Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

I don't think that by removing or reducing the DSC, NCL will get your message. I know it would be embarrassing for some (but if you truly disagree with this, you should man up) to do this in plain sight of the server who treated you great during your meal at a specialty restaurant, but the way to let them know that you disagree with the 18 percent gratuity, is to have it removed at the restaurant. By removing it at the restaurant it makes a statement, but by just reducing your DSC, even if you tell them why (I doubt they would believe it), they would just think you don't want to pay the DSC, like some already do.

I don't think that by removing or reducing the DSC, NCL will get your message. I know it would be embarrassing for some (but if you truly disagree with this, you should man up) to do this in plain sight of the server who treated you great during your meal at a specialty restaurant, but the way to let them know that you disagree with the 18 percent gratuity, is to have it removed at the restaurant. By removing it at the restaurant it makes a statement, but by just reducing your DSC, even if you tell them why (I doubt they would believe it), they would just think you don't want to pay the DSC, like some already do.

While on vacation I want to spend as little time as possible dealing with this kind of crap. The choice is either talk to a manager each night and argue to get the fee removed, or go one time at the end of the trip and remove the total amount double paid in tips from the DSC. Also if you eat in a Specialty more ten once and they have seen you remove the tip before there is no telling what the level of service you will get or what they will do to your food. I for one will handle this at the DSC level to prevent any backlash on the trip from employees that really should be upset with NCL for a bad policy.

6&8

While on vacation I want to spend as little time as possible dealing with this kind of crap. The choice is either talk to a manager each night and argue to get the fee removed, or go one time at the end of the trip and remove the total amount double paid in tips from the DSC. Also if you eat in a Specialty more ten once and they have seen you remove the tip before there is no telling what the level of service you will get or what they will do to your food. I for one will handle this at the DSC level to prevent any backlash on the trip from employees that really should be upset with NCL for a bad policy.

6&8

Wouldn't take any time. You either tell the Manager when you arrive or just zero it out on your slip.

Oh, I get it, you don't want the server to know that you are removing their tips. Okay, got it now, that is the real reason....yes, it would be embarrassing.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If they take a bit extra from me at one place and add to the pool and I remove the same amount from else where and remove it from the pool the pool is at the same level and I have not hurt anyone.
We were not talking about paying the 18% at a specialty restaurant, then taking the same amount out of the DSC. We were talking about removing the DSC entirely as a gesture of protest.

In the end it is NCL that is responsible for the welfare of their employees, and NOT me. Dont hold the "welfare of the employees" over my head to get me to eat a crap sandwich.

Unfortunately, they make you responsible for the welfare of the employees by setting the DSC apart as a discretionary charge, and you agree to this responsibility by booking the cruise and signing the cruise contract. No matter what you do (leave it in place, adjust it, remove it) you are exercising this responsibilty.

:rolleyes: Your inability to grasp the metaphor is almost comical. There is no third option...there actually can't be a third option. You are either there (Option 1) or you are not there (Option 2).

The point is that if you choose Option 2, then someone else can come in and take your place and possibly spend even more than you would have resulting in your point falling of deaf ears.

However, choosing Option 1, where you have control and can decidedly reduce the onboard spending that they count on will send a clear unmistakeable message. And as long as you are taking up a spot, there is NO WAY that someone else can sail in your place.

And I guess you miss the point that Hawkieyeis sum up in his McDonald analogy - Why am I going to still eat AND pay (which is what the cruise fare basically is) at McDonald's (NCL) while complaining about the double dipping / chicken issue when Burger King, KFC, Wendy, etc (other cruise lines not affiliated with NCL) are not having the double dipping / whatever issue MCDonald's is having? AKA as option 3, voting with my wallet by not putting up with it - you don't have to follow me but I definitely not going to follow you because life is too short to be bitter on vacation especially when I paid for it with MY money.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't take any time. You either tell the Manager when you arrive or just zero it out on your slip.

Oh, I get it, you don't want the server to know that you are removing their tips. Okay, got it now, that is the real reason....yes, it would be embarrassing.

Such a BS response. I am glad you are happy to be ripped off and double charged for something. Some of us are not as foolish. You clearly didnt read anything I wrote. I HAVE ALREADY TIPPED IN THE DSC. If they want to take it on the bill that is fine, but I will not be double billed. Your mindless attempts to shame me for not being a fool are laughable.

6&8

We were not talking about paying the 18% at a specialty restaurant, then taking the same amount out of the DSC. We were talking about removing the DSC entirely as a gesture of protest.

Unfortunately, they make you responsible for the welfare of the employees by setting the DSC apart as a discretionary charge, and you agree to this responsibility by booking the cruise and signing the cruise contract. No matter what you do (leave it in place, adjust it, remove it) you are exercising this responsibilty.

See what happens when you ASS U ME things? At no point did I EVER say I was removing all the DSC. So this comment is silly. Also I did agree to pay the DSC when I booked. At no point did I agree to pay an additional 18% for the same service. I have no additional responsibility to the crew on top of the DSC.

6&8

Such a BS response. I am glad you are happy to be ripped off and double charged for something. Some of us are not as foolish. You clearly didnt read anything I wrote. I HAVE ALREADY TIPPED IN THE DSC. If they want to take it on the bill that is fine, but I will not be double billed. Your mindless attempts to shame me for not being a fool are laughable.

6&8

I'm guessing the OP is employed by NCL on some level. Most of us here are defenders of NCL, and most of us are outraged by this. Either this poster is just a blind sheep, or employed in some capacity. I can only roll my eyes at the drivel, and move on ;)

I will not be double billed either, and have no qualms with removing the 18% charge, if I were to continue to dine in the specialties. I won't, so it's a moot point .. but definitely nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'm guessing the OP is employed by NCL on some level. Most of us here are defenders of NCL, and most of us are outraged by this. Either this poster is just a blind sheep, or employed in some capacity. I can only roll my eyes at the drivel, and move on ;)

I will not be double billed either, and have no qualms with removing the 18% charge, if I were to continue to dine in the specialties. I won't, so it's a moot point .. but definitely nothing to be embarrassed about.

I have to agree with you. Said poster is in both threads defending this policy tooth and nail. Clearly employed by NCL in some fashion...

6&8

See what happens when you ASS U ME things? At no point did I EVER say I was removing all the DSC. So this comment is silly.
I didn't say you were doing anything. We were not talking about you. You jumped into an exchange I was having with another poster about removing the DSC, by saying "Removing the DSC hurts NCL as well." Evidently, at that point in the conversation you understood that we were talking about the idea of removing the DSC to send a message to NCL.

6&8

SINCE NO ONE KNOWS IF THE SPECIALTY RESTAURANT SERVERS WHERE EVER, WERE PARTIALLY INVOLVED OR STILL ARE PART OF THE DSC, I WILL WAIT FOR THE FACTS BEFORE TELLING PEOPLE THINGS THAT MIGHT NOT BE TRUE.

Not trying to shame anyone, but I feel that if one is so upset over this policy, it is best to discuss it and have the gratuity removed in the restaurant...that would make a bigger statement, now wouldn't it.

Or simply not cruising with them at all makes the point even more clearer. This year its a bit late to for me to switch cruise lines due to prices being high for 2 week long iternaries in November but next year I might go Royal / Celebrity from NJ or cruise Carnival from Miami since those lines haven't double dipped with their specialty restaurants yet. NCL lost is the other cruise lines gain...

Royal plays similar games it's just with the cruise fares instead of DSC.

I cancelled our RCI cruise for next month and went to Princess.

Bill

Can't defend that especially with the wording of DSC stating all waitstaff (complimentary and specialty) are cover plus sometimes the complimentary works the paid venues and vice versa. Either the waitstaff stays in their respective areas and specialty staff get paid the 18% like bar staff are as well as remove from the DSC. Or remove the automatic 18% or make it suggestive since it just started and let the customers decide if the service deserve additional tips especially when in some cases where it was clearly bad /poor. Because honestly, it is clear cut case of double dipping for nothing especially when your paying the DSC already - you go to a specialty restaurant and service was horrid, you're automatically charge 18% plus they're getting tip out from the DSC as well? Oh HECK double sticks NO!!

Oh please, I'm retired from the music industry (wish I were employeed by NCL and then maybe I would get some free cruises), I just think you are all getting worked up over something that you don't know the facts. I seriously can't believe how all of these loyal customers have defamed NCL on these threads without know what is really happening.

So you know 100 percent that the specialty restaurant servers are still included in the DSC (if they ever were)? Could you post your proof, because NCL has already told one poster they are not.

Good for you for sending a message by not eating in the specialty restaurants, that is what everyone who disagrees with this should do or have the gratuity removed at the restaurant.

BTW, I haven't called anyone that disagrees with me names nor have I said that any of them work for a competitor (you know that would be a great way to get new customers....didn't someone mentioned one line in particular hmmmm) or called anyone else's opinion drivel. But I can certainly start!

I have to agree with you. Said poster is in both threads defending this policy tooth and nail. Clearly employed by NCL in some fashion...

6&8

I have not defended the policy. I have said I have no issue with it and that no one know the facts, but all these loyal customers of NCL will vilify them before know 100 percent what is really happening. Do you know that the specialty restaurant servers are included in the DSC, before or since the change came into effect, if so, please show us some proof. Also, I now believe that some of the really disgruntled poster might be employed by a competitor of NCL....hasn't one cruise line been mentioned numerous times as the cruise line to go to????? Because would someone really be that upset about something that they have no idea what is really going on. And you haven't been on both threads complaining about it....hmmmmmm!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I have not defended the policy. I have said I have no issue with it and that no one know the facts, but all these loyal customers of NCL will vilify them before know 100 percent what is really happening. Do you know that the specialty restaurant servers are included in the DSC, before or since the change came into effect, if so, please show us some proof.

You know there's a problem when the proof paraders come out. It's really simple. You're pretty smart. I can't believe you're having this much trouble with the concept.

SINCE NO ONE KNOWS IF THE SPECIALTY RESTAURANT SERVERS WHERE EVER, WERE PARTIALLY INVOLVED OR STILL ARE PART OF THE DSC, I WILL WAIT FOR THE FACTS BEFORE TELLING PEOPLE THINGS THAT MIGHT NOT BE TRUE.

Uh, no.

In fact (and anybody who knows better is welcome to correct me) DSC was instituted PRECISELY because of Freestyle and the fact that the "old method" of tipping (envelopes on final evening) was completely impractical for Freestyle, when people could dine in a different venue every night.

Not trying to shame anyone, but I feel that if one is so upset over this policy, it is best to discuss it and have the gratuity removed in the restaurant...that would make a bigger statement, now wouldn't it.

When I was on the Star last year I spoke about the DSC to my server at breakfast one day in Cagney's. She told me she is a part of the DSC and that she's assigned to a specialty restaurant for a specific amount of weeks then goes back to the MDR. For this period that I spoke with her she was assigned to Cagney's for breakfast, lunch, and at dinner.

On my Sun cruise in February we weren't in a suite. I spoke to my server one night at LeBistro. He said that he's been assigned to work at LeBistro for a specific amount of time in the evenings and during the days he goes where his schedule tells him to go, be it the MDR, Buffet, or the 24 hour restaurant. He, also, stated that he was a part of the DSC pool.

I can only go on what I was told.

Harriet

Oh please, I'm retired from the music industry (wish I were employeed by NCL and then maybe I would get some free cruises), I just think you are all getting worked up over something that you don't know the facts. I seriously can't believe how all of these loyal customers have defamed NCL on these threads without know what is really happening.

So you know 100 percent that the specialty restaurant servers are still included in the DSC (if they ever were)? Could you post your proof, because NCL has already told one poster they are not.

Good for you for sending a message by not eating in the specialty restaurants, that is what everyone who disagrees with this should do or have the gratuity removed at the restaurant.

BTW, I haven't called anyone that disagrees with me names nor have I said that any of them work for a competitor (you know that would be a great way to get new customers....didn't someone mentioned one line in particular hmmmm) or called anyone else's opinion drivel. But I can certainly start!

I wasn't calling you a name, and definitely wasn't trying to offend you. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Someone else had posted here that the wait staff are part of the DSC. I don't think that was ever in question. What I asked previously, and NCL has not answered, was - has the wait staff in the specialty restaurants been removed from the DSC pool? and if so, is that the only place they are working now? If not, then "we" are tipping twice, and it's not right. Most people here do tip extra, or at least, they say they do ... but for NCL to mandate this just does not sit right with me at all.

Edited by SissasMomE

I didn't say you were doing anything. We were not talking about you. You jumped into an exchange I was having with another poster about removing the DSC, by saying "Removing the DSC hurts NCL as well." Evidently, at that point in the conversation you understood that we were talking about the idea of removing the DSC to send a message to NCL.

You quoted my comment. So your response was to ME.

6&8

The double dip is a thorn for the principle - I wonder if NCL will let us know how much of the DSC is allocated for dinner service gratuity in the MDR so that we can have that portion removed from the DSC if we have paid for the UDP?

I really think the only one losing in all this will be the servers. In the past, we would leave $20 a dinner. now that I know I will be charged 18% when I buy the UDP in addition to the DSC we will no longer be leaving any cash tips. So in actuality we will probably come out ahead.

Edited by ravenjls
spelling

Another possible reason for NCL limited response is the number of terminations yesterday and today within the shore staff. PR department was hit hard!

Link to NCL Layoffs: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-trims-shoreside-workforce.html

Edited by ltjn

You know there's a problem when the proof paraders come out. It's really simple. You're pretty smart. I can't believe you're having this much trouble with the concept.
I'm really smart and that is why I don't condemn a company before I have the facts.

If someone will show me proof (which I have asked for over and over again) of all the defaming things they are saying about NCL (taking this money to their bottom line, not giving it all to their employees, etc.), I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

As of now, no one has any proof or knowledge of what is going on.