My QM2 Review

marge1952

Good afternoon.

Long time reader of the forums and first time poster. My Son also reads the forums.

My husband and I travelled on the QM2 from Darwin to Sydney and it was my first time with Cunard since the QE2 in 2003, I have since sailed with Princess many many times.

I will just list some dot points as that seems to be the trend when writing a review.

Good Points.

* The ship was very big, it seemed that everyday we discovered something new which was exciting.

* Generally the staff were lovely all round. the service reminded me of Princess which I find great.

* Food in Britannia was nice, again, reminded me of Princess. The wait staff were good and attentive.

* Pre & Post dinner cocktails were fabulous wherever you had them.

* Lovely to see everybody dress up at night, it really did add to the elegance of the experience.

* Fabulous day spa!

* Stateroom (Britannia Balcony deck 11), great size and plenty of storage. Steward was lovely.

* Wonderful open decks where plenty, lots of space to walk or find somewhere to sun bake.

* Dancing in the Queens Room was fabulous! Something I have really missed to be honest. Perhaps something I haven't really even done since my last trip on QE2 in 2003.

* Decor, wonderful. Much more elegant than the QE2 and much more elegant than Princess ships. Reminds me of an Old Grand Hotel.

Bad Points.

* Although the ships decor is fabulous, some areas could do with a spruce up and some paint to really make them shine.

* Most of the time the lift lobby area on deck 3 near the atrium smelt like stale smoke, is this near crew accommodations perhaps?

* I fell over one day when I stepped on a certain spot in the atrium, it just seemed as if there was nothing solid under the carpet. I have read some things on these forums about "holes" in the floor. Perhaps it was one of them. I was absolutely fine though.

* Plumbing may have some issues as one night we were walking back to our stateroom after enjoying ourselves in the Queens Room and there was a poo on the floor in the corridor. We looked around fearing that a pipe may have burst and it fell out as we did notice earlier in the cruise that there was sometimes a drip of water coming fro the roof in our corridor. We could not see any broken pipes so I am unsure as to how it got there. When we got back to the stateroom we called the purser desk and they said someone may have left it there and they will send someone to clean it up asap. I did duck out to have another look an hour later and it was gone so that was good.

All in all we had a fabulous time onboard and will certainly sail with Cunard again as we found it very enjoyable and in some cases superior to Princess.

Thank you for reading my review.

Marge

xo

Unless I've misunderstood, the OP remarked about finding excrement in the corridor.

That is indeed what they said.

But this statement I find even more bemusing is : "we called the purser desk and they said someone may have left it there".

Someone may have left it there ? What ??!! As in someone just thought "I'll just leave that there for now and I'll pop back later for it".

I suspect the op meant "pool" vs "poo"

It would be funny if that was true but it wouldn't make a lot of sense of the "somebody had left it there" part.

I really hope the OP comes back to confirm.

I suspect the op meant "pool" vs "poo"
Thanks pris993,

That's what I (and others?) suspected the OP meant, as the OP said ... "there was a poo(l ?) on the floor in the corridor. We looked around fearing that a pipe may have burst and it fell out as we did notice earlier in the cruise that there was sometimes a drip of water coming fro(m) the roof in our corridor. We could not see any broken pipes" ... which indicated a damp patch or "pool" to me.

Perhaps the OP will come back and confirm which incident occurred?

Thank you again, pris993.

(Edited to add. Yes Hattie you may be right, the "it fell out" part is also confusing me now, upon reflection... :eek: )

Edited by pepperrn

Hello everybody and thank you all for your kind replies in regards to my review.

Please forgive me for the late reply as I have been quite busy today due to Easter.

Sorry to have confused everyone but yes, I do mean "poo" not "pool". Although the pools onboard were quite lovely also which I forgot to mention.

The young lady we spoke to on the phone was very helpful and they did send someone up to clean it away. They also stated that it was probably left their by someone rather than a burst pipe. Maybe it has happened before?

I have come across vomit once on a previous Princess cruise.

Thank you all.

Hello everybody and thank you all for your kind replies in regards to my review.

Please forgive me for the late reply as I have been quite busy today due to Easter.

Sorry to have confused everyone but yes, I do mean "poo" not "pool". Although the pools onboard were quite lovely also which I forgot to mention.

The young lady we spoke to on the phone was very helpful and they did send someone up to clean it away. They also stated that it was probably left their by someone rather than a burst pipe. Maybe it has happened before?

Thank you all.

Ship happens.

Better if it happens on the poop deck.

Thank you all.

Thank you for the clarification.

I truly admire anyone who can experience this and still take the time and effort to point out all of the positive things they experienced first.

I also can't stop laughing. You mention excrement in the corridor and are greeted with thanks, kind words, and appreciation for your review. Some poor innocent hypothetically asks where they can eat dinner on a formal night if they don't want to dress up and get taken to task and their fitness for society is thoroughly questioned.

And now I'm off to cancel my eastbound crossing.

... Sorry to have confused everyone but yes, I do mean "poo" not "pool" ...
Hi marge1952,

Thanks for coming back and clearing that up, the confusion that is! Glad someone else cleaned "it" up...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Many happy sailings with Cunard for the future :)

Thank you all.

Thanks for clarifying, it certainly seems one of the more bizarre things to find & less easily explained than vomit !

I'm so pleased that it didn't alter your enjoyment of the cruise.

Hello again, everyone.

Thank you all for the kind words. I will admit that I was hesitant to post as I had seen others in the past get attacked but I am happy that I did and am now a contributing member to the forum.

I would just like to say that we really did have a fabulous trip on board regardless that we found the poo and I truly hope my review hasn't made anyone reconsider their planned trip because that would make me feel awful.

I cannot allow that one mini aspect of the trip to ruin all the positives we experienced whilst on board because there were truly so many positives that we experienced. I cannot blame Cunard for us finding poo as it is not their fault in any way, shape or form. In fact, I must commend them (the staff), on how well they dealt with the issue as it was resolved both efficiently and satisfactory. If the poo came from a broken pipe due to poor maintenance then perhaps, yes, it would be the fault of Cunard but as it was most likely left by a fellow guest, it really is just random occurrence and cannot be helped. We cannot expect Cunard to control everyones actions 24/7. For all we know maybe a child or somebody with a disability did it which certainly is understandable and forgivable in my own books.

But please focus on all the positives I shared.

We will sail Cunard again 100% and everyone else should too. :) It was a fabulous experience even after we found the poo.

Thank you all.

Marge

xo