Catholic Mass?

zorrosuncle

Hi -- Does Cunard have Catholic Mass on board? All ships?, Some?

Thanks in advance,

ZU

To the best of my understanding, on the world cruises Cunard brings on the "three Wise men" Priest, Minister and Rabbi and in addition to services they hold regular discussions on religion. Otherwise IF a priest happens to be on board Cunard will find him space and advertisement his availability. Every Sunday, the Captain holds a traditional Church of England service. Many of these have singing by crew members and other moving poems etc. Worth going if only for the seaman's prayer sung at the end of the service.

Catholic Mass is celebrated daily onboard the QM2 on the Transatlantic voyages.

It was removed about 18 months ago but has since been reinstated.

Catholic Mass onboard the Vista class ships (Q.Vic/QE) is usually available on World cruises and during the Easter and Christmas period .

If a Catholic Priest happens to be onboard any of the ships in the fleet, and travelling as a paying guest, they usually make them self known. Arrangements are then made available for services.

:)

"Can I attend a religious service whilst on board?

Although we do not have a chapel aboard any of our ships, the Captain or Staff Captain will hold an Ecumenical Service each Sunday. This usually takes place in one of the theatres on board.

A Catholic Priest will now be sailing on board all future Queen Mary 2 cruises. [Empasis mine] There will also be Catholic and Protestant Priests on board Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth during key religious dates and festivals (Christmas & Easter) with services held accordingly.

There are occasions when a priest may also be travelling as a passenger on board Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria who may offer their services. This would be an independent arrangement therefore cannot be confirmed in advance. Such services if and when available, will be advertised in the daily paper."

A Rabbi is on board for the four main Jewish festivals (Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot & Passover)

It is also a common occurrence for passengers of the same faith to organise their own services on board, if the numbers are great enough, and this would be coordinated via Reception.

The above is subject to change." Copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/life-on-board/religious_services

Edited by Salacia

I have been on board QM2 TA but also many port intensive voyages (Caribbean, NE/Canada) & there was catholic mass every day at 5 in one of the boardrooms in Connexions area. I'd skip the Sign of Peace if I were you though. Noro, you know... (I skipped the SoP, at any rate)

I don't know anything about the other Cunard ships

Just to add (though this is opinion only): I went to mass about 3X during my 12 day voyage, the priest was great...but on Sunday I skipped the catholic service & attended the one conducted by the captain, which was very nice. Great way to do both

Edited by axelskater

We just got off the Queen Victoria's World Voyage today and there was no priest on board. We were, however, fortunate enough to attend Mass in the Cathedral in Samoa and it was truly lovely. The people really could sing beautifully.

The only line which always has a Catholic Priest on board, to my knowledge, is Holland America, which used to be one of our favorite lines until they restricted the wine you could bring on board to two bottle per voyage. That terminated our relationship. :p

We did attend one ecumenical service on board the Queen Victoria, but they never seem quite right to me.

• 1 year later...
Catholic Mass is celebrated daily onboard the QM2 on the Transatlantic voyages.

It was removed about 18 months ago but has since been reinstated.

Catholic Mass onboard the Vista class ships (Q.Vic/QE) is usually available on World cruises and during the Easter and Christmas period .

If a Catholic Priest happens to be onboard any of the ships in the fleet, and travelling as a paying guest, they usually make them self known. Arrangements are then made available for services.

:)

Any updates on this? Is this still true?

Any updates on this? Is this still true?

"Although we do not have a chapel aboard any of our ships, the Captain or Staff Captain will hold an Ecumenical Service each Sunday. This usually takes place in one of the theatres on board.

A Catholic Priest will now be sailing on board all future Queen Mary 2 cruises. There will also be Catholic and Protestant Priests on board Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth during key religious dates and festivals (Christmas & Easter) with services held accordingly.

There are occasions when a priest may also be travelling as a guest on board Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria who may offer their services. This would be an independent arrangement therefore cannot be confirmed in advance. Such services if and when available, will be advertised in the daily paper.

A Rabbi is on board for the four main Jewish festivals (Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot & Passover)

It is also a common occurrence for guests of the same faith to organise their own services on board, if the numbers are great enough, and this would be coordinated via the pursers desk. Guests will be required to arrange the attendance of clergy/religious representative.

The above is subject to change." - quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/religious_services

There will also be Catholic and Protestant Priests on board Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth during key religious dates and festivals (Christmas & Easter) with services held accordingly.

- quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/religious_services

I guess a Protestant Priest would be a priest from the Anglican Communion. If he or she is American then it would be an Episcopalian Priest, English from the Church of England, and Canadian the Anglican Church. I can't think of any other Protestant denomination having priests.

• 2 years later...

I think the writer meant to say "minister" when referring to a Protestant clergyman.  On the Queen Mary crossings I've experienced there was always a Catholic priest who celebrated a daily Mass.  I sat next to the priest at dinner on one crossing and he told me that he was invited by Cunard to travel free if he celebrated Mass.  He did this routinely on cruise ships as he was long retired from parish work.  The captain of the ship officiates at the Church of England style Morning Prayer Service.  I have never heard of a Protestant minister leading a service nor have I been on board when a rabbi held a service but someone here said that rabbis are present for important holidays.  On the Queen Elizabeth the Scandinavian captain officiated at the C of E style service and at a Remembrance Day service.  I have my doubts that she is even Anglican but I don't know.  

• Thanks 1

Here's a link that lists the status of Catholic services on different cruise lines:

catholictravelguide.com

Priests on QM2 tend to come through Compass Speakers, the same organization the provides the Insights lecturers.  Compass vets them to ensure that they are validly ordained, authorized to minister, and understand their duties.  These duties include ministering to the crew.  (Those who come from the Philippines are on 9 months at a time.)

A few years ago on QV, there were two RC priests in QG who were on holiday.

One sunny afternoon they were sitting out at the bar on Deck 9, near me, when they were approached by a wee "Nelly Pledge" type London lady who wanted to be their best friend.

She rambled on and eventually told them of when her father died and that the local cemetery was full, so it would have to be a cremation and she went on to say that she then had to apply to the local archbishop for "special compensation".

I always wondered how much she got. 

Stewart

9 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Here's a link that lists the status of Catholic services on different cruise lines:

catholictravelguide.com

Priests on QM2 tend to come through Compass Speakers, the same organization the provides the Insights lecturers.  Compass vets them to ensure that they are validly ordained, authorized to minister, and understand their duties.  These duties include ministering to the crew.  (Those who come from the Philippines are on 9 months at a time.)

The priest I met on QM2 told me that the Masses for the Filipinos are extremely well attended, far more so than those for passengers.  

On 3/10/2015 at 1:08 PM, loubetti said:

QE2 had a dedicated chapel on board

It wasn't a chapel, it was actually a Synagogue. I'm honestly not sure if it was ripped out by Dubai but it was one of the few, possibly only (Princess Grill had some small modifications) completely original rooms onboard at her decommissioning. 

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It wasn't a chapel, it was actually a Synagogue. I'm honestly not sure if it was ripped out by Dubai but it was one of the few, possibly only (Princess Grill had some small modifications) completely original rooms onboard at her decommissioning. 

It shouldn't be surprising that it was taken out in Dubai. The Emirates are Muslim.