Prescription medications

molly5673

I was told I had to keep all my prescriptions in their bottles. I want to just fix an am/pm box for convenience and to save room. I looked on the carnival faq's and couldn't find it. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks

Ask you pharmacist for a "back panel," which lists all required info for all of your scripts. There is no TSA or other govt agency or cruise line requirement for original pill bottles.

What I have done is keep that top half of the receipt with the RX numbers, and name description on it.(Or a copy). I pack my pills in a daily pill holder to keep in my carry on bag.

I have never been questioned about them.;)

I asked guest services about this last week when I called asking about a medi-cooler. They said the pill a day things are fine but they want you to have a list of all prescriptions along with the dosage instructions with you. You can write this yourself, it does not need to be "official"

I use a little am/pm planner box thingy too, and I take it on trips to save space as well. For the scrip information I simply lined/stacked my bottles and took an up-close picture of them from my phone. I have it right there if anyone needs to see it.

I use a little am/pm planner box thingy too, and I take it on trips to save space as well. For the scrip information I simply lined/stacked my bottles and took an up-close picture of them from my phone. I have it right there if anyone needs to see it.

That is a GREAT idea!! Thanks :)

What I have done is keep that top half of the receipt with the RX numbers, and name description on it.(Or a copy). I pack my pills in a daily pill holder to keep in my carry on bag.

I have never been questioned about them.;)

Same here. I also always carry an extra week of everyone's meds (packed in a 7-day a.m/p.m. holder) "just in case!"

That is brilliant!! Will use this idea on our upcoming cruise. Thanks

Hi Molly :)

Over the past few decades of sailing I've never had any major issues in regards to meds other than a typical search.

My wife says I'm a little OCD when it comes to medications:)

But I take so many meds, its like traveling with a small pharmacy.

I use daily pill holders for my vitamins & over the counter meds.

I place all of my non-narcotic rx medications into a daily pill holder as well.

However, I bring along a copy of the script label, printed out from my pharmacy.

(If ever needed or questioned, not required)

All of my narcotic rx medications I leave in their original pill bottles.

However, a copy of the script label from ones pharmacy is perfectly fine.

(If ever needed or questioned, mainly for airport security)

I also travel with a pre-filled injection medication for multiple sclerosis in a cooled travel case, along with an auto-injector.

For that I bring along a note/script from my doc & the original medication package with the script label on it.

(Mainly for airport security)

I try not to take narcotic medications ashore with me at ports during a voyage.

If I have do, I only bring what I need in the original pill bottle & leave the rest in the cabin safe in an empty spare bottle.

I also bring a few days extra supply of medications.

Have a wonderful day!

:)

I used to just bring a 7 day pill organizer with me on my cruise. This worked well for me and I didn't see any issue with it.

It wasn't until the Triumph incident that I realized how dangerous it is to just travel with the medication you need for the week. You never know when you flight will get cancelled/delayed or god forbid something will happen and you miss the ship or something worse happen.

Now I bring the bottles with me and fill the daily thing when I get to the cruise. I mean honestly, I don't have that many scripts so that probably makes a difference compared to some who have several, but just think about that when planning your meds for your next vacation. Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control and you want to make sure you have what you need.

Have been cruising with diadetes since 2004. I put my meds in the daily pill holder (no bottles). Never been asked for pharmacy documentation. When we fly which is a very rare occurance I bring only the bottles with me. Never know what TSA will question, but here also I have never been asked about my meds.

I always use the daily pill dispensers for convenience and to save space and have never had a problem, whether cruising, driving or flying. I frankly haven't given a lot of thought as to whether that's appropriate or not.

Can somebody tell me what the potential consequences would be? Obviously, the doctor and the pharmacy both would have records that would show my pills were legally prescribed if it ever got as far as having to establish that before a judge. My question is why on earth it would ever get that far? We're not talking about potential trafficking quantities (although at the start of a 2 week trip I'll admit it would be an impressive pile!) I guess I'm just getting more cranky as I get older, but I really don't understand why anyone who saw my dispenser in my luggage or in my cabin would try to make me prove I had a prescription for whatever was in there. How would they even know they weren't over-the-counter meds?

So I guess I'm just trying to imagine the encounter. How would that go? "Sir, I see you have some pills in here, let me see your labels - don't have them? Then have a seat in that cell over there until your arraignment hearing and we have the time to crush and analyze them to see what they are" It just seems over the top to me, and not a likely scenario. Besides, even if I had some labels who's to say they match up to the pills in the dispenser? It all seems just too petty to be a real concern to me.

I always use the daily pill dispensers for convenience and to save space and have never had a problem, whether cruising, driving or flying. I frankly haven't given a lot of thought as to whether that's appropriate or not.

Can somebody tell me what the potential consequences would be? Obviously, the doctor and the pharmacy both would have records that would show my pills were legally prescribed if it ever got as far as having to establish that before a judge. My question is why on earth it would ever get that far? We're not talking about potential trafficking quantities (although at the start of a 2 week trip I'll admit it would be an impressive pile!) I guess I'm just getting more cranky as I get older, but I really don't understand why anyone who saw my dispenser in my luggage or in my cabin would try to make me prove I had a prescription for whatever was in there. How would they even know they weren't over-the-counter meds?

So I guess I'm just trying to imagine the encounter. How would that go? "Sir, I see you have some pills in here, let me see your labels - don't have them? Then have a seat in that cell over there until your arraignment hearing and we have the time to crush and analyze them to see what they are" It just seems over the top to me, and not a likely scenario. Besides, even if I had some labels who's to say they match up to the pills in the dispenser? It all seems just too petty to be a real concern to me.

Potential problem would be if you are returning from a area known for pill factories, trying to bring back those types of pills that you do not have a legitimate prescription or are illegal in the US but trying to pass them off as your regular medications.

Visit a pill factory to bring back a few days supply? My crankiness would definitely come into play.

That's why they would take you and your luggage to the little room and go to work. It happens and it happens frequently. Look next time in port for signs advertising " no prescription needed".

What does "go to work" mean? If they want to ask me what each of my pills are and what they are for or who my doctor is I'd be happy to tell them. I don't mind answering questions. Have you really seen people taken away in handcuffs for having their meds in a pill dispenser?

What does "go to work" mean? If they want to ask me what each of my pills are and what they are for or who my doctor is I'd be happy to tell them. I don't mind answering questions. Have you really seen people taken away in handcuffs for having their meds in a pill dispenser?

They could take your pills away and send you on your way. Depending when this happens, you will be without medication for the remainder of your trip

Sometimes I forget some of my meds. All I have to do is go see a doctor in a port city and get a doctor to prescribe the meds I need. Those doctors are in the habit of giving the person a certificate proof of seeing a doctor and prescription to the person so they can show proof it is legal.

I have a friend that goes to Mexico all the time and she sometimes has to see a doctor for medical reasons.

The main fear of US Customs is that someone will come back to USA with a lot of drugs from Mexico. For example: an old man brought back a lot of valiums back to USA while crossing the Mexican border to the USA.

I have been cruising since 1973 and I have never heard of anybody having a problem with their meds being inspected. But I guess it happens sometimes.

I over pack my meds with notes from my doctors and also their phone numbers in case someone wants to find out if they are my drugs.

Funny story: I once read that someone wanted to take live bees onto a Cruise ship because they needed them. They said it helped their arthrirtis. sp They were not allowed on the ship in case the bees got loose on the ship. I don't blame the cruiseline.

It is now legal to use marijuana/canibes sp in California for medical reasons and pleasure reasons.

BUT.... it is illegal on all the cruise ships. My advise is to stop using it two weeks before you leave on your cruise because the affects of the marijuana sp stays in your body. I wonder if a security dog can smell it on a person's body.

I think a lot of people are getting busted for smoking marijuana on the cruise ships just because it is legal in some states. So they think it is also legal on the cruise ships because they have their doctor's certificate and I.D. Card.

Ships are like being on a foreign country since they are registered in a foreign country.

Edited by LucyR.

You seems to have missed the point.