Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

As far as I can tell, the only real rule is that shorts, tank tops and flip flops not be worn. Meaning concert t-shirts and jeans are acceptable.

I also saw signs banning vests in the MDR on Independence of the Seas. I guess they wanted to avoid guests impersonating waiters or something.

As you point out, she wasn't objecting to the rule.....just that based on her experiences (which we must take as valid, since we were not on with her on her previous cruises), that same rule wasn't enforced and NOW she perceived it a sudden change in enforcement of the rule.

My personal philosophy is this.....if you are going to have a rule -- enforce it (not sometimes, all the time and uniformly across your company). If you are not going to enforce the rule, all the time -- don't have the rule.

Good philosophy!:D

We have a car dealer in town who advertises lowest prices, no negotiation needed. That's their rule. Do they negotiate on price? Of, course they do. Some rule.:rolleyes: A rule is not a rule unless it is enforced consistanly and fairly. Otherwise it's only a suggestion, or guideline...... "Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.". :D

We have a law against jaywalking. It is hardy ever enforced. Guess what, people jaywalk. Our speed limit on major highways is 100 kph. The police never give a speeding ticket until 110 or 115. Guess what, almost everyone goes at least 110. That 100 limit is just a guideline.

UGHHHH this is why I debated on replying. If you dont have enough class or respect for yourself or others to dress properly in a dining room. then simply dont go there. Some people save up for years to go on a cruise, and the formal dining room is something they look forward to immensely, I admit I got sucked into this childish post, but come on people... Put on your big boy and girl pants or go to the buffet.

We are on board Navigator this week. There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room. We figured that was directed at the spring break college kids but after dinner the first night our server told us that if my husband showed up in shorts again that he would be turned away. I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

Thanks for the heads up... the last 2 cruises I was on were Oasis and I saw many in MDR with shorts and no collared shirts, etc. We have always dressed business casual for most nights and formal attire for formal nights. I had just told my husband for our upcoming cruise no need for a jacket for formal nights, but now I may rethink that due to your post. We will be on Freedom. I hope they will continue to enforce dress code for MDR, but a quick mass email stating they will be doing that prior to cruising would be great. Thanks for the information! Sorry others have criticized your post.

I fully agree, and very well may receive tons of negative comments for saying this...HOWEVER! The whole dress code thing is just silly to me. Even sillier is the way some people take such personal offense to the way others dress.

I fully understand no swimsuits, no cover-ups, no bare feet, no cut offs, etc. But for wearing golf shorts and a golf shirt and be told you would be turned away because long pants are required??? In a tropical climate?? That would infuriate me.

You are hard pressed to find a restaurant on land that requires dress slacks for men...why are we expected to dress to the nines for a glorified Luby's? Nice jeans, nice golf shorts, even a nice v neck t shirt...they all look perfectly respectable on men (and women) if they are clean and neat.

And to be forced to eat at the Windjammer simply because you don't want to get dressed up to the nines for dinner...complete nonsense. I paid just as much for my vacation as you did...if not more...so those Sansabelt slacks don't make you any better than anyone else.

I don't take any particular offense to the way people dress, but what does bug me is people who break rules.

Yourself and others have mentioned wanting to stay casual on a Caribbean vacation - I completely understand that! But that means you should select options which allow it, such as the buffet or other cruise lines. If you choose Royal knowing it has a dress code you do have a responsibility to adhere to that.

You're not being forced to sail Royal or to eat in the dining room, but if you choose to then you follow the rules. Jeans and t shirts are allowable in the rules, by the way. You certainly do not have to dress 'to the nines', nor is it anything to do with who paid what for their vacation.

Of course there are some exceptions such as first night or people who have lost their luggage and Royal is pretty understanding of that, but it shouldn't be abused by people who just prefer not to.

By breaking the rules it seems to me that you actually think you're better than everyone else. So special that the rules don't apply to you.

Edited by BekkaW

My personal philosophy is this.....if you are going to have a rule -- enforce it (not sometimes, all the time and uniformly across your company). If you are not going to enforce the rule, all the time -- don't have the rule.

My personal philosophy is, if there is a rule (that is not somehow "wrong" or excessively burdensome), just follow it, so the staff can focus on more important things than being "enforcers."

Our speed limit on major highways is 100 kph. The police never give a speeding ticket until 110 or 115. Guess what, almost everyone goes at least 110. That 100 limit is just a guideline.

Actually, that seems to be a much different matter. Not being nitpicky, if people are staying reasonably close to the limit is not the same as having no rule at all.

Here's the thing. YOU enjoy wearing a suit or tux to dinner. So go right ahead and enjoy yourself. Others feel rather uncomfortable in a suit and tie, why shouldn't they be allowed to feel comfortable and enjoy the same meal. It doesn't detract from your delight in dressing up. Other than perhaps detracting from your enjoyment in watching others eating uncomfortably.

My post was mostly in reply to the another post suggesting that no one would pack pants on a tropical cruise, and that the MDR wasn't fine dining; not so much an argument against bad dress!

Well for the sake of argument.....if people should be permitted to do as they like to be comfortable and enjoy the same meal as you say, then why should it bother anyone else if people were to belch, fart, swear, eat with their hands...or eat their meat with the salad fork. haha

I'm being funny and using an extreme example of behavior that no one would do (I hope!) regardless of dress, but the point is that we all have an idea of what is socially appropriate or not and how it affects us. That varies from person to person, and it's rather arbitrary who "decides" what's appropriate, but wrong or right I guess it comes down to traditions, majority, and, in this case, clearly stated policies. I can't imagine a comparable restaurant on land allowing tee shirts and shorts, so I don't fault RCCL or any establishment with an upscale dining venue for having the same standards of dress.

It's about going with the flow. If someone's expectation for comfortable dress is different than the policy for the MDR, Royal Caribbean (and I suspect on any other cruise line) works hard to accommodate them in other venues on the ship to still get a good meal. When in Rome, do as the Romans, right?

UGHHHH this is why I debated on replying. If you dont have enough class or respect for yourself or others to dress properly in a dining room. then simply dont go there. Some people save up for years to go on a cruise, and the formal dining room is something they look forward to immensely, I admit I got sucked into this childish post, but come on people... Put on your big boy and girl pants or go to the buffet.

So now the women can't wear shorts to the MDR? If you Fashion Police zealots ban miniskirts too I'm never sailing Royal again!!!:rolleyes::):D

Actually, that seems to be a much different matter. Not being nitpicky, if people are staying reasonably close to the limit is not the same as having no rule at all.

The point is the rule, as written, is not enforced. Everybody knows it and they act accordingly. So if Royal has a 'rule' but doesn't enforce it people will also act accordingly.

Edited by DirtyDawg

On our first cruise, I didn't follow the "rules" and brought water and Pepsi on board. Royal let me do it.

On our second cruise, I didn't.

If we go on another cruise, I might decide to bring water on board. After all, they let me do it before, right? But I'm still doing it knowing it's against the "rules" and IF Royal decides to enforce the rules, I have to suffer the consequences. Period.

Forcing someone to bring pants on a Caribbean vacation might seem silly to some. OK. Then don't go on cruises that do that. I don't understand why someone would willingly sign up for a cruise that MIGHT enforce their posted rules.

The point is the rule, as written, is not enforced. Everybody knows it and they act accordingly. So if Royal has a 'rule' but doesn't enforce it people will also act accordingly.

That is YOUR point. My point is that enforcement is not necessary for the majority of people. They will comply out of respect.

That is YOUR point. My point is that enforcement is not necessary for the majority of people. They will comply out of respect.

We'll debate sometime whether the people comply out of respect or indifference. Big difference.;)

Enjoy your cruises.

It shouldn't matter if it is enforced or not.

It shouldn't matter what everyone else does.

It shouldn't matter whether you think the meal is formal enough to justify dressing up.

It shouldn't matter that you are in the Caribbean and all the other restaurants allow shorts.

The cruise lines that you picked ask you to dress a certain way for dinner. Why is that so hard for people to do? It shouldn't have to be a rule all they should have to do is ask.

It shouldn't matter if it is enforced or not.

It shouldn't matter whether you think the meal is formal enough to justify dressing up.

It shouldn't matter that you are in the Caribbean and all the other restaurants allow shorts.

The cruise lines that you picked ask you to dress a certain way for dinner. Why is that so hard for people to do? It shouldn't have to be a rule all they should have to do is ask.

No, they published guidelines that their front line employees ignored for a long time.

So they all didn't ask? Corporate asked, the employees on the ships didn't.

Just like when my wife tells people to bring white wine and I tell the same people to bring red. Confusion ensues.:confused:

We decided to go on a cruise. We read the guidelines....the do's and don'ts. We took the time to plan and pack accordingly. When we show up for dinner, what do we see? Many who either didn't bother to read the guidelines before they left or did read them and felt it didn't apply to them. Those same people...Do you also tell your children it's ok not to do their homework, no need to drive the speed limit or that it's ok to ignore your request to be home at a certain time? If I chose not to pack 'dinner clothes' for a cruise, then I guess I know where I am going to eat, either Windjammer or room service. Cruise on! [emoji6]

We'll debate sometime whether the people comply out of respect or indifference. Big difference.;)

Enjoy your cruises.

Doesn't sound like a very scintillating debate. Plus, I don't know that it matters that much. Whether you call it respect or indifference, there are people who don't mind following the dress code, and as you point out, there are people who will do whatever they please, as long as there's no "enforcement."

it shouldn't matter if it is enforced or not.

It shouldn't matter that you are in the caribbean and all the other restaurants allow shorts.

bingo.

complete nonsense. Who packs pants for vacation to a tropical destination??

The MDR is not fine dining. You are eating food that is cooked in bulk, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean, for a massive amount of people.

We have been on different royal Caribbean ships and they had air conditioning on every ship is the main dining outside on this ship?

Edited by fenton04