Hard So-So Review for Quantum by LA Times

I was hard on the NCL Epic and was a cheerleader type for Royal, so I feel I should be honest here as well. I use the Disney Magic standard to judge my cruise experiences.

Even through I am pro-Royal, I must tell it like it is!

And now I have read the L.A. Times' review. It's not a scream of joy, but it is full of praise and upbeat descriptions.

I hardly see it as some sort of "problem review."

And like Phoenix Cruiser, I am getting tired of gkbiii's relentless attacks on QOS.

Interesting review but I don't think it slammed the ship too bad. The wifi stinks, don't care because I won't pay for it and use it. Dynamic Dining stinks, I think it will but I'll give it a shot before complaining about it. Promenade is too small when temps outside are 30 degrees, no kidding!

The cutting edge stuff is well received, with lines of course. That's what I took from the review.

And now I have read the L.A. Times' review. It's not a scream of joy, but it is full of praise and upbeat descriptions.

I hardly see it as some sort of "problem review."

And like Phoenix Cruiser, I am getting tired of gkbiii's relentless attacks on QOS.

MERION mom rules. Go 'nova

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting review but I don't think it slammed the ship too bad. The wifi stinks, don't care because I won't pay for it and use it. Dynamic Dining stinks, I think it will but I'll give it a shot before complaining about it. Promenade is too small when temps outside are 30 degrees, no kidding!

The cutting edge stuff is well received, with lines of course. That's what I took from the review.

Just got off the ship friday, dynamic dining isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be, just be a bit patient and you'll figure it out on day one. The staff is uber helpful. The fact that the food is better than any ship i've been on makes it that much better.

Also the wifi was pretty good actually, we didn't get it until our last two days, i was able to stream an entire soccer game on my phone while having drinks at the solarium bar, not too bad.

I kinda like the review, and without knowing the ship, it seems to be that the mentioned problems in the article are true.

And what really botheres me: NO VIKING CROWN LOUNGE or any other lounge with sea-view (at least in front direction/direction of travel) :mad: and no traditional dinner, where one can choose between fixed and my time dining... :rolleyes:

And do we really need such a Smartphone-related ship, and a bar where a robot is serving you?

I wanna be on vacation!

Also to me, the ship seems to be too "gimmickly" - and the "oh so great" amenities such as bumper cars, NorthStar etc. cannot balance out the things/facilities I miss, compared to other RCI ships.

So I am happy to sail on the "oldtimer" (:D), compared to Quantum, fully out-fashioned Vision otS - but at least I am travelling on a true cruise ship, which is also not unattractive! [emoji5]

Also in future, I will focus my interest on Vision-, Radiance-, Voyager-, or Freedom-Class-ships! [emoji5]

Really loved Liberty last year - an innovative, but IMHO still "true" cruise ship...

The LA Times Travel Section has given the Quantum of the Seas, a lackluster review: http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-d-quantumcruise-mainbar-20150315-story.html#page=2

WOW, the ship will remain controversial through her redeployment to China!

Thanks for the post , ship does not seem to be my cup of tea, not saying I would not like to try it sooner of later when prices go down

I kinda like the review, and without knowing the ship, it seems to be that the mentioned problems in the article are true.

And what really botheres me: NO VIKING CROWN LOUNGE or any other lounge with sea-view (at least in front direction/direction of travel) :mad: and no traditional dinner, where one can choose between fixed and my time dining... :rolleyes:

And do we really need such a Smartphone-related ship, and a bar where a robot is serving you?

I wanna be on vacation!

Also to me, the ship seems to be too "gimmickly" - and the "oh so great" amenities such as bumper cars, NorthStar etc. cannot balance out the things/facilities I miss, compared to other RCI ships.

So I am happy to sail on the "oldtimer" (:D), compared to Quantum, fully out-fashioned Vision otS - but at least I am travelling on a true cruise ship, which is also not unattractive! [emoji5]

Also in future, I will focus my interest on Vision-, Radiance-, Voyager-, or Freedom-Class-ships! [emoji5]

Really loved Liberty last year - an innovative, but IMHO still "true" cruise ship...

It's 'gimmicky' because RCI have to future proof their business. They need the young and 'trendy' to want to sail with them now so the become regulars in the future. They are trying to change the perception of cruising. I think this is perhaps why so many mixed reviews.

I haven't been on any ship before, i'm just going by my research :)

I just finished a 9 day cruise and I used the wifi heavily - streamed netflix and youtube a LOT. I also posted/checked on instragram constantly. I never had any issues at all.

I felt the wifi was great!

My wife and I have been cruising since 1998 on the Legend of the Seas and now with more than 60 cruises under our belts we have seen a big change in the industry.

These NEW changes to the fleet do not appeal to us, we feel that many of the great things we love about cruising are disappearing.

I do understand that the younger cruisers will find these new features attractive, I only hope they don't change the older ships too much...I feel each class of ship has its charm and it would be nice to be able to still cruise like before.

I just finished a 9 day cruise and I used the wifi heavily - streamed netflix and youtube a LOT. I also posted/checked on instragram constantly. I never had any issues at all.

I'm not discounting your experience at all in saying this so please don't take offense.

That sounds like Hell to me. That's what I cruise to get away from. Disconnecting is what it is all about for us :(.

From my side, I am QUITE HAPPY that Quantum Class is mainly moving to China (Quantum/Ovation) and Anthem to be deployed from Cape Liberty - and all ships doing itineraries not very appealing to me.

Great that they do not overtake the interesting itineraries from other ships, I would sail on! [emoji5]

Frustrating enough to see the Canada/NE sailings with Quebec to be dropped down in 2016, and Anthem doing an unspectacular 9 night Canada/NE itinerary - and that's being RCI's longest Canada/NE cruise in 2016!! :mad: :eek:

So when choosing Canada/NE sooner or later, I see myself focusing on Celebrity, Holland America or Princess.

From my side, Quantum Class could jump into the lake.

That makes me really unhappy to see Splendour going out of RCI fleet in 2016 - hop other older ships will not follow soon! :mad: :(

And regarding the queation: NCL Breakaway or RCI Quantum Class - one of the very less cases where I'd choose NCL over RCI, I think... :rolleyes:

Edited by celebrity_fan

We are on Quantum right now as I write this. I feel the review is based on expectations of a traditional style cruising. Wifi for us is on and off, depending on location and time of day. You never know whether it is gonna be good or not.

Dynamic dinning is ok. It is fun to try different restaurants. Food quality is good to ok. They tried hard we can tell. But the soups sometimes arrive luke warm and tastes just ok. That said, I am not that into traditional dinning. I find it boring.

Regarding Dynamic Dinning reservations, I spent hours and hours to book and change. The system is sometimes down and the entertainment schedule came out when all the dining were fully booked. Not fun. There can be a ton of improvement there.

And after u get on board, it is easy to fix and book dining on Day 1. They reserve quite a few spots and pretty much all is available.

Notice this is a recent review, but nothing has gotten much better than on my cruise on her, on Nov. 2 2014.

We were onboard in November and again in February and thought that many of the problems (not all of them) had been resolved and we had a great time onboard. If they can resolve the IT issues, the experience should be first rate but there will always be some who look for things to complain about. We found that it was often possible to go to one of the complimentary dining venues around 7:15 at night (without advance reservations) and were seated and served promptly.

Looking forward to cruising on Anthem sometime next year.

The LA Times Travel Section has given the Quantum of the Seas, a lackluster review: http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-d-quantumcruise-mainbar-20150315-story.html#page=2

WOW, the ship will remain controversial through her redeployment to China!

This was a very well written, fair review.

The author seems to be objective about things and offers both positive and negative views of the ship.

All in all, this isn't a ship for every cruiser, and like anything else, some will love it and some will find it a bit gimmicky.

I tend to think that I'll fall into line with those that find it gimicky, but as the writer points out, there are a lot of people that are curious enough to get on board.

I too will board Anthem in June 2016 and am looking forward to the experience.

This isn't a Royal Caribbean slam as much as it is to say that not every experiment works.

People need to stop taking criticism personally, take a deep breath and learn to be objective.

The people that can't do that are the same people that think that their children are perfect and can't do anything wrong.

I strongly recommend therapy!:rolleyes:

How much was thE wifi? I can't get a strait answer on this either from RC?