Live From The Star Princess Hawaiian Cruise 3/21/ to 4/5

MTJSR

Did you know? The new Royal and Regal ships are missing a center staircase?

The new Royal and Regal (as well as the Grand) do have a center staircase.

However, it is closed to passengers above deck 7. It is available to passengers for muster drill and in case of emergencies.

On the Grand, that arrangement could best be described as poor planning.

For the Royal and Regal, it was to save the cost of finishing the stairway above deck 7 to standards that passengers expect, for example carpeting.

Sea condition update: Captain Nash announced earlier that we would be seeing waves at 8 to 10 feet and that the ride from Ensenada to San Francisco will be a bouncy one.

Ever type a letter while on a roller coaster? Kinda like that right now!

Sea condition update: Captain Nash announced earlier that we would be seeing waves at 8 to 10 feet and that the ride from Ensenada to San Francisco will be a bouncy one.

Ever type a letter while on a roller coaster? Kinda like that right now!

Not good. Let us know how the ship handled it. :eek: We are going to be on Aloha Deck.

Not good. Let us know how the ship handled it. :eek: We are going to be on Aloha Deck.

This ship handles it very well. The stabilizers are out (per Captain Nash) and doing their job well, so no rolling side to side. But as you sit in the horizon ct, you can see a big swell heading our way, and when it hits, it feels like the aft end shimmies from the impact on the bow. Like sitting on a dog shaking water off. Kinda fun actually.:D

Two days ago, we passed on our portside the SBX-1 Sea Based Navel Radar System, which is a remote controlled early warning system. Google it and check out what is roaming the pacific.

Edited by MTJSR

This ship handles it very well. The stabilizers are out (per Captain Nash) and doing their job well, so no rolling side to side. But as you sit in the horizon ct, you can see a big swell heading our way, and when it hits, it feels like the aft end shimmies from the impact on the bow. Like sitting on a dog shaking water off. Kinda fun actually.:D

Two days ago, we passed on our portside the SBX-1 Sea Based Navel Radar System, which is a remote controlled early warning system. Google it and check out what is roaming the pacific.

The locals call it the floating golf ball. It was docked at Aloha Towers for a long time before moving to Ford Island (Pearl Harbor).

https://www.google.com/search?q=SBX-1+Sea+Based+Naval+Radar+System&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=0Hj4af3FXT6J6M%253A%253Bek5QYXOW5zS_jM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fsecurity.blogs.cnn.com%25252F2012%25252F03%25252F29%25252Fnavy-ships-out-radar-system-ahead-of-north-korea-launch%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=0Hj4af3FXT6J6M%253A%252Cek5QYXOW5zS_jM%252C_&usg=__X8xDpGzWKVoLO8HC1hk-mUULyig%3D&biw=1108&bih=780&ved=0CDwQyjc&ei=VZodVaneI4v8oATW2IL4Aw#imgrc=0Hj4af3FXT6J6M%253A%3Bek5QYXOW5zS_jM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi2.cdn.turner.com%252Fcnn%252F2012%252Fimages%252F03%252F29%252Ft1larg.x-bandradar.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsecurity.blogs.cnn.com%252F2012%252F03%252F29%252Fnavy-ships-out-radar-system-ahead-of-north-korea-launch%252F%3B640%3B360

Your posts are very informative (rather than "overly" opinionated) thus making the read very enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time during your busy sea days to stop and welcome us into your world.

[/url]

Your posts are very informative (rather than "overly" opinionated) thus making the read very enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time during your busy sea days to stop and welcome us into your world.

You are welcome!

Colo Cruiser: Yes thats it!, it was out cruising around about a day and a half outside of the Hawaiian islands.

Edited by MTJSR

...Two days ago, we passed on our portside the SBX-1 Sea Based Navel Radar System, which is a remote controlled early warning system. Google it and check out what is roaming the pacific.

The semi-submersible self-propelled vessel on which the SBX-1 missile-defence radar is mounted is not remote controlled. It is variously reported to have a crew of approximately 75-87, e.g.,

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/sea-based-x-band-radar-1-sbx-1/

https://fas.org/man/eprint/sbx.pdf

The radar data are no doubt remotely accessible. I have not seen any information regarding the extent to which the operations of the radar may be remotely controlled.

John

Edited by J-D

Did it look like this?

vf4f5413c1.jpg

Interesting. We didn't see anything like that in Hawaii. However, cruising from Ensenada to San Francisco, we were turned around by the military and started heading south. DH and I couldn't figure out why we were headed south instead of north. We were in total confusion. The captain told everyone what was going on. About 5 minutes later a fighter jet flys over the ship (aft). It was unbelievable as I was walking the Promenade and saw it coming. It was really an awesome sight.

Short note to close out my live updates. I hope some found the information fun and useful. I enjoy passing along tidbits I hear as I know the days leading up to a cruise are tough to bear without some current updates.

Today we passed the Ruby Princess as we entered Ensenada. Naturally their was a short horn war.

Tonight we head back to San Francisco with information that tomorrow afternoon will be 10 ft swells and high winds. We will be cruising closer to the coast and the inside shipping lane by the channel islands in order to miss some nastiness. Captain Nash has been very good at keeping us informed as to whats expected and his measures to counter any rough rides.

I encourage everyone boarding soon to start their cruise by smiling and saying hello to every staff member they meet. I just received 14 days of the best service possible by being pleasant. Have a fantastic cruise!

Edited by MTJSR

Short note to close out my live updates. I hope some found the information fun and useful.

Mark, a big thanks....... totally enjoyed your live from reports and the "did you know" sections were brilliant :D

Still not sure if it's going to be a cruise or hotel stay/island hop for us when we do venture to Hawaii but you've definitely given us something to think about :cool:

I'll be on the boards checking all things Hawaiian up until we do make our minds up so if I "see" you or your mum on here again I'll be sure to say hi.

Despite the rough forecast, I hope you have a reasonably smooth return to SF.

Thanks again

Sue :)

Thank you so much for your reports. We board tomorrow morning! This will be our kids first cruise and they are dieing to get on! Hopefully the waters will calm down...

Edited by gnatz007
mispelling

Mark, a big thanks....... totally enjoyed your live from reports and the "did you know" sections were brilliant :D

Still not sure if it's going to be a cruise or hotel stay/island hop for us when we do venture to Hawaii but you've definitely given us something to think about :cool:

I'll be on the boards checking all things Hawaiian up until we do make our minds up so if I "see" you or your mum on here again I'll be sure to say hi.

Despite the rough forecast, I hope you have a reasonably smooth return to SF.

Thanks again

Sue :)

Thank you so much. I hope someday we cruise together again. Small world, chances are we will!

Mark

Thank you so much for your reports. We board tomorrow morning! This will be our kids first cruise and they are dieing to get on! Hopefully the waters will calm down...

You are welcome! I think I heard you will have a new Captain boarding tomorrow. Captain Nash has been a hoot (so to speak).

Have a great cruise!

You are welcome! I think I heard you will have a new Captain boarding tomorrow. Captain Nash has been a hoot (so to speak).

Have a great cruise!

We received a welcome letter from Captain Stefano Ravera. I guess he will be hopping on with us. How are the waves today? My wife and I know we will be fine. No clue how our kids will do.

I encourage everyone boarding soon to start their cruise by smiling and saying hello to every staff member they meet. I just received 14 days of the best service possible by being pleasant. Have a fantastic cruise!

Good advice. We have always found that to be the case. In general the expression that you see on the other persons face tends to be a reflection of yourself.

And, BTW, thanks for the live updates. :cool:

Thanks for the Live update! Mark: I'll remember to pack my "smile" and I always take Bonine, had the experience of dehydration sailing to Hawaii in '07. Hopefully the seas will be calm for our 29th sailing. Thanks again for taking time to post live. The posts were great!

Carol

Sorry the seas haven't cooperated with you on this trip. This was true of our crossing as well. We too just kept smiling!

Thank you so much for taking us along. I've enjoyed the factoids you heard on your travels. May home be happy to greet you and you get your land legs back soon. Safe travels.

Neil and John just did a Q&A in the Vista lounge on crew life. If they do it on your cruise, go see it. Very very informative and debunks some CC rumors.

Seas very choppy right now, but the Star is riding them really well. I look outside and it looks like I should be tossed around like a rag doll, but its pretty smooth inside.

Confirmed, new Captain boarding tomorrow! Staff running around making the ship all pretty for you tomorrow. Adding Easter decorations everywhere. Have a fantastic time!

Edited by MTJSR