Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

But for wearing golf shorts and a golf shirt and be told you would be turned away because long pants are required??? In a tropical climate?? That would infuriate me.

except that the vast majority WOULD NOT be wearing golf shorts or True Bermuda Shorts. they'd be wearing those damned basketball shorts or a pair of exercise/athletic shorts.

and then you'd have them all ***** about how the term 'shorts' doesn't mean what you think it mean( dear god I am so so sick of the people defending their wearing of denim on formal nights saying that ' dress jeans' are different than regular jeans)

I was on a cruise to Bermuda, and yes, on formal night , there were a few men in Bermuda's. with sport coat, crisp tailored button down shirt, tie , dark black socks and well shined leather shoes. there were just as many in pair of khaki shorts( with belt loops but no belt) and a golf shirt and maybe a pair of shoes that were not not sneakers or sandals, but definitely not dressy.

the former, looked GOOD..smart, tailored, elegant and very Formal. the latter, look fine for being out in town. not so much for formal night.

Based on what I've read so far, I'm sure I will be bashed, ridiculed, and insulted in typical CC fashion for asking this question...but here goes.

What about breakfast or lunch in the MDR...are shorts permissible then?

PLEASE, only reply intelligently and decently!

Thank you!

Based on what I've read so far, I'm sure I will be bashed, ridiculed, and insulted in typical CC fashion for asking this question...but here goes.

Thank you!

Yes, totally allowed then :) Which begs the question, why should dinner be any different? If its a "because we said so" kind of thing then they should be diligent in enforcing it on every cruise on every ship or do away with it altogether.

Edited by ryano

My husband never wears shorts to the dining room (and we're Carnival cruisers!). However, if he was told he could, he might wear them unless I was wearing a cocktail dress.

I'm not against shorts as much as I'm against the silly t-shirts I see in the MDR on Carnival. I'll be interested to see if RCCL cruisers are as fond of them as Carnival cruisers.

So it begs the question -- what kind of 'silly t-shirts' bother you so much when you cruise on Carnival. Without even knowing what kind of t-shirts you mean, I will hazard a guess that you will see them. The same people cruise both lines.

Thank you!

yes. the 'dress code' is ONLY for dinner in the MDR. I do believe the ban on exposed swimwear is still in effect though.

So it begs the question -- what kind of 'silly t-shirts' bother you so much when you cruise on Carnival. Without even knowing what kind of t-shirts you mean, I will hazard a guess that you will see them. The same people cruise both lines.

I was thinking maybe the OP was talking about this.

Tuxedo-T-Shirt-Design-T-Shirts.jpg

except that the vast majority WOULD NOT be wearing golf shorts or True Bermuda Shorts. they'd be wearing those damned basketball shorts or a pair of exercise/athletic shorts.

and then you'd have them all ***** about how the term 'shorts' doesn't mean what you think it mean( dear god I am so so sick of the people defending their wearing of denim on formal nights saying that ' dress jeans' are different than regular jeans)

I was on a cruise to Bermuda, and yes, on formal night , there were a few men in Bermuda's. with sport coat, crisp tailored button down shirt, tie , dark black socks and well shined leather shoes. there were just as many in pair of khaki shorts( with belt loops but no belt) and a golf shirt and maybe a pair of shoes that were not not sneakers or sandals, but definitely not dressy.

the former, looked GOOD..smart, tailored, elegant and very Formal. the latter, look fine for being out in town. not so much for formal night.

And how does this informal wear hurt you? If you don't lose your appetite during lunch why would it matter during dinner?

I was thinking maybe the OP was talking about this.

Tuxedo-T-Shirt-Design-T-Shirts.jpg

I wore one of those on my favorite night at sea. We had a very good time with the bartenders at the Pool Bar one night and decided for formal night we would drink our dinner. We changed into tuxedo t's (just happened to pack one because I'm classy like that) and kept the bartenders company. Had a blast and had the whole place to ourselves.:D

I wore one of those on my favorite night at sea. We had a very good time with the bartenders at the Pool Bar one night and decided for formal night we would drink our dinner. We changed into tuxedo t's (just happened to pack one because I'm classy like that) and kept the bartenders company. Had a blast and had the whole place to ourselves.:D

Hey! Ive got NO problem with that t shirt! :D

In 5 cruises the cruise line did not enforce their own rule, now they are. That was the OP's point. In fact she's 'glad' they are enforcing it but would like to have had advanced notice of the change in policy.

As you point out, she wasn't objecting to the rule.....just that based on her experiences (which we must take as valid, since we were not on with her on her previous cruises), that same rule wasn't enforced and NOW she perceived it a sudden change in enforcement of the rule.

My personal philosophy is this.....if you are going to have a rule -- enforce it (not sometimes, all the time and uniformly across your company). If you are not going to enforce the rule, all the time -- don't have the rule.

complete nonsense. Who packs pants for vacation to a tropical destination??

The MDR is not fine dining. You are eating food that is cooked in bulk, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean, for a massive amount of people.

I bring the pants and jacket I wear on the flight to the embarkation port, and pack french cuff shirts, ties, and a tux. My friends and I enjoy looking nice and dressing up every evening for dinner even though most nights have become "casual" dress code except for formal nights.

Others don't like to and that's just fine, though I do feel a little indignant on formal nights when I'm dressed in a tux and like to see how elegant others look in nice clothes, and I see a table of people in tee shirts. haha I'm rather glad to hear that a dress code is being at least minimally enforced.

No, the MDR isn't a 5-star restaurant, but I think they do an amazing job preparing the "bulk food for massive amounts of people." The dining room is beautifully appointed, and with few exceptions the food is good to excellent, as is the service; and yes, you are at sea--which is a wonderful thing!

I doubt that many of the people on board eat out every night of the week, if ever, at comparable restaurants on land. And if they did, I would certainly hope they had sense enough not to show up at a restaurant like that in shorts and a tee shirt.

The experience is what you make it. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I don't dress for dinner. Dinner each night is a highlight; I spend at least two hours enjoying it at the late seating, and for me it is fine dining. If anyone wants a different experience, the Windjammer serves a great variety of good food just an elevator ride away a few decks up, and you'll feel right at home dressed however you like.

It is always the more casual end of the dress discussion that gets focused on.....so let's look at "Formal Nights".

I wear a skirt and colorful blouse -- but nothing that I would consider appropriate for a cocktail party or something more formal.

My DH wears slacks and shirt and tie (sometimes not the tie), sometimes a sports jacket -- not a suit and not a tuxedo.

We have never been asked to leave the dining room because we were not dressed formally enough. To some people, we probably should be asked to head to the WJ.

Edited by Paulette3028

This thread is so funny. How many people state that wearing shorts was the majority, but yet on all the RCCL I've been on, you barely see anyone wearing shorts. Even the short cruises.

Adult men should learn to be adults. It's not hard to wear pants when eating. No one needs to hold hands, and tell you what is appropriate. You already know it.

I live in the tropics. I wear pants every day. The outside temperature today is 82. I am wearing pants. Just because it is "hot" does not mean you can do what you want.

Yes, if I am dressed appropriately, and one of my table mates decides to come in wearing shorts, t-shirt and a baseball cap, it is annoying. It's a sign of disrepect.

Who determines what the appropriate dress is that we should all inherently know about as adults? Middle-aged white westerners, I assume?

It wasn't long ago that powdered wigs were appropriate. Times change.

I bring the pants and jacket I wear on the flight to the embarkation port, and pack french cuff shirts, ties, and a tux. My friends and I enjoy looking nice and dressing up every evening for dinner even though most nights have become "casual" dress code except for formal nights.

Others don't like to and that's just fine, though I do feel a little indignant on formal nights when I'm dressed in a tux and like to see how elegant others look in nice clothes, and I see a table of people in tee shirts. haha I'm rather glad to hear that a dress code is being at least minimally enforced.

No, the MDR isn't a 5-star restaurant, but I think they do an amazing job preparing the "bulk food for massive amounts of people." The dining room is beautifully appointed, and with few exceptions the food is good to excellent, as is the service; and yes, you are at sea--which is a wonderful thing!

I doubt that many of the people on board eat out every night of the week, if ever, at comparable restaurants on land. And if they did, I would certainly hope they had sense enough not to show up at a restaurant like that in shorts and a tee shirt.

The experience is what you make it. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I don't dress for dinner. Dinner each night is a highlight; I spend at least two hours enjoying it at the late seating, and for me it is fine dining. If anyone wants a different experience, the Windjammer serves a great variety of good food just an elevator ride away a few decks up, and you'll feel right at home dressed however you like.

Here's the thing. YOU enjoy wearing a suit or tux to dinner. So go right ahead and enjoy yourself. Others feel rather uncomfortable in a suit and tie, why shouldn't they be allowed to feel comfortable and enjoy the same meal. It doesn't detract from your delight in dressing up. Other than perhaps detracting from your enjoyment in watching others eating uncomfortably.

Edited by TominNC

We are on board Navigator this week. There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room. We figured that was directed at the spring break college kids but after dinner the first night our server told us that if my husband showed up in shorts again that he would be turned away. I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

The dress code is no secret, and they do tell people beforehand. I think what you're perhaps suggesting is that they should tell people "we're going to start enforcing it." But I, on the other hand, think that people should simply follow the dress code, especially the parts that are explicitly states like "no shorts, tank tops or bare feet." To ignore those, just because you don't think you'll get confronted about it shows disrespect, in my opinion.

Posting just because it bears repeating:

You will not be turned away from the MDR on any themed night ("formal" included) if wearing Dockers, shoes, and a button-up shirt or polo. A tux, jacket, or tie is not required by RCL.

I do know, however, that shorts are not permitted in the Concierge Lounge on formal night. So it makes sense that shorts would not be allowed in the MDR either.

I was on the Freedom last summer and told my hubby he had to wear pants to dinner every night. The second night was formal night and the third night he was wearing slacks. He counted 20 men in shorts from the time we entered the dining room until we were seated 5 tables from the door. I could not get him in pants the rest of the of the cruise and 90% of the men were not in pants. They all looked great in their collared shirts and 'dressy' shorts.

I thank the OP for posting this because we are planning another return trip on the Freedom and I will make sure he packs at least one pair of just in case pants. ;)

I have debated about chiming in here.. but I think i am just going to.

1. As many other frequent cruises have posted. Other than the first night of the sailing, it's very common knowledge what is appropriate attire in the MD

2. Although I have gotten rid of the coat and tie a couple years ago, I would not even consider stepping foot in their without at least a pair of dockers and a polo shirt.

3. I am one of those people that become frustrated on a formal night when you see people fresh from the pool in a concert t shirt ripped jeans or shorts and flippies in the main dining room. LISTEN TO ME! THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES ON THE SHIP THAT YOU CAN EAT IF YOU DONT WANT TO DRESS AS REQUIRED. NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO WEAR A TUX, BUT I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD GO ON A CRUISE WITHOUT ONE PAIR OF CASUAL DRESS PANTS. And to that point, there have been many nights where I just go to the buffet because I dont feel like showering or getting dressed up. I am sure there are other cruise lines (maybe carnival) that might be more lax on this. But then again there are many cruise lines that are Formal every night NO EXCEPTIONS. UGHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I have debated about chiming in here.. but I think i am just going to.

1. As many other frequent cruises have posted. Other than the first night of the sailing, it's very common knowledge what is appropriate attire in the MD

2. Although I have gotten rid of the coat and tie a couple years ago, I would not even consider stepping foot in their without at least a pair of dockers and a polo shirt.

3. I am one of those people that become frustrated on a formal night when you see people fresh from the pool in a concert t shirt ripped jeans or shorts and flippies in the main dining room. LISTEN TO ME! THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES ON THE SHIP THAT YOU CAN EAT IF YOU DONT WANT TO DRESS AS REQUIRED. NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO WEAR A TUX, BUT I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD GO ON A CRUISE WITHOUT ONE PAIR OF CASUAL DRESS PANTS. And to that point, there have been many nights where I just go to the buffet because I dont feel like showering or getting dressed up. I am sure there are other cruise lines (maybe carnival) that might be more lax on this. But then again there are many cruise lines that are Formal every night NO EXCEPTIONS. UGHHHHHHHHHH

Suggestions and requirements are two very different things. As far as I can tell, the only real rule is that shorts, tank tops and flip flops not be worn. Meaning concert t-shirts and jeans are acceptable.

Again, the definition of "appropriate" attire is completely subjective.