Couple in 80s told to get off the ship!

SALAD MUNCHER

There is no longer any rhyme or reason. They did a complete body search on me last year when boarding the QM2 in Southampton. I'm beginning to think that I don't look as harmless as I imagined. :D

Yikes, Brigitte, I don't know what a 'complete body search' entails, but it sounds gawd awful!:eek:

On the plus side, not looking harmless can be a good thing - at least you won't be taken as an easy target by muggers:) Cheers, -S.

Salacia, it really wasn't as bad as it sounds....it was done by a really nice lady. I just couldn't figure out the point since I was boarding a ship full of sharp knives and forks. I never thought to ask what she was looking for. :)

Very odd story and the frustrating part is that we will probably never know the truth behind it. What does make it so odd is the fact that they had been allowed into the US earlier.

The other interesting thing is that the story would appear to have not been picked up by any other media source. When cats on skateboards, etc can make the news I would have thought the TV and papers would have been all over it. So why is there nothing reported apart from a very small piece on a local television station?

All adds to the mystery

Very odd story and the frustrating part is that we will probably never know the truth behind it. What does make it so odd is the fact that they had been allowed into the US earlier.

The other interesting thing is that the story would appear to have not been picked up by any other media source. When cats on skateboards, etc can make the news I would have thought the TV and papers would have been all over it. So why is there nothing reported apart from a very small piece on a local television station?

All adds to the mystery

I agree. The only reason I can think of is that, if there is really no way of forcing the US authorities to give their reasons, then the story cannot progress any further.

I doubt that very much indeed. Do you know what a full body search entails ?

You are absolutely right. It was a full body "pat down". Big difference, it was just unexpected for boarding a ship.

Edited by brigittetom

You are absolutely right. It was a full body "pat down". Big difference, it was just unexpected for boarding a ship.

I did assume you meant a full "pat down" and not something which involves a rubber glove and a torch !! :eek:

But you are quite right. It's a bit of a nonsense as you say. The ship has endless items which could be used as weapons (just think of the knifes they use in the kitchens, meat cleavers and so on), plus knifes and forks which you could just put in your pocket.

I find this thread interesting, entertaining, and educational. I did a Google search of Brian and Beryl Garnett, and the only meaningful return I got was this thread.

I also Googled Beccy Meehan and got lots of hits, but nothing on this story.

Seems that there should be something somewhere that mentions this.

I find this thread interesting, entertaining, and educational. I did a Google search of Brian and Beryl Garnett, and the only meaningful return I got was this thread.

I also Googled Beccy Meehan and got lots of hits, but nothing on this story.

Seems that there should be something somewhere that mentions this.

If you had looked at Beccy Meehan's twitter account and scrolled down to April 1st you would have found a tweet where she mentions the report

The lack of any reliable information on the subject puts into question any point in all this speculation. It is hard to imagine, in the present environment where media are so starved for material that the silliest matters are food for hours of commentary, that there is significant truth in the story of a pair of eighty year olds, who were previously allowed entry into the U.S., being put off a ship which had accepted them as passengers.

If the "facts" being discussed here are true, they would have been discussed elsewhere.

If the "facts" being discussed here are true, they would have been discussed elsewhere.

Only, as would happen in most cases, they had gone screaming to the red top press, though they or someone else must have contacted the BBC local chanel.

But why would anyone make up such a story? And what reputable reporter, and this one is, would allow herself to be hoodwinked by an elderly couple with such a story.

David.

Just because no other news outlet thought it worth reporting doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The couple certainly seemed genuine enough when they were being interviewed.

I have sent Beccy a tweet btw

Just because no other news outlet thought it worth reporting doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The couple certainly seemed genuine enough when they were being interviewed.

I have sent Beccy a tweet btw

Agreed. My impression of the couple and the thrust of the report was bewilderment at the lack of an explanation for an unusual and unwelcome occurrence. I doubt such a story could be invented but as the couple weren't screaming for compensation or publicly challenging Cunard the item has rested as a local interest story.

For what it's worth I thought the reporting sympathetic and the couple gentle, polite and quietly upset at their fate.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Hi Pepper

It appears they are both British living in a small town near Lancaster. I wasn't blaming Cunard, I was just shocked at the story of these two elderly passengers being left to their own devices in a strange country. It could happen to any of us!

I have tried finding the report online (it was on Granada reports last night) but have not managed to do so.

Cheers, Sue

Not specific to the passenger in question, but in general, the day I can no longer figure out how to call the consulate in whatever country/zone I am in or figure out how to repatriate myself in some sort of emergency is the day I will stop traveling.

A few years ago a friend of mine had to apply for a US visa because of a minor criminal offence when he was 16. He was going to Las Vegas to get married followed by a honeymoon in the Bahamas. A visa was granted after a visit to the US Embassy in London. Entry to the US went without a hitch. After the honeymoon in the Bahamas, he went to catch a flight to Miami for a connecting flight to the UK. However he was refused boarding because, unknown to him, his Visa was only valid for one entry and exit to

the US. He had to make alternative flight home,at his own expense, without entering he US. If this couple had a Visa then perhaps this was only valid for one entry and exit.

This is a very good possibility. If this is the case, then the traveler or his TA need to accept responsibility.

Unfortunately, authority everywhere always picks on easy targets. On the Holland America forum there was some discussion last year about some seniors being given a hard time by US authorities because their essential medications were not in the proper containers. Yet we read a lot about the vast amount of illegal drugs crossing the border from Mexico. A few years ago some veterans had their poppies that were pinned to their lapels confiscated at an eastern Canadian airport. Recently, in Vancouver there was a huddle of security officers because my wife had a pair of tiny blunt-ended craft scissors in her carry-on. They finally allowed it on and on board the aeroplane we were served our meal with metal cutlery including - you can guess what I am about to say - a knife with a sharp serrated edge. You couldn't make this up:D.

Most countries (including the UK and Canada) require prescription medications to be in the original container with the prescription label as dispensed by the pharmacy. Without these labels how do CBP know these are legal drugs? They don't and drug smugglers come in all ages. They are not just 20 year old Hispanic males.

There is no longer any rhyme or reason. They did a complete body search on me last year when boarding the QM2 in Southampton. I'm beginning to think that I don't look as harmless as I imagined. :D

Complete body search or pat down. Two very different things, and I assure you there was not a complete body search without a good reason. For the record I was patted down at St. Pancras before being allowed to board Eurostar, at Gare De Nord in the return, and at Parliament last month. Pat downs are not limited to the US. :rolleyes:

Edited by ducklite

Not specific to the passenger in question, but in general, the day I can no longer figure out how to call the consulate in whatever country/zone I am in or figure out how to repatriate myself in some sort of emergency is the day I will stop traveling.

Well if that applied to passengers on Cunard ships they would be sailing half empty.

David

Complete body search or pat down. Two very different things, and I assure you there was not a complete body search without a good reason. For the record I was patted down at St. Pancras before being allowed to board Eurostar, at Gare De Nord in the return, and at Parliament last month. Pat downs are not limited to the US. :rolleyes:

You don't need to assure me of anything.....I've already said that I was mistaken, it was a pat down. And for the record....I never said that I thought pat downs were limited to the US.

This is a very good possibility. If this is the case, then the traveler or his TA need to accept responsibility.

I think that this a very small possibility.

The vast majority of UK passengers travel on the Visa Waiver program and only need to purchase an ESTA online.

Well if that applied to passengers on Cunard ships they would be sailing half empty.

David

Do you really think that half of all Cunard passengers are incompetent? Having sailed a number of lines, my view is that the typical Cunard passenger has a lot more on the ball than those on most other cruise lines.

Most countries (including the UK and Canada) require prescription medications to be in the original container with the prescription label as dispensed by the pharmacy. Without these labels how do CBP know these are legal drugs? They don't and drug smugglers come in all ages. They are not just 20 year old Hispanic males.

I realise that and we seniors do bring our few medications in the original containers with the prescription label. Drug smugglers, however, can put anything in those containers because they are not sealed by the pharmacist. Unless every tablet is analysed, or at least inspected for the manufacturer's imprint if indeed there is one, this is not going to stop drug smuggling. It does make people feel that something is being done.

It is similar to confiscating air passengers' nail clippers (apparently not done any more) but allowing the airline to serve a meal with a sharp metal knife. It makes people feel safe, and that is important.

As we are all speculating, maybe the gentleman's ESTA ran out during their holiday/vacation, after Fort Lauderdale? So perhaps the security agent and electronic system didn't flag that up in Fort Lauderdale but somehow something happened later. I believe the carrier, be it cruise ship or airline are held responsible for taking someone not legally allowed for whatever reason, into the USA. So a reason for the couple to leave the ship before arriving. But the way it happened seems a mess.

Whatever the problem, it would be nice to know so we don't make the same mistake in the future. But as someone said, the USA security don't have to say why someone is denied entry.

I wish it as an April Fool.