Oceania 2-tier "loyalty" club

bobtay1411

How many customers are aware that Oceania now operate a two tier loyalty club? When free gratuities are offered for a cruise anyone who attained Silver level after 1st January 2013 receives $250 per CABIN OBC in lieu. Anyone who attained Silver level before that date receives OBC per PERSON equivalent to the total gratuities for the cruise. This makes a considerable difference for longer cruises - surely there should be no discrimination and the same loyalty bonuses should be given to all..

Edited by bobtay1411

I am not sure that you are not confusing things a bit.

I believe what happens to everyone is that if PPG are offered more than once for a cruse (like your TA and your status or your status and cruise perk for that cruise) then the second PPG has only a value of $250 rather than a "full" value as an OBC. This applies to everyone - previously you got the full amount of PPG as OBC. That is my understanding of this (and perhaps this came into effect on 1/1/13?).

Not sure what happens if PPG are offered 3 times for the same cruise - cruise perk by O, status perk (Gold, etc) and your TA. I suspect that the first one goes to your account as full PPG and the latter 2 are $250 each as OBC?

Is this correct Jan?

Edited by Paulchili

It is you who are confused amd indeed complicating matters. I have been in correspondence with Oceania over this and can assure you that the amount of OBC given in lieu of pre-paid gratuities is different depending on whether you attained Silver status before or after 1/1/2013. As stated an amount equivalent to the FULL amount of gratuities is given PER PERSON to those who attained Silver BEFORE 1/1/2013 and an OBC of $250 PER CABIN is applied for those who attained Silver AFTER 1/1/2013. This is in addition to the credit applied as pre-paid gratuities.

Edited by bobtay1411

This is how I understand the issue of PPGs (after my discussion with an Oceania CSR).

I suppose we are both correct as PPGs are somewhat complicated.

AFAIK, there are 3 types of PPGs:

1 That which is provided by some TAs

2 That which is given by Oceania as a perk on some cruises

3 That which is given as a status perk (Silver and above)

You are correct in stating that those who are grandfathered by achieving status before 1/1/13 will receive full amount of PPG as onboard credit IF the PPG are of the type 1 & 3. However, if the PPGs are of the type 2, even the grandfathered status holders will not receive a full amount of PPG as OBC (type 2 will be a specified amount, depending on cruise length, but not as much as full PPG).

Others please correct me if this is not accurate.

That said, this is neither unusual nor unfair. In other loyalty programs, such as for airlines, the award charts are adjusted periodically. All the major airlines have increased the amount of miles required to fly to the same destination over time. Some airlines, like AA, used to grant miles for all type of activities, not just flying (BIS). Thus people could achieve lifetime Gold and Platinum status without flying all that much ("lucky ducks" that have been grandfathered by a certain date). This is not the case anymore - you must fly to earn the miles. They, like all reward programs, reserve the right to adjust and change the rules of their reward programs as they see fit. Consumers that do not like it are free to leave for another program.

Remember that Oceania grew considerably from their humble beginnings. Now that they have many more elite customers, they can no longer be as generous with rewards and still be fiscally responsible to shareholders. At least they “honored” their early supporters by grandfathering them in. After all, these are the people who made them successful in their early years and allowed them to grow.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose when these changes are instituted

JMO

If there is going to be change, it has to start somewhere (sometime?). But, once something is given to guests before the change, it really isn't fair to take it away. At some point, all the "grandfathers" will go away and everything will be equal again (until the next change).

If there is going to be change, it has to start somewhere (sometime?). But, once something is given to guests before the change, it really isn't fair to take it away. At some point, all the "grandfathers" will go away and everything will be equal again (until the next change).

+1

well said

Gee, the last big corporation I worked for before retiring, was using 4 different employee benefits manuals. The company had been bought out, merged. etc

and depending when you were hired and who was the owner the benefits were completely different. The longer you had been there the better they usually were. Some long time employees had pension plans, we did not, and fully paid health insurance which we did not have.

I know there is a story in the bible, which I am too lazy to look up, about two workers in the fields hired for different pay.

Still wrong, Paulchili!

I quote from an e-mail sent to me by Oceania :-

"The Oceania Club program was updated based on the feedback we have received from our past guests to address combinability concerns.

Guests who achieved Silver Level Status or higher prior to January 1, 2013

If guest booked under a promotional offer or into a group with prepaid gratuities, the prepaid gratuities earned as part of their Oceania Club loyalty benefits will be converted into a shipboard credit equal to the full value of the prepaid gratuities ($15 for staterooms or $22 for suites per guest, per day). This shipboard credit will be provided in addition to the shipboard credit already included as part of their loyalty benefits.

Guests who achieved Silver Level Status on or after January 1, 2013

If guest booked under a promotional offer or into a group with prepaid gratuities, the prepaid gratuities earned as part of their Oceania Club loyalty benefits will be converted into a $250 per stateroom shipboard credit. This shipboard credit is in addition to the shipboard credit already included as part of their loyalty benefits"

Edited by bobtay1411

Still wrong, Paulchili!

"The Oceania Club program was updated based on the feedback we have received from our past guests to address combinability concerns.

If guest booked under a promotional offer or into a group with prepaid gratuities, the prepaid gratuities earned as part of their Oceania Club loyalty benefits will be converted into a shipboard credit equal to the full value of the prepaid gratuities ($15 for staterooms or $22 for suites per guest, per day). This shipboard credit will be provided in addition to the shipboard credit already included as part of their loyalty benefits.

If guest booked under a promotional offer or into a group with prepaid gratuities, the prepaid gratuities earned as part of their Oceania Club loyalty benefits will be converted into a $250 per stateroom shipboard credit. This shipboard credit is in addition to the shipboard credit already included as part of their loyalty benefits"

It is with interest that I find your post incorrect. I AM a silver level post 2013 and we receive a PER PERSON credit in an amount OVER your stated PER STATEROOM credit. Just saying. Don't always go by O's info, they have often been VERY incorrect

It is with interest that I find your post incorrect. I AM a silver level post 2013 and we receive a PER PERSON credit in an amount OVER your stated PER STATEROOM credit. Just saying. Don't always go by O's info, they have often been VERY incorrect

Is that OBC from your TA or Oceania? As I said my quote was from an e-mail from Oceania's Customer Service team.

Is that OBC from your TA or Oceania? As I said my quote was from an e-mail from Oceania's Customer Service team.

As I stated, O's customer service team is not the be all end all. My next 2 cruises had PPG 's by O NOT ny TA. We get a Per PERSON obc in lieu of PPG. This amount is more than your stated PER STATEROOM amount , not by much I will say, but it is PER PERSON. Also our last two cruises reflected the same per person amount.

Off topic, it's a great way to pay for the prestige liquor package:D

So a pre 2013 couple on a seven day cruise would fare worse than a post 2013, while any cruise over 9 days the pre would come out ahead, unless they're in a suite then it would be 6 or more where the pre comes out ahead.

Hmm? is that fair to the pre 2013 cruisers on a cruise less than 9 days. Perhaps they should make $250 the minimum.

Good problems to have.

This is what actually happened, from personal experience. We are silver after 2013. Before reaching the silver level, on a cruise with prepaid grats perk, we received nothing beyond the prepaid perks. After achieving silver, we received $250 per cabin for cruises exceeding 7 days, and $210 for a 7 day cruise. We're happy with that, and just look at it as a further silver perk. We've cruised many lines since the early 80's, but never had a loyalty to one line until Oceania. We've mostly stuck with O since our first O cruise, and certainly are happy with the perks we get, and don't begrudge the better benefits to those who achieved silver prior to 2013. Be happy with your glass half full. It's better than an empty glass..

Still wrong, Paulchili!

Here is part of my post:

"You are correct in stating that those who are grandfathered by achieving status before 1/1/13 will receive full amount of PPG as onboard credit..."

Thus I agree with you that those who are "grandfathered" will get full amount of PPG as OBC

I did not state how much those who are not grantfathered will get (apparently it is $250) - but i DID NOT imply or state that they too will get the full amount

Actually, I believe that I am right (and that we are basically saying the same thing).

See my notes in pink above.

I called O again and spoke to a different CSR. He could not give me an answer to my question as to what happens when one gets 3 PPGs on the same cruise. My TA will call O and ask this question from his contact there.

There is agreeement that the grandfathered cruisers will get full amount og PPG as OBC and others will not. The confusion (for me) is what happens when there are 3 PPGs on the same cruise. I don't believe that even those who are grandfathered will get all 3 as full amount.

The bottom line is this - I have a B2B cruise coming up in 10 days. Both segments have 3 PPGs (TA, cruise perk & Silver/Gold perk). I would love to get 3 times the full amount of PPGs but I don't think I will (even though I am "grandfathered"). I expect 2 full PPG and one lesser amount, depending on the length of my cruise. The second segment of the B2B will be the same situation.

I will report back here to this thread as to what actually happened.

The bottom line is this - I have a B2B cruise coming up in 10 days. Both segments have 3 PPGs (TA, cruise perk & Silver/Gold perk). I would love to get 3 times the full amount of PPGs but I don't think I will (even though I am "grandfathered"). I expect 2 full PPG and one lesser amount, depending on the length of my cruise. The second segment of the B2B will be the same situation.

I will report back here to this thread as to what actually happened.

Actually Paul, in your case if your TA is truly providing the full amount of PPG's for you, why don't you simply ask him to provide a check for that amount direct to you since the cost is exactly the same to your TA and you would be back to the 2 PPG's which you know what you will get.

Your TA comes out even and you come out ahead and don't have to worry about triples!! If on the other hand O is providing part of what you say your TA is providing, that is a whole different issue but, would not think O would be involved in the PPG's from you TA when they are providing PPG's as part of the cruise.

Always better to get a check and then use it for what you want.

Actually Paul, in your case if your TA is truly providing the full amount of PPG's for you, why don't you simply ask him to provide a check for that amount direct to you since the cost is exactly the same to your TA and you would be back to the 2 PPG's which you know what you will get.

Your TA comes out even and you come out ahead and don't have to worry about triples!! If on the other hand O is providing part of what you say your TA is providing, that is a whole different issue but, would not think O would be involved in the PPG's from you TA when they are providing PPG's as part of the cruise.

Always better to get a check and then use it for what you want.

I believe it is part of a "group booking" but I will check all my options on Monday.

When we have had three PPG, one from our level, one from our TA and one from a promo, we have always gotten :

1,PPG for the cruise

2.An OBC equal to the length of the cruise at the current daily rate from our TA as part of a group booking. Rarely has she been able refund in cash.

3. A shipboard credit from $200-$400 in lieu of the Promo PPG.

The promo shipboard credit value seems to be based on the popularity, cost and length of the cruise. We hae never figured out the formula.

Sometines we don't know the exact figures until we board.(Kinda fun rushing to the cabin to see how rich we are!)

When we have had three PPG, one from our level, one from our TA and one from a promo, we have always gotten :

1,PPG for the cruise

2.An OBC equal to the length of the cruise at the current daily rate from our TA as part of a group booking. Rarely has she been able refund in cash.

3. A shipboard credit from $200-$400 in lieu of the Promo PPG.

The promo shipboard credit value seems to be based on the popularity, cost and length of the cruise. We hae never figured out the formula.

Sometines we don't know the exact figures until we board.(Kinda fun rushing to the cabin to see how rich we are!)

Glad to see you post this as this is EXACTLY what I posted in my post #5. This is valuable info as it is based on actual experiences (plural :)), which is what really matters in the end rather than what a given CSR states on the phone or in an e mail.

I know there is a story in the bible, which I am too lazy to look up, about two workers in the fields hired for different pay.

(full disclosure: I am not being 'not lazy' - I am avoiding getting back to work after lunch)

Matthew 20:1-16 aka 'The Parable of Workers in the Vineyard'. folks who worked longer expected more pay than the latecomers and grumbled when they were all paid equally... in Ma20:15 the landowner replies " 'Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?' "

Ma20:16 is the well known "So the last will be first, and the first will be last." (NIV)

Apparently, some topics are ever-green ;)

To Paulchili, we are on the same March 22 - Apr 1, cruise that you are on. We achieved Silver Level status after January 1, 2013, and this cruise offers a promotional PPG. Is the $250 per stateroom credit reflected on your Guest Statement under the promotional amenities because of the Oceania Club Benefits due? Ours is not reflected on our statement as of yet. We are still waiting for a new invoice. Thank you.

Edited by 4JACK

4JACK,

Under Promotional Amenities I have both the Your World and Oceania Club PPG listed but no specific amount for either. Under Group amenities I have PPG from TA (no amount) + some other things.

However, this is a quote from my TA:

“Just got off and they are 99.9% certain that the additional OBC in lieu of your world your way grats will also be $ 22 per person per day” (we are in a PH)

So – I just might get all 3 PPG in full amount (2 of them as OBC)? The TA is supposed to get back to me before Sat with the definite answer as they were having computer issues when he called.

See you onboard

Paulchili, thanks for responding. Our Oceania Consultant basically said all appropriate credits will be applied before boarding. Looking forward to getting all due OBCs. Have a save journey to Miami. We are travelling to Miami from Philadelphia. Hope to meet you onboard.

We have this problem each cruise. The invoice does not indicate dollar amounts or sometimes credit categories. They are always there when we board and the "cards" are in the room.

We carry the e-mail from our TA outlining her understanding of the credits so we have it if we need it. So far we have not.

I don't know why their invoice cannot catch up with reality.