Suites ~ IOTS

Hello,

I am considering a 14 night cruise on IOTS sailing from Southampton in Aug 2016.

I have only travelled on IOTS once before for 4 nights in a D1 grade stateroom (on the hump) & would like to experience a suite.

Can anyone recommend which suite(s) are good (can't stretch to the top one unless I win the lottery :D) & if any particular grade / location is better i.e. aft as opposed to mid ship? I like the sun so as this is a med cruise I would (hopefully) prefer a suite with large(ish) balcony.

Also, can anyone tell me what 'perks' you get with a suite with RCI? I did notice some areas reserved for suite passengers on IOTS when we were on her in October.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Joan

I have experience of several Grand Suites on IOTS. They are all relatively similar in size etc. One thing to bear in mind is the cantilevered whirlpools above some of the suites - for this reason I would steer clear of 1564/1264 (which are directly underneath the whirlpools) and possibly 1560/1260 and 1568/1268 (either side of whirlpool but not hugely effected by it). 1598/1298 fairly mid-ship location, only noise in cabin when the band was playing on the pool deck above but otherwise nice location.

I always try and be fairly mid-ship but honestly, I am not sure it matters THAT much. I can't comment on aft cabins as I have never had one - there are no GS's at the aft.

Once you are in a GS or above, you have access to the Concierge Lounge, which has nice coffee machine and nightly drinks. The concierge can help with reservations for restaurants and shore excursions etc. There is a reserved gold card area in the Theatre and Studio B for shows and performances. I believe there is also a reserved area near the pool; I remember passing it once but I have never used it. There is an extensive list of suite amenities here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Hope this helps a little :)

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

I have experience of several Grand Suites on IOTS. They are all relatively similar in size etc. One thing to bear in mind is the cantilevered whirlpools above some of the suites - for this reason I would steer clear of 1564/1264 (which are directly underneath the whirlpools) and possibly 1560/1260 and 1568/1268 (either side of whirlpool but not hugely effected by it). 1598/1298 fairly mid-ship location, only noise in cabin when the band was playing on the pool deck above but otherwise nice location.

I always try and be fairly mid-ship but honestly, I am not sure it matters THAT much. I can't comment on aft cabins as I have never had one - there are no GS's at the aft.

Once you are in a GS or above, you have access to the Concierge Lounge, which has nice coffee machine and nightly drinks. The concierge can help with reservations for restaurants and shore excursions etc. There is a reserved gold card area in the Theatre and Studio B for shows and performances. I believe there is also a reserved area near the pool; I remember passing it once but I have never used it. There is an extensive list of suite amenities here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Thank you for your reply; it has been a great help.

Off to study the deck plans. :)

Love the perks on the Grand suites, also you might get extra stuff that is not listed, we had a dinner with wine with ships officers that was excellent ( this was for all GS and above on my last cruise) . Really liked the preferred seating without a ticket to Ice show which is not to be missed, Also ships will have special area for breakfast and sometimes lunch for suite guests. We have another GS booked in 5 weeks on Navigator

One thing the concierge will likely be able to arrange (though no guarantee) is a tour of the ship's bridge. It's not the full behind the scenes tour (the All Access tour) but you do get to visit the bridge and have an orientation talk by one of the officers as well as any Q&A you may be interested in. You can also take photos and it will normally be held the final sea day of the cruise. The Indy concierge was able to arrange this on our cruise a while back.

Edited by joepeka

One thing the concierge will likely be able to arrange (though no guarantee) is a tour of the ship's bridge. It's not the full behind the scenes tour (the All Access tour) but you do get to visit the bridge and have an orientation talk by one of the officers as well as any Q&A you may be interested in. You can also take photos and it will normally be held the final sea day of the cruise. The Indy concierge was able to arrange this on our cruise a while back.

Yes, I had this in November and was lucky enough to meet the Captain. It was a great experience. I had been offered it twice on previous cruises and then it never happened :confused: Bit hit and miss but great when it works out!

I just finished my check-in and I know it is a small perk, but I like that when you have a GS or better they will send you the luggage tags and you do not need to print them yourself

Yes that is nice but I think the OP is in the UK so the luggage tag mailing is not available there - just U.S. and Canada I believe. :(

Luggage tags are available in the UK :) At least they were at the end of last year!

I can confirm they are available as I recieved ours this week :-)

Then once again RCI's web site information is incorrect (imagine that!).... my apologies! :o

Here is the UK policy on luggage tags

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

You will need to click to expand the how do I get my luggage tags.

Thanks for the link - it has lots of useful information. I have requested them on many occasions but when it was mentioned it was USA and Canada only, I thought it may have changed since my last cruise.

Thanks for the link - it has lots of useful information. I have requested them on many occasions but when it was mentioned it was USA and Canada only, I thought it may have changed since my last cruise.

No problem. Glad to help

Enjoy your upcoming cruise:D