I'm skipping formal night! Help a man out.

So we want to skip formal nights on the ship. Frankly I hate dressing up and live in a city where most restaurants no matter how nice allow shorts and casual (Austin, TX). We get amazing food in a laid back atmosphere. Anyway my wife and I talked it over and we are both simple people and about as nice as I get dressed up is a Tommy Bahama shirt and docker type pants. I don't own any suits or dress clothes. On a warm caribbean cruise the last thing I want to do is put on a tie but I also don't want to distract in the MDR on formal night.

So where does a couple go given that I am willing to wear a Tommy Bahama and tan pants? We were thinking about Sabor and maybe Johnny Rockets for dinner on those two nights. Also there is Windjammer but I am guessing I'll be sick of it by the time we get towards the end of the cruise. What are the other options and what is the level of dress at those places?

On our Allure cruise in January we decided we weren't bringing formal wear either. My husband dressed in a polo shirt and khakis and I wore a short dress. We were welcomed with open arms in the dining room. We even saw people in shorts and baseball hats. I don't think they turn too many people away now a days.

You will be dressed just fine for whatever venue you choose any night of the week!

Another Austinite here! I promised DH that I would not ask him to put on a jacket or tie if he would go on a Mexican Riviera cruise a few years back. We went to specialty restaurants on each of the formal night. He wore a pair of khakis and a Tommy Bahama shirt. We had a lovely dinner, it wasn't crowded at all, and it was obvious that we were not the only couple in specialty restaurants on those nights for the same reason.

You should also be aware that they have lately been turning men away from the dining room who were in shorts on Navigator - in case this is the ship you are taking.

Edited by bethco

Thanks! Will we stick out if we are not dressed formal? I guess I don't want to be a disruption. I don't mind going to the other venues on those nights if needed. I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable.

I don't plan on wearing shorts in the MDR just didn't want to dress fancy smancy.

As others have said, you are not required to dress formally for the dining room; it is a requested attire. But if you'd rather avoid the formal crowd, you'd be fine in pretty much any of the specialty restaurants.

Also, the Windjammer (at least in my limited experience) is different at dinner time than for lunches, so it is not that bad of an option either. The couple times we've done WJ for dinner, it was much less crowded than at lunch time and seemed to have less of a cafeteria atmosphere. And the food offerings were pretty good, as well.

Another Austinite here! I promised DH that I would not ask him to put on a jacket or tie if he would go on a Mexican Riviera cruise a few years back. We went to specialty restaurants on each of the formal night. He wore a pair of khakis and a Tommy Bahama shirt. We had a lovely dinner, it wasn't crowded at all, and it was obvious that we were not the only couple in specialty restaurants on those nights for the same reason.

You should also be aware that they have lately been turning men away from the dining room who were in shorts on Navigator - in case this is the ship you are taking.

Yep we are going on Navigator July 5th. We are ditching the kids with grandma and grandpa and celebrating our 15th anniversary with some beaches and fun in the sun. We have cruised 2 times with Disney but are scoping out RCCL to see how it will be for the kiddos when we are on board. Our kids are 3, 6, and 11.

Thanks! Will we stick out if we are not dressed formal? I guess I don't want to be a disruption. I don't mind going to the other venues on those nights if needed. I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable.

I don't plan on wearing shorts in the MDR just didn't want to dress fancy smancy.

There will be lots of dressed-up folks, but you would not stick out as being the only ones more casual, if you go the MDR route. It probably varies on different ships and itineraries, but I've seen, normally, something like 20-30% of the people being on the casual side (not that I counted; that's just a gut-feel estimate).

I've been in the Navigator twice. Definitely more laid back than other ships. DH did Austin formal-- pressed jeans, boots and a collared polo. He was fine. No one batted an eye. Definitely more of a Texas feel-- coming from a South Austinite!

Just got off Navigator this past Sunday - they now have a sign outside the main dining room and it reads, Please no shorts and must wear shoes in MDR. My DH wore long pants and a shirt - no tie - no jacket. I wore a short dress. All was fine. Go and enjoy the dining room every night, you will be fine.

on the Jewel in January a tablemate asked our opinion of them not dressing up. The response of all at the table was come the way you want. We told them that we want to eat with them not their clothes!! FYI - no one at the table knew each other prior to the cruise. Just as long as you are neatly dressed the heck with what others think.

As others have said, you are not required to dress formally for the dining room; it is a requested attire. But if you'd rather avoid the formal crowd, you'd be fine in pretty much any of the specialty restaurants.

Also, the Windjammer (at least in my limited experience) is different at dinner time than for lunches, so it is not that bad of an option either. The couple times we've done WJ for dinner, it was much less crowded than at lunch time and seemed to have less of a cafeteria atmosphere. And the food offerings were pretty good, as well.

Actually, in the Cruise Compass it says "Suggested Attire".:D

I've been in the Navigator twice. Definitely more laid back than other ships. DH did Austin formal-- pressed jeans, boots and a collared polo. He was fine. No one batted an eye. Definitely more of a Texas feel-- coming from a South Austinite!

We live in SW Austin. I don't press jeans though ;)

Thanks everyone!

You are totally fine in pants and a button up Tommy bahama shirt. As in you will see quite a lot of that. Don't go pay for a burger and miss out unless you want to. Really.

The way you will be dressed is actually fine for any restaurant on any night, so enjoy. [emoji568]

So where does a couple go given that I am willing to wear a Tommy Bahama and tan pants?

Dude, if that's what you wear, you'd be doing better than half the people there...Don't worry about sticking out or whatever....You'll fit in just fine. It's the ripped jeans and tank top people that make it look bad... So wear your tommy bahama shirt, and khakis and enjoy your meal!

Although the clothing you are described is perfectly acceptable for formal nights, the tux people might give you a look or (if the really pushy type) might make a remark said just loud enough to make sure you hear it. (Yes, we've had that happen.)

If you prefer there are lots of choices for dinner besides the mdr. On some ships the Windjammer gets pretty fancy on formal nights. On our Oasis cruise a couple weeks ago the MDR headwaiter was offering 1/2 price seating in any specialty restaurant on formal nights. Just ask your headwaiter the first night when he introduces him/herself at your table if there are any formal night specials available in the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise!

Tonight was formal night on Navigator. Many men wore suits,very few wore tuxes, some men wore a dress shirt and tie. There were no men wearing polo shirts in the MDR for assigned seating.

Interesting. I do find that most people who want to push for more casual dress seem to exaggerate how many people dress down, but I'd be surprised to not see any men in polo shirts or similar.

we have not brought formal clothes on a Caribbean cruise in years and we still go to the MDR for dinner. We do not feel out of place since there are many others that are not "dressed up" either. My husband dresses as you do - Tommy Bahama shirt and a pair of dockers. However we do bring formal clothes when sailing in Europe as it seems more people do dress up for dinner.

Marianne

Although the clothing you are described is perfectly acceptable for formal nights, the tux people might give you a look or (if the really pushy type) might make a remark said just loud enough to make sure you hear it. (Yes, we've had that happen.)

If you prefer there are lots of choices for dinner besides the mdr. On some ships the Windjammer gets pretty fancy on formal nights. On our Oasis cruise a couple weeks ago the MDR headwaiter was offering 1/2 price seating in any specialty restaurant on formal nights. Just ask your headwaiter the first night when he introduces him/herself at your table if there are any formal night specials available in the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've heard some reports of higher prices in specialty venues on formal nights, because there is increased demand from those who prefer to avoid the MDR. Can't vouch for that personally, but I've seen that mentioned a couple times on a thread about the increasing cover charge at Chops.

Tonight was formal night on Navigator. Many men wore suits,very few wore tuxes, some men wore a dress shirt and tie. There were no men wearing polo shirts in the MDR for assigned seating.

I also have seen many more people dressed up on formal night than this site suggests. I saw a few polo shirts for men on the Oasis, but far more dress shirts and ties, with or without suit jackets.