Ever miss a port due to weather or other issues?

Grand Cayman (October 3 years ago) due to weather-too high waves because of wind direction. The Captain announced it after I had figured it out as we passed by. And we missed Roatan due to strikes against the power company. People were blocking the road. We had pulled up to the pier and tied up but then we untied and left about 15 minutes later. No big deal, things happen which are out of everyone's control. We have since made Grand Cayman once - this past Nov. We're supposed to be there again in Dec so hope to make it as it really is a nice, pretty port. We made Coco Cay the one time we tried, although we probably shouldn't have as it was rough getting on and off the tender as well as rainy.

We met someone who had tried and failed to get to Grand Cayman at least 4 times. There are also those that post here who have been multiple times and never missed. It's random and based on weather which can vary day to day.

Edited by BND

We missed Nassau on Oasis last year as the captain did a great job rerouting us around a hurricane. DH and I weren't bothered as we'd been there earlier in the year - our sons were very disappointed to miss their first experience of Senor Frogs :D

Missed Coco Cay a few times but just enjoyed our day at sea.

Missed Barcelona due to a bad storm. The port closed and we had to detour around Sardinia and got into Monaco the night before the orig. schedule. That bad and good. Really wanted to see Barcelona but the extra time in Monaco was great.

Better safe than sorry when at sea and dealing with storms.

Oh where to beginn....

Lerwick (more than once)

Throshavn (more than once)

Akureyri

St. Johns NF(more than once)

Halifax

Plymouth

Portofino

Jamaica (can´t remember the actual port)

Holyhead

Nanortalik

I´m not sure the list is complete, but that´s the ones I can think about now.

Besides missing due to weather conditions, we have missed a port because the ship did a rescue at sea in the middle of the night. We took on board the 18 member crew of a sinking vessel.

Yes, there were people on the cruise that complained the port was missed due to the ship stopping to render aid.

Missed Sydney, Nova Scotia last September on the Legend due to high seas and bad weather. The CD and his team stepped in very quickly with lots of activities. You did miss the public spaces like the library that were taken out during the refurb as every chair was taken. They did add a lunch service in the MD.

Missed a few ports over the years. The first time we had Roseau, Dominica on our itinerary, we missed that stop due to rough seas. As the sky was blue and weather warm, the captain took the ship as near to the dock as he could to show the passengers the huge waves crashing over the road in case we didn't believe it! Another time we missed St. Thomas due to bad weather, and captain was happy to advise us that he substituted St. Martin, until that port was closed too.

It doesn't bother us really, we'd rather be safe. If we miss a port that we really wanted to visit, we figure we'll see it on a future cruise.

I've missed Coco Cay a few times due to weather and rough seas. One time the ship skipped Coco Cay and went straight to Nassau and we stayed there overnight. One time the ship just reversed Coco Cay and Nassau stops.

The only other port I missed was St. Maarten due to a hurricane nearby. The ship was unable to port due to large swells in the port area. So the ship headed back out and we had an extra sea day.

We have missed 3 that I can readily remember:rolleyes:.

First was missing Grand Cayman on Rhapsody, due to Hurricane Isidore. Instead, we became the first RCI ship to go to Belize.

Also missed St. Maarten on Freedom one Sept. Cruised right up to the dock but didn't dock and left instead.

Also, missed Cobh, Ireland due to weather.

Was on a Carnival cruise about 5 years ago when the Pilot from the Port of Nassau crashed the ship in to the dock. It was a pretty good lick as the whole ship shook hard. The ship started losing oil and the port authority kicked us out of port and back out to sea where temporary repairs where done. It was no biggie for me as I've been to Nassau numerous times but it sucked for many of the big group I was with. They had never been to the Bahamas and wanted to see Atlantis. There was also a big wedding party on board for a Nassau wedding. They gave everyone $100 shipboard credit and we limped back to Jacksonville at half speed.

We have missed Mykonos, Coco Cay, Labadee, and Grand Cayman due to weather or high seas/waves. Missing Mykonos, we were treated to the grandeur and beauty of Taormina in Sicily and that substitution was absolutely fantastic! We are happy precautions are taken if any port/water/waves are iffy. We appreciate the care to our safety and have never felt slighted.

Besides missing due to weather conditions, we have missed a port because the ship did a rescue at sea in the middle of the night. We took on board the 18 member crew of a sinking vessel.

Yes, there were people on the cruise that complained the port was missed due to the ship stopping to render aid.

It doesn't matter what people onboard thought or complained about. By maritime law, the closest ship is supposed to render aid, but it's kind of inhumane and obnoxious to get upset over it.

We go on each cruise knowing that no port is guaranteed and we actually enjoy sea days.

In '99, our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Enchantment became a Western Caribbean cruise shortly after sailing from Ft Lauderdale, due to a hurricane.

In '13, our westbound TA on the Silhouette out of Rome remained in the embarkation port due to high winds. Sailed a day late and lost what was to have been the first port, at Livorno.

Missed ports due to weather on Day 1, whole Alaska itinerary was changed. Capt. spent the day rearranging ports and skipping Hubbard Glacier.:eek: It was a HG cruise.

Missed ports due to mechanical problem with the ship and had to stay in Lisbon waters for a day or two to get it sorted out. RCL were generous with OBC and FCC.

Missed other ports before final payment. Just removed and nothing replaced it.

Missed ports while on board due to weather or medical problems.

Had cruises cancelled, got phone call and OBC on another booked cruise

Had a B2B completely changed- even the length of each cruise, departure and arrival port changed and itinerary ports changed from what we booked! Got OBC and phone call from RCL.

We figure it is an adventure and amazing if we get to go to what we booked!

We figure it is an adventure and amazing if we get to go to what we booked!

That's it!

But isn't it amazing when people bellyache about something that no one really has control over.....I had a scuba excursion booked at a port that was cancelled and some of the divers were complaining as if they were being arbitrarily targeted. So foolish....I just laughed.

We've missed Coco Cay a few times due to weather.

We missed Nassau because of some port scheduling snafu and went to Freeport instead. No big deal for us, but a huge deal for the wedding party on board who expected to do a destination wedding in Nassau.

We missed the Azores on a transatlantic due to bad weather, and went to Tenerife instead.

Can the wedding party get another wedding on Nassau for no cost with all expenses paid including airfare cruise etc as it was a scheduling problem and not due to weather as Royal knew well in advance about the wedding and especially if it was booked with Royal's wedding dept? I wonder how Royal made it up to the wedding party?

Edited by travelplus

I have missed Co Co Cay every time I have tried to go there (4 times). My parents on the 5th time where on Grandeur when she caught fire so now we don't do any trips with that stop on it. We have had stops canceled due to medical reasons like missing one port to go to the freeport and get the pleasure of docking in the industrial yard. Only time I get upset really is when the cruise line cancels a dive due to "lack of participation" or the times that they cancel because there are 3 foot waves out at the dive site. If we cancelled every dive on the east cost for waves at 3 feet we would never dive.

That's it!

But isn't it amazing when people bellyache about something that no one really has control over.....I had a scuba excursion booked at a port that was cancelled and some of the divers were complaining as if they were being arbitrarily targeted. So foolish....I just laughed.

As a diver I can understand if there is weather coming in then yes its good to cancel. However I have had ones cancelled from the ship due to "lack of participation" and with the power of the internet found the company they used and walked a shore with my dive gear and got on their morning charter just by walking up and there were only 6 people on the boat. Asked the owner of the shop why they cancelled and said that RCCL was the one that cancelled because they did not have enough interest in it. Now when ever I got to an island I book all dives off the ship. Have yet to have one not go out due to waves even some that would be rough by analeptic conditions. And the weather ones that don't go out they refund the credit card online.

We missed Coco Cay on our last sailing because of high winds (the tenders couldn't take passengers to and from the island). We kept going toward Nassau and stayed overnight in port (so it turned into a half sea day and then a late afternoon/night and day in port).

I have been fortunate to only miss one port, St. Thomas, back on the Oasis in 2010. A crew member had jumped overboard and the time spent circling back and searching caused us to miss the port. It was very sad, but the crew handled the situation extremely well and kept us well informed.

Fortunately I had been to St. Thomas many times, so missing the port didn't bother me much. However, I felt very bad for a couple seated behind us in the MDR, as their wedding was to take place in St. Thomas. :eek:

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cenamenya