Verandah Guarantee around 6/12. A few days ago, I was assigned a 2b Verandah on deck 9/Sky Deck.

Ive almost always done guarantees on other lines and that was all that was left for this Celebrity cruise anyway so we did not have a choice.

I still have no idea, but assume not, if this is an 'upgrade'. I can only assume an upgrade would be to concierge or aqua or a suite which obviously we did not get. Thus, for first timers on Celebrity, we essentially ended up with what we booked, which is fine with me. (BTW, being in the way front or way back of the ship never ever bothered me).

I think in reality you've got a 2 class upgrade. Veranda class is divided in to several classes based on floor and position - 2d, 2c, 2b, 2a, 1c, 1b, 1a.

2d having the most obstructed sea views and 1a having the bigger balconys and midships. With the others somewhere between.

If booking a guarantee veranda at a price less than the advertised price of a 2d

I think one should be prepared for the possibility of being assigned a 2d, but as there aren't that many 2d cabins and some may have been sold to people who specifically wanted a particular 2d cabin, if they sell a lot of a cabins at the guarantee rate an upgrade is likely. Last year we got a 4 class upgrade to a 1c, this year a 2 class upgrade to a 2b

I think in reality you've got a 2 class upgrade. Veranda class is divided in to several classes based on floor and position - 2d, 2c, 2b, 2a, 1c, 1b, 1a.

2d having the most obstructed sea views and 1a having the bigger balconys and midships. With the others somewhere between.

If booking a guarantee veranda at a price less than the advertised price of a 2d

I think one should be prepared for the possibility of being assigned a 2d, but as there aren't that many 2d cabins and some may have been sold to people who specifically wanted a particular 2d cabin, if they sell a lot of a cabins at the guarantee rate an upgrade is likely. Last year we got a 4 class upgrade to a 1c, this year a 2 class upgrade to a 2b

After ready by your reply, what's scares me is that my 'wonderful' TA stated there were NO obstructed views in guarantee verandah cabins / X guarantee. That's why I boooker it locations matters little to me but obstructed views will never fly with me.

After ready by your reply, what's scares me is that my 'wonderful' TA stated there were NO obstructed views in guarantee verandah cabins / X guarantee. That's why I boooker it locations matters little to me but obstructed views will never fly with me.

Both 2D and 2C have some obstruction (on the Solstice class ships, not sure about Millennium Class), but from what I've read elsewhere the obstruction is slight (2C being better than 2D) and a lot better than perhaps some other ships. Even our 1C cabin last year didn't have a view straight down to the sea, it looked down from the 8th Floor to the the roof of a restaurant 4 floors below - some might class that as an obstruction and less than what they want.

I've seen / read nothing to suggest you couldn't be assigned a 2D or 2C if booking a Guarantee Veranda Cabin.

If you're booking a Guarantee in the US the risk of a getting the worst cabin on the ship is much less as if you don't like the cabin you're assigned you can change it within the same class (i.e. 2D to another 2D). That's a No No if booking with Celebrity in the UK - what Celebrity assigns you is what you get (unless Celebrity decides to change it).

I might add to my post above that I don't feel we paid less money for a guarantee. This is one of our most expensive cruises. We did get 123go so that helps. I even tried for a suite, nothing available. I guess we are lucky to even be on this cruise[emoji1]. Hope it is a good one!!!

Wine-O, I have been checking, maybe not every day, but every few days. Guess I better do check[emoji1]

I might add to my post above that I don't feel we paid less money for a guarantee. This is one of our most expensive cruises. We did get 123go so that helps. I even tried for a suite, nothing available. I guess we are lucky to even be on this cruise[emoji1]. Hope it is a good one!!!

Wine-O, I have been checking, maybe not every day, but every few days. Guess I better do check[emoji1]

Why wouldn't you book another cabin if the guarantee is the same price? Then there would not be any concern.

I had the 123GO package so had to book a C3 or higher. There was nothing available except a C3 Guarantee, which we took.

Wine-O - I just checked -- we have a cabin, yippee!!!! It is a C3, 8147, which is just fine with us.:D So, no upgrades, no special treatment for Elite Plus, or the fact that this will be 17th cruise on Celebrity and 6th time on Summit. I guess just random selection as some have said. We were not expecting anything other than a C3, I was just wondering where it would be and it is aft and close to elevators so good job Celebrity.

Thanks for suggesting I check yet again. Of course Celebrity's website wouldn't allow me on last night, so checked this morning.

Lucy

I had the 123GO package so had to book a C3 or higher. There was nothing available except a C3 Guarantee, which we took.

Wine-O - I just checked -- we have a cabin, yippee!!!! It is a C3, 8147, which is just fine with us.:D So, no upgrades, no special treatment for Elite Plus, or the fact that this will be 17th cruise on Celebrity and 6th time on Summit.

Lucy

Lucy glad you got your cabin. As far as special treatment goes....don't count on it. We are also Elite Plus and just completed our 20th Celebrity cruise. We have never been upgraded.

Have a great time on your trip.

Thanks, Anne Maria -- I believe you have been on the Canada/New England cruise -- any suggestions for excursions? We have not been to any of these cities:)

Maybe this is not the forum to discuss it. I can send you an email or private message.

Lucy

Thanks, Anne Maria -- I believe you have been on the Canada/New England cruise -- any suggestions for excursions? We have not been to any of these cities:)

Maybe this is not the forum to discuss it. I can send you an email or private message.

Lucy

Yes, I have TONS. Send me a message. Talk to you later.

Booked the Equinox for Nov 20 sailing with a military inside guarantee rate on June 9 via Celebrity & just checked... Cabin .. 8165 assigned cat 10; any chance this will change before final payment or after final payment?..Thanks

There certainly is on s class. We just booked one, a 2C WITH a lifeboat at floor level. Not an issue at all to us, you just can't look down at the sea.

Booked the Equinox for Nov 20 sailing with a military inside guarantee rate on June 9 via Celebrity & just checked... Cabin .. 8165 assigned cat 10; any chance this will change before final payment or after final payment?..Thanks

I just upgraded to a Cat 9 cabin that we could be happy with & was only charged $50 pp which is the difference from a Cat 10 that we were assigned.