Medical Insurance only??

You guys obviously know what you are doing as you have taken many cruises but I do not understand why you want medical only. I can see medical and evacuation only without the other worthless crap as that is what we and many others do do but just medical?

DON

We agree! Actually, the Geo Blue Annual policy mentioned by both moi and another poster does include $500,000 of medical evcac insurance. And one reason that many policies include such high evac limits is that it never has to be paid. The truth is that these policies only cover med evac from a hospital to a better place (many policies leave this up to the insurance company) and this cost seldom exceeds $50,000 (even for a private jet charter). So having ridiculous high limits is good for business and not much better then a policy with $50,000 or $100,000 limit.

We have pointed out (in several posts) that if a cruiser is evacuated from a cruise by helicopter it is almost always done at zero cost to the cruise. Nearly all helicopter evacs (from ships) are done by various Coast Guard entities who do not normally bill for their services.

And since you raised the Med Evac issue we should point out that those paranoid about such a situation might want to spend the bucks and by a Medjetassist Policy. This is strictly an evac policy (it covers no other services) but it is the Rolls Royce of the evac industry. Unlike most other policies the Medjetassist gives a lot of rights to the ill person (and their family) rather then investing nearly all rights in the insurance company and physician.

Personally, DW and I have very little interest in Trip Cancellation coverage (which is what many other folks really worry about) because we are cognizant that our liability for cancellation is limited to the cost of the trip! Since we are going to spend that money anyway (we know this once we book the trip) we can afford the cost and are willing to self-insure that particular risk. If I have to eat the cost of a trip I am no worse off (financially) then if I had actually taken the trip. But if I am hit with $200,000 in medical bills and only have a cruise line policy that covers $20,000 I am not going to be a happy guy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have another comment. Over thirty plus years in the health insurance industry we were very aware that many folks make insurance decisions based on their own fears, anecdotal stories, and responding to aggressive marketing. Most folks do not read the fine print, do not analyze the cost of coverage versus benefits, and do not even think about their own liability. So a typical cruiser books a 7 day cruise for $2000 and spends another $150 for trip cancellation insurance (with very little med coverage). All they think about is they could lose $2000 if they missed the trip. But they do not consider that they could lose $100,000 or more if they had a serious medical problem while on the trip. The cruise lines really take advantage of these fears by now marketing "cancel for any reason" policies.....many of which only cover a portion of the trip cost. Trying to convince folks that they need to insure for major issues is a tough sell.

Hank

yes this is my ordinary health insurance, which is bc/bs..As others have stated, Im not concerned with the trip cancellation, just wanting to make sure if any accidents or if we get sick while on the ship or excursions that we will be covered..

To answer your basic question as directly as possible, yes. You are covered on the ship as well as ashore. If anything has to be handled by the ship's medical staff, it would likely be fairly minor and would be billed to your shipboard account. Unless you've already met most of your deductible, your insurance won't reimburse much.

If it is something that requires a higher level of care, the ship will have you evacuated or disembark you at the nearest port or just leave you there if you are already ashore. Therein lies the rub.

Your regular insurance doesn't provide much protection as I outlined in my previous post. Another poster on a thread titled "So I called...", asked some questions directly to BC/BS. It might be helpful to read that thread.

Hospitals and doctors in foreign countries do not recognize/honor your regular insurance. BC/BS will not provide proof of payment, so you are on the hook for everything until you can get home. And they will not pay to get you home, even if you are medically able to travel or have been discharged completely. Once you are home, the insurance company will treat the whole thing as out-of-network, so you'll pay higher co-pays and coinsurance.

Travel insurance is a separate product because it is designed to deal with these issues presented by foreign travel. You have to decide what risk you are willing to accept, but you can't make a smart decision until you know how your insurance works compared to a travel policy, whether it is only medical or a comprehensive one.

Personally, DW and I have very little interest in Trip Cancellation coverage (which is what many other folks really worry about) because we are cognizant that our liability for cancellation is limited to the cost of the trip! Since we are going to spend that money anyway (we know this once we book the trip) we can afford the cost and are willing to self-insure that particular risk. If I have to eat the cost of a trip I am no worse off (financially) then if I had actually taken the trip. But if I am hit with $200,000 in medical bills and only have a cruise line policy that covers $20,000 I am not going to be a happy guy.

Hank

Totally agree w you on this point which is why we have an annual policy that covers medical and evacuation and carry no other insurance. You insure for the potential really big losses and do not worry about the small stuff.

I guess the best combination which is sort of what you are trying to do is to combine a medical only which does not have evacuation with a medjet policy. That way you have the best of both worlds.

I get a real laugh reading about people who worry about insurance for trip delay, luggage loss, and maybe even potential snow days (LOL!!) Who cares about these potential small losses.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 5 months later...

Taking a Mediterranean cruise next year and starting our trip off with a few days in Paris and Rome. My job insurance includes international medical evacuation, but I have been debating whether I should go with a medical only policy (Liaison International Travel Medical) or a policy that includes comprehensive (AIG Travel Guard)? Advice?

Once you have considered the cost of the policies and the dollar limits of coverage for medical and evacuation, the main difference is that a comprehensive policy will also offer cancellation coverage. It comes down to how you feel about losing the money if you had to cancel the trip - not whether you can afford the loss but how you'd feel about it. Would you be OK to say, "Well, the money is gone whether I take the trip or not"?

Once you have considered the cost of the policies and the dollar limits of coverage for medical and evacuation, the main difference is that a comprehensive policy will also offer cancellation coverage. It comes down to how you feel about losing the money if you had to cancel the trip - not whether you can afford the loss but how you'd feel about it. Would you be OK to say, "Well, the money is gone whether I take the trip or not"?

The policy I was looking at includes cancellation due to travelers death only. I purchased comprehensive "cancel for any reason" travel insurance for my last cruise. NCL canceled the port and when I went to file a claim I was denied so I am very leery of travel insurance companies who are quick to take your money, and quicker to deny your claims. Aren't there any travel credit cards that include comprehensive?

I'm not sure I understand the NCL claim. Was it a third-party insurance policy or one sold by the cruise line? I think the way those work is that you can cancel for any reason up to a certain time period - say 48 hours before sailing. After that, you must cancel for a covered reason in order to be reimbursed. When did you find out the port was canceled and when did you file?

Yes, most major credit cards have some kind of cancellation coverage. You have to look at their list of covered reasons to see if that meets your needs, and most require that all trip costs be charged to that card. In addition, be aware of the limits of coverage. I haven't looked in a while, but I think most have about $5,000 per incident. My Sapphire card has $10,000.

It really depends on how much risk you can tolerate. A lot of people who post on here just insure for medical and evacuation and consider everything else "small stuff." A trip to Europe isn't cheap. It is smart to look for the best way to protect that investment - not necessarily easy but still smart.

I'm not sure I understand the NCL claim. Was it a third-party insurance policy or one sold by the cruise line? I think the way those work is that you can cancel for any reason up to a certain time period - say 48 hours before sailing. After that, you must cancel for a covered reason in order to be reimbursed. When did you find out the port was canceled and when did you file?

Yes, most major credit cards have some kind of cancellation coverage. You have to look at their list of covered reasons to see if that meets your needs, and most require that all trip costs be charged to that card. In addition, be aware of the limits of coverage. I haven't looked in a while, but I think most have about $5,000 per incident. My Sapphire card has $10,000.

It really depends on how much risk you can tolerate. A lot of people who post on here just insure for medical and evacuation and consider everything else "small stuff." A trip to Europe isn't cheap. It is smart to look for the best way to protect that investment - not necessarily easy but still smart.

We found out that NCL canceled the port when we arrived to checkin and attempted to cancel before boarding the ship! I also have the CSP card but will not be charging my entire trip to one card.

Well, that expalins why the claim was denied. You were past the deadline when you could cancel for any reason.

It highlights another problem. A lot of people do not understand the policy they buy. Insurance is a comlpex issue. Even after I've read the certificate on-line, I still have to call and ask for clarification.

So here is what I suggest. Figure out what concerns you most. Is it just the potential for big medical bills if you have an accident or get ill on the trip? Would you really hate to lose the cost of the cruise if those same circumstances caused you to cancel the trip? Are there other non-refundable costs involved - hotels, cost of redepositing FF miles, excursions? As I said, how much are you comfortable losing if it comes right down to it?

Next, find out exactly what your workplace insurance covers in terms of evacuation coverage just to be sure it works the way you think it does. Then, read through the certificates of the policies you are considering and make a list of questions about any points you don't undertsand. Call the carriers and ask them to explain. It sounds like you have already narrowed the field; but if those two don't meet your needs, there are other choices. Talk to professionals who can help you match your needs to the right policy.

Adequate medical/evacuation coverage is a major concern for travel overseas, for sure. You have to set the priorities for the rest. As for me, I consider a trip to the Med as a big investment. Taking a trip and enjoying it is not the same as paying for one I couldn't take. I'd be really mad at myself if I lost a significant amount of money just because I didn't buy insurance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Suzanne- My suggestions but not an expert! You should just call and check with your insurance carrier. Since it is BC/BS and since Alaska is in the US, it is likely covered. There are major medical centers in Anchorage and Juneau. Only Vancouver is outside US if you are going there but very close to Seattle so no worries. If anything ask them about ship evacuation coverage and how that would work. You can purchase evacuation only coverage for your trip as a supplement to your primary BC/BS only if you need to. Also since GeoBlue is part of BC/BS you can just call them and see what they recommend.

Medicare covers you in Vancouver if you are on your way to Alaska! Everything else should be covered on land as Alaska is still part of the USA.

Medicare covers you in Vancouver if you are on your way to Alaska! Everything else should be covered on land as Alaska is still part of the USA.

Perhaps....perhaps not. The Medicare rules leave a lot to interpretation (I spent over thirty years working in government insurance). Medicare does specifically grant some coverage in Canada is transiting to Alaska but its not cut and dry. And the interpretation can change with the wine :). Here is the policy:

"You’re traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most

direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency

occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital

that can treat your illness or injury. Medicare determines what qualifies as

“without unreasonable delay” on a case-by-case basis"

How this policy applies to a cruiser would drive most policy analysts to drink. And also keep in mind that if Medicare were to pay for a claim in Canada it would be limited to only "Medicare Covered Services."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...