Is the Cruise Director THAT important to you?

Dizzneefan

I couldn't tell you who the CD was on any of my 20ish cruises.

Well, except Jaime and Shorty (on Sunshine, I think?). Whichever cruise it was, I loved them. Except I don't know HOW they had so much energy while gathering us all together for the earliest AM excursions! We were all dragging our hind ends into the theater like the walking dead, and there they were, like cheerleaders on crack.:D

We ae sailing on the legend to Alaska in June and John Heald was to be the CD, but now it appears he will not be on that ship until July. There are some who are very disappointed because he will not be with us, but to me, it's no big deal. We've only been on about 10 cruises, but the CD has never mattered to us. Am I missing something by my lack of interect?

No - not as far as I'm concerned.

I used to think it made no difference who the CD was on a cruise. I found out it can make a HUGE difference on our February cruise on the Freedom.

I was disappointed in the lack of trivia/games during the day time hours on board. I contacted Carnival when I got home and was told they would talk to the CD. Yes, the CD decides what activities you will do on board.

I'm crossing my fingers that my up coming cruise in a couple of weeks will have more activities during the morning and early afternoon. Unfortunately, we are booked on the Freedom again and Jen Baxter is probably still there. :(

I used to think it made no difference who the CD was on a cruise. I found out it can make a HUGE difference on our February cruise on the Freedom.

I was disappointed in the lack of trivia/games during the day time hours on board. I contacted Carnival when I got home and was told they would talk to the CD. Yes, the CD decides what activities you will do on board.

I'm crossing my fingers that my up coming cruise in a couple of weeks will have more activities during the morning and early afternoon. Unfortunately, we are booked on the Freedom again and Jen Baxter is probably still there. :(

I spoke with Jen regarding the lack of activities. Jen said that the Entertainment Director onboard is responsible for planning the activities. She said she would pass my comments on to him.

CD makes ZERO difference to me. I couldnt even tell you who the CD was on my last 2 cruises, I have no idea. My first 2 cruises on the Imagination & Freedom both had Brad as my cruise director. I only recall this becuase I thought it was weird that I had him both times on 2 different ships. Didnt interact with him at all either time, still had great cruises.

I will say that it would be kind of cool to meet JH, just becuase he is a little more "famous" than your typical CD, but I wouldnt be mad or go out of my way to make that happen. It would just be an added bonus if JH happen to be on a cruise I booked for other reasons.

Edited by jwalk03

We ae sailing on the legend to Alaska in June and John Heald was to be the CD, but now it appears he will not be on that ship until July. There are some who are very disappointed because he will not be with us, but to me, it's no big deal. We've only been on about 10 cruises, but the CD has never mattered to us. Am I missing something by my lack of interect?

He is entertaining, and he has quite a big following. He was CD on one of my cruises way back in 2004 or 2007, cant remember which one right now, anyhow I did enjoy his style of humor.

My cruise is neither made or broken by who the CD is; have been some I really liked a lot and some I have forgotten, but none who annoyed me enough to remember them badly:D So I am much like you, CD is never a consideration for me when booking a cruise.

Have a great cruise:)

Absolutely not!! I could care less who the cruise director is...

When you cruising Dizzneefan?

While I don't book a cruise based on who the Cruise Director is, a good CD can actually make a cruise better. When it comes to making the daily announcements, you want someone that's entertaining and enjoyable to listen to. The activities that the CD hosts also requires someone that will get, and keep, your attention, while also entertaining. John Helad is, by far, the most entertaining CD that Carnival has. His sense of humor is out of this world and being around him makes the day, and the cruise, that much better.

We have had some good and some no-so good CDs during our cruises, but the ones that stand out are the ones that keep me laughing each and every time we see them. On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii in 2012, the CD was so annoying that we just about cringed at the sound of his voice, which was the only complaint about the entire cruise. Then you get another CD that has some stupid saying that they always say every time you see them! These are the ones that we consider annoying.

So in my humble opinion, yes, a CD can make a cruise either a good one or a bad one (along with other things). So far, though, we've never experienced a "bad" cruise!

Bill

I couldn't care less. I am puzzled by people who rave about CD's. It makes a difference to them? Yes, some are better at jokes than others, various talents, etc. So what, I'm not vacationing with them. :)

I sailed with the famous John Heald three weeks last year. By the third week I had heard enough about "Dick Little", his comments were the same every week. I didn't find him any better than any of the other CD's I had- 17 cruises last year.

Yes, the CD decides what activities you will do on board.

Not on my cruises they don't, seeing I do not like those sorts of things, it rarely matters what they think up, but if I did like them, I would still decide what I will be doing :D:D:D

PS seeing they give out a daily guide etc and often it is listed all round the ship, they really don't need to be on the loud speaker system, IMNSHO

CDs are big to me. A big annoyance! :eek: I can't stand those loud announcements to interupt my relaxation or when I am talking to my wife, the CD starts telling us at 1500db about bingo or the hairy chest contest.

I wish they would be part of the "cut backs."

We have liked some and others have ground on our last nerve. But I've never (nor do I plan to) scheduled a cruise based on the CD. As a matter of fact, I never know who we've got until we board.

Since CCL publishes the list I do know but even if I knew who it was and felt they were horrendous it wouldn't make me change my plans (I only know one CCL CD and he wasn't too bad).

CD means ZERO to me when booking a cruise.

We had Matt Mitcham on the Breeze last year, and I was NOT impressed, yet I know others LOVE him. Although, I have to say, he was EASY on the eyes.:o

Don't remember who we had the year before on the Breeze, or the Pride.

I will tell you, I would love to end up with Jaime or John H one of these days, but I would NOT book a cruise just because they were the CD.

We go and make our own fun.:D

I'm with the majority here. Would never pick a cruise because of the CD , but a good one can make it more enjoyable once on board. We've cruised twice w/ John Heald and once w/ Butch B. and they definitely made things more fun and entertaining at times.

If you are brand new to cruising, you may enjoy an energetic cruise director that tells you every little thing you need to know. Some seasoned cruisers like certain ones because they have met them or enjoyed their directing previously. I once answered this same question - it was more focused, asking what exactly the director does- by saying the CD is most important when delivering need to know information. I saw a program on tv the other day where the CD was actually the main entertainer (the Azamara luxury ship). Back when ships were smaller, I suspect the CD had a more involved role with each and every passenger. For me personally, it does not matter. One person would not make or break a cruise for us- except maybe the captain/master of the ship.

CD means ZERO to me when booking a cruise.

We had Matt Mitcham on the Breeze last year, and I was NOT impressed, yet I know others LOVE him. Although, I have to say, he was EASY on the eyes.:o

Don't remember who we had the year before on the Breeze, or the Pride.

I will tell you, I would love to end up with Jaime or John H one of these days, but I would NOT book a cruise just because they were the CD.

We go and make our own fun.:D

Why didn't you like Matt? He's really the only CD I ever paid any attention to. Yes, he's very attractive and he flirted with my daughter and I. [emoji39]

And we even sailed with Jaimie on the Dream. I DID see her everywhere but didn't think she was all that special. To each his own...