Is the Cruise Director THAT important to you?

Dizzneefan

For everyone stating the CD doesn't make a difference, yes they do! If you ever have a bad one, you'll know it. I don't cruise specifically for a CD, for the most part I don't pay a lot of attention to them. BUT, if I ever see Jen Baxter's name posted as CD of a ship, I'm booking a different one.

I just love it when people tell me what makes a difference to ME! Thank you! :confused::rolleyes:

I find these two quotes "amusing" since the ONLY Carnival CD that I've had a bad cruise with was Jen Baxter. That was before they created the ED position so she's just making excuses. Activity staff was late for every single activity we went to and things were horribly mismanaged. The activity staff reports to the CD and is the responsibility of the CD. Even now, with the ED position, the CD is still the management level between the staff and the ED. Here is a posting of the job description:

http://www.carnivalentertainment.com/entertainment-staff

For everyone stating the CD doesn't make a difference, yes they do! If you ever have a bad one, you'll know it. I don't cruise specifically for a CD, for the most part I don't pay a lot of attention to them. BUT, if I ever see Jen Baxter's name posted as CD of a ship, I'm booking a different one.

I personally enjoyed Jen and I don't care who the CD is. I believe Jen is telling the truth and that the ED is responsible for planning activities. You thinking that they make a difference is YOUR opinion and YOURS only. Don't speak for others.

Going on our 10th cruise in 11 days and the only two times the CD mattered was 1) Our first time on the Legend, AWFUL woman was CD, couldn't have been snobbier and more annoying if she had tried and 2) we had Wee Jimmy on the Valor and he was fantastic, friendly, funny, treated everyone great. Otherwise I don't pay attention to them other than important announcements, unless they make it a point to interact.

I think the position of Entertainment Director is fairly new position. It's suppose to free up the CD to do other things. I never gave a thought to CDs until I went on the Glory once and had a very non active CD. I attended a Q and A he held and he ended up telling us this would be his last cruise. He was tired of being at sea for months and was going home at the end of our cruise. I personally felt that mentally he had already left. Hardly any activities were planned and he always looked sad !! Like others have said, no CD is going to make or break my cruise, but a good one can add to the fun.

The position of Entertainment Director is a new one and current is only filled on 3 ships: the Sunshine, the Freedom, and the Breeze. This position is above the CD (a mistake in my opinion) and is intended to free up the CD for more time with the PAX. If this program does go fleet wide the ED position will eventually replace the Assistant Cruise Director position and take all scheduling duties from the ACD.

Currently, on most ships, the CD is ultimately responsible for the entertainment staff activities (trivia, line dance classes, hairy chest completion, win lose or draw, etc.) but these are scheduled by the ACD.

As far as a CD making a difference in your cruise, we know and are friends with a number of CDs. We look forward to seeing them and sometimes schedule specific cruises to see these guys. We also often cruise with newer or fill in CDs who don't know us from Adam and that is fine too. We have often had great cruises this way also.

The position of Entertainment Director is a new one and current is only filled on 3 ships: the Sunshine, the Freedom, and the Breeze. This position is above the CD (a mistake in my opinion) and is intended to free up the CD for more time with the PAX. If this program does go fleet wide the ED position will eventually replace the Assistant Cruise Director position and take all scheduling duties from the ACD.

Currently, on most ships, the CD is ultimately responsible for the entertainment staff activities (trivia, line dance classes, hairy chest completion, win lose or draw, etc.) but these are scheduled by the ACD.

As far as a CD making a difference in your cruise, we know and are friends with a number of CDs. We look forward to seeing them and sometimes schedule specific cruises to see these guys. We also often cruise with newer or fill in CDs who don't know us from Adam and that is fine too. We have often had great cruises this way also.

I think the ED position is ridiculous. It is a demotion for the CD's. I say put all ED responsibilities onto the ACD with the CD having the final say.

I just love it when people tell me what makes a difference to ME! Thank you! :confused::rolleyes:

I personally enjoyed Jen and I don't care who the CD is. I believe Jen is telling the truth and that the ED is responsible for planning activities. You thinking that they make a difference is YOUR opinion and YOURS only. Don't speak for others.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I was attempting to make a point about the responsibilities of the CD. Based on some of the comments, it appears people may not realize what the CD actually does.

"it doesn't contribute to my cruise experience"

"it is usually the entertainment staff that does a better job than the CD"

"Theyre all the same IMO"

"They could eliminate the position and I would never notice the difference"

"they simply introduce shows and tell some stale jokes"

Nobody has to care one way or the other who the CD is. With one exception, I don't. But I was trying to clear up the notion that all the CD does is make annoying announcements all day long. They are in charge of planning the entertainment (except for the few ships that have an ED) and the entertainment staff reports to them (even on the ships that do have an ED.) If they aren't running things well and don't have their staff under control, it will be very obvious. Let's face it, we've all been to restaurants, stores, etc. where the staff was poorly managed. It does impact your experience. That said, I really wish Carnival would do what Celebrity does....GET OFF THE FREAKIN' PA SYSTEM ALL DAY LONG!!!

Again, sorry if my comments came across as telling you to care about CDs. I certainly can't name more than three of the ones I've had and with one exception, I wouldn't even consider switching my cruise.

Every time this question comes up, I have the same answer. A CD is just a shill trying to get pax to spend extra money. They all say the same thing, a corporate spiel of lawyer approved advertising. Anyone who's cruised over 5 times will recognize the sales pitch.

IMHO, the best CD has LARYNGITIS.

We ae sailing on the legend to Alaska in June and John Heald was to be the CD, but now it appears he will not be on that ship until July. There are some who are very disappointed because he will not be with us, but to me, it's no big deal. We've only been on about 10 cruises, but the CD has never mattered to us. Am I missing something by my lack of interect?

I could not care less who the CD is on any of my cruises.

The ONLY time I ever even thought about it was one time I was on a cruise and the CD, named Jen, had the MOST annoying voice you could imagine. When she came on the pa system it was like nails on a chalkboard.

A CD never really detracted from any of our 25 cruises across all major lines. But, sometimes, they add.

This winter's cruise on Carnival Sunshine demonstrated that a committed, interested, and energetic CD can certainly add to the experience. Jamie Dee was amazing.

I totally agree. I remember waiting in line to get back on the ship and Jamie was hosting a pier party in 90 degree heat and it was amazing to see her level of enthusiasm. She actually made waiting in line fun.

For the most part I could care less about the cruise director. To me the blackjack dealers are way more important than the CD.

It makes me wonder what's so great about this John Heald guy. I've seen his name mentioned in so many threads.

He is funny. He really, really is funny. But he was a bonus, not the reason I went on that ship last year.

To be honest, I would love to cruise without having to HEAR the CD constantly throughout the ship.

Other than that, I rarely ever see them, or I see them and don't even recognize them so they make no difference to me and my cruising parties whatsoever.

Not sure why the different lines under the Carnival umbrella, don't adopt a best practice approach. They may and it's not publicized. Like the morning show. I only know that Princess and Carnival both do it. We don't watch it but know it exists. Princess hands out personal chilled face cloths while waiting in line to reboard. A very small thing but it does feel great in that heat. Princess has some CD announcements in early morning, a Captain's Update around noon and then CD again around dinner time. That's it, the rest is golden silence. Each line has something that they should keep but bring the little things to all.

Anyone know the name of the CD that was on ships from Galveston? He played a hot fiddle and participated in the talent show, and in one of the Las Vegas style shows. Last time I saw him, was on the Ecstasy about two years ago, maybe three.

We ae sailing on the legend to Alaska in June and John Heald was to be the CD, but now it appears he will not be on that ship until July. There are some who are very disappointed because he will not be with us, but to me, it's no big deal. We've only been on about 10 cruises, but the CD has never mattered to us. Am I missing something by my lack of interect?

Nope. Personally, I could care less who the cruise director is. But that's just me - some people really spend a lot of time with them.

Generally, I'd say, no, the CD doesn't impact me a whole lot (don't play games or hang out at the pool or participate in group activities much.)

HOWEVER, the difference between the early morning organization of shore excursion gathering and departure on our CCL Sunshine med cruise with Jaime and the same on our RCI cruise to Norway was vast.

Jaime was able to keep things moving, get everyone into the correct groups and out the door (and get everyone pepped up for the day - I would sit there half asleep thinking, "Good Lord, cheer down, woman!" :D), while on the RCI ship the gathering together was pretty much a fiasco. Staff didn't seem to know where or how to direct people to their proper places. It was chaotic and confusing, with seemingly no leader. I have no idea if it was the fault of the CD, but there was a marked difference. (all's well that ends well; we still had a good time and caught all our excursions, regardless)

Edited by srlafleur

Nope. Personally, I could care less who the cruise director is. But that's just me - some people really spend a lot of time with them.

I couldn't care less either. Although some people keep telling me that I would care if they were bad. Not so. Still wouldn't care.

Most of them remind me of snake oil salesmen. Swarmy, greasy, etc.

You're right about some spending a lot of time with them. They also want to gift them with little trinkets and baked goods from home.