Shopping with the chef

CLOU

Can someone tell me when the chef decides in which port he will do shopping with the chef and is it just a first come first serve basis to sign up? I did one shopping with the chef previously, but it was arranged by a group and it was at a terrible port for this. Even the chef was frustrated trying to find fresh food. However, I think it would be great in a port with fresh markets and to then be able to come back on board and have the chef cook his purchases for us. Any insight would be appreciated.

I feel that it is 'first come first served', so go to the desk and sign up as soon as possible after boarding! You might not know until the previous day which port it will be, so a bit pot luck, but if there is a really good port for food that is the one he will choose. Bonne chance!

I have been on one shopping with the chef trip, where we went to a fish market and the chef bought a fairly large quantity of fresh sardines, but despite checking the menus in all venues we could find no evidence that they featured at any point, which was disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my most recent couple of cruises, Seabourn has tried to make the 'sign up' a bit fairer. They announce it in the Herald two nights before the planned excursion and then you have the following day to sign up (still first come first served). Attended a very good short trip (all by foot) with Chef Kurt in Croatia, where his focus was buying a ham and wild boar salami for the Epicurean Experience on deck. But he was diverted by lavender and honey...Missed the shopping trip on the most recent Far East cruise, as I had an excursion booked.

On our Baltic cruise, Gdansk was the port for shopping with the chef. I checked and signed up with one of the concierges in Seabourn square.

There were about twenty of us, which for a tour like that is a lot. The chef purchased some charcuterie and fresh vegetables. He was wary of the fish.

Supposedly they were to prepare appetizers for happy hour from the ingredients...who knows, but it was a fun photo op.

We will have to keep our eye out in the Herald. In my one experience, we were told to ask the waiter for whatever the chef has prepared with his purchases, and you would be served. However, you had to ask. It was not included on the menu.

We have shopped with the Chef in many ports and from what I have read in the

previous posts it must depend on the Chef. Any port where fish was purchased it

was always on the menu in the Veranda on the same day. Also exotic fruits, last

August it was Greek Yogurt (best we have ever tasted) we all had a spoon to

sample it in the shop. Mumbia he spent over one hour choosing spices,

Sardines are one of my favourites and I definitely had them on our return for lunch.

Which ever ship you will be sailing with I know you will enjoy the experience.

We shopped with Chef Martin in Tallin. We were a group of about 12 and went to a wonderful outdoor market and then a cheese shop. The chef decides which port and we read in the Herald about it two days before. It was a great experience. First come first served as they take a fairly small van. We enjoyed the fruit and cheese for at least a week after - fun to see what we had chosen on the menu.

One time we went shopping with the chef in Dublin with two other couples.

We ended up getting a tour, then stopped for a drink, went shopping and the

chef asked us what types of food that we enjoy. On our way back to the Pride,

he said that the following night he would prepare for all six of us a special meal

using many of the ingredients and a portion of the seafood that he had just

purchased. That was very special.

Keith

Can someone tell me when the chef decides in which port he will do shopping with the chef and is it just a first come first serve basis to sign up? I did one shopping with the chef previously, but it was arranged by a group and it was at a terrible port for this. Even the chef was frustrated trying to find fresh food. However, I think it would be great in a port with fresh markets and to then be able to come back on board and have the chef cook his purchases for us. Any insight would be appreciated.

Depends on day of week and time of day. We went on the Mediterranean foodie cruise last fall (we had actually booked it before they added that feature) and there were multiple chefs and multiple tours. ). Marseille was good but wish we had gone earlier. Ajaccio was meh, few stands. Messina, Sicily was terrific, on a Saturday. A lot of locals. Much produce was purchased. St. Tropez (the previous Saturday) had a good morning market that we went to on our own, not sure if a chef did a tour. We got a bedtime gift of macarons after the Marseille trip. Some of the bouillabaisse ingredients were purchased on at least one of the Marseille shopping tours.

On our 2012 trip we shopped at the big indoor market in Barcelona. The chef bought, among other things, a leg of ham which was displayed and served at a cocktail party the next night. He joked(?) about hiding it in his cabin lest the kitchen staff try to sample it ahead of time.

The foodie trip listed all the tours in advance, though i think one got cancelled or switched. On the other trip Barcelona was a logical choice- overnight stay and world famous market open most days.

Fun way to see things not on a normal sightseeing route, nice way to meet other passengers. i love farmers markets at home, too.

Edited by jozi
Additional info to add

If you can do it, do it. I've done probably a dozen. I always register for it the day I board. Sometimes it may interfere with other shore excursions that people want to take and it may be lightly attended.

My three faves were Sorrento, Corfu and Oman. Nothing better then shopping with the chef, coming back to the shop and having the freshest mozzarella and prosciutto served at lunch.

The funniest experience was in Corfu. At the market our group caused quite a stir as we were about 15 people and Chef was purchasing large quantities of food. Not to miss an opportunity a lady selling zucchini comes running up to chef, waving a zucchini. Our guide translated that "Maria" the zucchini lady, said she had the best zucchini in all of Corfu. The hard sell worked and chef bought kilos of it. He asked for a receipt and Maria ripped off a piece of cardboard from a box and wrote, "Maria 15€". I always wondered what the provisions manager onboard made of that receipt.

After the market we had a walking tour of the old town and then lattes with the chef at a cafe.

Those aboard both the Legend & the Spirit upcoming TA Crossing your Chefs will conduct shopping in Funchal Madeira.

Martita B.

Either that or ask the skipper to slow down half way across, drop the marina platform and rig some fishing poles off the stern...

Just back, literally 10 minutes ago, from shopping with the chef in Phuket, Thailand off Sojourn. It was great fun and educational too. The purchases - crab, fruits, herbs - are to be used in the Thai menu in Colonnade tonight. We had a tour bus and guide as the market was a good 10 miles from the port. She was also the chef's translator. I don't want to give Seabourn any ideas but today a charge would have been justified today though it of course did not occur. Last one I did was from Legend in Sicily and that was a walk to the market from the ship.

Edited by turtlemichael