Help, they rebooked our flight for today's sailing on Regal

twoblklabs

Hi, we are booked to sail today on the Regal at 4pm. We were suppose to get into FLL @ 1045. We rebooked getting into Miami @ 1pm. We looked at it is about a thirty minute drive. Does any think we would still be able to make. We called Princess and they were pretty useless... Do you think getting to the port by 3pm. their final boarding is possible?

stressed here...

Less than 30 miles. I don't know if it has to be an expensive can or there is a shuttle. If Princess can't book you on a shuttle, call Avis, etc. ask if you can drop a car at Port Everglades. It try calling Miami airport and ask about quick transportation. Don't panic, one way or the other, you can make it.

You said Princess is "useless". Did you book your air through Princess? If not, I'm not sure what you expect them to do or say? Flying in day of cruise with independent air arrangements is taking a risk.

Maybe start googling car services to see if you can line one up. I would think that although more expensive than renting a car, it would be quicker than standing in line to rent, then having to return it and shuttle over to Port Everglades. Better to spend more and make the ship.

Good luck!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I thought TSA required checkin 90 minutes or 2 hours before sailing?

Personally, I would not have switched to the later flight. It is too close for me. The flight does not have to be too delayed for you to miss the ship.

Personally, I would not have switched to the later flight. It is too close for me. The flight does not have to be too delayed for you to miss the ship.

That's what I read also. In NYC I witnessed passengers boarding right at 4PM which was the scheduled departure time. :confused:

1. If you land on time and your luggage is there you should make it. Pay for a private cab. It's Sunday so traffic should be fine.

2. Call Princess when you land and advise them of your situation.

3. If this is a Princess EZ Air flight princess should wait for you.

I second sknight's advice.

Get a cab and tell him your problem.

Also call Princess once you're in the cab and ask them to let the ship know.

If you have a second once you've boarded please come back and let us know that you made it!

Edited by chamima

we had no choice as the next flight to Fort Lauderdale was landing at 230

No we booked by ourselves so they won't wait. tab it is

Princess isn't "useless" in this case......since you booked the airplane on your own, Princess isn't responsible and neither is the airline. Besides, pretty risky arriving the same day as the cruise. Just about everyone knows to arrive at least one day before. Sorry the blame is on you this time around.

Why don't you just prearrange a car service to be waiting for you at the airport? May cost a little more than a cab, but it might improve your chances of making it in time.

Sorry but I disagree.

The cabs are lined up . If you pre-arrange a car service you have to call them when you land to tell them to send the car out.

And I can tell you from experience :( that they don't always come quickly.

A cab is the quickest way!

Last year during a horrible storm we were rerouted by the airlines to land in Miami vs. FLL. There is a newer rental car company at the Miami airport called Sixt or something close to that (Google it). We were able to quickly and easily rent a nice car for $40 - yes - $40 - drive it to FLL and leave it there. Way cheaper than a cab. Can't hurt to check it out.

Sorry but I disagree.

The cabs are lined up . If you pre-arrange a car service you have to call them when you land to tell them to send the car out.

And I can tell you from experience :( that they don't always come quickly.

A cab is the quickest way!

I agree as the taxi will be the waiting for a fare.

Jump in and go.

Please let us know that you made it.

Good Luck!!

Mike:)

Hi, we are booked to sail today on the Regal at 4pm. We were suppose to get into FLL @ 1045. We rebooked getting into Miami @ 1pm. We looked at it is about a thirty minute drive. Does any think we would still be able to make. We called Princess and they were pretty useless... Do you think getting to the port by 3pm. their final boarding is possible?

stressed here...

This is the chance you take when you fly in the day of. ;)

Agree with the others: if you land on time and get your luggage quickly (Miami is actually pretty good about this) and grab a cab you should make it on time. We've used cabs, private car services, shuttles and transfers, and a cab is definitely the quickest option in a situation such as this.

It's about a 40 minute drive from MIA to Port Everglades on a Sunday (maybe a tiny bit less if the cabbie is "expedient"). Plus, you should be arriving after the usual crush of vehicles trying to enter the port, so there shouldn't be much of a wait to get through the security gate. Remember to have your passports and boarding passes ready for the cab driver when you get to the entry gate to the port. Anything to speed things up. But, if all goes smoothly, you should be okay. Well, I'm sure you'll be a bit nervous and cutting it a little close, but you should make it in time.

I also know what it's like scrambling to make alternate flight arrangements when an airline changes flights on you. Sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances. Fingers crossed for you. Best of luck.

Princess isn't "useless" in this case......since you booked the airplane on your own, Princess isn't responsible and neither is the airline. Besides, pretty risky arriving the same day as the cruise. Just about everyone knows to arrive at least one day before. Sorry the blame is on you this time around.

While Princess may not be responsible, I think it is pretty bold to think that "just about everyone" knows to arrive early. I've cruised a lot and only a very small percentage of passengers arrive early. For some it isn't feasible due to cost or vacation/work requirements.

There is risk in not booking with EZAir, but again, for those on a budget, independent air arrangements can make the difference between cruising and not being able to afford to go.

For the OP, good luck. Concur with the advice on a cab, get your luggage, tell the taxi queue dispatcher where you are going and roll. It is a Sunday so you can expect minimum traffic. Also, get the Princess customer service number dialed up in your phone, call once you land.

GOOD LUCK!!

I agree as the taxi will be the waiting for a fare.

Jump in and go.

Please let us know that you made it.

Good Luck!!

Mike:)

Cab is what I would do. By the time you go to a rental car desk, stand in line, fill out paperwork, get keys and go find your car you can be in the cab driving on the highway.

What a terrible stress to have on your first day of vacation! Hoping it goes smoothly for you, and the cruise will be fantastic.

I hope you make the ship.

For others reading this thread I'd offer the following advice. It's probably too late for you, but I would consider just flying with a carry on in this situation. Before kids, I did a 10 day med cruise with just a carry on. I brought clothes that could be washed with shampoo in the bathtub and line dried without a problem. You can try to tell the front desk you couldn't take luggage due to airline trouble and they might provide you with some essentials (they don't have to, but it is worth asking politely). Otherwise you can pay for things at inflated ship store prices, which would probably be cheaper than trying to catch up to the ship without insurance.

I would agree with pp that you should call princess immediately upon landing and tell them you are on your way. If they have any leeway they will try to help you catch the ship. Best of luck to you