TV Program: Azamara Journey

Mura

An interesting program just started on the Smithsonian Channel -- on a Far East cruise of the Azamara Journey.

Quite entertaining! They are starting out from Singapore ...

Mura

Actually it is one part of a series called Mighty Cruise Ships. Coming is Celebrity Solstice. They have done Paul Gaugin and Le Soleal.

We did the same itinerary as Journey with an extra stop in VN and China, on Regent Voyager and from what I have watched so far we chose the right ship.

What I enjoyed about it was the "backstage" information: more about how the ship is run, the kinds of problems they might run into, etc., rather than a glitzy show from the passenger's viewpoint.

I'll have to watch the next episode on Celebrity.

Mura

We have been following it on Smithsonian Channel -- they showed the Paul Gaugin, which was fascinating. Then Le Soleal, which was a whole other experience to me. I enjoy seeing all this from the comfort of home! Most interesting.

Donna

We have seen a number of those. There's also a network (not well known) called AWE and they have showcased a number of cruise ships. Between the Mighty Ships and the AWE program (forget what it's called - maybe Luxury Cruise Ships?) we've seen RCL, Regent, MSC, Ponant (the ship mentioned above - La Soleal), La Belle de l'Adriatique, and I forget what else. There is a terrible narrator on Luxury Ships who pronounces terrace as ter-RASS, schooner as shooner, and really kills some of the place names. Also, after you've seen a few shows, you realize they cover the exact same routine, so things get a little repetitive There is always a shot of someone getting a spa treatment, for example. I've seen a lot of beautiful ships but in the end a lot of them look the same and have the same features and processes.

The cruise ship that really got my attention was La Soleal - beautiful ship (especially on the outside), and rather interesting, unusual ports and shore activities. I was barely aware of Ponant before. The Paul Gaugin show was pretty good too.

Azamara was interesting because I've always wondered how their Az-amazing Events worked. And yes, as Mura said, it's interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff, like what the captain and assistants have to go through! The Mighty Ships series definitely does a good job of that compared to Luxury Ships.

I keep hoping to see Oceania, but so far, nothing! I have, however, enjoyed getting a preview of Venice and Dubrovnik, which I'll visit in late September, and of course it's fun to see places you've been. Also, I've put Naples on my list of cities I'd like to visit.

The cruise ship that really got my attention was La Soleal - beautiful ship (especially on the outside), and rather interesting, unusual ports and shore activities. I was barely aware of Ponant before. The Paul Gaugin show was pretty good too.

You would probably enjoy Stella Australis itineraries ..they go to some unusual ports

Mura, thanks so much for the heads up about this series. We watched the Norwegian Epic episode last night "on demand" and have set our DVR for next showing of Azamara episode today. We are looking forward to the Celebrity Solstice episode which starts on Sunday, as we are booked on the same Australian cruise next January. Then on April 7 we will enjoy the Crystal Serenity which we have overpaid for once and will enjoy watching others do the same:D

roothy123, Shows how many different points of view there are. I was turned off by Le Soleal. The dining room was small and imo dark. I didn't see any tables for two. The crew was terrific but the passengers:eek: Imagine wanting to hold everyone up until YOUR missing bag turns up. I was not disappointed that it didn't arrive until half-way through the cruise:p.

I have also not heard rave reviews of Le Ponant in general.

roothy123, Shows how many different points of view there are. I was turned off by Le Soleal. The dining room was small and imo dark. I didn't see any tables for two. The crew was terrific but the passengers:eek: Imagine wanting to hold everyone up until YOUR missing bag turns up. I was not disappointed that it didn't arrive until half-way through the cruise:p.

I have also not heard rave reviews of Le Ponant in general.

Thanks for the information. I don't know much about the line, so I'm not going to go out and immediately book a trip with them! I do sometimes wonder about the quality of those smaller, lesser-known ships. I like small ships, but only if the food, service, etc. is up to Oceania standards. I suppose the ones like Wind Surf are nice, but some of the European ones like FTI Cruises (German, sails the Berlin, currently roaming around the Med) are probably less attractive. And yes, perhaps the Ponant captain should NOT have decided to wait for that bag. (I forget, did they make the next port on time? I don't mind a small delay if the ship can still make it to the next port on time, but anything other than that and I get a little testy! I can understand waiting for a bunch of passengers on a plane, but a bag? Forget it!)

Yes, the Le Soleal pax did look like a rather well-heeled group that could be a bit stuffy and very used to being pampered. That's one thing I've never experienced on Oceania. The passengers are generally very well-traveled and while some obviously have more money than I do, nobody has ever been a pain in the butt because of their expectations.

Anyway, at least the ship had a different profile on the outside, and at least it's not the typical 1000 to 3000 ship that I've seen so much of.

I just looked at Smithsonian Channel schedules for Mighty Ships, and it looks like the Azamara episode is being repeated several times soon if anyone wants to take a peek. And I looked for "Dream Cruises" on AWE (A Wealth of Entertainment, or something like that) and don't see any more "Dream Cruises" listed. Maybe they're doing reruns of reruns!

Great show. I always wondered what the interaction between the pilot and captain was in very precarious situations. I have been on Azamazing Evenings and there is a lot involved. You don't need a missing person (lol). Thanks for the heads up on the show. I appreciate it.

First, I checked our Smithsonian Channel, upcoming shows are Celebrity Solstice and Stella Australis. I think there will be more.

As an example of the different reactions we had, the Azamara show dissuaded me from ever sailing that line. Too many occasions where everyone was told to do the same thing -- I.e., everyone eats outside tonight, everyone goes to this Azamazing evening thing, etc. It just seemed like summer camp at sea... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I checked our Smithsonian Channel, upcoming shows are Celebrity Solstice and Stella Australis. I think there will be more.

As an example of the different reactions we had, the Azamara show dissuaded me from ever sailing that line. Too many occasions where everyone was told to do the same thing -- I.e., everyone eats outside tonight, everyone goes to this Azamazing evening thing, etc. It just seemed like summer camp at sea... Lol

I guess I'd be a happy camper, as I love to eat outside, although on the Terrace with perhaps thirty other people is just fine for me, thank you very much! I don't know if I'd like an Azamazing evening with 6 busloads of people converging on one outside place for dinner. No wonder that missing person went and hid in the bushes (or wherever she was).

The Celebrity Solstice one was interesting. A specially trained Australian pilot came on board to make sure the Captain didn't roll over anything in the Great Barrier Reef. They did have some problems, though: The raddicio had bugs in it, so they had to get a new shipment in before the ship could leave. At a tender port, one of the tenders was inoperable for 45 minutes or so, with a huge line backed up in the hallway with unhappy people waiting to go on tours. I was wondering why they didn't just lower another one until I realized the bad one was probably down at the landing, in the way. Then the ocean water had been so hot for so long that they had to reduce power or damage an engine, so they had time to make up. Then (or maybe before) they had to wait for two very slow freighters...but at least the Barrier Reef turned out to be great, and people got to hold koalas at another stop, which looked really cool!

Love the idea of eating outside... If it is my choice. It appeared on the program that everyone was told they would do this... Do that... Do the other... Along with everyone else. I cherish the choices! To each their own - that's what I meant, roothy.

Donna

Love the idea of eating outside... If it is my choice. It appeared on the program that everyone was told they would do this... Do that... Do the other... Along with everyone else. I cherish the choices! To each their own - that's what I meant, roothy.

Donna

I didn't get that impression from the programme, but if it did create that idea it would be incorrect.

The Azamazing Evenings are not only free but optional. There are certainly people who do not wish to partake and make that choice.

The outdoor area at the stern is open most nights for a special themed dinner as an alternative to the MDR. Of course the specialty restaurants are also a choice.

There is an open deck party (White Night) one evening but it is also optional.

There may be very good reasons not to sail Azamara. In our opinion regimentation isn't one of them.

I didn't get that impression from the programme, but if it did create that idea it would be incorrect.

The Azamazing Evenings are not only free but optional. There are certainly people who do not wish to partake and make that choice.

The outdoor area at the stern is open most nights for a special themed dinner as an alternative to the MDR. Of course the specialty restaurants are also a choice.

There is an open deck party (White Night) one evening but it is also optional.

There may be very good reasons not to sail Azamara. In our opinion regimentation isn't one of them.

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks for clarifying!

You are very welcome.

Reconsidering the programme, I am increasingly more sympathetic to the view that it created the impression that a lot of activities were "laid on" for the passengers and perhaps compulsory.

We, of course, were looking at the show from a different perspective.

We did find the attempt to create "drama" about navigating the ship or locating the woman who had boarded the incorrect bus etc. somewhat humorous, but wondered if strangers to Azamara or even cruising might develop an unwarranted concern about safety.

You are very welcome.

Reconsidering the programme, I am increasingly more sympathetic to the view that it created the impression that a lot of activities were "laid on" for the passengers and perhaps compulsory.

We, of course, were looking at the show from a different perspective.

We did find the attempt to create "drama" about navigating the ship or locating the woman who had boarded the incorrect bus etc. somewhat humorous, but wondered if strangers to Azamara or even cruising might develop an unwarranted concern about safety.

I thought the same thing, newbie cruisers would be turned off or scared by the port descriptions and the passengers "almost left behind" or "lost". I very much enjoyed seeing the Azamazing evening and the on deck dinner party, unique experiences I would enjoy. The discussions about the local pilot limitations was pretty honest and I was surprised Azamara allowed this to be filmed.

I've seen quite a few Mighty Ship shows and they are all Interesting. I just saw one featuring a TA crossing on Silver Seas that had fabulous cinematography of the ports. Previously I enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes of Oasis of the Seas, Disney ships and Paul Gauguin. The Oasis show focused on passengers who showed up to board without proper documentation and the shoreside staff attempts to resolve the problem.

Edited by sammiedawg