Rain on embarkation - wet luggage?

WKUTops

We are sailing on the Magic this Sunday and the weather looks like rain for Galveston. Will our luggage get wet? We have always sailed on sunny days so just wondering!! Hate for everything to be soaked!

It was raining once when we cruised and yes our stuff got wet. Some more than others in my group. We had to lay our clothes out all over our room to let them dry off. If you're worried about your stuff getting wet maybe put it all in a trash bag then in your suitcase. That way it stays dry AND you have a big laundry bag for your dirty clothes [emoji6]

It was raining once when we cruised and yes our stuff got wet. Some more than others in my group. We had to lay our clothes out all over our room to let them dry off. If you're worried about your stuff getting wet maybe put it all in a trash bag then in your suitcase. That way it stays dry AND you have a big laundry bag for your dirty clothes [emoji6]

what a great idea!!

I put a large black garbage bag on the bottom of the suitcase before I start packing. it goes up the sides and it gives you two layers of plastic. When I am finished packing I put another black garbage bag on top and tuck the side down. All my clothes are protected. While our suitcase was wet, our clothes stayed dry.

In Galveston, the luggage carts will stay indoors until they are ready to be loaded onto the ship. If it rains hard enough, then yes the luggage will get wet on the transfer from the terminal building into the ship.. So all of the above about plastic bags is decent advise if you want to be sure.

i put a large black garbage bag on the bottom of the suitcase before i start packing. It goes up the sides and it gives you two layers of plastic. When i am finished packing i put another black garbage bag on top and tuck the side down. All my clothes are protected. While our suitcase was wet, our clothes stayed dry.

this! :)

Pack in plastic bags. Either smaller bags for individual things or large trash bags.

We've lined the suitcase with trash bags, then placing the clothes into one or two other bags, sealing them. Then more bags on top.

I'm going to try lining the bags with the trash bags!! Hope it works!! Thanks guys!

We ALWAYS do this after having soaking wet clothes after our luggage got badly rained on in Southampton one P&O cruise

Reminds me of my first cruise. Had to walk 4 blocks in a downpour to get to my ship. What I did was have a large garbage bag in the outside pocket. When it started raining, I slipped it on over the suitcase and poked a hole just big enough for the handle to poke thru. (Like a poncho) worked great. Bottom was a bit damp but I aways pack my toiletries at the bottom with the shoes so all was fine

Soft sided luggage, when sitting where it is raining, the interior is likely to get wet. Found that out In Atlanta, connecting between a Delta and KLM flight. Upon arrival at Amsterdam, some, not entirely, of the interior of the bags were damp to wet.

One tip I read afterwards was to line the interior with plastic dry cleaner bags. I have done so, but have not had any experience as to how effective this is. I like the idea to use black garbage bags; bigger, thicker, more sturdy. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 years later...

A few years ago we took a R/T to Hawaii from San Diego. Unfortunately, it rained the day we left and our baggage was outside. Our cabin steward noticed it and he took it all down to the laundry and threw it in a dryer for a few minutes and then brought it back. Another example why we love Carnival.

We experienced this on one trip, and learned to purchase hard-sided luggage and also line with plastic bags. Damp clothes on a cruise ship isn't fun and sometimes colors can fade unto other items so consider this when packing things together.

We are sailing on the Magic this Sunday and the weather looks like rain for Galveston. Will our luggage get wet? We have always sailed on sunny days so just wondering!! Hate for everything to be soaked!

Just to give you an idea of what typically happens, they load the luggage into these big bins, then stage them on the pier next to the ship waiting to get loaded. I suppose if your bag is in the right spot in the bin, everyone else's will keep it pretty dry. :p

Cruise-Luggage-Injury.jpg

Are you priority of any kind with immediate access to your cabin? If so, there's the option of carrying them on with you so they don't get stuck sitting outside.

Get a plastic painters drop for each bag and a small roll of duct tape and carry one "kit" in each bag. If you are expecting rain, the night before departing, flying etc., unfold the drop and place it in the bottom of the bag with enough excess to completely cover the contents of the bag on top; plus several inches. Load the bag and roll the two ends together and use duct tape to keep from unrolling. Roll each end in a similar manner and tape. Sort of like a "foil" pack when cooking. I have used this precaution and kept the contents of our bags dry. What I like about this method is if rain is not forecast; you can leave the "drop" folded and tape in your bag. Much easier than trying to load cloths in a trash bag. Hope this helps.

If you use the space bags, your clothes will stay dry and be compressed so you can get more into your suitcase. One year (out of Galveston) we put garbage bags (with a slit for the handle) over our suitcases, then pulled them off once we got inside. We also put packing tape on our luggage tags so the ink doesn't run & the paper doesn't disintegrate.

It helps to treat soft sided luggage. I use Kiwi water repellent meant to keep tents dry. All of my luggage is treated, inside and outside, with three light coats. Water just beads up and doesn’t soak into the bags. Combine this with the plastic bags strategy mentioned in previous posts and your clothes will stay dry, even in a downpour!