Need Answers Quickly!

RumpunchGirl

I'm posting this for my sister who is not a cruisecritic member. She has never been on any cruise in her life. She is scared to death of being on the big ocean cruise ships, but thought maybe a river cruise would be doable. She's been looking at some of the Viking itineraries over the last year and talking to a travel agent about them. Yesterday her TA called with what's seems like a good offer. It only came up because someone just cancelled.

Sailing on the Viking Jarl, 8 days on June 14, 2015

French Balcony Cabin, Cat D

includes 6 guided tours

Includes travel insurance

RT Airfare to Nuremberg $95 each from Minnesota

Cost for cruise for 2 approx. $7000

I've only sailed on the big ocean cruise ships so I really have no experience with River cruise pricing. Is this reasonable pricing for this type of cruise? I thought it sounded pretty good. She has to decided by this afternoon or the offer goes to someone else! Thanks for any input you might have. :)

Edited by RumpunchGirl

I'm posting this for my sister who is not a cruisecritic member. She has never been on any cruise in her life. She is scared to death of being on the big ocean cruise ships, but thought maybe a river cruise would be doable. She's been looking at some of the Viking itineraries over the last year and talking to a travel agent about them. Yesterday her TA called with what's seems like a good offer. It only came up because someone just cancelled.

includes 6 guided tours

I've only sailed on the big ocean cruise ships so I really have no experience with River cruise pricing. Is this reasonable pricing for this type of cruise? I thought it sounded pretty good. She has to decided by this afternoon or the offer goes to someone else! Thanks for any input you might have. :)

No not really exceptional!

Hello,

just jumping in quickly about the issue with ocean cruise ships. River cruising is very different, if your sister is alright about flying, it is doable. I wonder what the problem is. If it is crowds: there are very few people on a river cruise ship compared to an ocean cruiser. If it is size of ship or motion sickness: neither is anything like an ocean cruise®. The only problem there might be the sounds when being in a lock at night. One gets used to that quickly.

The prize: the experienced cruisers from your country are happy to comment, I am sure. Have you asked the TA to compare it to other companies? Or check yourself for the Danube. At that time of year many similar cruises are available (I mean theoretically, they might be sold out).

notamermaid

I would research options and not be in such a rush personally. Has the TA offered any other options on other lines?

As for flights, free is not always a great deal IMO. What are the specifics for connections, available seating, etc.? No way I would fly in a 3-5-3 coach class configuration on an international flight nor would I accept connections that are not comfortable for me, or airlines I would not choose were I making my own reservations.

While that date is sold out, the original price for that category cabin is listed as $3556 per person. It's a slight discount plus the insurance, but a good deal on the airfare. Today I received an email from Viking for the 15-day Grand European tour for $3999 cabin categories E and F, with free airfare (that I would guess would cost your sister $95).

As a comparison, for the 15 day European Jewels Rhine-Danube cruise on Uniworld, I was quoted just over $3800 pp including port charges, and that includes gratuities and all alcoholic beverages. Airfare wasn't on sale, though.

So what I'm understanding is the airfare cost is great but the actually cruise price is so so? I think the cost is a little higher than the ocean cruises I've been on. If you break it down to a per person per day $ amount. My next 7 day cruise on NCL in an Owners Suite is $4355 for 2 (includes all those awesome suite perks!) but does not include excursions, or gratuity. We fly for free with airline miles. It's hard to compare cost because they are so different.

Her issue with ocean cruises is THE OCEAN! lol!! :D When she went to Hawaii she wouldn't go in the ocean. She gets freaked out by all the hype when there's news about, for example, the Costa Concordia sinking, or Carnival having a ship without power floating around for days. The extreme size (how many decks) of the ocean cruise ships is overwhelming. Not the amount of people but she thinks they look like they can just tip over. She was so worried about me most recently when I was on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas in Australia. She thought when I snorkeled the GBR I would be attacked by sharks or something! But the size of the River cruise ships is not as intimidating. I think she should just book and not over think it. I know she will just love it an who knows, maybe one day she'll join me on an Ocean Cruise!

Thanks for all the input!

So what I'm understanding is the airfare cost is great but the actually cruise price is so so? I think the cost is a little higher than the ocean cruises I've been on.

If the air is through Viking then in reality they are "buying down" the cost of flights by showing a low air price when it is really a big cruise discount. The airlines are not the ones offering a $95 fare.

So what I'm understanding is the airfare cost is great but the actually cruise price is so so? I think the cost is a little higher than the ocean cruises I've been on. If you break it down to a per person per day $ amount. My next 7 day cruise on NCL in an Owners Suite is $4355 for 2 (includes all those awesome suite perks!) but does not include excursions, or gratuity. We fly for free with airline miles. It's hard to compare cost because they are so different.

Her issue with ocean cruises is THE OCEAN! lol!! :D When she went to Hawaii she wouldn't go in the ocean. She gets freaked out by all the hype when there's news about, for example, the Costa Concordia sinking, or Carnival having a ship without power floating around for days. The extreme size (how many decks) of the ocean cruise ships is overwhelming. Not the amount of people but she thinks they look like they can just tip over. She was so worried about me most recently when I was on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas in Australia. She thought when I snorkeled the GBR I would be attacked by sharks or something! But the size of the River cruise ships is not as intimidating. I think she should just book and not over think it. I know she will just love it an who knows, maybe one day she'll join me on an Ocean Cruise!

Thanks for all the input!

You can't really compare ocean and river cruise pricing. The river cruise ships only have capacity for up to 200 pax, while the ocean ships hold thousand(s). Therefore, the operating costs of each cruise, divided by the number of pax, is greater per person on a river cruise than an ocean cruise, not even taking into consideration the stateroom category.

You can't really compare ocean and river cruise pricing. The river cruise ships only have capacity for up to 200 pax, while the ocean ships hold thousand(s). Therefore, the operating costs of each cruise, divided by the number of pax, is greater per person on a river cruise than an ocean cruise, not even taking into consideration the stateroom category.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks!

If the air is through Viking then in reality they are "buying down" the cost of flights by showing a low air price when it is really a big cruise discount. The airlines are not the ones offering a $95 fare.

I have no idea what the actually offer is. But sis called last night asking for info if possible. I don't know what airline it is, I didn't see any of the details. It was just her TA calling her with this offer which is so unfamiliar to me, I couldn't offer any advice. Thanks for responding. I think she's going to book it!

We looked at a Mediterranean cruise, but I decided once we priced out all the excursions and beverages, the price of a river cruise wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Plus after our last cruise on Oasis of the Seas, even though we were in a suite and had the "front of the line" perks, we decided to stay away from the huge crowds on ocean ships for awhile. I'm excited about taking a cruise with only 130 other people!

includes 6 guided tours

My Mom always told me "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" I just have a few thoughts about the insurance and the air.

Insurance: probably the minimum policy available, which could mean that's it's for cancellation only and would NOT include any medical treatment of any kind should your sister need it....keeping in mind that Medicare does NOT apply outside the US.

Air Fare: $95 from Minnesota to Nuremburg just sounds too good to be true! I would want to know things like what airline am I flying? HOW MANY PLANE CHANGES? I'm thinking you'll have at least two: one in US and one in Europe.

I am suspicious of any salesperson who tells me this offer is only good for the next 24 hours, or less. If there's a good deal today, there will probably be a good deal tomorrow. Especially if there's cabins available.

Thanks everyone who responded. I passed along all the advice you gave to my sister. She had been looking into this type of cruise for the last 2 years, had talked to her TA several times about it. She took the leap and booked it. She is comfortable with all flights she will be taking. She added on a 2 night hotel stay in Nuremberg. I know she will love the experience. I'm still hoping to get her on the ocean with me some day!:D

While that date is sold out, the original price for that category cabin is listed as $3556 per person. It's a slight discount plus the insurance, but a good deal on the airfare. Today I received an email from Viking for the 15-day Grand European tour for $3999 cabin categories E and F, with free airfare (that I would guess would cost your sister $95).

As a comparison, for the 15 day European Jewels Rhine-Danube cruise on Uniworld, I was quoted just over $3800 pp including port charges, and that includes gratuities and all alcoholic beverages. Airfare wasn't on sale, though.

Can you please email me that promo from Viking--I got it a week ago and cant find it now!

thanks frank

fb0075@aol.com

Edited by fb0075

My two cents.

For a river cruise it's the total cost that matters, not how the cruise line bundles things. You need to figure getting there (air fare), plus cruise fare, plus ship board tips (crew and program/cruise director/manager), plus any extra cost excursions you plan to take.

A $5,000 trip is a $5,000 trip . . .

All inclusive at $5k including air

Cruise fare $3,500, air at $1,200 and tips at $300 with no cost excursions

Cruise fare $3,100, air $1,200, tips $300 and excursions at $400

. . . All comes out the same.

We typically do river cruises "last minute." That makes airfare much more expensive to purchase than using cruise line air, so we go with them rather than DIY. Regardless of preference, the out-of-pocket cost needs to be included.

Insurance is trickier. What exactly does the cruise line insurance cover and how are you paid? If you cancel, do you get a full refund or do you get a credit for a future cruise? Does it include medical? Medical evacuation? Lost or delayed luggage? Trip delay? Free sounds good, but you might still be on the hook for some costs. So far in our travels it has been less expensive to buy better coverage trip insurance on our own than through the cruise line.

I am glad she booked it! Travel is an adventure! She will enjoy it! Hopefully in the future she will go on an ocean cruise with you! My sister and I took one together and had a wonderful time. Of course she did not like the balcony!