Getting a refund of a prepaid DSC?

bobg529

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to request a refund of the DSC I prepaid on my next cruise before I sail? I would rather avoid what I predict will be an EXTREMELY long line onboard the ship. Of course this is a silly question since they will automatically charge me once I get the final bill, just for my "convenience". I guess I'll just have to wait in line with the rest of you that decide enough is enough. Maybe they should just change the name of it to "Money we are too cheap to pay the staff with so you do it" or perhaps DSC actually stands for "Dumb Suckers Charge".

I know I sound extremely bitter here. It is all the little charges they keep sticking in you see. And who are the victims? Well, we of course are mostly concerned about ourselves. This is completely understandable, seeing how we are paying the freight for all the nickel and diming going on. But what about the crew? The reason that cruising has been affordable up to now was partly because of the cheap labor. Those folks rely on the tips and service charges they get. It's a vicious cycle I guess. Either they charge us up front and pay the staff properly, in which case we all realize that we can't afford it and stay home, or they continue to underpay, pretend we are getting a bargain and hope against hope that we are all too stupid to realize that we are saving nothing and that the sale price we are being offered is in fact a SHAM.

That is not to mention the others who suffer from this. For example, the buying public will finally wake up, which greed merchants like Del Rio always know is inevitable. But they don't really care since by then they'll be even richer than they were before. However what happens to the folks that are anxiously waiting at some poor as hell port for the "rich Americans" to get off the ship? Some day soon the gang plank is going to come down and there will be nobody on it.

Don't worry by the way if you think this only affects the middle class cruiser that saves up to sail once or twice a year in a balcony or an ocean view, or heaven forbid an inside cabin. The passengers who can afford to stay in the Haven will get beaten up just as badly. Perhaps even more so. They are better able to endure the financial hardship it's true. But why should they?

Here is the good news fellow cruisers. You were lucky enough to live through the golden age of cruising. Enjoy it while the ships continue to sail, because 10 years from now this industry will be gone. I suppose by then I'll be able to take a "virtual cruise" on my iPad. The question is why will I want to.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to request a refund of the DSC I prepaid on my next cruise before I sail? I would rather avoid what I predict will be an EXTREMELY long line onboard the ship. Of course this is a silly question since they will automatically charge me once I get the final bill, just for my "convenience". I guess I'll just have to wait in line with the rest of you that decide enough is enough. Maybe they should just change the name of it to "Money we are too cheap to pay the staff with so you do it" or perhaps DSC actually stands for "Dumb Suckers Charge".

I know I sound extremely bitter here. It is all the little charges they keep sticking in you see. And who are the victims? Well, we of course are mostly concerned about ourselves. This is completely understandable, seeing how we are paying the freight for all the nickel and diming going on. But what about the crew? The reason that cruising has been affordable up to now was partly because of the cheap labor. Those folks rely on the tips and service charges they get. It's a vicious cycle I guess. Either they charge us up front and pay the staff properly, in which case we all realize that we can't afford it and stay home, or they continue to underpay, pretend we are getting a bargain and hope against hope that we are all too stupid to realize that we are saving nothing and that the sale price we are being offered is in fact a SHAM.

That is not to mention the others who suffer from this. For example, the buying public will finally wake up, which greed merchants like Del Rio always know is inevitable. But they don't really care since by then they'll be even richer than they were before. However what happens to the folks that are anxiously waiting at some poor as hell port for the "rich Americans" to get off the ship? Some day soon the gang plank is going to come down and there will be nobody on it.

Don't worry by the way if you think this only affects the middle class cruiser that saves up to sail once or twice a year in a balcony or an ocean view, or heaven forbid an inside cabin. The passengers who can afford to stay in the Haven will get beaten up just as badly. Perhaps even more so. They are better able to endure the financial hardship it's true. But why should they?

Here is the good news fellow cruisers. You were lucky enough to live through the golden age of cruising. Enjoy it while the ships continue to sail, because 10 years from now this industry will be gone. I suppose by then I'll be able to take a "virtual cruise" on my iPad. The question is why will I want to.

You can rest assured that removing the DSC is going to become impossible. The NCL ticket has said for a long time that it can only be removed under certain circumstances. They just haven't bothered to enforce that provision.

In order to get it removed you are going to have to go on a day by day basis and justify what a particular person did wrong to justify its removal and they are going to require you to give them a chance to fix the issue before you can take it off.

No one is going to make multiple trips to guest services to fool with the DSC, and truthfully that is how it should be. There is no reason to remove it.

You can rest assured that removing the DSC is going to become impossible. The NCL ticket has said for a long time that it can only be removed under certain circumstances. They just haven't bothered to enforce that provision.

In order to get it removed you are going to have to go on a day by day basis and justify what a particular person did wrong to justify its removal and they are going to require you to give them a chance to fix the issue before you can take it off.

No one is going to make multiple trips to guest services to fool with the DSC, and truthfully that is how it should be. There is no reason to remove it.

Pretty much this - NCL will reduced it but not really remove it, unless service failure from everything (dining, room steward, buffet, etc...) . Just say it service related and not because you can't pay it; they're reduced to were you can 'afford' it for whomever is under your sail account.

I don't believe a word you said. Pure fabrication.

OP and others, give it up!! No, most of us are not exactly happy with some of the new additions to the service charge but to even think about having the DSC removed or reduced isn't going to do a think except hurt those who depend on tips for their livilihood. And let me pretty much assure you, other lines, if they haven't already are going to follow NCLs lead. It is just the way things go. Either this works for the cruise line or they will re-think all what they are doing.

We all want as much as we can get for our buck, but remember, the latest promo is giving us a pretty good deal, we all know, they will find a way to make up the difference. Yes, the promo will go away in just a week, but others will follow.

I am waiting for someone to sail NCL with all the new charges, then try another brand and come back to do a comparison; an honest one that is. I am willing to bet there won't be a lot of difference in cost.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Can you please show where the Contract says this?

I do not believe the contract does say that. I just checked mine and the paragraph about DSC is:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

BUT - tread carefully::D

(b) Carrier's Right to Confine, or Refuse or Revoke Passage: The Guest recognizes and agrees that the Carrier reserves the right, without incurring liability of any kind, to refuse or revoke passage to, or confine to a stateroom, any Guest who, in the sole judgment of the Carrier or vessel's medical personnel, may be refused admission into a port of landing or into the country of destination, or may be suffering from a contagious disease, or for any other cause may endanger themselves or others, or become obnoxious to others.

OP and others, give it up!! No, most of us are not exactly happy with some of the new additions to the service charge but to even think about having the DSC removed or reduced isn't going to do a think except hurt those who depend on tips for their livilihood. And let me pretty much assure you, other lines, if they haven't already are going to follow NCLs lead. It is just the way things go. Either this works for the cruise line or they will re-think all what they are doing.

We all want as much as we can get for our buck, but remember, the latest promo is giving us a pretty good deal, we all know, they will find a way to make up the difference. Yes, the promo will go away in just a week, but others will follow.

I am waiting for someone to sail NCL with all the new charges, then try another brand and come back to do a comparison; an honest one that is. I am willing to bet there won't be a lot of difference in cost.

I get what you and others are saying. In the end I will probably just take a deep breath and pay the extra charges like everyone else does. But there is simply a part of me that does not appreciate the WAY that all of this is being done. I would rather they just charge what they will, up front and without artifice, and let me decide if I want to book or not. I don't like being gamed. I understand what's going on here just as much as most of those who read these boards do. Someone wondered if "cruising was for me". I think my cruise history, while not comparative to many, is significant enough to answer that question. I love cruising, and have always been an NCL booster. Maybe that's why all of this bothers me so much. Being on a cruise has always been very relaxing for me. It has been an opportunity to forget life's cares and "live a little" as they say. But, now I wonder if I will feel like I have to keep one hand on my wallet. I guess it's just another sign of reality intruding on fantasy land. Oh well...

The price change in the DSC does not both me a bit and I am very happy to pay the extra. No im not made of money and I only get to cruise every other year for the most part but the crew has always gone above and beyond. I typically tipped extra to my room stewards and waitstaff anyway

JMHO, but if you are going to vacation, you have to be prepared to pay. Even land vacations have Daily Resort Fees of $25-35 per day (Hawaii) and our recent trip to San Diego incurred $25 per night parking fees. The Daily Service Charge for cruising is actually half of what we paid at the hotel on Maui.

And to rent a house for vacation on the Big Island, there was the rental fee of $100 per night, plus cleaning fee of $100 and another $100 security deposit. I was actually surprised to get the security deposit refunded.

There are fees and service charges everywhere you go now. I don't really see any way around them. We each have to decide if our vacation is worth the extra cost.

Yes, I guess you are correct and perhaps I'm making too much of this. I'm not going to let this spoil my vacations. I work too hard to make them possible and I also have much to be thankful for. Thank you all for listening and responding to my tirade. I blew off some steam and feel better. I appreciate your patience! :)

I get what you and others are saying. In the end I will probably just take a deep breath and pay the extra charges like everyone else does. But there is simply a part of me that does not appreciate the WAY that all of this is being done. I would rather they just charge what they will, up front and without artifice, and let me decide if I want to book or not. I don't like being gamed. I understand what's going on here just as much as most of those who read these boards do. Someone wondered if "cruising was for me". I think my cruise history, while not comparative to many, is significant enough to answer that question. I love cruising, and have always been an NCL booster. Maybe that's why all of this bothers me so much. Being on a cruise has always been very relaxing for me. It has been an opportunity to forget life's cares and "live a little" as they say. But, now I wonder if I will feel like I have to keep one hand on my wallet. I guess it's just another sign of reality intruding on fantasy land. Oh well...

Totally agree with you, especially the Bold part! Just charge me for the fare and stop with all the extra "fees"!!! If the fare is too high, I'll save more and go another time or wait for a "sale".

JMHO, but if you are going to vacation, you have to be prepared to pay. Even land vacations have Daily Resort Fees of $25-35 per day (Hawaii) and our recent trip to San Diego incurred $25 per night parking fees. The Daily Service Charge for cruising is actually half of what we paid at the hotel on Maui.

And to rent a house for vacation on the Big Island, there was the rental fee of $100 per night, plus cleaning fee of $100 and another $100 security deposit. I was actually surprised to get the security deposit refunded.

There are fees and service charges everywhere you go now. I don't really see any way around them. We each have to decide if our vacation is worth the extra cost.

Vegas also adds a resort charge and many of the so called resorts in Florida do the same. I think there are some things we just have to accept, like it or not!!!!!

Nonsense. All of this. Just make **** up as you go!

Nonsense. All of this. Just make **** up as you go!

You do know that they're going to verify your claims, right? Its Guest Services, they're the ones that call the room steward when your wine delivery hasn't been deliver to your cabin and call the manager of the MDR, if they recall having any issues with your order that night. Just saying...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I have already called and refunded my prepaid dsc..i will pay at the boat if i want and how much i want..it will depend on a lot of things

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good for you.....at this point I don't even think that money goes to the NCL employees......Tip who you want what you want!

So, just to clarify, I can opt out of the $12.50 service fee once on board?

Yes you can and should! It appears NCL has found plenty of ways to rip you off!

It's NCL's job to pay their employees tips as you please!

I used to tip above and beyond those days are over! Guess NCL should raise salaries or those workers should work on more fair cruise lines.

Edited by monkeybone