Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I couldn't give up a whole amazing cruise just for a couple extra fees

It was Love2Cruz2015's money and apparently Love2Cruz2015 didn't feel the need to consult you first.

Besides, Love2Cruz2015 may not be giving up a cruise, just changing lines, in which case Love2Cruz2015 has not given up anything.

The bottom line is, the rest of us are not going to base our decisions based on your set of values.

When I said that Sheehan cared about the customers, I based that on the facts that I knew about Sheehan (my perception), and how the NCL was before Sheehan when it was under Colin Veitch from 2000-2008.

Also I based my opinion on how Sheehan had treated people in the past. How he has a reputation of being the person that you can talk to. A true people person. When Sheehan took over from Veitch in 2008, NCL prices were dropping and the country was in a recession. Sheehan had to focus on deal with bottom line to start making NCL profitable. Veitch concern's was building the brand. So finacially NCL was not in a good place, also the company moral was horrible, because of Veitch management style. Additionally, Apollo's first directive to Sheehan was to replace 11 out of 14 of his top management. Andy Stuart, now CEO , survived the cut.

First thing Sheehan was concerned about was how can he "trim the budget" without effecting passenger experience. So what he did was freeze staff salaries, reduced travel for enteretainment and off shore personnel. He did that which wasn't popular yet he was still highly respected by his entire staff.

He did not like FDR give additional fees, price highest ect. Noted differences.

Plus i know other examples and situations about sheehan and his management style. The sucess of NCL is directly related to Kevin Sheehans mangement style that is a PROVEN fact.

So when you challenged my OPINION and said "What's even more ridiculous in the fact that now we are getting the "Sheehan cared about the customers" line. It's a non-provable statement" ,

then you followed up with this statement ""Nobody here can prove or disprove that these changes wouldn't happen anyway if Sheehan was still at the top"

Sheehan just signed a 3 year contract with bonuses. His management goes against the grain of what is currently being done with NCL. Apollo Management is ultimately the Ruler, so if one person wont do it then they will find someone who will.

You made very bold statements challenging my opinions (perceptions) which I based upon my cruise experience with NCL, and the history I know about NCL, but yet you have no cruising history, no apparantly knowledge of NCL or ship board relationships, which makes what you said (to me) not creditible and somewhat insulting.

Yes while i agree you can opinions on the Room Service charges which was relevant to the situation, your other opinions regarding NCL,Sheehan and there business practices not so much.

NHARIZONA for the record I don't require or need any VALIDATION of any opinion that i express.:rolleyes:

Actually, it was under Sheehan's that lobster, escargot and other food items were removed from the MDR and/or Buffet. Also, the DSC went up straight from $10 to $12 under his watch. Other service and program cuts happen under his watch too.

I mean, Del Rio is no angel but Sheehan wasn't no better either - people seem to have put on rose-colored glasses and forgot that services / products was cut under him for years. Del Rio only raise prices so far and fired office staff in Miami; but actual services / products were added not reduced ( room menu with fee but with additional food products and Asian /Noodle bars going free) with ship staff not fired / let go (yet).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

IFFYGIRL, I wasn't personally validating your opinion, I was just saying that everyone's opinion is just as valuable and important as another's, no matter which side of the coin they are on and they shouldn't be told differently or told not to post, if you feel differently then, I respect your opinion (just as I would anyone else) and the right to say it.

Yes everyone does have the right to their opinion I completely agree. It's their opinion. I will never disrespect anyone's opinion even I don't share that person's opinion. This RS situation effects everyone and they have a right to it whether be for it or against it. I don't also have the right to tell anyone how they should feel about, nor should anyone have a need to justify how they feel. If no one agrees with my opinion that is fine too I don't mind standing alone.

As I wrote in earlier lengthy post I took issue with a particular comment which I made reference. That was the reason I made the comment I made. But I felt I needed to elaborate in the spirit of the boards.

I'm hoping this post will push the total of number responses closer to the 2000 mark before the end of the day:eek::)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by tiffygirl

Hi All

I'm going to have to go dark for a while, since I leave for OZ in 2 days for 5 days in Sydney before our 27 day cruise on RCI Radiance of Seas from Sydney to Vancuover. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the 3 1/2 hours of free drinks and hors 'dourves in the private Concierge Lounge every day ............. LOL

I may check back in here for one last post when you hit page 100.

"Until that time, Eustis, until that time"

Great line from Jackie Gleason to Steve McQueen in "Soldier In The Rain"

John

John, it has been a pleasure reading your posts on this thread over the past week or so. I looked up your cruise and it appears to have a few sea days ... which I very much like. Have a good cruise and I look forward to seeing your wake on another thread when you return.

I'm not going to get too involved in the Sheehan v Del Rio pissing contest. I do not own stock in NCLH and I do not have a cruise booked or a FCR to use.

All I will say is that when I met Kevin Sheehan is that he struck me as a genuine guy who would stop and talk to passengers and would listen to what they said (whether he acted on that feedback is probably the great unanswered question).

There does seem to have been a change of ethos since he left - not for the better IMHO.

Hi All

I'm going to have to go dark for a while, since I leave for OZ in 2 days for 5 days in Sydney before our 27 day cruise on RCI Radiance of Seas from Sydney to Vancuover. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the 3 1/2 hours of free drinks and hors 'dourves in the private Concierge Lounge every day ............. LOL

I may check back in here for one last post when you hit page 100.

"Until that time, Eustis, until that time"

Great line from Jackie Gleason to Steve McQueen in "Soldier In The Rain"

John

Let us hope (for your sake and theirs) they do not try to spring a new un-announced charge on you.:D

It has been fun reading your posts and discussing this - have a great vacation and relax. I need to get to Sydney to visit my brother sometime soon.

Edited by SteveH2508

but the person seems more credible when they have at least taken ONE cruise. but to have not taken zero cruises, one doesn't have anything to base his opinion on nor dispute another's opinion who have cruised and understand what is actually going on.

but whatever.

I prefer to listen to, debate and interact with an individual who has some experience with the subject we are discussing. One of the questions that I try to remember to ask when I hear anyone saying something is "What knowledge does this person have, what is their background or why/how did they arrive at this opinion?" These things lead to a person being "credible" or not. I am reminded of people's comments on some NCL threads that say, "Transatlantic cruises are boring." When I look at some people's experience, they have never been on a transatlantic cruise. Do they have the appropriate background to give this opinion that TAs are boring. Me thinks not. But this doesn't slow them down at all in offering this ignorant, non-experience based opinion. I try not to be disrespectful to them ... but I don't give them much value except to say to myself, "For this person, the thought of a TA cruise equates to 'boring'.

Regarding the RSC, I hope that we will be hearing from NCL in the near future as to whether this will be a permanent change or not. I don't think that we will hear "why" or "how" the decision was arrived at but I hope they will interact enough so we won't have to "read into events" to come to a more credible conclusion than we can right now.

I agree completely. I'm sure it's because I'm younger and haven't had a vast amount of cruises under my belt that I am not that concerned with these changes yet and have an attitude of not worrying about it until other changes are put in place rather than coming up with all these what if scenarios to try and worry about. Just because "A" is put into place, doesn't mean a hypothetical B, C and D will be. I also don't have the exposure to what used to be with cruising. My knowledge of cruising is specialty restaurants and "nickel and diming" and I still love it and know what to expect (the unexpected - Big Brother shout out!) But not worry about it till it happens. I also have a demeanor of if it doesn't affect me, I'm not that concerned about it. I can't be concerned about everyone else's issues because that would be pretty depressing!

I agree with you to some extent, but those who love to cruise and have done that for many years feel a strong sense of community with their fellow sailors. And just because, for example, I do not sail in the Haven would not mean I would be blasé and shrug my shoulders if NCL suddenly did some things which affected them, but not me. I would probably be protesting right along side them. And hopefully, when something affected ME, they would be supportive as well. We don't always agree on everything, but most of us are interested and want to stay informed.

I'm sure you are a good citizen of your community and your country and can be concerned over issues that don't effect you today, but may tomorrow. The cruising community is the same.

I agree with you to some extent, but those who love to cruise and have done that for many years feel a strong sense of community with their fellow sailors. And just because, for example, I do not sail in the Haven would not mean I would be blasé and shrug my shoulders if NCL suddenly did some things which affected them, but not me. I would probably be protesting right along side them. And hopefully, when something affected ME, they would be supportive as well. We don't always agree on everything, but most of us are interested and want to stay informed.

I'm sure you are a good citizen of your community and your country and can be concerned over issues that don't effect you today, but may tomorrow. The cruising community is the same.

I guess I look at things differently. For example, when NCL banned smoking on the balconies, it didn't affect me because I don't smoke nor had I ever had a bad experience with smokers next door, but there is no way in heck I would support those that were affected, just because we are all in the cruising community. I think people should stand up for what they believe, not necessarily what others do, even if they are not affected by the issue. Edited by NLH Arizona

I guess I look at things differently. For example, when NCL banned smoking on the balconies, it didn't affect me because I don't smoke nor had I ever had a bad experience with smokers next door, but there is no way in heck I would support those that were affected, just because we are all in the cruising community. I think people should stand up for what they believe, not necessarily what others do, even if they are not affected by the issue.

I remember that cruise critic post, i was one of the few on here upset while everyone else was throwing a party. People really do treat smokers like lepers

I just got off the phone with a NCL Personal Cruise Consultant and explained in a much detailed account of why I decided to cancel my Spring Break cruise. It was a very candid discussion and though I can't predict whether she will take it "up the chain"...she does believe that NCL will not do anything to jeopardize new business and their current customers. I told her I am holding to see if all of these fees get ironed out before I make a decision on whether I will try NCL.

She'll call me back in a week. She also said that they will know within the next week whether these fees will be implemented fleet wide or whether they will be revised/cancelled etc.

Meh, we'll see.:rolleyes:

Do you think someone in a call center really cares why you cancelled? They can't change anything. All they hear is blah blah blah....and think "I just lost a commission, when is this lady going to get off her soapbox"

Do them a favor and leave them alone. Don't waste their time when they are just trying to make a living.

I just got off the phone with a NCL Personal Cruise Consultant and explained in a much detailed account of why I decided to cancel my Spring Break cruise. It was a very candid discussion and though I can't predict whether she will take it "up the chain"...she does believe that NCL will not do anything to jeopardize new business and their current customers. I told her I am holding to see if all of these fees get ironed out before I make a decision on whether I will try NCL.

She'll call me back in a week. She also said that they will know within the next week whether these fees will be implemented fleet wide or whether they will be revised/cancelled etc.

Meh, we'll see.:rolleyes:

I hope that when they call back you will post the results here.

When I first started cruising on NCL, I was told of a personal cruise consultant that was just plain outstanding. She was based in Arizona or Nevada as I recall. She had a real knack of personal service. She got moved up to a managerial position and is now out of sales. I hope your PCC is a great one.

I hesitated posting this because I also thought we were still in the "testing" phase of the RS charges, but this email was sent to TAs from NCL yesterday. It was shared with me. The subject of the email was: Update on Room Service Offerings.

Hello <name of agent>,

As a valued travel partner we want to provide you with an update on our room service offerings.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Regards,

Industry Development Team

Norwegian Cruise Line

When I read that, and I've read it a few times now, it feels like the decision has been made. :confused::confused:

Edited by TravlGrl

It was a semi private internet (skype?) briefing of travel agents by Andy Stuart. It was reported way way back in the thread. I got the impression that it couldn't be shared with the public since it was off the record. But the poster seem to infer it raised more questions than answers.

If the poster is out there, will you please chime in?

Hi there! I totally missed your reply to my question. Sorry about that! Are you talking about the TA webinar last week? I posted about that. That wasn't a press conference. It was pre-scheduled webinar that NCL holds on a regular basis as part of their Partners First program. The RS charges were discussed, but so were other topics (Star coming out of drydock, married at sea program, online group bookings, Asian/Noodle restaurants complimentary starting mid-April, sales promos), and the RS charges were not the focal point. It was literally their regular "industry update" webinar they hold for their TAs. If you're talking about something else, then I totally apologize! When you said "press conference" I googled that and couldn't find anything and really wanted to see it!

What I did post, if you are indeed referring to it, was this -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46129906&postcount=1129 This was not stated in the context of a press conference at all, so maybe you're talking about a different post. :confused:

Edited by TravlGrl

I hesitated posting this because I also thought we were still in the "testing" phase of the RS charges, but this email was sent to TAs from NCL yesterday. It was shared with me. The subject of the email was: Update on Room Service Offerings.

Hello <name of agent>,

As a valued travel partner we want to provide you with an update on our room service offerings.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

When I read that, and I've read it a few times now, it feels like the decision has been made. :confused::confused:

Yes, i got this same letter. I think is a robo letter sent to anyone that asks. I got this letter when i sent an email of concern regarding these fees to the NCL facebook page. I wrote a private message and within an hour i got the above response. :-(

Yes, i got this same letter. I think is a robo letter sent to anyone that asks. I got this letter when i sent an email of concern regarding these fees to the NCL facebook page. I wrote a private message and within an hour i got the above response. :-(

Aah...so it's just a form letter they're sending out. Good to know!

Hello <name of agent>,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Tralgirl

Thank you for the update on the ongoing saga. While your info is of great significance (and runs contrary to earlier, less authoritative sources) at least it's appears written by someone who has been briefed by the "Secret Illuminatti Commitee within Norwegian Crusie Line" LOL

BUT, it still does not answer the "hidden meaning" question" :

Does the rule appy to Suites on ships that do not have Haven or All Suites on ships where half are Haven and half are not Haven

John

Edited by Uniall

Tralgirl

Thank you for the update on the ongoing saga. While your info is of great significance (and runs contrary to earlier, less authoritative sources) at least it's appears written by someone who has been briefed by the "Secret Illuminatti Commitee within Norwegian Crusie Line" LOL

BUT, it still does not answer the "hidden meaning" question" :

Does the rule appy to Suites on ships that do not have Haven or All Suites on ships where half are Haven and half are not Haven

John

*giggle* love the "committee name"! What's worse though is that it appears they're sending this to anyone who asks, as evidenced by qtaromar1970, which kind of makes the whole letter meaningless. It feels like a way to placate us, at least for the time being. I don't know. *shrug* and you're right; it doesn't answer the suite question. :(

Edited by TravlGrl

Uniall i don't know if you have been on the NCL Facebook page but according to the Trolls on that page who call themselves NCL FANS it does not include SUITES, HAVEN, Villas etc...but since i never stay in any of those i have not bothered to find out more information :)

Edited by qtaromar1970

Uniall i don't know if you have been on the NCL Facebook page but according to the Trolls on that page who call themselves NCL FANS it does not include SUITES, HAVEN, Villas etc...but since i never stay in any of those i have not bothered to find out more information :)

qtaromar:

thank you for the FB chatter. without you heads up, I would not have known. (I've avoided FB since the my family's safety was threatened as result of my former career)

John

PS

Does your title infer that you are (were) the go to guy for a case of beer and a bottle of whiskey when at sea for 3 months or more? LOL

Hello <name of agent>,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

I guess they decided they liked the $7.95 charged on Norwegian Breakaway instead of the

$4.95 "test" on board the Norwegian Getaway. Big surprise. :mad:

qtaromar:

thank you for the FB chatter. without you heads up, I would not have known. (I've avoided FB since the my family's safety was threatened as result of my former career)

John

PS

Does your title infer that you are (were) the go to guy for a case of beer and a bottle of whiskey when at sea for 3 months or more? LOL

LOL i wish...

Edited by qtaromar1970

Hello <name of agent>,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

It says nothing about any ships other than Breakaway and Getaway, so I'm not sure any decision has been made.