Refurbished Royal Caribbean terminal in Galveston?

longhorn2004

Let's hope the ship being docked in a different location means progress. Perhaps, from time to time, you can post any other differences you notice.

Thanks for the update.

For sure I will!

4 months until we bring Liberty into Galveston from Jersey!

Completion of improvements does not look promising to me!

Edited by ssb

Oh dear, but sometimes the contractor will do this on purpose and then charge extra to get the project done on time. I was in the A/E industry for a while and without a good project management team, contractors would come up with clever ways to make more money off a construction project. So the project could get done on time, but maybe over budget. It could be something though completely unrelated like certain materials are back ordered or a sub contractor fell through and it had to go back to re-bid. You never know. Maybe EPA found something serious in the soil. Keep us posted. Curious if in four months time the project is complete! We will be using the new terminal probably in Nov 2016 for our sailing on Liberty of the Seas.

Found this photo on "current" Port of Galveston Facebook Page

reflecting third ship docked just east of other present terminals.

Is this from time past

or just a photo shop

or based on a current decision

as where the third terminal will be??????

10671303_10153422949274301_1491949703626247714_n.jpg?oh=f168d7fe7b635e73bd835209f4a9eeaa&oe=56203772

Edited by ssb

Found this photo on "current" Port of Galveston Facebook Page

reflecting third ship docked just east of other present terminals.

Is this from time past

or just a photo shop

or based on a current decision

as where the third terminal will be??????

10671303_10153422949274301_1491949703626247714_n.jpg?oh=f168d7fe7b635e73bd835209f4a9eeaa&oe=56203772

RESPONSE from Port of Galveston:

This photo is not Photoshopped. It was taken on March 23, 2015. It was after the Texas Y oil spill.Like · 19 hrs

Does anyone have an update on the expansion plans for a new/bigger cruise terminal in Galveston before the Liberty gets here in November? Drove down Harborside last week and saw nothing. Maybe I missed it? :confused:

Here's an article from May 2015. The expansion is going forward but no dates were mentioned in this article. What caught my eye though was the $46 Million generated in 2014 on shore due to cruise activity.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/05/galveston-cruise-terminal-expansion-moves-forward.html

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

No plans as RCCL is rethinking sailing from Galveston.....Was on local TV last month.

What was the news article about? As I stated in a previous post it makes sense for RCCL to move to Baypot, better facility and closer to the Airports

What was the news article about? As I stated in a previous post it makes sense for RCCL to move to Baypot, better facility and closer to the Airports

RCCL has a five year contract with the Port of Galveston.

In addition, it is hours closer to open water and, though fog periodically hampers ship traffic, the Houston port has been closed due to weather and low tide.

There are number of arguments for and against each port; but RCCl is committed to Galveston as is Carnival.

I am sure they will push to have it open when Liberty gets here in November, current place sucks.

An earlier request for information of lack in progress at terminal 2 construction resulted in an article by Laura Elder in Galveston Daily News that redesign in supporting piles and soil conditions was necessary for adequate foundation support in the area. Thus the change order in construction project and delay in start of construction.

Port officials say goal is to have substantial completion of building in time for arrival of The Liberty of Seas in November2015.

Two current construction projects underway :

1. Terminal 2 building 13 million approximately

2. Terminal 2 berth and mooring improvements $2.2 million.

Terminal 2 to be substantially completed by Liberty arrival in November 2015,

According to Port officials .

One design contract let for 100,000 for terminal 3 ,

location ? and for which cruise line ?

See Facebook Port of Galveston home page for probable site. A recent photo put up by Port on site!

A lot of work design and construction for probable fill , berth and mooring work is going on at/for or near that location used by third ship temporally at time of oil spill. The 100000 design contract is for terminal building design.

image.jpg.c58916ff4acbfc3c89e0bf4975c42928.jpg

Edited by ssb

• 2 weeks later...

Eventhough there is no new building structure steel yet,

There is obvious progress in the construction process. :)

This observation is from drive by on Harbourside.

I will drive into and by construction site next time!

Edited by ssb

ssb,

thanks for keeping everyone updated on the progress being made. It's good to know work is moving along.

Do you think you may have an opportunity to take a couple of pictures next time?

sure 👍

SSB,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated on the progress being made. It's good to know work is moving along.

Do you think you may have an opportunity to take a couple of pictures next time?

Progress:

Built up Dirt foundation for terminal and equipment from this camera angle !

Edited by ssb