Help, they rebooked our flight for today's sailing on Regal

twoblklabs

I'd much rather pay the cost of a hotel night than risk the disappointment I would feel if I missed the ship.

Even when I am boarding a cruise in FLL, which is a 40 minute flight from my home airport, I still go down a day early. I enjoy having a nice night's rest at a beachside hotel before boarding the ship.

And you avoid the nightmare of a line of thunderstorms rolling across the state from coast to coast and having airports closed and flights diverted because of the lightning. Suddenly, that 40 minute flight turns into a 3 hour delay before you even board and you are late arriving at Fort Lauderdale on the day of the cruise.

I hope all is well with these folks too. Back in the day when I started cruising, it was the norm to fly to the port on embarkation day. You went to your personal travel agency, they booked the cruise, air and that was it. For some reason we started flying into the city of embarkation the day or even two days before just to get acclamated, and perhaps see some of the city, have a nice dinner and rest. When I flew the day of embarkation, it took so much out of me, I was in bed before dinner. I had a cruise out of New York when Superstorm Sandy was headed there. I changed my flight from the Tuesday(day after the hit) to Sunday (the day before) one of the last flights to land at LaGuardia. Hunkered down in the storm and waited for updates from the cruiseline. Finally..they opened Manhattan for Friday, Brooklyn was too damaged to open, and got a car from our hotel to Pier 88, got raped for the fare, but we boarded and were on our way....

Flying to any port on the east coast would require a red eye from SFO (west coast) to get to the port on time, with any minimal space left for delays and the time differences. When we've flown in same day in the past, I felt our first day on the ship was a waste because of the jet lag and need for numerous naps. I know it sometimes is impossible due to costs and work/family commitments but flying in a day early really can make a difference in how you enjoy the beginnings of your cruise. There's rarely a port that doesn't have something interesting to explore or a restaurant worthy of trying so just think of that as an extra day for your holiday to begin. I'm always ready to fly home, though, and eager to get back same day.

Edited by iceleven

Way back when using cruise ship air arrangements meant not knowing the flight til close to sailing time and higher price and usually not very good flights (ie re eye, etc). Nowadays it has greatly improved with very competitive pricing and large selection of flights. In addition, security of next port protection just in case. Also DW & my experience is that even when flight issues occur such as flight leaving late, Princess will do everything possible to help you make the connecting flight.

I hope all is well with these folks too. Back in the day when I started cruising, it was the norm to fly to the port on embarkation day. You went to your personal travel agency, they booked the cruise, air and that was it. For some reason we started flying into the city of embarkation the day or even two days before just to get acclamated, and perhaps see some of the city, have a nice dinner and rest. When I flew the day of embarkation, it took so much out of me, I was in bed before dinner. I had a cruise out of New York when Superstorm Sandy was headed there. I changed my flight from the Tuesday(day after the hit) to Sunday (the day before) one of the last flights to land at LaGuardia. Hunkered down in the storm and waited for updates from the cruiseline. Finally..they opened Manhattan for Friday, Brooklyn was too damaged to open, and got a car from our hotel to Pier 88, got raped for the fare, but we boarded and were on our way....

When we first started cruising in the mid '70's we always flew in the day of the cruise. I remember being so excited if we got to see the ship in port from the plane. Now if I was flying in and seeing the ship already docked I'd be a nervous wreck. Of course, in those days there were numerous daily non-stop flights on a couple of different airlines to FLL that were often half empty. Now we always leave at least two days early and more if it's an international flight.

Any idea of when the ship will be back in, so we can hear the tale of the mad rush from Miami to the cruise ship?

(I'm typing on the Polyannaish concept that they made the ship, but blew the internet budget on the cab....)

hello everyone, we did make it, we arrived at the port just after 2 pm.... fun time was had and now awaiting our flight home!

That's great news! Obviously from the number of posts on this thread, many people were concerned about you and will be glad to hear you made it and enjoyed your cruise. Safe travels home!

hello everyone, we did make it, we arrived at the port just after 2 pm.... fun time was had and now awaiting our flight home!

Great!!

So happy you made it on time. I thought you would make it and you did.:D

Thanks so much for returning and letting us know you did in fact make it.

Mike:)

thanks for all your good wishes, live and learn and it was very stressful, we also need to thank Mileo the cab driver who got us from Miami airport to port Everglades in 30 minutes! We won't mention some of the laws he broke!

thanks for all your good wishes, live and learn and it was very stressful, we also need to thank Mileo the cab driver who got us from Miami airport to port Everglades in 30 minutes! We won't mention some of the laws he broke!

Good to hear.

There were a few days last week when I was checking this thread almost hourly in hopes you'd post about your success! :o

What did you learn from your experience?

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale on the same day as departure a few years back for our 1st Princess cruise and now can't believe we did that! Never again. Have been worried about you since the first post. Thrilled you made it and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Virgil

we learned we would win the amazing race! but... next time arrive the day before and relax

Definitely something one doesn't want to learn the hard way. Glad it was just stress that could be alleviated with a good tropical drink, and not added stress of an additional flight and a missed day or two of your cruise.