Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

Who determines what the appropriate dress is that we should all inherently know about as adults? Middle-aged white westerners, I assume?

It wasn't long ago that powdered wigs were appropriate. Times change.

Actually times haven't changed. Appropriate dress for "big boys" is still appropriate, in all cultures and walks of life. If you go to a place that states a dress code, than you as a "big boy" should be an adult and follow it.

Normally, one's parents would teach this, but in some cases, a grandparent or other person within the family unit teaches manners.

Other words, since no one taught you as of yet, adults attending certain events, that specifically spell out what should be worn, should have the decency to follow it. A need for fashion police should not be necessary if.

I have two young adults. I don't think I have ever had to tell them what to wear because they usually dress better than me. They are both married now. Their wives will also dress up without ever being told.

And how does this informal wear hurt you? If you don't lose your appetite during lunch why would it matter during dinner?

it all comes down to respect.

respect for the line's request that you do so, respect for the other people a round you and enough SELF respect to do as requested without having to thumb you nose at said request.

I know many of you are like 'well I don't care what other people think of me" but trust me you ARE being judged. and not in a flattering way if you deliberately flaunt your disregard of you host's requests.

I don't lose my appetite at lunch as it is not expected to be dressed up during he day. it is the standard to be more casual. Also, Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is far faster, and much less formalized.. you get seated randomly, you have fewer courses, and service is quicker.

Downtown Abbey has it right.. you used to DRESS for dinner..EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

it all comes down to respect.

respect for the line's request that you do so, respect for the other people a round you and enough SELF respect to do as requested without having to thumb you nose at said request.

I know many of you are like 'well I don't care what other people think of me" but trust me you ARE being judged. and not in a flattering way if you deliberately flaunt your disregard of you host's requests.

I don't lose my appetite at lunch as it is not expected to be dressed up during he day. it is the standard to be more casual. Also, Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is far faster, and much less formalized.. you get seated randomly, you have fewer courses, and service is quicker.

Downtown Abbey has it right.. you used to DRESS for dinner..EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

And George Washington wore a wig, knickers and hose. Times change. Fashions change. Suits and ties are pointless. And really why would your judgement affect me? Feel free to sit there smugly and judge.

Yeah, and, so? They paid to be on vacation. Wearing something that is 12-24 inches shorter than down to your ankle, big deal. Doesn't hurt anyone. Doesn't cut into anyones wallet. It's such a trivial thing to get worked up over. It's not a health and safety issue. It's not something that costs others money. It's not something that's anyone elses business really. And it's downright silly to "require" long pants on a vacation to the Caribbean. Wear pants if you want to wear pants. Wear shorts if you want to wear shorts. If they want to drag "tradition" out until it it just beaten to a pulp, fine, require pants on formal nights. Other than that let people do what they want and it will end this ridiculous argument.

I, too, paid for that vacation and I read the info on my cruise contract. I really am not happy with others. and I also know that they paid, that decide that they will ignore the info and do "as they please because it's the Caribbean and we should be allowed to wear shorts.":rolleyes:

The dress code is no secret, and they do tell people beforehand. I think what you're perhaps suggesting is that they should tell people "we're going to start enforcing it." But I, on the other hand, think that people should simply follow the dress code, especially the parts that are explicitly states like "no shorts, tank tops or bare feet." To ignore those, just because you don't think you'll get confronted about it shows disrespect, in my opinion.

Where's that Like Button":rolleyes:?"

Edited by CORKY_Q

UGHHHH this is why I debated on replying. If you dont have enough class or respect for yourself or others to dress properly in a dining room. then simply dont go there. Some people save up for years to go on a cruise, and the formal dining room is something they look forward to immensely, I admit I got sucked into this childish post, but come on people... Put on your big boy and girl pants or go to the buffet.

I will never ever be told by another guest to go anywhere.

Why not just sail on a cruise line that has no suggested dress code? If that many people wanted a dumbed down cruise experience and voted with their pocketbook perhaps RCI would change the policy. Perhaps the suggested dress code is in place because most customers prefer it. I encourage the Walmart shoppers to shop at Walmart, leave Nordstoms to those who care about our appearances.

I, too, paid for that vacation and I read the info on my cruise contract. I really am not happy with others. and I also know that they paid, that decide that they will ignore the info and do "as they please because it's the Caribbean and we should be allowed to wear shorts.":rolleyes:

Grow up and get over it. I vacation for my happiness. Not yours. And I think you should dress however pleases you and your company. And I will do similarly

Why not just sail on a cruise line that has no suggested dress code? If that many people wanted a dumbed down cruise experience and voted with their pocketbook perhaps RCI would change the policy. Perhaps the suggested dress code is in place because most customers prefer it. I encourage the Walmart shoppers to shop at Walmart, leave Nordstoms to those who care about our appearances.

What's the difference to YOU if I wear slacks Polo and boat shoes or golf shorts and the same Polo and boat shoes? You think you are so much classier?

You think because you sit there and judge people you are actually better than them but the reality is you are just a judgmental and bitter person. I actually pity you based on your ridiculous comments. you're a sad person

Edited by LMaxwell

This is one of the funniest threads I've read. We're not talking about something that may affect people's health like smoking or drinking. We're judging people's worth based on whether they tie a bit of material around their neck while they eat dinner. Hilarious.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read. We're not talking about something that may affect people's health like smoking or drinking. We're judging people's worth based on whether they tie a bit of material around their neck while they eat dinner. Hilarious.

It is Friday. We don't judge neck wear on friday. We judge length of pant below the knee. Pants end at ankle, a seasoned cruiser and right good fellow. Pants end at knee? Trailer trash in basketball shorts. Women in shorts? Oh no problem 100% fine.

What's the difference to YOU if I wear slacks Polo and boat shoes or golf shorts and the same Polo and boat shoes? You think you are so much classier?

You think because you sit there and judge people you are actually better than them but the reality is you are just a judgmental and bitter person. I actually pity you based on your ridiculous comments. you're a sad person

Judgmental yes, bitter absolutely not.

As I stated in my original post, in our experience the dress code has not been enforced. The sign was not difficult to understand. DH always packs a suit for formal nights and wears golf shirts and shorts the other nights. The first cruise we went on we followed the dress code and found we were in the minority. I posted to let others know who have had the same experience and to help them avoid a similar situation. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Not trying to sound snarky here but this kind of sounds like the freeways here. No body drives the speed limit. They all know what it is but it's never enforced. Occasionally some are pulled over. Don't think "but it's never enforced" is a valid excuse.

We were on the Allure last month. Saw plenty of people, men, women, children, what have you, wearing shorts on the various casual nights. It was no problem at all. Certainly didn't bother me any. I can't believe so many people are so angry about it. It's vacation, not a federal trial.

That really isn't an appropriate response. I happen to shop at both and my husband and I know how to dress and when. I have no problem with formal night and no problem on casual nights if men wear "nice tommy Bahama pleated shorts belted with a polo or button down tropical shirt and loafers. Who are to be so high and mighty. I don't normally jump on a dress code soap box but your clothing store remarks show just how low class you must be.

For me it is not so much about what people wear. It is about people knowing what is expected, signing a contract stating that you agree to follow the stated expectations and then feeling somehow wronged when confronted for not abiding to what was agreed prior to boarding. Enforcement has no issue in the matter. The cruise lines do not have a contract with the customers that states they have to enforce all stated policies.

That's right. It's that idea that "I paid my money. I can't be bothered to follow rules." It's not "that" people wear shorts that is the problem. It is that there are rules in place and people fell that they are so special they do not have to bother to follow the rules.

These are the same folks who believe they paid to see a movie, therefore if they want to talk on their cell phone during the movie, too bad for everyone else. It is rude. Everyone pays their money and understands the rules when they pay. To get offended when you are asked to follow the rules is ridiculous.

Would you continue to patronize a movie theater that let people have cell phone conversations at a normal volume? Would you be okay if a business decided not to enforce the health code? You pay money and should expect the rules to be enforced.

What's that based on?

personal experience. and the one young man thought it was hysterical that he was forced to wear a jacket in the CL on formal night over his basketball shorts. he looks like an idiot but he was also too drunk to care apparently.

We had this argument in my old office for years.

When I first started working with the firm, business professional was required. It was, after all, the 80s. That slowly changed to business casual with jean days on Friday. Then it changed to jeans every day unless I client was visiting. Then, we started inviting the clients to wear jeans. The only time the partners considered a return to business professional was when a couple of the young ladies felt that tube top sundresses were appropriate for the office.

Because my job was to deal with the public, I felt the need to dress in a semi-professional manner (i.e. a professional top with casual pants or jeans). However, despite the fact that we had non-management enforcement in place (nosy people who would report improper dress to management), I still respected the people who chose to come to work inappropriately dressed and let management deal with them (sometimes they did, other times not). Unless they came to work in their skivvies, I didn't care how they were dressed, as long as they showed up. How they dressed was none of my business. I controlled my closet, not theirs.

I will be cruising in November with my nephew. It will be his first cruise, and I have told him that he will be required to wear a suit at least one night (for a picture for his mom). Beyond that, I want him to enjoy this experience and do not care if he wears shorts to the dining room or not. If Navigator chooses to enforce the rule, we will respect it, or go elsewhere. However, it is vacation. We are supposed to relax and kick back. For him, that would be shorts and a t-shirt. For me, it's a cute dress and flipflops.

Don't judge us and we won't judge you.

We had this argument in my old office for years.

When I first started working with the firm, business professional was required. It was, after all, the 80s. That slowly changed to business casual with jean days on Friday. Then it changed to jeans every day unless I client was visiting. Then, we started inviting the clients to wear jeans. The only time the partners considered a return to business professional was when a couple of the young ladies felt that tube top sundresses were appropriate for the office.

Because my job was to deal with the public, I felt the need to dress in a semi-professional manner (i.e. a professional top with casual pants or jeans). However, despite the fact that we had non-management enforcement in place (nosy people who would report improper dress to management), I still respected the people who chose to come to work inappropriately dressed and let management deal with them (sometimes they did, other times not). Unless they came to work in their skivvies, I didn't care how they were dressed, as long as they showed up. How they dressed was none of my business. I controlled my closet, not theirs.

I will be cruising in November with my nephew. It will be his first cruise, and I have told him that he will be required to wear a suit at least one night (for a picture for his mom). Beyond that, I want him to enjoy this experience and do not care if he wears shorts to the dining room or not. If Navigator chooses to enforce the rule, we will respect it, or go elsewhere. However, it is vacation. We are supposed to relax and kick back. For him, that would be shorts and a t-shirt. For me, it's a cute dress and flipflops.

Don't judge us and we won't judge you.

Where's that giant LIKE button?

Times have changed.