Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

I will wait to have this confirmed by someone who actually ate in a speciality restaurant and can confirm. Yes the 18% is new but for beverages. They will take a cut in gratuity from me if it is the case. $4.50 vs the $10.00 I usually provide

I will wait to have this confirmed by someone who actually ate in a speciality restaurant and can confirm.
The OP's report seems pretty reliable to me: The fine print in the Daily says 18% added to the cover charge, not to drinks. The question is whether this is going to become a fleetwide policy. It does seem to me like a lot of price hikes all at once. Any bets on when they will raise the corkage fee (and/or add the 18% auto-tip to it)? That seems like an obvious candidate to me, in fact I wonder if they don't already apply the 18%…
They will take a cut in gratuity from me if it is the case. $4.50 vs the $10.00 I usually provide
I would guess that most people leave $0.00, so the staff will probably come out ahead. But do the servers in La Cucina really deserve only half as much in tips as the servers in Cagney's? That is the fundamental idiocy of percentage-based tipping. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I will wait to have this confirmed by someone who actually ate in a speciality restaurant and can confirm. Yes the 18% is new but for beverages. They will take a cut in gratuity from me if it is the case. $4.50 vs the $10.00 I usually provide

We were on the Pride of America last week (3/7/15-3/14/15) and were not charged an additional 18% on the charges, but when the ship was in port, we were charged taxes on the surcharge.

don't know if useful but on the ncl.co.uk website it says under the pricing for the UDP

Dining packages are non-refundable and must be purchased for the whole cruise. It can be purchased for children 13 years of age and older and adults. Please note that we charge 18% gratuity

I cannot see this at all if i log onto the ncl.com website :confused:

Big cut from us as well.

don't know if useful but on the ncl.co.uk website it says under the pricing for the UDP

Dining packages are non-refundable and must be purchased for the whole cruise. It can be purchased for children 13 years of age and older and adults. Please note that we charge 18% gratuity

The US Site:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00

Harriet

Here is what it says on the US website:

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Entertainment-based dining and Chef’s Table are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. Reservations are not required however table availability will be guaranteed for Ultimate Dining Package guests with 24-hour advance reservation. The UDP does not include beverages. Child pricing remains as is for specialty dining. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings.

Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales.

I was under the impression that once the cruise was paid for in full the contract I had was the contract that was to be followed. Any changes would occur after my cruise. But......that's just what I thought.

Harriet

Nothing but the basic cruise fare is locked in by the contract. Service charges, gratuities, drink prices, shore excursion prices, photo prices, specialty restaurant prices, etc. are all subject to change. If you prepay something your price will be locked in, but nothing you pay for while on board is. If port taxes were to increase they have the right to charge you for that too.

Edited by njhorseman

Seems like a blatant double dip.

Exactly the way I see it if this turns out to be as stated. GSC was marketed and sold as rewarding everyone that provides customer facing service to a cruiser (traditional tipping waiter, busboy, Matre D, cabin steward), including employees that you don't see and are working behind the scenes (supposedly laundry, cooks, chefs etc). Staff at the MDR and Specialty Restaurants of course were included in the simplified GSC.

We choose to dine almost exclusively at the PAY PER restaurants and those folks who served us were already getting tipped via the GSC. That is how it was explained and implemented, even though I still preferred the old way of tipping via rewarding service as it's delivered. In my opinion the original tipping worked better in terms of chances of receiving exceptional service versus the GSC which means employees can generally under-perform and still get rewarded. Now on top of that flawed service design (don't flame, I'm entitled to my opinion) they are instituting additional 18% tip for the specialty restaurant staff?

If true I hope who ever reads this at NCL Corporate takes heed and provides feedback because this change alone could make me spend my cruising $ elsewhere

Nothing but the basic cruise fare is locked in by the contract. Service charges, gratuities, drink prices, shore excursion prices, photo prices, specialty restaurant prices, etc. are all subject to change. If you prepay something your price will be locked in, but nothing you pay for while on board is. If port taxes were to increase they have the right to charge you for that too.

So if I didn't have the UDP and I prepaid for a specialty restaurant prior to boarding via MyNCL then I wouldn't be subjected to the 18% they're talking about now....but if I booked that cruise while onboard I would be?

Harriet

Starting to see more and more of this mucking about with gratuities on NCL, aren't we?

First the DSC increase, then (at the same time) the inexplicable (dare I say inexcusable) higher DSC for suite guests, and now this.

The "DSC Adjuster's" campaign is starting to carry a tad more validity...

Starting to see more and more of this mucking about with gratuities on NCL, aren't we?

First the DSC increase, then (at the same time) the inexplicable (dare I say inexcusable) higher DSC for suite guests, and now this.

Someone said they wanted to get $50.00 more from every passenger, if I remember correctly.

Harriet

In the past several weeks, NCL workers have (supposedly) received the following:

. 8% increase in DSC;

. 20% increase (from 15 to 18 percent) in auto-gratuities for bar service;

. an unknown total increase on bar gratuities (even before the 3% jump) due to many more passengers having UBP due to the Choice promo -- the expectation being that NCL is going to pay workers the auto-gratuities on these otherwise "free" beverages; and finally

. 18% on cost of specialty dining (not an increase, because till now there wasn't an expectation of gratuity for specialty dining, as it had been covered by DSC).

Who here really believes that ALL this extra moolah is going find its way into workers' pockets rather than NCL's bottom line?

Could some be confusing the 18% that is added on for their drinks if they don't have the UBP....thinking it's for the meal?

Harriet

That's exactly what I'm wondering.

I gotta think the 18% refers to any beverages purchased...can the OP confirm the amount of the gratuity and the amount of the overall bill? that would help clarify...
That's what I'm waiting to see, just in case.

I'm not getting worked up on this until I can see a legit picture of a receipt from a specialty restaurant showing the auto-gratuity added to the cover charge or I experience it myself. So far we have ONE report of this and I'm not entirely sure they aren't mistaken.

Anyone currently on a cruise who wants to take a pic of their receipt in a specialty restaurant please post one :)

Edited by cliffd64

If you look at the statement NCL made in reference to justification for the increase in DSC for suites as being in part to cover the services of butler and concierge, two people who were always very clearly NOT part of the DSC pool and were tipped at the discretion of the cruiser, it implies that they are NOW part of that DSC pool.

And NCL was always very clear that no tipping was necessary for wait staff who were included in the DSC except at the discretion of the cruiser for services over and above. Now, this 18% added implies that these wait staff are NOT in the DSC pool.

A little clarity would be nice.

Maybe not "inexplicable" if if the butler and concierge positions have been added to to the DSC pool for suites. And, perhaps the specialty wait staff have been removed from the DSC, thus the 18% gratuity.

Edited by punkincc

I'm not getting worked up on this until I can see a legit picture of a receipt from a specialty restaurant showing the auto-gratuity added to the cover charge or I experience it myself. So far we have ONE report of this and I'm not entirely sure they aren't mistaken.

Anyone currently on a cruise who wants to take a pic of their receipt in a specialty restaurant please post one :)

But then why would the UK site say there is an added 18% gratuity for the UDP?

http://www.ncl.co.uk/already-booked/gifts-and-more/#ultimate-dining

Dining packages are non-refundable and must be purchased for the whole cruise. It can be purchased for children 13 years of age and older and adults.

Please note that we charge 18$ gratuity and on cruises from/to Spain and Italy we are required to charge an additional VAT.

For guests that are Platinum Latitude Members there will be a discount of $20.00 off standard Ultimate Dining Package.

Harriet

If you look at the statement NCL made in reference to justification for the increase in DSC for suites as being in part to cover the services of butler and concierge, two people who were always very clearly NOT part of the DSC pool and were tipped at the discretion of the cruiser, it implies that they are NOW part of that DSC pool.

And NCL was always very clear that no tipping was necessary for wait staff who were included in the DSC except at the discretion of the cruiser for services over and above. Now, this 18% added implies that these wait staff are NOT in the DSC pool.

A little clarity would be nice.

Very confusing because the DSC does not cover the butler and concierge and the wait staff who serve the specialty restaurants are the same wait staff that serve in the MDR's as they just rotate.

Harriet