How to get to Bayswater from Heathrow

Thought I would post this again since my original post didnt include a better title.

We are staying at London House Hotel in Bayswater Central West London.

What is the easiest way to get there from Heathrow Airport? This is our first time to London and are not familiar with the metro/underground system.

We plan to go to Buckingham Palace and all the tourist sites in the area. Will is be easy to get to from where we are staying? Which would be the easiest way to get there?

I have used a car service http://www.justairports.com from/to Heathrow to London hotel. Use your hotel's postal code to get a quote, the price is per car.

The Hop On/Hop Off (HOHO) bus is a great way to see the sights of London.

If you are in London during August-Sept, Buckingham Palace is open to the public. http://www.royalcollection.org.uk

Edited by phabric

How many of you and how much luggage?

A car service will certainly work, as will the Tube, but it will require changes.

Quickest and simplest: Heathrow Express to Paddington and a short cab ride to your hotel.

Slightly less quick: Heathrow Connect to Paddington and a short cab ride to your hotel.

You're actually not far from the major attractions, but they are a bit of a walk. If it were me, I'd probably consider taking the Tube from Bayswater on the Circle or District Line to Westminster, and then, with a map in hand (after first going to the Thames!), walk away from the Thames past Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Whitehall, through Saint James Park to Buckingham Palace. There's a lot to do along the side streets along the way, but that's a good start. From there, you can go through Green Park to Piccadilly, +/- Bond Street, Oxford Street, Jermyn Street, Saville Row, Piccadilly Circus, etc... The Central Line will get you back to Queensway or Notting Hill Gate from that area.

If you're willing to walk, this part of Central London is surprisingly small, imminently walkable, and very enjoyable. It's a great place to "get lost". It's what my wife and I plan to do in July!

You can get to Bayswater by tube no problem, if you don't mind a few steps. All stations at LHR are step free. You can also buy your Oyster card at LHR. Get a train on the Picadilly line (its the only one at LHR) and get off at Earls Court. Just cross the platform to get a District line train, but it MUST be heading for Edgware Road. Bayswater is the 3rd stop. You have a 24 step staircase and 5 step staircase at Bayswater to reach street level. The hotels website says its a 4 minute walk to the hotel, but I think it will be nearer 10! This page will show the route from platform to road at Bayswater. Click on the 'camera' icons to see a photo of the steps. http://www.directenquiries.com/stationDiagram.aspx?tab=StationPlanRoute&did=0048-0011352%2b0048-0016861_P2H&did1=0048-0011347_H2E&did2=0048-0011347_OUT&cid=0048-1506162&cid1=0048-1506158&cid2=0048-1506159&fid=0048-0016861&eo=&xo=&lpid=3962&sr=Y&sh=Y&level=1&dir=r&companyid=74218&company=Bayswater

Simon

I was thinking about this today as I was in the area on the tube.

To do this with easy cross-platform changes you will need to change twice - first from the Piccadilly to District at Hammersmith or Barons Court, then again at Earl's Court to get an Edgware Road branch District Line train (these only run up from Wimbledon, not the branch you will be on).

It's one of those journeys with many options that are kind of instinctive to those of us who have used the tube for years, but harder to explain! That area round Earls Court is a complicated interchange of several lines, and having different branches of the District is just confusing for new visitors....

Personally, I'd take the Heathrow Express and a cab anyway :)

We used Simply Airports last September http://www.simplyairports.co.uk

We were extremely happy with the service and quality of the vehicles. We arrived around 10 pm, and the driver was very punctual.

They also offer services other than airport runs. We visited a cousin in a S. London suburb, and they took us there and picked us up later in the evening. Again both drivers were punctual and professional.

We'll definitely be booking them for our August trip.

Thanks for posting this question, as we are also staying at the London House Hotel and need advise on how to get from the airport to the hotel. We are a group of 8. I'm concerned about my MIL's brother, who is in his upper 70s and not in the best of shape. I do not think he could navigate the 24+ steps, let alone with luggage.

A MPV+ for 8 passengers seems more economical than taking the Heathrow Express.

Heathrow Express is a great option when there's only one traveling, but it looses it's appeal when there's more than one traveling. At 21£ each, times 2 people, that's more then what I paid for airport to hotel front door delivery with a private car plus you'd still need transport to your hotel from the station.

There's a multitude of private car services (justairport, simplyairport, totallydriven, 247airporttransfers, etc) that will give you (IMO) a much better, and economical way to get you to your hotel. The price will be dependent upon the number of people, number of suitcases, and your final destination. I recommend you contact at least a couple of firms to get quotes. (Also carefully compare quotes - several firms list a price but in the small print add in wait time at the airport. (The wait time fee is logical/legal. The only reason I mention it as at least one of these companies automatically adds it into their quote.). With eight in your group I'm thinking you might want to check the price between using one large shuttle vehicle versus two.

Hope this helps,

Barbara

Thanks for posting this question, as we are also staying at the London House Hotel and need advise on how to get from the airport to the hotel. We are a group of 8. I'm concerned about my MIL's brother, who is in his upper 70s and not in the best of shape. I do not think he could navigate the 24+ steps, let alone with luggage.

A MPV+ for 8 passengers seems more economical than taking the Heathrow Express.

As already posted, for 8, the Heathrow Express loses a lot of appeal! For 1 or 2, wanting a quick, comfortable ride to Central London, it's great. For 8, I'd hire a car, or possibly two.