Going from winter in Canada to Florida/Cruise: what to wear on the plane?

We are cruising in December, leaving from very cold climate and going to Florida for a week, then a cruise for a week. Any suggestions on what to wear on the plane? It will take us approximately 14 hours to get from home to hotel...

The incise of the airport and plane are heated...so you don't need heavy, bulky clothes! If you can get away with wearing a lighter jacket from car to airport, wear your long pants, etc...ONTO the plane, and have your more summery clothes packed, that should do it.

We leave heavy coats in the car when we are doing a winter trip to somewhere warm...you can stand a bit of cold for a few mins, if needed!

My preference is black stretchy yoga-style pants, a shell or t-shirt and a cardigan. The cardigan can come in handy in air conditioned areas on the ship, or you can stuff it in your bag when you arrive in the warmer temperatures.

I like the idea of just leaving your coat in the car if you can!

For me, if I have a scarf and gloves, I can wait for an airport shuttle as needed. I bring a scarf I can wear later in the trip (eg not a heavy cashmere one). I always fly in long pants, no matter where I'm traveling - I always want to bring long pants, and I prefer to have my legs totally covered on planes - so I just adjust to my climate needs. A mid-weight knit might be a good compromise.

Florida - depending on where you are - is NOT always 90 degrees! We do a trade show in Orlando in Feb every couple of years - we were there last year and had terrible thunderstorms and the temps were quite chilly - in the 50s -so you're going to want a couple of warmth layers (fleece jacket or sweatshirt etc) anyway.

Layers are your friend. Wear long pants (even in Florida it's not going to be hot when you land that time of the year) and a short sleeved shirt with a sweater or lighter weight fleece jacket.

That said--take a look at the weather just before you leave. As I mentioned, it can be COLD in Florida in the winter. If there is a cold snap coming on, bring the coat. I live in Florida and can't tell you how many times I've shook my head listening to people complaining about having to buy coats or walking around in shorts and t-shirts shivering because they didn't bother to check the weather before they left.

Last time I went to Florida (for a 5-night cruise), I flew on Spirit on their ''Bare Fare''. You are only allowed ONE personal item free (max 16''x14''x12'' - no extra purse, no carry-on, no check luggage). Everthing needed to do double duty.

Here is what I wore for my 4 hour drive and flight (16 hours total from leaving home to boarding the ship):

- Pale khaki medium weight pants made of stetchy fabric (therefore very comfortable) that I can wear either long or rolled up under the knee and attach with built-in strap

- V-neck women's T-shirt (I guess, I don't remember exactly)

- Nice, light weight, black zip-up cardignan (this is handy to go outside at night, sometimes chilly when sailing, it worked well with many of my outfits)

- Medium weight black wind breaker (also rain resistant) with removable Hood (better prepare for the worse than being stuck on the ship all day if it's rainy)

- Small black and white running shoes (I need those for the gym, and also when I plan to walk long distances in port)

- Comfy underwear are also important when we travel for as many hours as you will

When I arrived in Fort Lauderdale, I :

- Removed my windbreaker and attached it to the top of my baggage

- Rolled up my pants

- Changed my running shoes for my one-sole sandals

And voilà, I was ready for my ride to Miami and then breakfast before to head to the cruise terminal (very early flight - arrival 5:30 am!)

A quick comment - hoodies are great on the plane - better than a regular cardigan. You can stuff them into the hood and use as a pillow. You can roll up the hood around your neck if it's drafty. Their also good aboard ship if you're out on deck and it's windy.

Thanks to all who replied! With the new baggage constraints I want to dress/pack as efficiently as possible, so your suggestions are very helpful.

P.S. Where I come from checking the weather forecast is ingrained from the womb! Yesterday it was 19 degrees celsius and tonight we're supposed to get snow...sigh. Can't wait for Florida, even if it is during a cold snap.

I refuse to travel in the winter without my TekGear hooded parka, it weighs about 6 oz & comes with its own "stuff sack" (which is exactly what it sounds like). My parka is neon pink (but it does come in other more boring colors). I got it at Kohls (on clearance) & it's waterproof too. I freeze on planes so always wear black long sleeved TShirt, black yoga pants, black cashmere socks & my Teva water shoes (which are my heaviest shoes). I slip a wildly patterned scarf on & I'm set for anything. I do put a short sleeved Tshirt in my carryon in case it is really warm when we land. We live in CO & on our last trip it was -10F when we left home & 75F when we landed. I was comfortable in both locations with what I had on.

Edited by awhfy

I refuse to travel in the winter without my TekGear hooded parka, it weighs about 6 oz & comes with its own "stuff sack" (which is exactly what it sounds like). My parka is neon pink (but it does come in other more boring colors). I got it at Kohls (on clearance) & it's waterproof too. I freeze on planes so always wear black long sleeved TShirt, black yoga pants, black cashmere socks & my Teva water shoes (which are my heaviest shoes). I slip a wildly patterned scarf on & I'm set for anything. I do put a short sleeved Tshirt in my carryon in case it is really warm when we land. We live in CO & on our last trip it was -10F when we left home & 75F when we landed. I was comfortable in both locations with what I had on.

Don't ever fly Air France. No vents over seats and they keep it insufferably hot.

I love Air France (premium voyageur) but it's true they don't have self-serve vents. I've been ok on my flights (and have been overheated on Delta flights were I DO have my own vent control). This will vary by type of plane, of course

The first important step is to ask about the temp. The FAs might still say that "most" people prefer the temp it's set at, but if many people complain, maybe they'll change. But if no one complains/asks about the temp, it's guaranteed to stay the same.

I love Air France (premium voyageur) but it's true they don't have self-serve vents. I've been ok on my flights (and have been overheated on Delta flights were I DO have my own vent control). This will vary by type of plane, of course

The first important step is to ask about the temp. The FAs might still say that "most" people prefer the temp it's set at, but if many people complain, maybe they'll change. But if no one complains/asks about the temp, it's guaranteed to stay the same.

Premium Economy (premium voyageur) on Air France was terrible. Rock hard seats that were truly the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in on a plane. The service was poor, my seat and the PE lav were both broken on the outbound and return flight (same plane, I could tell by the pen marks on the seat). I can't believe that in 10 days they couldn't fix the lav.

I couldn't get an extra cup of water from the FA, I certainly don't think they cared about the temperature.

We also live in Saskatoon and for travels to Florida, I wear a pair of yoga pants, short sleeve t shirt and a sweater along with a paschmina scarf. All of the pieces can be worn again on the trip, although I don't usually need to wear the yoga pants till the trip home. I also wear running shoes or sketchers and socks - if you need to remove your shoes for security, you won't have to be barefoot. Hubby wears a sports jacket, golf shirt and jeans, and his Clarks walking shoes. The sports jacket doubles as a jacket to wear in the dining room if he chooses to, on evenings other than formal nights. We take a taxi to the airport and make the mad dash in the cold from the door to the taxi and into the airport. Enjoy your cruise and escape from the "frozen tundra".

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Yep, I think the best advise is to check the weather in FL about a week out and pack for that weather. I was born and raised in FL and I can tell you that in December it could be in the 90s or in the low 40s. It can vary that much so do check before you pack.

I also agree that layering is the way to go. If you wear a light jacket over a zip-up hoody or sweater, over a short-sleeved t-shirt, a pair of yoga pants and a comfortable pair of slip-on shoes with socks, you'll be fine. You can add a scarf to spiff up your look. When you get to FL, if it's one of those times when it's warm...you can stuff your jacket and long-sleeved hoody or sweater into your suitcase and just wear your short-sleeved (or if you're like me a 3/4 length t-shirt) with your scarf and yoga pants. You'll be fine. And, if it's cold in FL, you're good to go with what you wore in the first place. If it's really cold when you leave home for the airport you can wear a pair of gloves and a knit hat and then just throw it in your tote bag or carry-on once you're in the airport and then you can use them when you return home and need to get from the airport to your car.

You'll find use for your lightweight jacket, hoody or sweater at night if you're out on deck on the ship. Your scarf can spiff up one of your outfits at dinner.

Whatever you decide to pack...I hope you have an awesome cruise! :)

Edited by mousey

If it's really cold when I leave, I will wear long pants and a tshirt to the airport, along with a light hoodie or jacket. Once I've gotten through security I then change into shorts or capris and sandals. If it's not too cold, I'll just wear capris to the airport.

Do this very often - if you have someone dropping you off - you can wear your winter coat/boots into the airport - then hand them over once you get inside - and they can bring them back home for you (and bring them back to the airport when picking you up!)

If taking a cab - you should be okay for a few minutes in the cold as you enter the airport. I agree with long pants (I also like stretchy yoga pants) a t shirt (pattern so doesn't show stains/spills just in case) and a warm hoodie (I have a nice black velour one with some bling) - also useful to have a hoodie or sweater on the ship as some of the pubic rooms may be cold. Also wear my runners and socks...

And while the 'natives' may find it cold - you should be fine in Florida :) - I remember getting off the plane and it was about 65-70F and the locals were apologizing for the 'bad weather' LOL - we were stripping off our hoodies and they were all wearing hats and jackets and complaining about the cold...:)

Edited by Froufie

no intent to insult - but this is the honest truth! We have been sitting poolside having breakfast in shorts/t-shirts and watched the local pool guy wearing a toque and jacket to clean the pool - I think it depends on what you are used to?

I cruise with friends from southern states and they will rarely get in the ocean on a caribbean cruise finding it way too cold and uncomfortable - I on the other hand look forward to jumping waves and enjoying the water as much as possible...

And yes the taxi driver did 'apologize' and felt bad about us arriving in florida during a cold spell - however we obviously had no problem with it.....and no need for your to 'insult' either - whatever the forecast is it's WAY BETTER than back home and we definitely appreciate the warmer climate!!! :)

Edited by Froufie

no intent to insult - but this is the honest truth! We have been sitting poolside having breakfast in shorts/t-shirts and watched the local pool guy wearing a toque and jacket to clean the pool - I think it depends on what you are used to?

The last time we were in Florida, they had a short-lived cold snap and everyone was running around in their puffy jackets, scurrying from place to place. Even some of the store clerks were wearing 2 or 3 polar fleece jackets to stay warm. We, being from the "frozen tundra", had our capris, sandals, and a light sweater on and felt totally comfortable. As far as swimming, I always say if I can't walk on it, it's warm enough to swim in. :D

We live in Minnesota, it gets cold here as well. When we travel to Florida for a cruise our daughter takes us to the airport and picks us up. We leave the parkas in the car, she brings them back to pick us up. We have a light foldable rain jacket on at the airport (was just fine and it -10 degree in MN) it was plenty for the cruise.

I travel in lightweight Columbia travel pants that roll up and snap into capri's. Covers me enough in the cold for the short time I'm in it and works in the heat until we can get into the cabin (or hotel) and change into shorts if it's hot, other wise it works fine as capri's. Short sleeve cotton shirt works as well.

I have a cute pair of maryjane canvas shoes, I wear socks with them until we get to Florida and then I wear them without socks, like sandals if it's hot.

We also live in Saskatoon and for travels to Florida, I wear a pair of yoga pants, short sleeve t shirt and a sweater along with a paschmina scarf. All of the pieces can be worn again on the trip, although I don't usually need to wear the yoga pants till the trip home. I also wear running shoes or sketchers and socks - if you need to remove your shoes for security, you won't have to be barefoot. Hubby wears a sports jacket, golf shirt and jeans, and his Clarks walking shoes. The sports jacket doubles as a jacket to wear in the dining room if he chooses to, on evenings other than formal nights. We take a taxi to the airport and make the mad dash in the cold from the door to the taxi and into the airport. Enjoy your cruise and escape from the "frozen tundra".

Embarrassed to admit I never would have thought to have my husband wear his sports jacket on the plane! He resents having to pack it for two nights use, so this is a great idea. Thanks!

The last time we were in Florida, they had a short-lived cold snap and everyone was running around in their puffy jackets, scurrying from place to place. Even some of the store clerks were wearing 2 or 3 polar fleece jackets to stay warm. We, being from the "frozen tundra", had our capris, sandals, and a light sweater on and felt totally comfortable. As far as swimming, I always say if I can't walk on it, it's warm enough to swim in. :D

I don't know where you were, but stores are heated when necessary. Clerks wouldn't have been wearing 2-3 fleece jackets.

By the way, it's winter and we like to wear different clothes in different seasons. It looks silly to be in shorts and t-shirts in the winter. We wear jeans and sweaters (cotton rather than heavy wools) and fashion boots just like they do everywhere else. Like I said, the tourists definitely stick out.

If it's really cold when I leave, I will wear long pants and a tshirt to the airport, along with a light hoodie or jacket. Once I've gotten through security I then change into shorts or capris and sandals. If it's not too cold, I'll just wear capris to the airport.

Maybe not such a good idea.....did you see what happened to the PAX in Halifax last week on that flight? Ended up standing on the runway for 45min to 1 hr wearing shorts/sandals, etc in a blizzard until they could be rescued? I always dress for the coldest place I could end up landing (in layers) - you never know when you might not get the nice plane ramp, landing at a unexpected airport, etc.

Maybe not such a good idea.....did you see what happened to the PAX in Halifax last week on that flight? Ended up standing on the runway for 45min to 1 hr wearing shorts/sandals, etc in a blizzard until they could be rescued? I always dress for the coldest place I could end up landing (in layers) - you never know when you might not get the nice plane ramp, landing at a unexpected airport, etc.

I didn't see that--what happened? Why didn't they just wait on the plane?