Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

Rather than posting a million different ideas, can we, as a community, come up with something conclusive that we can do right now to let NCL know that we are not happy with this and that are planning on adjusting our onboard spending.

Edited by jmele999

Maybe there won't be such a backlash against people who sneak on booze now :D

In all seriousness, I have only done 6 cruises - all with NCL, but this may be the incentive to try another line for me as well.

Trust me, they will now. Companies analyze their data six ways to Sunday anymore. They'll quickly notice the correlation between cause and effect.

A boycott is one thing, but a campaign of shock and awe is something alltogether different. That is why the former is far less likely to succeed than the latter.

Not really. Not sailing with them at all allows them the opportunity to replace you with someone else.

The cruise lines rely on additional onboard spending to make their money. Your point is much better made by being onboard and spending LESS. If people just enjoyed the included amenities and spent nothing onboard, the cruise lines would quickly go bankrupt...onboard spending is the heart and soul of the beast...and the best tool we have for getting their attention.

Then let them replace me with someone who not going to pay since I was obviously going to pay for at least 3 specialty restaurants until they got underhanded with the 'tips'. No skin off my nose, I can simply sail with another line - Yes, they'll charge me more due to me being a solo traveler but at least they're not double dipping me when I'm paying the DSC and eating at paid place. It matter of principle to me and NCL is making me rethinking about sailing with them since what was the point of paying the DSC, especially when MDR staff usually helps out at specialty restaurants and vice versa.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Since I don't think there's much (if ANY) relationship between customer service and compensation under DSC (obviously the bulk of these recent "gratuity" increases are going straight into NCL's corporate coffers, NOT workers' pay checks)

Could you please post the proof that this is indeed happening. Edited by NLH Arizona

Just curious, but for everyone asking NCL to confirm if the waiters in specialty restaurants are included in the DSC, would you believe NCL with their answer? I wouldn't after how underhanded they have been, I think if they ever do answer that question they will lie and say "no", even though we know that's not the case, for as long as I can remember I've always been told they were included.

What about cruisers, such as myself that never dine in a MDR? I dine for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a specialty restaurant, sine I cruise in a suite, rightfully those cruisers shouldn't have to pay the $14.95 a day since we are now being charged 18 percent in specialty restaurants on top of the $14.95!!.

I think the next step will be gratuities will be mandatory and won't be allowed to be removed, as several people have suggested.

But thanks so much for looking out for your cruisers NCL, I appreciate the convenience . how about next time you come up with a convenience that would actually benefit your cruisers and not your pockets.

Edited by Jennyyl

. I may be wrong, but it seems to me if you're in a land restaurant with a party of 8, and the menu includes language like "an 18 percent gratuity will be added to all parties of 8 and up," you are stuck paying it.

Not true....at least in the restaurant I used to manage. If the customer had a complaint with service we would remove the auto gratuity.

Harriet

Just curious, but for everyone asking NCL to confirm if the waiters in specialty restaurants are included in the DSC, would you believe NCL with their answer? I wouldn't after how underhanded they have been, I think if they ever do answer that question they will lie and say "no", even though we know that's not the case, for as long as I can remember I've always been told they were included.

What about cruisers, such as myself that never dine in a MDR? I dine for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a specialty restaurant, sine I cruise in a suite, rightfully those cruisers shouldn't have to pay the $12 a day since we are now being charged 18 percent in specialty restaurants on top of the $12!!.

I think the next step will be gratuities will be mandatory and won't be allowed to be removed, as several people have suggested.

But thanks so much for looking out for your cruisers NCL, I appreciate the convenience . how about next time you come up with a convenience that would actually benefit your cruisers and not your pockets.

I'm not so sure they would open themselves up to a lawsuit like that by lying in writing on a public message board.

Then let them replace me with someone who not going to pay since I was obviously going to pay for at least 3 specialty restaurants until they got underhanded with the 'tips'. No skin off my nose, I can simply sail with another line - Yes, they'll charge me more due to me being a solo traveler but at least they're not double dipping me when I'm paying the DSC and eating at paid place. It matter of principle to me and NCL is making me rethinking about sailing with them since what was the point of paying the DSC, especially when MDR staff usually helps out at specialty restaurants and vice versa.

Still, IMHO, you'd simply be wasting your voice. They can't "hear" you if you aren't there. Staying away never gets your point across because they can't tell if you're making a point or if you just so happen to be away at that time.

Look at it another way...Which makes a bigger impression on you: the 10 people standing in your way making the line go slow, or the 10 people who aren't even there?

I'm not so sure they would open themselves up to a lawsuit like that by lying in writing on a public message board.

But they already did but saying it was March 20(Friday) when it was actually March 15 that the policy took effect since the OP 1st reported like Monday or Tuesday on the Breakaway which sail away port date are usually Sundays (March 15,2015 was a Sunday). To say NCL screwed up all around is an understatement.

I'm leaving in 16 days for my fifth NCL cruise. I wish I had not prepaid my DSC now. We had planned on eating in Cagney's at least once. With a family of 4 I really resent being given the "convenience" of having 18% added to my bill. On our last cruise, my husband was not happy with his Filet and we did not say anything. You can rest assured that meal better be perfect and with perfect service. Or I might not go at all. I was thinking about buying the UBP but now I really don't want to fork over all that money to NCL. I agree that cutting out onboard spending will hurt NCL the most. I wonder if you can even adjust the DSC if you have already paid it? I have never even considered adjusting it before.

Adjusting DSC (to zero, if you wish) is also a pretty good way to get NCL's attention. If they ask why, tell them you don't like the high-handed and opaque way they've dealt with these price increases. Miami will get the word.

Since I don't think there's much (if ANY) relationship between customer service and compensation under DSC (obviously the bulk of these recent "gratuity" increases are going straight into NCL's corporate coffers, NOT workers' pay checks), I won't feel bad in the slightest about "stiffing" workers. NCL set up the system, and wrote the Contract. They have only themselves to blame.

I agree with you that this is a good way to get NCL's attention, better than what other people have been suggesting. You could also simply write a complaint letter, but if you want to talk with your wallet, removing the DSC in protest will definitely be noticed more than quietly spending less elsewhere on board (and degrading your own cruise experience in the process).

However, it is not obvious to me at all that the DSC and auto-tips are not paid to the workers. I don't have absolute proof either way, but I don't think NCL is an evil company, and I don't think the workers are helpless slaves with no protection. So I think removing the DSC does adversely affect the workers (who are not at fault here), and I would certainly feel bad about it and I wouldn't actually do it. But again, I have to recognize that it is an effective protest measure, and it may be a good option for those who are OK with hurting the workers to send a message to their employer.

maybe that's just why they aren't answering that question which I've seen asked on here several times as well as their Facebook, silence speaks volumes.

I agree with you that this is a good way to get NCL's attention, better than what other people have been suggesting. You could also simply write a complaint letter, but if you want to talk with your wallet, removing the DSC in protest will definitely be noticed more than quietly spending less elsewhere on board (and degrading your own cruise experience in the process).

However, it is not obvious to me at all that the DSC and auto-tips are not paid to the workers. I don't have absolute proof either way, but I don't think NCL is an evil company, and I don't think the workers are helpless slaves with no protection. So I think removing the DSC does adversely affect the workers (who are not at fault here), and I would certainly feel bad about it and I wouldn't actually do it. But again, I have to recognize that it is an effective protest measure, and it may be a good option for those who are OK with hurting the workers to send a message to their employer.

While I dont have any proof I have almost no doubt that NCL takes a rake of the pool for an "administrative fee." If they didnt then being transparent about the distribution would not be a problem.

Removing the DSC hurts NCL as well. Think of it in these terms (Hypothetical). If you disagreed with the way McDonalds treated chickens, and boycotted McDonalds and they lost enough business because of this that they have to close a store or two you are "hurting" the workers far more then the corporation but in the end the point was made. That is no different here. Allowing NCL to raise these rates and then hold the welfare of the crew over us as a way to prevent backlash is a very underhanded thing to do. I will not be held hostage by a company trying to increase their bottom line.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

I was told by the waitstaff in the specialty that the cash tips handed to them must be put into the pool. They said that if you are caught pocketing the cash tips you get in trouble.

6&8

We were told the same thing too---must hand in all tips

Now they double dipping

Also remember you are paying for a meal with your base cruise fare. When you go to a speciality restaurant, they do not credit you for that meal... so you are technically paying a fee PLUS the speciality restaurant fee.

We don't mind tipping... the staff works so hard, and there are so many staff members that we do not see, that are doing imperative jobs. I do not tip the person who cleaned the bathroom before I used it (I do not see them), but I am very appreciative of their very important job. We just do not like the underhanded way NCL is going about obtaining extra money.

From now on we will use the 2 platinum vouchers and the dinner from CAS(hopefully that will continue) and have the rest of our meals in the MDR, OSheehans or buffet.

Safe sailing

Still, IMHO, you'd simply be wasting your voice. They can't "hear" you if you aren't there. Staying away never gets your point across because they can't tell if you're making a point or if you just so happen to be away at that time.

Look at it another way...Which makes a bigger impression on you: the 10 people standing in your way making the line go slow, or the 10 people who aren't even there?

Or, I take the third option and be at neither location but go else. And when I finally decide to cancel my current reservation with NCL, I will gladly tell them the reason why. No offense, they can have neither of my money - DSC, shore excursion, drinks, specialty dining, trinket shopping, AND cruise fare. Everybody else can boycott the stupidity by sailing on NCL ships and I will boycott via going on a different cruise line's ship. I vote with my wallet by not stressing out and thumbing my nose by not using the company that is ripping me off.

I'm leaving in 16 days for my fifth NCL cruise. I wish I had not prepaid my DSC now. We had planned on eating in Cagney's at least once. With a family of 4 I really resent being given the "convenience" of having 18% added to my bill. On our last cruise, my husband was not happy with his Filet and we did not say anything. You can rest assured that meal better be perfect and with perfect service. Or I might not go at all. I was thinking about buying the UBP but now I really don't want to fork over all that money to NCL. I agree that cutting out onboard spending will hurt NCL the most. I wonder if you can even adjust the DSC if you have already paid it? I have never even considered adjusting it before.

You can call and cancel your prepaid DSC now before your cruise. Just call NCL and ask to have it done.

Removing the DSC hurts NCL as well. Think of it in these terms (Hypothetical). If you disagreed with the way McDonalds treated chickens, and boycotted McDonalds and they lost enough business because of this that they have to close a store or two you are "hurting" the workers far more then the corporation but in the end the point was made. That is no different here. Allowing NCL to raise these rates and then hold the welfare of the crew over us as a way to prevent backlash is a very underhanded thing to do. I will not be held hostage by a company trying to increase their bottom line.

And I find it completely normal for a company to try to increase its bottom line.

Removing the DSC is not the same as boycotting McDonald's. If you want to cancel all your cruises and boycott NCL altogether, that is one thing. Removing the DSC is like continuing to go to McDonald's and eating the abused chicken meat and paying for it, and then going into the locker room in the back and taking $1 out of every employee's pocketbook. Then you write to the CEO of McDonald's saying "Until you start treating your chickens better, I will continue to take $1 from every employee every time I go to your restaurant and pay for a meal, which I do very often."

And I find it completely normal for a company to try to increase its bottom line.

Removing the DSC is not the same as boycotting McDonald's. If you want to cancel all your cruises and boycott NCL altogether, that is one thing. Removing the DSC is like continuing to go to McDonald's and eating the abused chicken meat and paying for it, and then going into the locker room in the back and taking $1 out of every employee's pocketbook. Then you write to the CEO of McDonald's saying "Until you start treating your chickens better, I will continue to take $1 from every employee every time I go to your restaurant and pay for a meal, which I do very often."

Clearly you did not follow the logic of them closing a store and therefor putting people out of jobs....and clearly you are not getting the point that the cash tips before, and most probably the tips generated here are all going to the pool.

If they take a bit extra from me at one place and add to the pool and I remove the same amount from else where and remove it from the pool the pool is at the same level and I have not hurt anyone.

In the end it is NCL that is responsible for the welfare of their employees, and NOT me. Dont hold the "welfare of the employees" over my head to get me to eat a crap sandwich.

6&8

Exactly, perfect analogy - Why would anyone continue cruising with a company that is doing that when it clearly smarter to go esle where. Unfortunate for the people that 90 days within their sail date but good thing for people with sail dates that are months away to rethink if they want use NCL or not.

Edit: They could had raise the DSC to $20, and/or raise the fare $5-100 with no one batting a eye. But tackling 18% automatic tip at the same time they claim the waitstaff (both complimentary and specialty) are paid from the same DSC and of course there's going to be problems. Either the specialty waitstaff is remove from the DSC pool completely to justify the 18% just like bar staff are, or expect people not sail with NCL. They need to clear that up ASAP.

Edited by maywell

Or, I take the third option and be at neither location but go else. And when I finally decide to cancel my current reservation with NCL, I will gladly tell them the reason why. No offense, they can have neither of my money - DSC, shore excursion, drinks, specialty dining, trinket shopping, AND cruise fare. Everybody else can boycott the stupidity by sailing on NCL ships and I will boycott via going on a different cruise line's ship. I vote with my wallet by not stressing out and thumbing my nose by not using the company that is ripping me off.

:rolleyes: Your inability to grasp the metaphor is almost comical. There is no third option...there actually can't be a third option. You are either there (Option 1) or you are not there (Option 2).

The point is that if you choose Option 2, then someone else can come in and take your place and possibly spend even more than you would have resulting in your point falling of deaf ears.

However, choosing Option 1, where you have control and can decidedly reduce the onboard spending that they count on will send a clear unmistakeable message. And as long as you are taking up a spot, there is NO WAY that someone else can sail in your place.

I don't know if you can adjust the DSC once it's pre-paid. I'd think you could and they'd have to refund it to your CC. How long that would take....is another story.

Harriet

Here in the NY area, some restaurants do have a suggested gratuity amount, auto-calculated on the itemized "check" or bill, and presented for payment - cash or credit/debit card. Some have a set percent, i.e. 15% for buffet (used to 12% or 13%, trending higher) and upscale one might even go 20% - a few have 2 or even 3 amounts - 15%, 20% and others as a write-in ...

That line-item charge is sometimes "smartly" disguised (hidden in plain sight as "S.C." ... etc.) between sales tax and subtotal, and if you don't look or check it closely (or had a few drinks - #cough #cough UBP) - customers have been known to add another 15% or 20% on top of that as secondary "tips". Waiters/esses had been known to take both, but there are also those that tell the unsuspecting customers that "tips" has been included to avoid a 30% to 40% "surcharge. Usually/sometimes/always done for party or group of 6 or 8 or more, but uncommon for 2 or 3, or even 4 people dining out.

NCL, these are some of the variants in land-based restaurant practices in the U.S. and in case you haven't notice - planet earth is much bigger as there are non-US passengers on the ships. Your generic reply is pathetic, period.

-

Add the revised D.S.C. into all these just sink everything even lower into the sewer for NCL. The small but vocal CC membership here are not happy (some, but all ...) so I will just speak for ourselves, and our own families & friends that usually sail with us - I am reasonably assured NCL that the minority protests will be registered, one way or another - multiple ways, IMO.

But they already did but saying it was March 20(Friday) when it was actually March 15 that the policy took effect since the OP 1st reported like Monday or Tuesday on the Breakaway which sail away port date are usually Sundays (March 15,2015 was a Sunday). To say NCL screwed up all around is an understatement.

Yep, NCL reported today....the 20th. That's the day it changed on their website but NOT the day they started charging. Funny....NCL doesn't know when they started charging the 18% auto gratuity in specialty restaurants. I don't believe that for a moment......unless NCL is just stupid!

Harriet

I don't know if you can adjust the DSC once it's pre-paid. I'd think you could and they'd have to refund it to your CC. How long that would take....is another story.

Harriet

You cant adjust it on board after pre-paying you are correct, but they can still contact NCL and get the DSC pre-pay refunded and then make a choice on the boat.

6&8