Back to Non HAL After HAL

qsuzi

I was on RCI Navigator of the seas in the med and Carnival Ecstasy from Galveston

We also love the promenade cafe, promenade, and entertainment on the Voyager class ships. To us RCI has a great loyalty program. For example, as Diamond we get $225 off the balcony price, free drinks in the Diamond lounge each evening, etc. RCI has won the Travel Weekly Reader's Choice Awards "Best Cruise Line Overall" 12 Years in a row.

Edited by qsuzi

#4 -NCL This was strange in some ways as we have been on more cruises with NCL as of 2 weeks time than any of the others and even though it is fourth doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. NCL Getaway is in 2 weeks and this will be the largest ship we have sailed on which will be interesting. NCL is much more relaxed. I haven't always enjoyed the layout of the ships. Usually easy to dine without a line except the first night which always seems to be horrendous! We are getting around that this time by rebooked a speciality restaurant. Entertainment is usually pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying the newer ship as the Dawn and the Jade were a little dated.

Rutheth, please do come back and tell us how you feel about the Getaway, how compare to NCL Jewel/Dawn class of ships, and HAL. Thanks.

Rutheth, please do come back and tell us how you feel about the Getaway, how compare to NCL Jewel/Dawn class of ships, and HAL. Thanks.

That's something I'm also interested in. My Dawn cruise experience was the closest I ever came to forever swearing off a cruise line.

Here is our favorites:

1. HAL

2. NCL

3. Celebrity

4. Royal Caribbean

Our first Princess cruise is in 2 weeks so will see where they end up in our list.

Have cruised on Carnival before but never again.

What are some of the things you like on NCL and why is HAL #1 vs NCL #2? Like any cruise line Princess has it's pro's and con's. Really hope you enjoy Princess and find more to like than dislike. What Princess ship will you be going on? You sure will miss any perks you have on other cruise lines but for us change and exploring has benefits too.

Edited by qsuzi

What are some of the things you like on NCL and why is HAL #1 vs NCL #2? Like any cruise line Princess has it's pro's and con's. Really hope you enjoy Princess and find more to like than dislike. What Princess ship will you be going on? You sure will miss any perks you have on other cruise lines but for us change and exploring has benefits too.

We started cruising in the early 90's (on the old Sunward). Did our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam in 2004 in a suite, and became spoiled. Have cruised in suites ever since. We enjoy the overall experience on HAL (Neptune Lounge, breakfast in the Pinnacle, ship decor, staff, etc.) that is why it is our #1, but have to say that the overall suite perks on NCL are better. Not a big fan of some things (like the entire "freestyle" thing with dining and the layout of some ships) but it is still our #2 based on the suite amenities.

Celebrity was also very close, but we had a terrible butler on our last X cruise so we were a little soured on the experience. Have not done a Royal Caribbean in the past few years but the cruises we did take were very nice. Have not done a cruise on their "mega-ships" and don't think that we will (not a fan of huge crowds). Our last Carnival cruise was about 5 years ago, and never again.

Will be on the Star Princess in April and are looking forward to it. We have family and friends who love Princess and we think we will like it as well.

We started cruising in 1989 on the old Rotterdam IV and over the years reached 161 days after our Westerdam in 2008. Over the years we added a dozen Princess cruises, (non in a decade) and ten Royal cruises including Oasis and Allure, and one NCL: the Dream.

However since the mid nineties we have cruised a lot on Celebrity.

For the nostalgia bugs, here is a shot of the former Noordam in St Maarten last month:

IMG_3083_zpsxxcr4e3d.jpg

Here are a few shots of Reflection, Celebrity's news ship (2012)

IMG_3733_zpsworx0k7a.jpg

IMG_3984_zpskintmhqt.jpg

IMG_3757_zpscdwxotaw.jpg

Michael's Club, Private lounge for Senior suites, and top level cruisers (Zenith):

IMG_3736_zpscvlahurp.jpg

IMG_3637_zpsmhuegiiy.jpg

Even though we started cruising with HAL and might return to HAL due to great itineraries, the benefits for serious Celebrity cruisers are the best in the cruising industry.

We have access to Michael's Club where every drink pictured in the bar is free just as it is for those in the senior suites. We get 1,600 free internet minutes, free laundry, priority embarkation and disembarkation...

Not everything is perfect but the smoking policy is also the best one could expect for the competing cruise lines.

Our last experience on Westerdam was claustrophobic. We found the ceilings very low and dark compared to Celebrity ships.

We have also found that unless one cruises on different ships and different cruise experiences relatively close together, comparisons between cruise lines are sorely lacking in data. There is nothing valid in comparing a cruise on a ship a decade ago to one today when evaluating food or service. Too many things have changed in the cruising industry.

Every time I come back to the HAL site, I read about someone experiencing bad plumbing, lack of air conditioning or the stench of smoke. We have never experienced those problems on our Celebrity sailings.

There is no level of service or quality of food that would make up for the level of ship deterioration some cruisers have experienced on HAL ships.

Each cruise line has something to offer their faithful cruisers otherwise the ships would be empty. It is nice to see the level of satisfaction expressed in some posts. However saying some line is the best or better without experiencing the others stretches credibility when not supported by recent experience, either directly or by contacts who were on another line at the same time.

I'm sure we will be on another HAL ship in the next few years just to experience a cruise line with traditional values.... as soon as the smoking issue is resolved.

We started cruising in 1989 on the old Rotterdam IV and over the years reached 161 days after our Westerdam in 2008. Over the years we added a dozen Princess cruises, (non in a decade) and ten Royal cruises including Oasis and Allure, and one NCL: the Dream.

However since the mid nineties we have cruised a lot on Celebrity.[/url]

Fabulous pix and a great way to preview Celebrity!

Edited by qsuzi

Even though we started cruising with HAL and might return to HAL due to great itineraries, the benefits for serious Celebrity cruisers are the best in the cruising industry.

We have access to Michael's Club where every drink pictured in the bar is free just as it is for those in the senior suites. We get 1,600 free internet minutes, free laundry, priority embarkation and disembarkation...

Not everything is perfect but the smoking policy is also the best one could expect for the competing cruise lines.

Our last experience on Westerdam was claustrophobic. We found the ceilings very low and dark compared to Celebrity ships.

We have also found that unless one cruises on different ships and different cruise experiences relatively close together, comparisons between cruise lines are sorely lacking in data. There is nothing valid in comparing a cruise on a ship a decade ago to one today when evaluating food or service. Too many things have changed in the cruising industry.

Every time I come back to the HAL site, I read about someone experiencing bad plumbing, lack of air conditioning or the stench of smoke. We have never experienced those problems on our Celebrity sailings.

There is no level of service or quality of food that would make up for the level of ship deterioration some cruisers have experienced on HAL ships.

Each cruise line has something to offer their faithful cruisers otherwise the ships would be empty. It is nice to see the level of satisfaction expressed in some posts. However saying some line is the best or better without experiencing the others stretches credibility when not supported by recent experience, either directly or by contacts who were on another line at the same time.

I'm sure we will be on another HAL ship in the next few years just to experience a cruise line with traditional values.... as soon as the smoking issue is resolved.

Some really great comments about evaluating/rating cruise lines/experiences. HAL perks do not rate favorably, especially 1-3 star vs comparable levels on other cruise lines, e.g., RCI, Princess, and Carnival. What are the traditional values you miss on HAL? Many find smoking is still an issue on cruise lines that no longer allow smoking on balconies and limit smoking venues due to lax enforcement or reporting of the issue. Sounds like Celebrity is doing a better job.

Cruzaholic41 cruises at least once a month and has cruised all the major lines numerous times, also rated Celebrity #1.

Edited by qsuzi

As you know things can happen on any cruise line but boy what bad luck twice on HAL. Hope you give them another chance but I do understand about going from perks you receive/like vs little perks and/or those not of value to you. What level are you on Princess? HAL perks are not much value to us until we would reach 4 Star. IMHO HAL perks are not as good as RCI and Princess for example especially at lower levels.

I am elite on Princess. I have been shopping a HAL cruise. There were things I liked about my HAL cruise last year, but then it turned into a mess and all the problems of getting home. I also enjoyed a lot of my single Celebrity cruise, but I don't care for some of their business practices. It has kept me from booking with them again. I will probably keep looking at Celebrity, but I seem to always find a better deal with Princess if you stack on all the benefits.

And, yes, I understand stuff happens. I just consider it bad luck. Unfortunately, bad things happened on both my HAL cruises.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I am elite on Princess. I have been shopping a HAL cruise. There were things I liked about my HAL cruise last year, but then it turned into a mess and all the problems of getting home. I also enjoyed a lot of my single Celebrity cruise, but I don't care for some of their business practices. It has kept me from booking with them again. I will probably keep looking at Celebrity, but I seem to always find a better deal with Princess if you stack on all the benefits.

And, yes, I understand stuff happens. I just consider it bad luck. Unfortunately, bad things happened on both my HAL cruises.

Princess sure has had some great prices in 2015 for their Anniversary. We have not tried Celebrity so don't have a clue what you mean by "their business practices".

• 4 weeks later...

Well we are back from the Getaway. It's a difficult decision how the Getaway fits in really! We never had to wait to eat. The pool deck was way too crowded but it was spring break and there were apparently 1800 children on board! The Garden Cafe buffet worked really well with hardly ever a line. There was a lot to do on board but we didn't do all of it. We found it annoying the shows had to be booked in advance as we like to see how the mood takes us. Loved the waterfront idea for use of the promenade deck. Room service menu was no where near as good as HAL or Celebrity and they've added a $4.95 charge for convenience. We did not use! There are only 2 sets of elevators which we found strange an annoying. Basically we found the ship was too big and had to walk too far to get anywhere! I probably would sail again but Celebrity and HAL are still our preferred choice.

Princess sure has had some great prices in 2015 for their Anniversary. We have not tried Celebrity so don't have a clue what you mean by "their business practices".

You're not the only one that doesn't know what business practices mean. Celebrity has nothing on either hal or princess. Both my cruises on celebrity has not been good.

Edited by cruz chic

I think you'll have a better experience if you don't pick the oldest ships in the fleet.

@Arno

It ist right that X has the best benefits for coming back cruisers. But there you also have to decide, if you take the benefit like 123 go or take the OBC as a shareholder.

We had it the first time on HAL that we get the promo (3bottles of wine, 300$OBC and 100$soda card) and also the OBC as a shareholder.

@ all

I said in my post, that we did not like NCL .... after thinking about it and reading all the posts, I need to say we went on Easter and on a sponge Bob cruise ... maybe there were some things you don't have on a "normal" cruise.

Because of their good itinerariers I think we might try it again. I really like the cruise of the Pride of America, and also the Sun seems to have good stops very often :)

Greets Janine

Although HAL is our line of choice, DW and I find ourselves taking almost as many cruises on Princess. They have itineraries that HAL does not and you can usually book a suite for about 3/4 the cost of HAL. Having said that...

On Princess: a lot of things fall through the cracks. Between missing/delayed luggage, fouled up excursion reservations, apathetic bartenders and order errors in the MDR, we really long for HAL's level of service and professionalism while on a Princess cruise. The MDR food is not as good as HAL IMHO - though others might disagree. The specialty restaurants are slightly better in aggregate on Princess ( the Crown Grille almost as good as the Pinnacle, Sabatini's is way ahead of the Caneletto). On the other hand, at least in a suite, the cabins are much more nicely appointed on Princess - lots of marble and such, whereas a HAL suite seems to be just a double-sized regular cabin.

Given all this we still prefer HAL over all. The attention to detail and service is much better.

We find that HAL and RCI are going a bit south when it comes to the value of the whole package as we perceive it.

It now has to be a special price or itinerary for us to look at either of them instead of Celebrity or Princess.

Neutral on Carnival and NCL...our experience on both is that it is very ship dependent. HAL is also very ship dependent for us.

Edited by iancal

My first HAL cruise was in 1997. My favorite cruise line at that time still is but I've also added more variety, especially since I retired. HAL is really the only line where my ranking is ship dependent. Here's my current lineup:

1. Crystal

2. Prinsendam

3. Windstar

4. HAL R & S

5. Cunard

6. HAL Vista+ (haven't actually sailed them but have an opinion based on twins QE & QV and my knowledge of HAL culture)

7. RCI (only sailed the smaller ships)

8. Carnival

9. Celebrity

10. Silversea

Roy

Hi Lorie. We were on the Veendam March 7-14 and found many things to like. For us it was a very comfortable and relaxing cruise with a great public space to passenger ratio. The furniture was especially comfortable with great views in the Crows Nest, great vibe and venues on Deck 8 to name two. The food, both in the Lido, the Dive-in Grill, and the MDR was the best overall of any cruise we have been on.

Thank you for sharing your recent pleasant experience on the Veendam. Being new to HAL I read the reviews and they are all over the place, so it's nice (and reassuring) to hear from people whose opinions show the Veendam in a positive light. We are so looking forward to trying HAL, I have a friend who is a HAL fan (but hasn't tried the Veendam) and she swears by them for a nice relaxing cruise. We really are just weeks away now, and both hubby and I can hardly wait! LOL :D

Lorie

Thank you for sharing your recent pleasant experience on the Veendam. Being new to HAL I read the reviews and they are all over the place, so it's nice (and reassuring) to hear from people whose opinions show the Veendam in a positive light. We are so looking forward to trying HAL, I have a friend who is a HAL fan (but hasn't tried the Veendam) and she swears by them for a nice relaxing cruise. We really are just weeks away now, and both hubby and I can hardly wait! LOL :D

Lorie

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw about what negative things are experienced but we expected some going in so tried to put everything in balance. Service in the MDR for example can be slower than usual like with any cruise. I think you can definitely count on relaxing at various places on the Veendam. Hope the next two weeks speed by for you.

My first HAL cruise was in 1997. My favorite cruise line at that time still is but I've also added more variety, especially since I retired. HAL is really the only line where my ranking is ship dependent. Here's my current lineup:

1. Crystal

2. Prinsendam

3. Windstar

4. HAL R & S

5. Cunard

6. HAL Vista+ (haven't actually sailed them but have an opinion based on twins QE & QV and my knowledge of HAL culture)

7. RCI (only sailed the smaller ships)

8. Carnival

9. Celebrity

10. Silversea

Roy

I see you are a fan of the Prinsendam like others who are very loyal to that ship. I am not surprised to see Crystal, Winstar, and Cunard at the top half of your list but curious as to why you ranked Silversea at the bottom. Do you think you will try Princess at some point?

We find that HAL and RCI are going a bit south when it comes to the value of the whole package as we perceive it.

It now has to be a special price or itinerary for us to look at either of them instead of Celebrity or Princess.

Neutral on Carnival and NCL...our experience on both is that it is very ship dependent. HAL is also very ship dependent for us.

HAL prices are high for similar itineraries because of the smaller ship size primarily so I understand your comment.

Although HAL is our line of choice, DW and I find ourselves taking almost as many cruises on Princess. They have itineraries that HAL does not and you can usually book a suite for about 3/4 the cost of HAL. Having said that...

On Princess: a lot of things fall through the cracks. Between missing/delayed luggage, fouled up excursion reservations, apathetic bartenders and order errors in the MDR, we really long for HAL's level of service and professionalism while on a Princess cruise. The MDR food is not as good as HAL IMHO - though others might disagree. The specialty restaurants are slightly better in aggregate on Princess ( the Crown Grille almost as good as the Pinnacle, Sabatini's is way ahead of the Caneletto). On the other hand, at least in a suite, the cabins are much more nicely appointed on Princess - lots of marble and such, whereas a HAL suite seems to be just a double-sized regular cabin.

Given all this we still prefer HAL over all. The attention to detail and service is much better.

How many times have you had the issues you mentioned on Princess and how recently have you sailed them? We found a very good product without the issues you mentioned during our January cruise with them and hope we have the same experience in December when we sail on the Crown again. There were also many things we like on our first HAL cruise.