Price drop timing - Alaska 2015

stromer

I am considering a back to back Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in June 2015 but have noticed the prices have not dropped much as compared to last year when they got as low as $350 to $400/week for an inside cabin. My travel agent said the prices might drop at 60 days from the cruise date. Has anyone evaluated this theory and what have you found out. Since this is Princess' 50th anniversary could it be that the prices may not get that low this year?

Thank, RIck

Usually, prices do not drop in the period shortly before final payment. If there are to be drops, they will likely be after final payment and be for new booking only. Of course, there will only be a drop for cabins types that are not selling well.

Alaska cruises are selling like hot cakes this year! I'd book now before you totally miss out. Many Star Princess sailings are already sold out or close to, and the Coral had high prices. Some years are easy to snag last minute deals, but this does not appear to be one of them. We booked a few weeks ago, and I'm glad we did.

I am considering a back to back Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in June 2015 but have noticed the prices have not dropped much as compared to last year when they got as low as $350 to $400/week for an inside cabin. My travel agent said the prices might drop at 60 days from the cruise date. Has anyone evaluated this theory and what have you found out. Since this is Princess' 50th anniversary could it be that the prices may not get that low this year?

Thank, RIck

If you want to be sure to get the B2B you had best book as soon as you can or you may well end up with a great last minute price one way and no return voyage.

I could be wrong but I suspect that when the cruise appears pretty well booked or near sold out, but it is BEFORE final payment, there still could be several travel agencies holding cabins and have not yet released them back to Princess.

If I wanted to insure I could book a B2B and especially if I didn't want the hassle of changing staterooms I'd book early. If the price drops before final payment you can get a price adjustment from Princess.

After I retire we may well try snag spur of the moment killer deals close to or after final payment but for a planned cruise I can't see messing around when you need to book two in a row.

I could be wrong but I suspect that when the cruise appears pretty well booked or near sold out, but it is BEFORE final payment, there still could be several travel agencies holding cabins and have not yet released them back to Princess.

This is correct. Prior to final payment a TA may have a block of rooms reserved. Some or possibly all may be released before final payment.

Also, In many cases deposits are small and refundable. People just have to cancel before final payment to get a full refund.

I found out that if the price drops after you book, you can call Princess or your travel agent and request to be rebooked at a lower price. Has anyone done this successfully? I understand you have to do this - Princess will not do it automatically.

Do you have to cancel your booking and book another room?

Can you call and keep your existing room and get money credited to your credit card.

Thanks, Rick

I found out that if the price drops after you book, you can call Princess or your travel agent and request to be rebooked at a lower price. Has anyone done this successfully? I understand you have to do this - Princess will not do it automatically.

Do you have to cancel your booking and book another room?

Can you call and keep your existing room and get money credited to your credit card.

If the new pricing is not "for new bookings only" a call to your TA (or to Princess if you did not use a TA) will get the new pricing.

If the new pricing does not have the same amenities (OBC, wine, etc.) that your original booking had, you will lose those amenities but get whatever amenities the new pricing has.

After final payment deadline, most sales are restricted to new bookings only.

I booked Coral Princess July 8 sailing last November. 2 mini-suites., cruisetour. I did a dummy booking today, the price has gone up over $550 per person per cabin. I would book now! Good luck.

Edited by lazycruzer

+ 1

Srpilo

I never see price drops - only deals at the beginning of the season and DH and I jump on those deals. I keep checking for a price drop and I never see them - only price increases. As others have said - book it now and get what you want. Procrastination doesn't work too well - you snooze you lose.

I just looked at our cruise in May to Alaska out of San Francisco. The price has already gone up $500 per person, and no cabins available on the deck we choose.

Edited by elliair