Summit Drydock - 2/27/16 to 3/12/16

DrivesLikeMario

For those that were wondering, I just got information that the Summit will be going into drydock from Feb. 27 thru March 12, 2016. About six months prior to that time, they'll release what exactly will be done. :)

May I ask where you got that info? I cannot find anything about a dry dock. thx, we are on Summit in the fall of 2016 so I am interested in what will be done.

New ships go in for dry-dock about every 5 years, but after a certain age I think, they then go about every 4 years - mostly for marine/mechanical inspections/maintenance of the hull/engines/life safety systems. Any cosmetic upgrades are incidental. There may be no cosmetic changes other than repairing/replacing worn carpets/fabrics/furnishings/fixtures.

At this point in their service lives I don't think Celebrity will spend millions of $$ on total ship transformations for the Millenium Class vessels like the did with the Solsticization project.

Just returned from the canal cruise on 3/29/15 and heard some interesting comments during the passage. Standing on deck in a lock and watched the Azamara Journey slip into the adjacent lock. I commented to the fellow next to me that the Journey looked "well used" and he said that after 2017 the Infinity will be re-branded as an Azamara after undergoing extensive upgrades!

Maybe all 4 M class ships will change? I did not ask anyone on board if the above is true so don't consider this factual. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Just returned from the canal cruise on 3/29/15 and heard some interesting comments during the passage. Standing on deck in a lock and watched the Azamara Journey slip into the adjacent lock. I commented to the fellow next to me that the Journey looked "well used" and he said that after 2017 the Infinity will be re-branded as an Azamara after undergoing extensive upgrades!

Maybe all 4 M class ships will change? I did not ask anyone on board if the above is true so don't consider this factual. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Ha, the Azamara Journey was probably feeling very peaked after two days of internal plumbing problems before she got to the canal.:eek: Check out their forum. I thought both Azamara ships were scheduled for major dry dock in the next year.

I love the M class ships of Celebrity. If they are sold I would hope they keep them in the family.:) But really , I do not think that will happen any time in the next three years.

As for Azamara ,would love to sail on a smaller ship considered luxury. If they have a smaller new build like Viking Ocean, I would book in a heartbeat.

May I ask where you got that info? I cannot find anything about a dry dock. thx, we are on Summit in the fall of 2016 so I am interested in what will be done.

My contact at Celebrity. She had a spreadsheet of all the planned drydocks. They won't firm-up the renovations until about six months prior. At that time, I can call and get exact info. on what is going to be done, or maybe they'll even post that online.

There is no cruise sceduled from february 27th to march 19th in 2016. That would confirm this information.

We have booked a cruise on Summit on march 26th 2016... The ship should be top notch... Good news.

Hi Luv2cruisecats,

Azamara graciously invited me onboard Journey for Lunch yesterday in Miami. I enjoyed lunch with Azamara's President, Larry Pimentel, and Journey's Captain (Johannes Tysse) and Hotel Director Heike Berdos who worked for Celebrity several years ago. Here's a link to my onboard report, on the Azamara forum : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190563

Responding to your comments :

1. I thought the ship looked absolutely beautiful, and not worn at all. In addition, both ships will be having extensive upgrades. Quest will happen later this year, and in January 2016 on Journey.

2. As for Azamara getting 1 or more of the M-Class ships ? I'd say don't bet on it. Personally ? I'd love to see it happen.... but Azamara has been asked this question on many occasions, and the answer remains that the M-Class ships are too large for what Azamara loves to offer. Could it eventually happen ? I suppose anything is possible - depending on whether Celebrity decides to hold on to the M-Class as the new Edge class of Celebrity ships make their debut in 2018 and 2020. To me, that's the big question - whether Celebrity will keep the M-Class and expand, or, say goodbye to the M-Class, as the Edge class rolls out.

There's a lot of moving pieces to this puzzle, but I'd be surprised if we hear anything for a while.

Edited by Host Andy

If history with X and ship building is anything to go by I could see the "Poject Edge" ships eventually becoming a six ship seris and once ship three arrives the Millenium Class would then be phased out. In 2020 the Millenium will be reaching 20 years of service and that's about as long as RCCL/X typically keep ships in service.

With each new build program they have expanded by 1 ship in the subsequent class:

Zenith Class - 2 ships

Century Class - 3 ships

Millenium Class - 4 ships

Solstice Class - 5 ships

Edge Class -2 ships initially confirmed, possibility for more

Does anyone know what the size of these "Edge " ship will be?

I hope they are not going BIG.... beyond the Solstice class.

According to a press release from Celebrity they will be slightly smaller than the Solstice class at 117,000 GRT and 2900 passengers. Solstice class are 122,000-126,000 GRT and between 3240-3463 passengers

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf

Edited by scottamiller

There is no cruise sceduled from february 27th to march 19th in 2016. That would confirm this information.

We have booked a cruise on Summit on march 26th 2016... The ship should be top notch... Good news.

The day the 2016 Itineraries came out, I tried to book the Summit for the Feb. 27th date. I quickly noticed there were 3 weeks missing from the schedule. Since a 3 week charter was most unlikely, it was apparent to me that a maintenance dry dock was planned.

This is the first time I've seen it confirmed by anyone. It will be interesting to see what work they have planned.

We're on Summit March 19th. Our first time getting a ship right out of drydock. Unfortunately I haven't been on her before so will not see any changes.

We are booked on the last cruise before this dry dock. Not really fond of that...

We are also booked b2b the two weeks ending Feb 27th...not fond of it either! However, it could be that there are more charters booked for those 3 weeks that are showing unavailable. Curt has said there's one for the third week so maybe there are charters the other two as well? Fingers crossed!!

We are also booked b2b the two weeks ending Feb 27th...not fond of it either! However, it could be that there are more charters booked for those 3 weeks that are showing unavailable. Curt has said there's one for the third week so maybe there are charters the other two as well? Fingers crossed!!

No, it's going into drydock. Confirmed by Celebrity.

I think you'll have a great cruise on the Summit even if it is going into dry-dock right after.

I have a confirmed reservation for March 12, 2016 on this ship. What is an Atlantis Charter?

It's an all gay charter cruise. They do 4 or 5 a year on Celebrity and some on some other lines as well.

Atlantis has not yet PUBLICLY announced this trip, they typically don't till May or so, but they have alerted their frequent cruisers of the deal, and their San Juan cruise is done every-other year, and was not done last year (I was on it the year prior).

You should look for a Plan B just to be sure. I just checked, and that date is definitely no longer being dolls by Celebrity. So I'd find my Plan b and get it booked now, to reserve space, then when you get the official announcement of the cancellation and perks you can get, have them tack them onto the new reservation. I doubt any Customer Service folks have a clue as to the cancellation, and likely can not provide any alternative booking support until it's officially signed - unless it's already been done, and somehow X couldn't reach you.

In this circumstance if you rebook your reservation, I'd expect you'd keep any current perks on current reservation, get $200 OBC or so for the inconvenience, and be offered a smattering of 5-10 cruses to choose rom where your current cabin fare will be honored. If those don't work, then you would book whatever you want likely keeping perks and getting the OBC, but pay prevailing fare. As well, a full refund can be made.

I had a 3 day sailing on Constellation canceled on me last year 3 months prior to sailing - they decided to do a quick drydock repair instead, so the offers I'm quoting above they should provide to you, come from what was offered to me, but of course subject to change.

Likely Atlantis has not yet fully signed the contracts and remitted the ginormous deposit and letter of Guarantee, and as such, X has not yet officially canceled this sailing to those already booked.

To confirm -- the Atlantis Cruise I'm talking of is on Summit out of San Juan on March 12-19 2016.

Thanks for the information cle-guy. I will check with my Celebrity Vacation Planner to check for alternatives. I am a little confused because the dates and ship are correct, but my cruise leaves from New Jersey, not San Juan.

Thanks for the information cle-guy. I will check with my Celebrity Vacation Planner to check for alternatives. I am a little confused because the dates and ship are correct, but my cruise leaves from New Jersey, not San Juan.

Celebrity's schedule shows Summit arriving in NJ on May 1, 2016. She is sailing from San Juan throughout April 2016, with the April 23 sailing being the last San Juan sailing.