So..how hard is the first SOLO cruise?

KPfromCT

My second cruise was solo and I loved it. Dinner was a little tricky because I am quite introverted and didn't want to sit with strangers, I also follow a vegan diet and I didn't want to be at a table with others asking a bunch of questions about food prep, etc. I ate alone in the dining room one night, the other nights I ate on the lido.

I loved loved loved not having to ask anyone anything all day long. I did what I wanted, when I wanted. I read 4 or 5 books. It was pretty awesome.

I stayed on ship one port (progresso), it was rainy and I hadn't planned anything and went to nachi cocom in cozumel (I'd been before and felt safe in a cab alone)

There were a couple of times where I wished I had someone to chit chat to, but found playing trivia helped. People are friendly.

Have Fun!

In my opinion, Solo Cruising is FANTASTIC!

I have sailed as a single parent with my kids, with a BF, with a friend and solo. I absolutely love solo cruising and am looking forward to my next one.

When I sail solo I like to select Late Dining (which is actually what I always do). On solo cruises I have always been seated with "like" people. I enjoy the traditional dining with the same waiters and Pax at dinner each night. I have found that at dinner I met people who I would continue to to go out with throughout the evening

Another thing I have done when sailing solo is book ship excursions. I have found that this is a great way to meet people as well as feel safe and secure. When I sail in a group I tend to do private excursions but as a solo I prefer the ship excursion or just walking about by myself or not getting off at all!

The amazing thing about a solo cruise is the ability to do what you want whenever you want without ever thinking about another person.

You say that you are outgoing, I am as well. I had no problem sitting with a cup of coffee and chatting with people or walking into the Piano Bar and enjoying the evening.

Just do it.....I think you will be glad!

DH and I are separated, and have been for 7+ years. We have a DD who is 16 years old.

Clearly, I am the ONLY one who LOVES cruising.

For the past 3 years, we have all gone together.

This year, they don't seem into it.:mad::mad:

I found a good deal, for a single, inside, on the Sunshine. It's a 5 nighter, so I am thinking that's a good way to get my feet wet. Being a solo....:o

I consider myself outgoing, but then I start thinking about the MDR and sitting with a bunch of strangers, and I feel the anxiety building....:rolleyes:

Think I'll be OK?

Thank you in advance for all the tips and suggestions.:D

I've never sailed solo but give you so much credit for continuing to pursue cruising in spite of the fact that you won't have people to go with.

After dealing with folks making plans for past vacations and people backing out and/or just being royal pains and not as passionate about cruising as me, it's sometimes best to just go on your own. Dance to the beat of your own drum and enjoy. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Last year I did my first solo cruise and it was wonderful! I am 50ish female and originally booked a 7 day Southern cruise on Valor but got cold feet and changed it to a 5 day out of Miami (thank goodness for travel insurance)!

You will have a blast. I did anytime dining and always sat by myself and next time will do early dining and ask to sit at a group table. Loved having my own cabin and going and coming when pleased!

Have fun and enjoy yourself!

DH and I are separated, and have been for 7+ years. We have a DD who is 16 years old.

I found a good deal, for a single, inside, on the Sunshine. It's a 5 nighter, so I am thinking that's a good way to get my feet wet. Being a solo....:o

I consider myself outgoing, but then I start thinking about the MDR and sitting with a bunch of strangers, and I feel the anxiety building....:rolleyes:

Think I'll be OK?

good for you! woo! cruise baby cruise!!! i am sort of going solo this time.. rooming with two friends that i met on my splendor cruise last year.. but i am excited its just us girls! i have no husband to answer to or mom.. get to do what i want when i want! that is what i am getting excited about!!!

i am outgoing and make friends pretty easy as well.. go with the flow.. you be cruisin!

Hi, I am another longtime solo cruiser and it is the only way I cruise:D:)

I agree with the folks who say it is fantastic.....doing whatever you want,

whenever you want (or don't want).......

I will be cruising to Alaska in May (solo of course);)......I remember

my first solo cruise....it was way back in 2003......I knew I would be

cruising again before that cruise was 1/2 way finished.....I loved it

soooooo much and have never looked back:)

I would say, check the roll call forum for your particular cruise. It is a

nice way to meet other people.

Hope you have a great time!:D

Thank you!!! Again, I AM an outgoing person, but I guess I worry more about security and being safe. Weird like that. I think I'll be fine. Thank you again!:D

Hello........

Most of my Cruises has been Solo..........

I think a Cruise is a safe Vacation as a Solo.....

When I go to the Dining Room ATD sometimes I get a small table...

Those small tables are so close really you aren't sitting alone...

Sometimes I'll ask the Hostess for a large table to share....

Clearly we all rave about solo cruising :) But yes, I'll admit the my first solo cruise was very hard and anxiety-ridden ... all the way up to actually arriving at the pier.

During the planning phase, I was imagining all sorts of "what ifs" - what if no one talks to me, what if I have horrible dinner partners, what if people treat me like a pariah because Im' traveling alone, blah blah blah. It didn't help that everyone I talked to before the cruise would tell me "You're so brave" (when the look in their eyes really was saying "You're so nuts!").

But as soon as I got to the ship, I knew I'd be fine. I think cruisers are just friendly people, in general (yes, there are exceptions, but you can usually identify them quickly and avoid!!). Even when chatting with people in line to check in, I'd get the "You're so brave" comment, but this time the look in their eyes was saying "dang, I'm jealous!" I had really nice, quirky MDR dinner companions that I got to know over the week (always do traditional dining at an 8-top if I can - that way there are enough people to keep the conversation going).

So yes, you'll be fine and best of all, you'll be on a cruise!! Squeeee!

I've never sailed solo but give you so much credit for continuing to pursue cruising in spite of the fact that you won't have people to go with.

After dealing with folks making plans for past vacations and people backing out and/or just being royal pains and not as passionate about cruising as me, it's sometimes best to just go on your own. Dance to the beat of your own drum and enjoy. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Awwwww!!!!! Thank you!!!! This post made my day!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go and have fun.

I'll admit that the first one had me a bit worried. I've cruised often and had cabins to myself before, but I always knew someone else on the ship. I think it was 2008 that I decided to go solo. I wanted to cruise and none of my friends had the vacation time and/or money. I didn't want to stay home just because I couldn't find anyone to go with. I'd cruised enough to know I'd be OK on the ship and feel safe.

I wondered if I'd feel lonesome. Honestly, there was a time or two when I felt a bit sorry for myself, but then I'd just get up and do something. When I left the ship that first solo time, I didn't know if I'd do it again, but in a very short period of time I was looking at what my next cruise would be. I never looked back.

It's an advantage to be OK with yourself and know that you can have a good time without someone else. I never count on meeting people to keep me company or entertain me. That said, I have usually met nice people who are warm and welcoming. On a couple of cruises I met people who I really care about and continue to be my friends. On some cruises, I just meet nice people and we go our separate ways after the cruise.

I actually like to dine alone. I'm not a big fan of the main dining room and often eat in the buffet for dinner. I don't like that it takes so much time to eat in the MDR. I bring a book and am fine. If I choose to go to the MDR I choose Anytime dining and I ask to sit with others. I meet more people this way and it's fun hearing different stories.

I strongly encourage you to join the roll call for your cruise. Be active in it. It's great to meet people that way for some, but more than anything I love to have people to talk to about my upcoming cruise. Since I'm going solo, my friends don't have the same enthusiasm. The folks on the roll call are as excited as I am. Most of my cruise friends that I've kept in contact with were people I met at the CC meet & greet.

Just go and have fun. It's a gift to be able to do this. I've had people tell me they are jealous and wish they had the nerve to cruise alone. Most people are very positive about it. You may meet some who imply they feel sorry for you. I just tell them I'm so lucky. I get to do whatever I want when I want. It's wonderful.

Have a good time.

In my early years of cruising I planned very structured cruises. I mostly act meals in the dining room, did formal nights, booked cruises with mostly port visits, and booked shore excursions with the cruise line. I think in my early cruising days I was afraid of too much alone time on a ship.

Now I love sea days and look for at least 2 on every cruise. I book any time dining on all trips and eat in the MDR half the time or less. I haven't done formal nights in years. I still mostly book shore excursions with the cruise line but, if I'm at a port that I've been to before and feel comfortable at, I go off on my own.

I love being with the sea now. I love my West Coast cool weather cruises and my favorite thing to do is find an outside spot on a ship and enjoy.

I'm not an experienced traveler. Solo travel to foreign countries on my own feels stressful. Cruising is so easy. Its the best of being alone and being social. Faith

hi KPfromCT: So did you book your cruise? :D

I wanted to cruise and none of my friends had the vacation time and/or money. I didn't want to stay home just because I couldn't find anyone to go with.

Exactly! After a terrible summer in 2011, going thru Chemo and radiation, I just needed a break. Wanted to cruise, but it was the end of the year and nobody could go. So I bit the bullet and booked a solo. DH is not a fan of cruising anyway, so he said go and have fun and be safe and I'll stay home and watch the dogs. :)

I actually like to dine alone. I'm not a big fan of the main dining room and often eat in the buffet for dinner. I don't like that it takes so much time to eat in the MDR. I bring a book and am fine.

Again, exactly. I open my bottle of wine that I'm allowed, grab a glass and my book and head to the buffet.

[KruzPrincess - great minds... :D)

Nobody cares what you are doing and that you are alone. Its fun, again, grabbing my book and will go sit at the bar for a drink, but most times end up chatting with the bartender.

The best part is having a cabin to yourself. Seriously. Can spread all my crap out in the bathroom, etc. :D

I am a huge reader, and still enjoy an actual book. A bunch of the weight in my suitcase is paperbacks ready to be enjoyed. lol Usually by the end of the trip I've read most of them, and then just leave them in the cabin for someone else, or one time I made friends with a bartender and she took them all at the end of my cruise. Then I have all that empty space for goodies to take home.

Go and enjoy!

[hey ChiGal1962 in Downers - shout out from Woodridge, IL! Small world. :)]

Edited by cruisin*tigger

I've only been on one cruise, and it was as a solo, but I'd echo a lot of the advice you've gotten from others with lots more experience.

Join your roll call. It was great to go into the cruise "knowing" a few people. If you click with a few in the roll call, make plans for a meet up for coffee or a cocktail - enough time to find out if you'd like to spend more time with them on the ship but not so much that if you don't mesh well you'll feel trapped.

I was nervous about my tablemates for dinner, but it couldn't have worked out better. My table in the MDR was 7 people (5 women, 2 men) who weren't with a significant other, and then one poor couple on their honeymoon, who we never saw after the first night. It was a ton of fun to talk about what we'd been up to each day during dinner, and then many of us would go out to dancing/karaoke/show together after dinner. I really loved this- I'm an extroverted introvert so I enjoy people but also love and get recharged by my alone time. It was really the best of both worlds to have people to do things with but also to plan to be by myself.

Since it was my first cruise, I also took ship-based excursions. I had planned one on my own but our ship couldn't dock that day so we missed the port. Since you're an experienced cruiser, you will know your level of comfort with booking outside excursions vs. ship based ones.

A few nerves are natural, but I have no doubt you will have a fantastic time.

You'll be fine - you can be as outgoing or not as much as you like, it's your vacation and you don't have to compromise because it all your decisions and yours alone. :) Although I do have to give a bit of a warning regarding the MDR especially if its an assigned seating time - Your tablemates can be crapshoot sometimes. For my very 1st solo trip, I had the 8:15pm seating which was fine, a table for 10 solo travelers, which for most of the week only 5 show up (me included). The worst part about it to me, which may or may not bother you; was that others were not talking; it was hard to even get a 'Hi', 'Hello' or 'How was your day?" out of them aka crummy to carry a conversation by yourself / might as well sat by yourself. If don't want to run into a problem like that, I suggest the MyTime dining - At least your tablemates don't mind you seating with them and who knows? Might arrange something between yourselves if you dine together later in the week or another activity. Also, no pressure if it doesn't work out. :p

My second solo in a few days and I am still nervous about dinner. I am doing early dining. I like eating early and then having my nights free to walk around the ship and participate in activities. I pray that my table mates will be great like last time.

Think I'll be OK?

A 5 night is perfect for a first solo trip.. You should definitely do it. If dinner in the mdr makes you nervous try going to lunch or breakfast in there first. That may give you an idea of what it's like for dinner. If you don't like it you could always do the buffets.

Good luck and have a great time:D

I'm doing my first solo soon and choose second seating in the MDR. I think the buffet would be a little more awkward sitting alone.

It's not awkward at all for me, but you know yourself the best. I actually enjoy that quiet time reading my book. It's faster and I can go when I want. In the MDR, you will spend time with the same people and talk with them every night.

I'm doing my first solo soon and choose second seating in the MDR. I think the buffet would be a little more awkward sitting alone.

It looks like you've been on cruises before so you know what to expect. For the most part no one around you is paying attention to you since they are too busy worrying about themselves.

Don't be nervous, you'll have a great time.

I'm leaving April 10th for my 3rd solo trip and it can't come soon enough..

Have a great time