Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

The terms of the UDP have been updated on the US site now (Dining Terms & Conditions):

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3 day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required however table availability will be guaranteed for UDP guests with 24 hour advance reservations. An 18% gratuity will be added to the package purchase. A 20% Discount applies on a la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No Kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to Special Occasion Menus e.g. New Year¹s, Christmas, etc. Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney¹s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00. Spiegel tent/Illusionarium is standard seating (a $29.99 value) available on Day 1 only. Chef¹s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo¹s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It will be included in the UDP, however, it's not for the promo they have with the free UDP.

Harriet

Then you can choose to pay the 18 percent or not go to the specialty restaurants or as some have said they will do, deduct it from the DSC. So no one really has to pay this, if they disagree with the policy.

We on this forum know dsc is adjustable, many do not especially if they're first time cruisers. Companies like NCL rely on their consumers to be ignorant and/or complacent and hope they just pay it without knowing any better. I gave them the benefit of the doubt about dsc but this is pretty low. It's also sneaky the way they decided to implement this without formal announcement. Hard to justify this since they just increased the dsc. Their silence on social media speaks volumes of their intent. Is this from FDR or new ncl ceo Andy Stuart? Somehow I think Andy will get the axe when and if things don't go according to plan.

Let's see if NCL passengers are smart enough to push back by not dining at these restaurants or be the suckers every corporation looks for in their business in the name of profit.

I knew changes would come with new leadership but this is too much too fast. I am sure the bottom line will look great at least for the next 2 quarters. After that who knows, maybe the freestyle promo will need to be permanent to sustain current booking levels because I won't book without it unless it's super cheap. How a company does it's business also says a lot about how they treat their employees. Would anyone be surprised if they lost the good staff down the road? I already experience staff who are under trained and understaff but yet asked to pay more for their salary.

They way I look at it, if one doesn't like the policies and/or practices of a company, they can speak with their wallet and walk away and find another business to give their money to.

BTW, did two cruises last year (May and November) and the staff I encountered were fantastic; well trained and very pleasant to work with.

Suffice to say, the original matter in question has now been settled & factual as @ncl quietly revised its online website - so, we might or not get an email notification soon.

Thank you, pixiedustdawn for uploading the proof while cruising the GEM (also, out of NYC) for those in doubts - in putting a few more nails into the pine box :D

It's no longer a question of what & when, just how as it will continue to get rolled out to the rest of the NCL ships, just in time for Spring Break next week & thereafter. Waiting for someone else to say life isn't fair and nothing is guaranteed just because everything is paid for ... (see the micro-fine prints buried :rolleyes:)

Stocks - NCLH, it's up today again - but ... What's good for Wall Street is not always good for Main Street !! In fact, it's often trouble for Main Street America & elsewhere ... Time will tell.

Alas, this makes it a little easier for us sailing BA next week and I don't see getting straight answers from the senior officers on the ship anyway - still got questions of mine, for them to listen to & pass back to Miami HQ.

Suffice to say, the original matter in question has now been settled & factual as @ncl quietly revised its online website - so, we might or not get an email notification soon.
I doubt it. They don't send all booked passengers a heads-up every time they raise the price of something onboard. They just do it. The increase in DSC was different, because everyone gets charged the DSC.

They did not warn everyone about the new bar menus, or the increase in auto-tip percentage. When excursion prices go up, prices in the gift shops, spa services: no e-mail, no notification.

Of course I know that tipping has a special place in every CC member's heart and so this change to specialty dining is completely 100% fundamentally different from all the others. But NCL is apparently treating it as a run-of-the-mill price hike.

I am really missing Kevin Sheehan right about now.

Get in line! ;)

what is DSC? going on NCL first time. chose freebie of prepaid gratuities.

Daily Service Charge. (True meaning is perpetually in debate- especially now.)

God Bless FDR------NOT!!!:mad:

(I'm so glad I booked early at a great price without Freestyle (we'll sc_ew you however we can can) Choice.

There is a chance that the extra gratuities will actually go to the servers. It never really made sense to me that the explanation of DSC says it includes restaurant staff and the explanation of speciality dining specifically said that gratuities are not included. This led me to believe that they suggest an extra gratuity for speciality dining. They just never spelled it out for us.

When we sailed in the Haven we ate in Cagney's for breakfast, lunch and several dinners. Always had the same server and she was excellent. I just tipped her once at the end of the cruise like you do with the butler and concierege.

A few months later she was our server in the main dining room. She was a little bummed about rotating out of Cagney's. I think they send their better servers to Cagney's.

You never know but Perhaps people stopped tipping much with all the free UDP's and thinking that the DSC covers their gratuities and their best servers started complaining.

I saw the same servers in main dining room for lunch and perhaps le bistro or Italian restaurant for dinner and their service was not as good. Perhaps with the extra gratuities for speciality dining they are going to actually staff all speciality with their best servers and reward those that work speciality with extra tips. If the better servers get based in just a specific speciality restaurant and they rotate from one to the next they could actually get paid consistently higher portion of DSC and guarantee tips.

This explanation may not be accurate and only the staff know if they are getting raises but it makes sense to me and if service improves as a result and the tips go to the servers I'm fine with it.

Edited by littlelulu01

Here's the thing why I'm skeptical regarding the 18% - Are people who are saying that it being automatically tip for dinner didn't included a drink with that meal? Because if a paid drink was included with the dinner that explains why it automatically add and perhaps a bug in the system where it calculated everything together instead of just the drink alone. Or was no paid beverage added at all with the meal and it truly is case of NCL technically 'double-dipping ' for tips? That's why photo of a receipt showing one of the scenarios or daily showing the language that 18% is now included for specialty restaurants is extremely helpful to clear up any confusion.

Reason why I will never buy the UBP, I can't drink 6-8 soda or alcohol every day - rather drink water than shut down my pancreas that quickly like that. You can get another kidney or liver but pancreas affect by diabetes is a different story.....

You're saying there is a bug in the system or people aren't understanding it correctly.

Are the people who aren't understanding it correctly the people who print up the dailies as they are the ones who put it in there.

Oh wait you said you don't believe it was really in there since they didn't take a picture and post it.

Pretty elaborate scheme to get online during your cruise to make something up to get everybody in an uproar.

Well if the poster was pulling our chain he/she is having a good laugh right around now.

Bill

We on this forum know dsc is adjustable, many do not especially if they're first time cruisers. Companies like NCL rely on their consumers to be ignorant and/or complacent and hope they just pay it without knowing any better. I gave them the benefit of the doubt about dsc but this is pretty low. It's also sneaky the way they decided to implement this without formal announcement. Hard to justify this since they just increased the dsc. Their silence on social media speaks volumes of their intent. Is this from FDR or new ncl ceo Andy Stuart? Somehow I think Andy will get the axe when and if things don't go according to plan.

Let's see if NCL passengers are smart enough to push back by not dining at these restaurants or be the suckers every corporation looks for in their business in the name of profit.

I knew changes would come with new leadership but this is too much too fast. I am sure the bottom line will look great at least for the next 2 quarters. After that who knows, maybe the freestyle promo will need to be permanent to sustain current booking levels because I won't book without it unless it's super cheap. How a company does it's business also says a lot about how they treat their employees. Would anyone be surprised if they lost the good staff down the road? I already experience staff who are under trained and understaff but yet asked to pay more for their salary.

I think FDR thinks he is still running a luxury cruise line.:rolleyes:

Bill

You're saying there is a bug in the system or people aren't understanding it correctly.

Are the people who aren't understanding it correctly the people who print up the dailies as they are the ones who put it in there.

Oh wait you said you don't believe it was really in there since they didn't take a picture and post it.

Pretty elaborate scheme to get online during your cruise to make something up to get everybody in an uproar.

Well if the poster was pulling our chain he/she is having a good laugh right around now.

Bill

I'm confident the OP isn't pulling anyone's chain.

Off subject, but I love your tag quote. I've always said "I couldn't care less" and could never understand the original saying.

They have either raised the price of the UDP or already have added the tips in the package price. We are platinum and price was $99 earlier this evening,

Ultimate Dining Package

Norwegian's Ultimate Dining Package allows you to dine in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise all for one set price based on the number of days. Experience our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. Plus, enjoy 20% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue on Norwegian Getaway & Norwegian Breakaway and all a la carte priced restaurants. Each person in your reservation wishing to take advantage of the Ultimate Dining Package must be added to cart separately.

Read Terms & Conditions and FAQs.

When making dining reservations, the Ultimate Dining Package discount will be reflected in your cart.

Price: $116.82

They have either raised the price of the UDP or already have added the tips in the package price. We are platinum and price was $99 earlier this evening,

Price: $116.82

Please read this thread only couple of hours back - the charge has been confirmed with pictures from Gem and the website has been updated to say that also UDP purchases will be added 18% gratuity.

Off subject, but I love your tag quote. I've always said "I couldn't care less" and could never understand the original saying.

I know it wasn't a joke.:) I have been reading and following this thread since it started.:)

My line about the OP pulling our chain was for the conspiracy theorist on the thread.:p

I wish we weren't going with friends on the Getaway next February or I'd cancel just on principal.

To me it is very disingenuous to do this in a cloak of darkness.

I had a 10 day cruise on RCI for next month that we only paid $550 for with no airfare since we can drive to Baltimore.

I got tired of their pricing games as well with their BOGO half off sail that has been going on for 10 months.

Switched to Princess and are paying about the same for the cruise but now are only on a 7 day cruise and had to buy air and a hotel.

I may run out of cruise lines shortly and have to look at a different kind of vacation.

Bill

Trust me, Bill, we're all in/on the same boat. (Sorry, but I'm on a roll now.) :D

~~~It's a true cat and mouse game.

~~~ Catch as catch can.

~~~Get while the getting is good.

~~~Give it your all.

~~~Give what you got.

~~~Instant karma's gonna get you.

~~~Get me until/unless I get you first.

~~~Gotcha!

Anymore?

I have already prepaid my dining reservations for my upcoming cruise on the getaway..if mr del rio thinks that he can charge me more 18% for the specialty restaurants then i will make sure i am going to adjust my dsc since i dont like double tipping.on the other hand with all these changes i dont trust ncl that dsc money goes actually to the staff..maybe i have to remove them completely this time and tip as i want..mr del rio ncl is your company but the money and the vacation is mine and i can do whatever i want to do with my money

Bill

Guess you didn't bother to read what I said after the picture was shown, since I was the one that even bother to even ask. Since it one thing to say something on the internet, its a complete different story when there' s photograph to back it all the talk especially to complete strangers. Trust me, alot people say one thing in these forums and then the real truth comes out in and in situation like this where only one person is says something out of like 3k passengers - a pic would end any speculation that its true or not.

As to why the $18%; to make it super easy for you Bill since didn't bother to read what I wrote after and for everyone else some context regarding the '$4', here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-27/norwegian-needs-you-to-spend-just-4-more-per-day-on-your-cruise

A few weeks ago on Getaway we ate at Cagneys. We tipped 20% of the bill. We had great service. So some may say this is not a big deal. It may be a first world problem but it is about the principle. I always bring lots of cash on a cruise for tips. But if NCL wants to triple dip gratuity for a meal at the specialty restaurants I would not leave a dime. NCL already charges daily auto gratuity for restaurants and house cleaning. So now you will also pay 18% on top of the auto-daily gratuity, plus the gratuity on a coke or drink you get with dinner. Talk about over kill :eek: And how do you know if any of this goes to the workers. Just increase the cruise fare $5 to get your maximum profit. These endless additional fees are getting ridiculous.

Edited by david_sobe

A few weeks ago on Getaway we ate at Cagneys. We tipped 20% of the bill. We had great service. So some may say this is not a big deal. It may be a first world problem but it is about the principle. I always bring lots of cash on a cruise for tips. But if NCL wants to triple dip gratuity for a meal at the specialty restaurants I would not leave a dime. NCL already charges daily auto gratuity for restaurants and house cleaning. So now you will also pay 18% on top of the auto-daily gratuity, plus the gratuity on a coke or drink you get with dinner. Talk about over kill :eek: And how do you know if any of this goes to the workers. Just increase the cruise fare $5 to get your maximum profit. These endless additional fees are getting ridiculous.

You're right - They could had increased the base fare to $5 per day and no one would had bat an eye.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Not sure if anyone posted about this (don't want to use all my mb searching) but we are currently on the BA and I noticed in the Freestyle in very small print that they are automatically adding an 18% gratuity charge to the cover charge for all specialty restaurants. I had not seen any mention of this on cc before I sailed so thought maybe it was a mistake but last night I met a gentlement who ate at LeBistro and they charged him for the gratuities and he was not happy. He spoke to maitre d who confirmed it is listed in the Freestyle, but yes was in very small print. NCL website makes no mention of it on the UDP purchase so I guess if you have the dining plan no additional 18% (yet, lol). Not sure if their website has this new charge in the faq for specialty dining.

And just an update, reservations for all free shows, with the exception of Second City, are not being utilized you just show up.

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.