Are TRADITIONS on a Carnival Ship what makes a cruise special?

I've read so much on this board about the importance to many of the little "traditions" of cruising on a Carnival ship..from tablecloths to chocolate to onboard "parties", formal nights etc. and that their demise is watering down the cruising experience.

Personally I'm not into traditions and don't see them as a reason to cruise. I'm much more interested in the cruise being reflective of what is happening in the real world and keeping pace with how I live today. What are your feelings about the direction Carnival is heading?

I love the increased facilities for active adults and children, the food options, the more "green" aspects, the more relaxed style.

I like the traditional ENTERTAINMENT. Carnival has really dropped the ball on this one. An yes, I do see the shows and listen to the bands and go to all of the parties. I do not like being entertained by the other guests...karaoke, hasbro game show, etc. I miss the live orchestra, the live bands, the Captains Party, the Farewell Party and the dancers.

The chocolates don't bother me, I don't need them and honestly, they weren't very good at all.

The tableclothes...haven't experienced it. Don't have an opinion.

The extra charge for food in MDR. Yes, that bothers me. Use to get lamb chops one night on every cruise. Now you have to pay $20 extra for them. My answer to that one is that I will not pay the extra.

Room service, yes it irks me that they are going to charge extra. If they do, I will figure something different out, like walk to the buffet and get it myself.

I just want to add that the more Carnival takes away and people accept it and pay for things the more Carnival is going to do it! It will never end.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I've been cruising on Carnival for 30 years, and I've seen a zillion things come and go. Remember Skeet shooting, pillow fighting, midnight buffets, driving golf balls off the fantail? Replaced by such things as rope courses, mini golf, twister slides, more food options, and Serenity. The cruise industry as a whole is always in a state of flux. Some things I do miss, others I could care less about. Bottom line is that I just LOVE being on a ship out on the water, eating, drinking, gambling, enjoying the islands, and being entertained at a price that can't be beat. In fact, I am paying LESS for a balcony on my upcoming Pride cruise, than I paid for an inside cabin on the Holiday in 1985!! So if Carnival has to tweak some things to keep the prices down, I'm all for it.

I just want to add that the more Carnival takes away and people accept it and pay for things the more Carnival is going to do it! It will never end.

When I cruise I rarely pay for anything....the only thing on my card are the tips. For those of us who aren't foodies, don't drink soda or alcohol, don't care about decadent desserts or fru-fru coffee we are pleased that our fare doesn't include these things.

As for the "parties"...they dissolved in all likelihood because many passengers just weren't that interested...I understand that as families on board increased attendance steadily declined.

If room service is no longer "free" I'll feel a little twinge of regret...but hopefully coffee and croissants will still be offered somewhere when I get up at 6am.

I agree with Jamman54 that keeping the cruise affordable and a perfect place where my large extended family from 5 to 85 can get together and enjoy each others company without worrying about restaurants, transportation, hotel rooms, etc. More and more of my friends are now looking at cruises because it is a family destination and offers something for a reasonable price.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

As for the "parties"...they dissolved in all likelihood because many passengers just weren't that interested...I understand that as families on board increased attendance steadily declined.

While I agree with most of your sentiment - not this one!

The problem was that the attendance at the parties was steadily INcreasing, not decreasing.

It used to be the captains welcome back parties were a big to-do and all past guests were welcome. The numbers of past guests steadily increased and they were heavily attended, coating carnival more.

So they changed that to a dollar off and the fun farewell party. The ff party, which they only would advertise once, and hold the last day late in the afternoon. They were banking on most cruisers 1) not noticing the first advertisement, 2) forgetting by the last day, 3) not wanting to drink a bunch on the last day worn out from the week or so vacation with an early day ahead, and 4) being too busy packing up and getting ready to be bothered. This was a very conscious act on there part in dissuading attendance, and if they are to be believed, they were successful and able to report 'declining attendence'. No s*** Sherlock, wonder why?! Lol

So then they move it to gold+ level party, which definitely restricted those who were qualified to attend...

They gave all the red level cruisers a coupon for a free drink, but strictly regulated how and when it could be used, again hoping to discourage use.

Then they took it away and gave a bottle of water in lieu.

This whole process was sneaky and incredibly shrewdly implemented to achieve their ultimate goal of severely limiting this particular benefit to as few people / drink as possible. This is perhaps the ultimate 'cutback' in that it lives on through the several different iterations. This was a calculated and manipulated series of actions, at each turn offering them an 'out' in terms of 'fun farewell not attended', 'coupon restrictions complained about' so they could say 'were listening so we took it away - here's something of less value we hope you like it'.

So yeah, most definitely calculated business decisions and cutbacks, but in your quoted comment it appears they have achieved their goal of having some people actually believe the nonsense justifications they have offered. Just wanted to say that's not quite true :)

I've been cruising on Carnival for 30 years, and I've seen a zillion things come and go. Remember Skeet shooting, pillow fighting, midnight buffets, driving golf balls off the fantail? Replaced by such things as rope courses, mini golf, twister slides, more food options, and Serenity. The cruise industry as a whole is always in a state of flux. Some things I do miss, others I could care less about. Bottom line is that I just LOVE being on a ship out on the water, eating, drinking, gambling, enjoying the islands, and being entertained at a price that can't be beat. In fact, I am paying LESS for a balcony on my upcoming Pride cruise, than I paid for an inside cabin on the Holiday in 1985!! So if Carnival has to tweak some things to keep the prices down, I'm all for it.

And that is why this man will be nominated for President in 2016 !!!

:)

I don't hold to traditions either. We are live in a world that is constantly changing. I look at the product I am buying today to see if it is something I want to spend my money on. You can either go with the flow and enjoy the ride or get left behind and cry about what was. I prefer to enjoy the ride.

I've read so much on this board about the importance to many of the little "traditions" of cruising on a Carnival ship..from tablecloths to chocolate to onboard "parties", formal nights etc. and that their demise is watering down the cruising experience.

Personally I'm not into traditions and don't see them as a reason to cruise. I'm much more interested in the cruise being reflective of what is happening in the real world and keeping pace with how I live today. What are your feelings about the direction Carnival is heading?

I love the increased facilities for active adults and children, the food options, the more "green" aspects, the more relaxed style.

I roll my eyes at the people on this board who complain that they will never cruise again if they don't have a tablecloth, or how the elimination of a chocolate-like candy is the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think these people realize they sound like Grandpa Simpson.