Which Dream Itinerary?

Fairly sure my next trip will be on the Dream out of NOLA, unless something else surprises me. The question is which itinerary?

We are both adventurous sorts that are looking for some good scenery and either something active to do (like snorkeling, zip lines, kayaking, ATV's, exploring jungles/caves, etc) or would enjoy a good resort atmosphere at a nice beach. No kids, no real interest in shopping and not a ton of interest in historical sights for the next cruise.

All three itineraries are priced closely enough that price isn't really a factor. The only things I know so far is that we enjoyed Cozumel and wouldn't mind going back at all.

Are any of these ports absolute can't miss? Are any of them particularly bad? Any of these ports more likely to be missed than others? Any really unique experiences offered at any of them that you can recommend?

Here are the options:

1) Two days at sea

Montego Bay, Jamaica 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

one more sea day

2) One day at sea

Key West, FL 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Freeport, the Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Nassau, the Bahamas 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

two sea days at the end

3)Two days at sea

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 6:00 AM 5:00 PM

Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Cozumel, Mexico 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

One more sea day

I was going to put this up for a vote, but I really want to know why or why not on these, rather than a simple tally. Any help is appreciated!

I would do the Bahamas itinerary. I did this one on the Dream last year and had a great time.

If you would like to see some photos of the ports or ship I did a full review with hundreds of pictures last year after my cruise. Here is a link on my blog:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-dream-7day-bahamas-cruise-review-2014.html

Here is what I liked about each port:

Key West - lots to do and see within walking distance of ship

Freeport - nice beaches and I did the highlights shore excursion that was informational

Nassau - did a highlights excursion that was enjoyable and information. Port is nice, but crime is known to be higher here.

Hope all this helps some!

I've been on all 3 of these itineraries, and Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Coz was my favorite. Amazing beaches in all 3 places! Belize has quite a tender... it takes approx. 20 min to even get there, which made me a little nervous. The Bahamas was just so-so although Key West is charming and I would love to go back!

Honestly, we are considering doing the Roatan, Belize, Coz this summer just because my kids haven't done that itinerary and I have heard wonderful things about Little French Key in Roatan. Look it up, it looks like a fabulous place!

I would choose the Montego Bay, Cozumel, Grand Cayman cruise. We did one of our most favorite excursions in Jamaica 2 years ago. It was called Blue Hole/Secret Falls. The excursion is not available through Carnival. We had to book it through a private operator. I am normally not a person that jumps off waterfalls, but did this time. It was only a small one, but I did it. There is a large falls you can jump off of and all the guys in our group did it. It was a very beautiful place and is not crowded. Check on Trip Advisor for reviews. In Grand Cayman there is a place to snorkel that is just about a 10 minute walk from the pier. They do not charge but do rent lockers for $5.

Fairly sure my next trip will be on the Dream out of NOLA, unless something else surprises me. The question is which itinerary?

We are both adventurous sorts that are looking for some good scenery and either something active to do (like snorkeling, zip lines, kayaking, ATV's, exploring jungles/caves, etc) or would enjoy a good resort atmosphere at a nice beach. No kids, no real interest in shopping and not a ton of interest in historical sights for the next cruise.

All three itineraries are priced closely enough that price isn't really a factor. The only things I know so far is that we enjoyed Cozumel and wouldn't mind going back at all.

Are any of these ports absolute can't miss? Are any of them particularly bad? Any of these ports more likely to be missed than others? Any really unique experiences offered at any of them that you can recommend?

Here are the options:

1) Two days at sea

Montego Bay, Jamaica 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

one more sea day

2) One day at sea

Key West, FL 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Freeport, the Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Nassau, the Bahamas 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

two sea days at the end

3)Two days at sea

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 6:00 AM 5:00 PM

Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Cozumel, Mexico 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

One more sea day

I was going to put this up for a vote, but I really want to know why or why not on these, rather than a simple tally. Any help is appreciated!

Choice 1 or 2, either. I have been to Belize and Roatan and not my cup of tea. And if in the warmer months, very hot weather. I was there in early May and it was like August in Flordia, maybe worse. Maybe try a different one than Dream? Unless you live in the NOLA area and that is the draw is for convenience, but for me I would leave from Florida. So many more itineraries than just the western Caribbean. I like an eastern Caribbean itin cruises more than the Central America ones, and if you want to include Bahamas or Jamaica, why cruise all the way from NOLA, but that's me. I do like port days better than sea days, but others like sea days better.

Whichever way you go, a cruise on Carnival is always amazing. I am 5 for 5. Happy sailing.

Choice 1 or 2, either. I have been to Belize and Roatan and not my cup of tea. And if in the warmer months, very hot weather. I was there in early May and it was like August in Flordia, maybe worse. Maybe try a different one than Dream? Unless you live in the NOLA area and that is the draw is for convenience, but for me I would leave from Florida. So many more itineraries than just the western Caribbean. I like an eastern Caribbean itin cruises more than the Central America ones, and if you want to include Bahamas or Jamaica, why cruise all the way from NOLA, but that's me.

I'm not 100% set on Dream, but it is most likely at this point. I'm trying to stick to ports I can drive to, and Orlando is about as far as I can go in Florida before it becomes a 2 day drive. I've also got a certain price range in mind that I can't go over. I've debated between Pride, Dream and Sunshine. I don't think I'd like Sunshine much... too many complaints of overcrowding. If I go Bahamas, I may very well switch to the Pride, but its almost the same itinerary, so the comparison here is still valid.

Thanks so far everyone for the advice! I've heard some strong opinions on both Montego Bay and Mahogany Bay and I know Cozumel well enough myself to know how it goes.

I've heard one strong opinion in favor of the Bahamas, but in general on these boards people seem pretty lukewarm on those options. For a relatively new cruiser would they compete with these Western Itineraries or is this just not as strong of a lineup?

Between the two western options it seems like the biggest question for me is what are the advantages/disadvantages of Grand Cayman vs Belize? Do either one have awesome places to visit, or are either of them ill advised?

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but which ports are tender vs docked? Is there any way to tell?

I'm not 100% set on Dream, but it is most likely at this point. I'm trying to stick to ports I can drive to, and Orlando is about as far as I can go in Florida before it becomes a 2 day drive. I've also got a certain price range in mind that I can't go over. I've debated between Pride, Dream and Sunshine. I don't think I'd like Sunshine much... too many complaints of overcrowding. If I go Bahamas, I may very well switch to the Pride, but its almost the same itinerary, so the comparison here is still valid.

Thanks so far everyone for the advice! I've heard some strong opinions on both Montego Bay and Mahogany Bay and I know Cozumel well enough myself to know how it goes.

I've heard one strong opinion in favor of the Bahamas, but in general on these boards people seem pretty lukewarm on those options. For a relatively new cruiser would they compete with these Western Itineraries or is this just not as strong of a lineup?

Between the two western options it seems like the biggest question for me is what are the advantages/disadvantages of Grand Cayman vs Belize? Do either one have awesome places to visit, or are either of them ill advised?

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but which ports are tender vs docked? Is there any way to tell?

Not a dumb question, not at all. Belize and Grand Cayman are both tendered ports. Grand Cayman is a very short, maybe 5 minutes from ship to shore. Belize is a 15 to 20 minute tender. That was the best part for me about Belize, a long tender to shore. A very large tender with about 125 person capacity. Was quite different. We didn't leave the port there, just had a beer and bought a very over-priced shirt.

From what I have read, Belize has a lot of great shore excursions, but I have been to similar historic places, so not that much of a draw for me. For me, if given a choice, Grand Cayman over Belize, no doubt! Grand Cayman is a very pristine place. Felt very safe there, and took a trip out to 7 Mile Beach. They have a great bar there for food and drink. Beautiful beach. Never ventured anywhere else in Grand Cayman. Belize, along with Roatan was a bit too 3rd world for me. A bit dicey.

So, hope this helped a bit. I am jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com if you have any other questions. Happy cruising.

Grand Cayman and Belize are both tender ports. Both have great things to do. Grand Cayman you can swim with the sting rays and 7 mile beach is rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world......beautiful. Belize you can snorkel at the second largest barrier reef in the world, or cave tubing is very popular.

Roatan is absolutely beautiful! I love this port. Lots of options here. It might help your decision to look at the excursions offered at each port on the Carnival website.

My choice of the three is the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel cruise. This is the one we are doing for our next cruise. This will be my first time sailing out of New Orleans. I like the Sunday to Sunday option and the Dream is one of my favorite ships. You have three great choices I hope you have a wonderful cruise whichever you pick.

My choice is #3- We have done the Dream itineray with Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Snorkeling is awesome in Roatan, caves in Belize, and beach day in Cozumel!

Second choice would be #1- because I love Grand Cayman! But it is a tender port so is slight chance of getting missed.

Wouldn't even consider the Bahamas itinerary when you have these 2 itineraries to choose from.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel was by far my favorite cruise so much so I'm taking it again this year. I choose the jeep adventure in Cozumel, sunset beach hotel in Jamaica, and relaxation in the Cayman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are doing #3 this summer. Belize has the cave tubing and also good diving and snorkeling. Roatan has ziplining and good snorkeling. You already know what you like in Cozumel.

I personally didn't care for Jamaica as I didn't like people asking repeatedly if we wanted to buy drugs and I really didn't feel safe. I've stayed in Grand Cayman for a vacation and loved it, but I didn't like just going there for a day. We did snorkel right near the port and that was fun, but I was worried the time we took a tour as the traffic was really heavy coming back and I thought we would miss the ship.

I'm not saying that you will have the same things happen that we had, but I have no big desire to go to either of those ports again.

I wouldn't do the bahamas cruise.

I really want to go to the blue hole in Jamaica. It looks awesome. So my choice would be that cruise.

We just did a cruise similar to number three.

In belize we took an excursion thru island marketing to goffs caye. It is literally an island in the middle of the ocean. It was awesome. They also take you snorkeling. A review is on my signature with pictures.

In roatan zip lining is popular. We went to west bay beach thru island marketing they dropped us off at banarama resort. They have snorkeling pretty close. Its also on my review

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

Option 3 would be my first choice.

Belize may have a short 20 minute tender, but it's worth it. Cave tubing there is fabulous or you could see Mayan ruins or cruise the River Wallace or any number of fun excursions. It's a great island with wonderful people.

We also love Roatan!! The snorkeling there is FABULOUS!!!!!! Pick any excursion with snorkeling and you can't go wrong. If you need a cheap beach day, Mahogany Bay is right there at the port for free, along with the traditional cruise shopping. Victor Bodden tours in Roatan is also very good if you want to see the island.

Cozumel = Playa Palancar or Nachi Cocum for wonderful beach trips with soft white sand, great food and stunning, blue water. Each of those are relatively inexpensive.

Have been on the Pride to the Bahamas 3 times because of the easy drive to the port. Nice trip with a smaller ship and price has always been great. Just went on the elation and want to try a bigger ship. Since I need to fly to a port love the pre sail night in New Orleans.

I have never been to any of the ports, but just booked the Dream for option 2. From the research I did those ports fit my preferences best.

Belize and Mohogony Bay both seem more jungly. I've never seen white sand beaches and clear blue water, so Cozumel and Grand Cayman were my preference. I wasn't interested in Key West because I want to truly get out of the country and see new cultures, I didn't feel Key West would give me that.

The port I'm unsure of is Montego Bay. I went to Ochos Rios on my first cruise. We went on a river tubing trip, and then to a crowded beach. I am pretty neutral on going back. Maybe we will do an ATV excursion through the "jungle".

Based on OP's criteria, I'd say option 1 or 3. I really like Key West but it doesn't have as much of what the OP is looking for. I'd go with Roatan and Belize for the options in adventures listed. Go cave tubing in Belize; zip line and beach in Roatan.

Grand Cayman has snorkeling in some gorgeously blue water with the stingrays. We have done this every time. Been there 3 times. Belize has cave tubing and nice places to snorkel.

Jamaica we rafted down the Martha Brae River. Very fun.

Roatan has Victor Bodden who can set you up with awesome zip lining and snorkeling in the same day.

I wouldn't even consider Nassau or Freeport. These are not adventuresome. Check the port boards and see what every place has to offer. Me I would go back to Grand Caymen, the stingrays were awesome.

Eliminate that lousy Nassau/Freeport itinerary right off the bat. You could have fun at those ports, but all the other ports are SO much better. Many people don't really think much of those Bahamas cruises, especially for a 7-day.

For adventure, I would say to go with the Belize/Roatan itinerary. Belize is popular for the cave tubing & Mayan ruins. Roatan is popular for the ziplining & spectacular snorkeling & one of the most beautiful islands in the entire Caribbean--very mountainous. I recommend an independent tour at Roatan. Don't give in to the temptation to just stay at that manmade beach next to the ship. That would be just a regular old beach day that could be had anywhere else. Roatan is an island that begs to be explored. Spectacular snorkeling at the beaches on the other end of the island (maybe the best I've ever seen); little to no snorkeling at that beach next to the ship. Belize is not great at the surface, and the long tender ride is a turnoff. But that's why it's best to book an excursion through the ship, and there are some great adventurous or beach excursions that you could do here.

The other itinerary also isn't bad. Jamaica has that waterfall excursion that many people enjoy, although it doesn't really sound like it's for me. There is a nice beach (Doctors Cave Beach) that would be a nice beach day, with some good snorkeling off the shore. Grand Cayman has the stingrays & snorkeling, among other things. No need to go through the ship for an excursion here, as the tender ride is short & easy. Their snorkeling is good, but not as good as Roatan. I even thought the Doctors Cave Beach snorkeling was better than Grand Cayman's, having done both a day apart in 2009.

Cozumel is on both those itineraries. Great spot to take a cab to a beach. Based on what you said, I would recommend Nachi Cocum. Other beaches have more fun stuff going on, but that brings out the families. Or you could arrange a dolphin swim at Chankanaab Park.