passenger overboard on Carnival Triumph

dramaqueenjan

When I posted I did so in response to people referring to must be drunks, people not watching their unruly children, people being stupid and making stupid mistakes therefore not worthy of their pity, etc.... there was no discussion on any of the specific safety things you mention in your post. If there had been, my response would not have been posted. I see no need in some of the name calling and ridiculous speculation that was being made....I, too, can put my view on this cruise forum, and I did. done.

Actually, you said that the "whys don't matter". When discussing this issue, the whys absolutely matter. It goes beyond the fact that someone died. If there is legitimately a problem with carnival procedures, it MUST be addressed. If this was a suicide, then people need to know that carnival's procedures worked perfectly and it was just an accident. You basically claim (although not outright) that if we question how this happened then we are not sympathetic to the family and have obviously "never tragically lost someone". That is where your statement went from logical to absurd. Done and done.

Actually, you said that the "whys don't matter". When discussing this issue, the whys absolutely matter. It goes beyond the fact that someone died. If there is legitimately a problem with carnival procedures, it MUST be addressed. If this was a suicide, then people need to know that carnival's procedures worked perfectly and it was just an accident. You basically claim (although not outright) that if we question how this happened then we are not sympathetic to the family and have obviously "never tragically lost someone". That is where your statement went from logical to absurd. Done and done.

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand how people can make the statement that "it doesn't matter why" because it absolutely does. If people were eating at a certain restaurant and people kept dropping dead afterwards, the public would want to know WHY. Is there a problem with the restaurant? Or did they die of natural causes?

Again, many people on these boards HAVE NOT been on a cruise yet. They have no idea that it's incredibly difficult/impossible to be swept off or accidentally "fall overboard". Honestly, if this IS POSSIBLE, I for one would like to know. But I'm sure this creates all kinds of unnecessary worrying on the part of parents of cruisers, and new cruisers. If I had never been on a cruise, and my son wanted to go on one with a friend's family or something, or go on a spring break trip, you better believe I'd be freaking out a little that it's possible for him to accidentally "fall off", because that's how the news is reporting it.

I have a HUGE amount of sympathy for any individual this happens to, as well as their family. But I do think the cruise line should give a bit more information as to how this is happening to relieve some of the stress that probably there now with people who have never been on a cruise yet. At least in the case of the Glory last week, they did eventually come out and say he did in fact climb over the railing. That's all I wanted to know, without any more detail. But I think it deserves to be reported at least a little more specifically than just an "accidental overboard."

If you read the comments under the article posted by rlkubi, there is at least one commenter who gives a possible scenario... I know it's only rumor, but if the commenter is correct - then we have our answer. And if it's true, I doubt Carnival would release that info.

If you read the comments under the article posted by rlkubi, there is at least one commenter who gives a possible scenario... I know it's only rumor, but if the commenter is correct - then we have our answer. And if it's true, I doubt Carnival would release that info.

Please, you're going to give any credence at all to an anonymous poster who claims "the word is"?

And if that was the case, then Carnival would have to release the info, as that is one of the aspects of the Cruise Passenger Safety & Security Act that actually applies to foreign flag ships.

I guess those people already made their mind that it was not an accident and it was the victim's fault.

Can anybody reference any instance where a passenger fell overboard while NOT doing something stupid or unauthorized?

Check out this link, I've followed it for years and it is fairly accurate. Scroll down from the charts at the top of the link and you will see a short synopsis of each incident.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

According to what we were told today at the port of Galveston. The man, had way to much alcohol. He didn't fall off the ship, but jumped. This is sad indeed, they need to start limiting the amount of alcohol that some folks consume. We just got off Navigator of the Sea's this morning. Seen some college kids and older people that were passed the drunk point.

According to what we were told today at the port of Galveston. The man, had way to much alcohol. He didn't fall off the ship, but jumped. This is sad indeed, they need to start limiting the amount of alcohol that some folks consume. We just got off Navigator of the Sea's this morning. Seen some college kids and older people that were passed the drunk point.

I am so happy my nephew is getting back from a cruise...he was with good people and is in a pretty good place and as far as I know does not drink after high school lessons...however at 20 kids sneak, life is difficult and at any age.... alcohol is at the end of the day a depressant. I have worried all week.

Prayers to family. Thanks for your comment.

In theory your comment about policing the amount of alcohol consumed is valid, but in practice it presents lots of issues. In reality it just wouldn't be feasible for bartenders and/or security to disallow alcohol consumption except if the person becomes belligerent or is a threat to the safety of other passengers. Besides, who is to say that all alcohol is served and drunk in public spaces. With peeps having bottles in their rooms, how do you control their consumption?

Hopefully, traveling companions should be monitoring others in their parties and should be conscientious in removing their drunk comrades from potentially harmful situations and then making sure they are monitored until the affects of the booze wear off. That would be optimum.

Not being able to confirm or deny whether alcohol was involved, or whether the person jumped, I wouldn't put much faith in what port personnel (who weren't on the Triumph) tell a passenger who wasn't on the ship either. I would have to say that it is really early for an investigation to be complete, and certainly all legal roads have not been exhausted, so I would say it would be tremendously irresponsible for Carnival to allow anyone in authority to make any comment or conjecture about the cause or mechanics of the incident. What you heard was definitely hearsay, and more likely "telephone" game information.

Alcohol is a big money maker for cruise lines and very doubtful they would limit people drinks. Heck, people go on shore and barely make it back they're so snokered. In Ensenada, one guy had to be wheeled on board in a wheel chair. He was too big for anyone to handle. When he got on board he fell out of the wheelchair and the staff stood around laughing. The guy crawled into the elevator. I have no idea if he made it to his cabin, but limiting alcohol is not the answer as they'll just get someone else to buy it for them. Doing stupid stuff will either get you killed, or lay you down for a couple of days. Stupid hurts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My sister, who is on the Triumph now, called last night. After the 44-year old woman and her husband had been arguing loudly for a long time and visibly intoxicated (observed by many passengers), the woman stated "well, I'll just jump overboard", the husband replied "go ahead", and she jumped. My sister said the Captain did a good job keeping everyone informed. Sad situation, but due to the passenger's problems.

I think this is the thread you're looking for.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2588828

My sister, who is on the Triumph now, called last night. After the 44-year old woman and her husband had been arguing loudly for a long time and visibly intoxicated (observed by many passengers), the woman stated "well, I'll just jump overboard", the husband replied "go ahead", and she jumped. My sister said the Captain did a good job keeping everyone informed. Sad situation, but due to the passenger's problems.

I guess those people already made their mind that it was not an accident and it was the victim's fault.

In modern history there aren't any records of someone accdentally falling overboard a cruise ship. In each and every case it's a personal choice influenced by alcohol, being stupid, depression or in the case of being thrown or pushed, domestic violence.

Please post a link where someone going overboard or falling inside the ship as in a recent case where the victims actions didn't cause the event.

Not being able to confirm or deny whether alcohol was involved, or whether the person jumped, I wouldn't put much faith in what port personnel (who weren't on the Triumph) tell a passenger who wasn't on the ship either. I would have to say that it is really early for an investigation to be complete, and certainly all legal roads have not been exhausted, so I would say it would be tremendously irresponsible for Carnival to allow anyone in authority to make any comment or conjecture about the cause or mechanics of the incident. What you heard was definitely hearsay, and more likely "telephone" game information.

Valid. Those in The Port of Galveston work 2-3 days a week, and often for both RCCL and Carnival. At my age I'd say word travels on the coconut telegraph, but I had Jimmy Buffett 8-tracks.

Are you aware that you are posting on a thread that is three years old? I don't think the two incidents are related.

And you'd be wrong to assume that. The Sign and Sail card is how Carnival can limit ones ability to purchase alcohol.

That is EXACTLY how they do, and I know because it happened to me once. We were on an excursion to a resort, the weather was not great and we all just hung out drinking all day. It was not long after gastric bypass for me and my tolerance was exceptionally low. My DH had to practically carry me back on the ship - literally had to toss me through the metal detector then run and catch me before I fell. I understand the security guards were pretty impressed! :D

Needless to say I did not make it back out of my cabin that evening. Late the next afternoon I ordered a drink and was politely informed that I was not permitted to purchase any drinks. I went to Guest Services, explained the situation, explained I understood why, and that I understood if I was cut off for the rest of the cruise - my stupidity. He very nicely took the hold off and and I was able to purchase drinks again.

So, yes, the cruise line will cut you off if they feel you have overimbibed. At least they did on that cruise and I was very respectful and actually pleased to know that they would do that if needed.