Tell Me About Rhapsody of the Seas

Hi all,

We, my wife and I, nearly 13 year old son, very nearly 16 year old daughter and 20 year old daughter will be embarking on Rhapsody in July, it's not just our first time on Rhapsody but our first ever cruise.

I've read loads and loads of subjects on Cruise Critic which have given me some fantastic advice but nothing specific about the ship we'll be on, there are bits here and there some pre-revitalization and some after but what I would like are YOUR tips and YOUR impressions of the ship, good or bad, any little secrets you may have found while on board her etc, what are the rooms like? We're in adjoining rooms 3068 & 3070, so come on you guys give me a definitive take on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

Thanks

Pete

The ship is lovely, and suits all age groups. Your cabin looks like it is in a great location, close to the lifts and stairs, and with other cabins above and below. We were on deck 3, aft of you and in the middle of the ship, and we barely noticed any motion. However we did have very calm seas on our South Pacific cruise.

I think you'll find plenty to do for all ages in your group, there certainly seemed to be plenty of people of all ages enjoying themselves on our cruise, although we tended to hang out around the Solarium which is usually adults-only (we're in our 60's).

Overall our cruise was good. There was some slow service issues in the MDR at breakfast and lunch, and at some of the bars at busy times, but mostly the staff were wonderful. The ship may have had a change of staff by the time it gets up to your part of the world, I do know our dinner waiter is due for his holidays when the ship reaches Dubai.

I assume you're doing a Mediterranean itinerary, so lots of ports instead of sea days. We didn't do any port excursions on our cruise. They seemed to be very expensive. However they do guarantee that the ship will wait for you if there are any delays returning to the ship at the end of the excursion.

Drinks prices were very expensive on our cruise, as were the packages. However it appears the package prices vary cruise to cruise depending on where the ship is sailing from/to so they may be reasonable for you.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise on Rhapsody. I'm sad she is leaving the Australian region.

We were on Rhapsody in May in Alaska. Loved it so much we booked her again in Sep. for Greek Isles. It isn't a "bells and whistle" type ship. Does have Rock Climbing. But for the kids, you are looking at pool and rock climbing. There will be Adventure Ocean for at least the 13 year old. Not sure about 16 year old.

But you will be on a very port intensive cruise. Lot's of touring. You'll be pretty worn out each day so, in my experience (mind you I am quite a bit older), you'll enjoy just having "down time" on board. There will be pool games, art auctions, and many activities if you are interested. But my guess is that the kids will likely just enjoy the pool area.

But for a European cruise, that seems best. The bigger ships have much more to do, but in the Mediterranean or Greek Isles you likely won't have the time or energy to really take advantage.

There are some pretty good shows on board. Not the level entertainment as the bigger ships, but the Aerial Show in the Centrum is worth seeing. Usually the headliners are pretty good, and the comedians. Of course these are all different than when we were on board last May. But the ship is beautiful, the crew when we were on board was wonderful. Still small enough that you get to know people and see other passengers and the crew throughout the cruise and get to know them.

I think you'll enjoy the ship and the cruise.

Best thing about Rhapsody for us was the crew. They were all happy and friendly and the service was excellent all over the ship. We had Captain Rob and he was excellent too and very visible around the ship.

We really enjoyed the food and service in the MDR.

The solarium on the Rhapsody is covered and therefore not open to the elements like the larger ships. I quite liked that.

I cruised with two teens and they loved the Rhapsody.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Best thing about Rhapsody for us was the crew. They were all happy and friendly and the service was excellent all over the ship. We had Captain Rob and he was excellent too and very visible around the ship.

We really enjoyed the food and service in the MDR.

The solarium on the Rhapsody is covered and therefore not open to the elements like the larger ships. I quite liked that.

I cruised with two teens and they loved the Rhapsody.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

They may open the roof in the solarium in the med as they did on my cruise a couple of weeks back.

Loved the boards near the lifts that tell you whats on, where places are, etc.

No quest but they did do another game that can involve the whole audience.

We were on Rhapsody in May in Alaska. Loved it so much we booked her again in Sep. for Greek Isles. It isn't a "bells and whistle" type ship. Does have Rock Climbing. But for the kids, you are looking at pool and rock climbing. There will be Adventure Ocean for at least the 13 year old. Not sure about 16 year old.

But you will be on a very port intensive cruise. Lot's of touring. You'll be pretty worn out each day so, in my experience (mind you I am quite a bit older), you'll enjoy just having "down time" on board. There will be pool games, art auctions, and many activities if you are interested. But my guess is that the kids will likely just enjoy the pool area.

But for a European cruise, that seems best. The bigger ships have much more to do, but in the Mediterranean or Greek Isles you likely won't have the time or energy to really take advantage.

There are some pretty good shows on board. Not the level entertainment as the bigger ships, but the Aerial Show in the Centrum is worth seeing. Usually the headliners are pretty good, and the comedians. Of course these are all different than when we were on board last May. But the ship is beautiful, the crew when we were on board was wonderful. Still small enough that you get to know people and see other passengers and the crew throughout the cruise and get to know them.

I think you'll enjoy the ship and the cruise.

We too were on the Rhapsody last may, and loved it. And have booked the same Greek Isle cruise on Sept 15. Funny how that is.

But we, too, really thought she was a lovely ship. Didn't have high expectations, but it was really nice. Can't wait to get back on her.

We too were on the Rhapsody last may, and loved it. And have booked the same Greek Isle cruise on Sept 15. Funny how that is.

But we, too, really thought she was a lovely ship. Didn't have high expectations, but it was really nice. Can't wait to get back on her.

Greek Isles is going to be great. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We came off the rhapsody in February just gone cruised up the coast from Sydney to Cairns. We made worldwide headlines as according to the media we were in Cyclone Marcia, well we were but not not quite in it. Captain Rob and his crew did a awesome job. It was our second time on her, she is a very nice kept ship, only 78000 tonnes but handled those 5 metre waves we hit very good. The evening entertainment seems to centre on the centrum, the theatre shows were not too bad . Daytime activities were ok. Just remember she is on the small side and is a lot quieter than bigger ships. She will be a good introduction to sailing. A good idea is join RCI crown and anchor system, get more details on the ship.

Edited by lynsteve

I'm one of a group of 6 that will be cruising on the July 26th departure.

There is a lot of info here. I found a photo album that a cruiser posted shortly after the 2012 refurbishment, but the hosting site was quite slow. So I downloaded the photos, and turned it into a slideshow movie that should play well on all platforms - PCs, tablets, Smart TV, etc.

Should give you a fine idea of what to expect onboard. We were last on this ship about 10 years ago, and we had a great time.

Its been great reading such positive feedback about The Rhapsody as we are on this ship in under 2 weeks! Is anyone else on this cruise? Would love to meet up! :)

Do a search for your roll call (Rhapsody - Singapore to Dubai - May 3, 2015) and you'll "meet up with lots of folks on your cruise"! We have friends who will be on that cruise (I'm from Oz). We love Rhapsody - we've been on her twice and hope to one day be on her again! Smooth sailing and following seas! :D

Its been great reading such positive feedback about The Rhapsody as we are on this ship in under 2 weeks! Is anyone else on this cruise? Would love to meet up! :)

We are on this cruise with you.

Anita is right, there is a very active roll call thread (over 100 pages!): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947672 with lots of information and tips.

• 3 weeks later...

Rhapsody was my first cruise. A friend and I went to Alaska last summer and I couldn't have been happier with the cruise. The staff was amazing and truly made the cruise. The friend I traveled with was concerned because my first cruise was on one of the smaller ships, but Rhapsody was delightful. The second night of the cruise we ran into rough waters (dining rooms nearly empty and barf bags discreetly placed on each level near the stairs). Once I found my sea legs, I didn't have many issues. The Rhapsody handled herself well in strong swells. We were midship on deck 4, so we didn't feel much of the swell. I was very happy wandering around the ship or just hanging out on deck 5 and 6. Conversations and card games were easy to come by. Plenty of dancing, trivia, bingo, and other assorted activities to keep you busy. The entertainment crew does a great job keeping you busy (if you want to be!)

Been on her twice. Loved Rhapsody. Staff were great! Captains were both great. Loved the large in door solarium (with park cafe) and good size centrum. Dining room, food, waiters were all great. Loved both cruises!!

She also does well with bad weather.

Find myself wondering if the larger ships will have the same charm as she did though. Well will find out in Dec.

We were on Rhapsody's last three cruises out of Australia. Sad to see her go. She was our first RCI ship and our favorite.

Guess we'll be looking for a new favorite.

Hi Steve & Veronica. Have a great cruise.:)

• 3 months later...