Before you complain about HAL ships getting larger...

InTheWASide

Wikipedia is one source. easy enough to divide the registered tonnage by the posted passenger capacity.:D

Does Wikipedia have one single website link that has a separate page for each cruise line that includes information on passengers and tonnage? I found a resource that does but welcome information on a better resource if it exists. Thanks.

Thanks for mentioning this. I wonder how many people actually determine space and crew ratio before taking a cruise? One reason we decided to sail HAL for the first time was their advertized good public space ratio. We don't generally calculate that information prior to selecting the ship/cruise but something to consider for future selections.

Passenger space ratio is an often discussed topic on the Princess boards and we've found it to be a very objective means to compare. Princess has a wide range of space ratios with Coral Island being the best and Caribbean and her sister super grand class ships being the worst. Wall Street Journal and USA Today have written about it. It is a calculation of gross tonnage divided by passenger capacity, Google the topic. The space ratio can change if more cabins get added which has happened on a couple HAL ships and is happening soon on the Island Princess.

The Konsingdam will probably disappoint with their projected space ratio of 37.5. The ship will feel more crowded, more people in your space.

This ratio is meaningful but it will be distorted on a holiday sailing with lots of third and fourth passengers on board.

Edited by sammiedawg

Passenger space ratio is an often discussed topic on the Princess boards and we've found it to be a very objective means to compare. Princess has a wide range of space ratios with Coral Island being the best and Caribbean and her sister super grand class ships being the worst. Wall Street Journal and USA Today have written about it. It is a calculation of gross tonnage divided by passenger capacity, Google the topic. The space ratio can change if more cabins get added which has happened on a couple HAL ships and is happening soon on the Island Princess.

The Konsingdam will probably disappoint with their projected space ratio of 37.5. The ship will feel more crowded, more people in your space.

This ratio is meaningful but it will be distorted on a holiday sailing with lots of third and fourth passengers on board.

Thanks Sammiedawg.

Wikipedia says 6,296 max passengers and 2,394 crew for a total of 8,690, so theoretically the Oasis (or Allure) could break their current 8,490 record.

We were on the Disney Dream with about 3,500 pax and that was too many for us!

And Oasis just came out of a drydock where they added more rooms and suites... not a lot but capacity went up. Not sure if wikipedia reflects that yet or not but biggest got a little bigger a few months ago :eek:

" but it's like comparing apples to oranges - they're both fruit, but completely different."

Yes, one is ripe and one is rotten...

In the eye of the beholder.

HAL's latest ships: Koningsdam: 3194, Nieuw Amsterdam: 2527, Eurodam: 2525. NA and Eurodam both received a 4.5 rating in the latest Cruise Critic poll.

Except for the Westerdam 4.5 and the Zuiderdam 3.5 all ships in the Rotterdam, Statendam, and Vista Classes received a 4.0. The Elegant Explorer Prinsendam received a 4.5.

Edited by qsuzi

To each their own. We have sailed RCI, Mariner of the Seas, the ship was nice, no complaints, too many passengers would not enjoy sailing on any ship that big again.

Allan & Marlane

... but capacity went up. Not sure if wikipedia reflects that yet or not but biggest got a little bigger a few months ago :eek:
No, it doesn't. It says 6296 for both Oasis and Allure, and for both the source cited is dated 2012.

In January on the Noordam docked at Crown Bay in St. Thomas, I returned from downtown Charlotte Amalie to find that Allure of the Seas had just completed docking and that the gangways (4 of them) had been deployed and guests were disembarking. I sat on a bench in the shopping area and began to "people watch", one of my favorite cruise activities. Watching 4 streams of people--and more people--etc. stream from the side of that ship reminded me of watching ants leaving an ant hill.

When a ship reaches the population count large enough in the State of Ohio to be classified as a "city", that is a ship that is too large for me!

No, it doesn't. It says 6296 for both Oasis and Allure, and for both the source cited is dated 2012.

Hmmmmmm. Are the specific numbers that vital to addressing the subject line of the OP's thread? Don't know why the original source of the numbers didn't use those found in the RCI "Ship Fact Sheets"(see below):

Oasis: 5,400 double occupancy passengers or 6,360 total + 2,394 crew = 8,754

Allure: 5400 double occupancy passengers or 6,318 total +2,384 crew = 8,702

Edited by qsuzi

Are the specific numbers that vital to addressing the subject line of the OP's thread?
No, my point was simply that the 8,490 cited in the original post is not the absolute maximum for the ship.

Interesting conversation. Our first cruise was on the Zuiderdam, Vista class. The next 3 were on Maasdam and Veendam, which we loved. We're doing Westerdam next. I wanted to see if we enjoyed the larger size as much as we did the Veendam and Maasdam. That might make up our minds.

I'd like to try Koningsdam just because the previews look so wonderful. I'm intrigued by the dining room design.

Deb

Interesting conversation. Our first cruise was on the Zuiderdam, Vista class. The next 3 were on Maasdam and Veendam, which we loved. We're doing Westerdam next. I wanted to see if we enjoyed the larger size as much as we did the Veendam and Maasdam. That might make up our minds.

I'd like to try Koningsdam just because the previews look so wonderful. I'm intrigued by the dining room design.

Deb

Hi Deb, I hope you share your comments with us after your Westerdam cruise. I am going to check out the Koningsdam.

Oasis is a full-featured ship. Great for families with kids who need lots of activities. We have taken two grandchildren on Royal Caribbean cruises for their 13th birthdays. (Not the behemoths.) We all had a good time. But joining that many folks on a cruise is not my cup of tea. I don't need a FlowRider, bumper cars, ice rink, etc. Holland America's smaller and mid-sized ships with their understated elegance are just right for my tastes.

Jhannah, you are so right!! I totally agree. :D